1 out of 10: Painful 8 6.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-14, 21:15   Link #261
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
You sure about that? How many Gundam incarnations have you seen?? You seen Devil Gundam in G? You seen Moon-Light Butterfly in Turn A? You seen DOUBLE X (GX) shoot mini-atomic mushroom clouds Einstein never meant to be created? You seen the Newtype Dolphin?? Man I'm telling ya, I don't know how much you've seen dude but I've seen it all and let me tell you if 00 is beyond what Gundam fans are accustomed to then Gundam fans don't know jack...

If you ignore the context of realism in each Gundamverse when making statements like this, you miss the boat...
You're right, there. I have never seen G or X... and never finished Turn A =P
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 21:25   Link #262
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
You're right, there. I have never seen G or X... and never finished Turn A =P
Well honesty is the best policy ;p...

I sure hope you go back and watch a few of the older series for comparison...You'll find out 00 is quite tame up to this point...
Old 2007-11-14, 23:02   Link #263
U<3Anime
Boo!

You don't even really need to go back to older series to see the ridiculous things that gundams could do. I mean just look at Akatsuki from GSD. It seems like that thing can reflect almost anything. It deflected a direct shot from Minerva(or was it some other ship? w/e main point is that it manages to deflect a huge ass beam without taking a scratch). Makes me wonder if it could take on requiem or maybe even Genesis?(Yea, i know that's kind of pushing it).
Old 2007-11-14, 23:29   Link #264
Papaya
Sup

Hmm, so if everyone knows about all of this, then why did so many people complain about the space sniping scene?
Old 2007-11-14, 23:36   Link #265
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Hmm, so if everyone knows about all of this, then why did so many people complain about the space sniping scene?
Because everyone doesn't know and you have a decent contingent of people in this forum whose first Gundam Series was SEED, which is what it is, but people like myself and others exist to keep those overblown comments in check...
Old 2007-11-15, 00:11   Link #266
Papaya
Sup

Hehe, silly enough, my first Gundam was Wing, and my second was SEED, and I sorta let the ridiculousness of both series pass by I guess.

I guess it's because I've been watching the UC series lately, and while they have their share of silliness, I've been expecting a more equal balance of power from 00.
Old 2007-11-15, 00:22   Link #267
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
No I think you guys missed my point...I'm not arguing that the Sumeragi scenes are distracting because they ARE fanservice...I'm saying it's distracting because it ISN'T fanservice (thus there is no point to have the character house such juicy and voluptuous boobies)...If her boobs are huge and they don't want to fanservice them then cover them up...But if you want a scene of a commander to be taken with the utmost seriousness then you're gonna have to not make me think about what showing the boobs so overtly really means...
You're basically saying that this episode suffers from the same problem that beset Divergence Eve - artwork that's distracting without serving any purpose whatsoever. I'm not going to venture a guess as to what the creators' purpose was, but it certainly wasn't executed very well.

This seems to be as good a place to run down the list of fantastical technologies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear
UC: The very concept of Newtypes and their shown effects i.e. Psychedelic ghost apparitions, telepathy, telekinesis (try finding something more outstanding in Gundam than a mobile suit singlehandedly pushing away a giant asteroid using its own psychic power), even Wings of Light. UC also has its fair share of technical wierdness (massive wheeled battleships in V anyone?)
Basically anything with the words "newtype" or "Minovsky" attached to them are sheer fantasy. While the motorad fleet is sort of bizarre, it's probably less fantastical than the Minovsky craft stuff we saw in Mobile Suit Gundam.

Quote:
G: It's... G Gundam. It's the most over the top and unrealistic of all Gundams (that's why it's considered a Super Robot show instead of Real like the others).
Everything.

Quote:
Wing
The power of the Twin Buster Rifle isn't really that great (it does not blow colonies up), so it's not too bad. However, Deathscythe's invisibility and the Zero system are nonsense.

Quote:
X: Portable MS-sized Superweapon Cannons (Satellite Cannons).
That, and anything to do with newtypes.

Quote:
Turn-A: Moonlight Butterfly, the most destructive weapon in all Gundam. Not to mention highly advanced Nanotechnology.
Actually, the Moonlight Butterfly is an application of nanotechnology. However, the main problem is that these technologies aren't handled properly. For all sorts of reasons, the technology behind the Moonlight Butterfly isn't depicted with its proper advantages and disadvantages in display. Still Turn A's main offenders are Turn A and Turn X, with all the Dark History nonsense as a distant second.

Quote:
SEED: Mirage Colloid technology and its spinoffs (like the Geschmeidig Panzer), Phase Shift, 150 meter Katanas (seriously, my namesake rocks), and Akatsuki's Yata-no-Kagami armor, and Colony-cutting swords?
There's nothing wrong with Phase Shift armor (it's just an outgrowth of the electric armor designs we're currently working on), and SEED is only an issue if you think of it as a physiological change. On the other hand, you'll have to add Neutron Jammers and the overly-exaggerated differences caused by genetic modification (although the creators did tone down the difference greatly in Destiny).

Quote:
Compare these two Gundam 00, where he have... GN Drives? This would be Victory Gundam level tech for sure, and the inkling of newtype-like phenomenon, but otherwise there's nothing in 00 that has yet to surpass anything before it in terms of hyperbole and "unrealism".
So far, Gundam 00 isn't a great offender compared to the other Gundam shows, but all the GN stuff is starting to venture into the same territory that afflicts the Minovsky stuff.

For the most part, I don't think that having fantastical elements in a show is necessarily a huge detriment. It really depends on what purpose these elements serve, and how they are executed writing-wise. In the case of Gundam 00, part of the reason why the writing has been poor so far is that the creators are reaching for convienient storytelling devices in order to solve the heroe's problems. The plot won't pick up until the decide to throw some setbacks in the heroes' path, and establish some meaningful conflicts along the way. Unfortunately, the realism aspect is a more obvious target for criticism, so it's sort of natural for people to gravitate towards it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya
If you pay careful attention, you'll notice that the more Gundam-familiar posters are complaining about what Exia did in that scene, not the sniping itself. I believe that I'm the only one who pointed out that the other main issue with the sniping is that it establishes an uncomfortable precedent for the rest of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya
Hehe, silly enough, my first Gundam was Wing, and my second was SEED, and I sorta let the ridiculousness of both series pass by I guess.

I guess it's because I've been watching the UC series lately, and while they have their share of silliness, I've been expecting a more equal balance of power from 00.
I think that part of the difference is that those other shows were careful to make the heroes suffer setbacks early on, so any silliness is less of a niggling factor than it is for Gundam 00 so far.
Old 2007-11-15, 03:54   Link #268
Honey_and_Cleaver

Graham and Ali are awesome! This episode makes me think Virtue is the most over powered gundam.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 06:52   Link #269
ReinhartX

wow lol dynames was just stnading in the middle headshotting a few grunts and blasting the rest off....i was laughing at that.... virtue as always just a imba tanker standing there blasting ppl off....exia had some fancy moves =p...the 2 grunts probably didnt saw that beam saber thrown at them coming
ReinhartX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 00:04   Link #270
X207
Gamyūsa

when exia was in phase 1 in ep 6, did he really use 6/7 swords? dont recall that switchsword being used. i counted 4 beam swords, 2 gn blades and a switchsword equipped on it at that scene. im pretty damn happy setsuna has come across worthy opponents.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 00:09   Link #271
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
when exia was in phase 1 in ep 6, did he really use 6/7 swords? dont recall that switchsword being used. i counted 4 beam swords, 2 gn blades and a switchsword equipped on it at that scene.
Actually, Exia was using the GN Sword and GN Long Blade against the first five enemies we see it dispatch. The only weapon Exia didn't use in episode 6 was the GN Short Blade.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 00:18   Link #272
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Actually, Exia was using the GN Sword and GN Long Blade against the first five enemies we see it dispatch. The only weapon Exia didn't use in episode 6 was the GN Short Blade.
wasnt the gn short blade shown in that weapons container? or was it shown on exia in the scenes?
wat was hinted at the 7 swords? theres 3 gn blades and a switchblade, any ideas on wat would the others would be?
Old 2007-11-17, 00:28   Link #273
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
wasnt the gn short blade shown in that weapons container? or was it shown on exia in the scenes?
wat was hinted at the 7 swords? theres 3 gn blades and a switchblade, any ideas on wat would the others would be?
The Short Blade was mounted on Exia's right hip, just that we never saw Exia use it in the episode.

Spoiler for Here's a shot of the short blade mounted on Exia::

It's seven swords because:

GN Sword = 1
GN Short Blade = 1
GN Long Blade = 1
GN Beam Saber = 2
GN Beam Dagger = 2

Which adds up to seven blades in total.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 01:00   Link #274
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The Short Blade was mounted on Exia's right hip, just that we never saw Exia use it in the episode.

Spoiler for Here's a shot of the short blade mounted on Exia::

It's seven swords because:

GN Sword = 1
GN Short Blade = 1
GN Long Blade = 1
GN Beam Saber = 2
GN Beam Dagger = 2

Which adds up to seven blades in total.
ty, seems i missed that hip mounted dagger when i watched the raw and sub.