AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-12-13, 14:34   Link #61
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
It looks... Unfinished. Shouldn't the wires be all tucked away?
Test and Evaluation model. According to the article it was mounted on a CIWZ platform and test fired at UAVs. And that the Navy is seriously looking at this as a possible replacement for missiles.
Cool stuff Gundamfan0083 thanks!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 15:30   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Gee.. and we just asked people not to bring politics into the thread.... (sigh).

Firearms also flow like crazy from South America (where many firearms are manufactured, especially pistols) but yes, there's a serious enforcement problem with arms trafficking. There's also a serious problem with Mexico's entire government in terms of corruption, powerful families (both legal/illegal) controlling/influencing secular authorities there. I sometimes characterize it as the 'end-game' of the US as the middle-class vanishes.
Old 2010-12-13, 15:33   Link #63
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Gee.. and we just asked people not to bring politics into the thread.... (sigh).
You did? I'm sorry. I read the article and was going to post it in the News Story thread, but figured since this is a General Discussion of guns (which I haven't paid any attention to), it might serve this thread better. If you would like, I can delete my post (I don't want to unnecessarily upset the thread goers).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 16:03   Link #64
Lost Cause

Quote:

Firearms also flow like crazy from South America (where many firearms are manufactured, especially pistols) but yes, there's a serious enforcement problem with arms trafficking. There's also a serious problem with Mexico's entire government in terms of corruption, powerful families (both legal/illegal) controlling/influencing secular authorities there. I sometimes characterize it as the 'end-game' of the US as the middle-class vanishes.
I totally agree Vexx! And would like to add that I wonder just how many of these "American guns" might be coming from El Salvador, or Colombia? I seem to remember that we provided military aid to these countries during the drug wars of the 80's!
Politics and personal feelings aside, but it's always easier to blame a thing than it it to blame the person(s) using the thing! And until the bureaucrats decide to make effective laws that actually work, it's going to be the same old thing of "finger pointing"!

This does smack of more if a political thread story that a gun thing.

Ride, Boldly Ride!

Last edited by Lost Cause; 2010-12-14 at 19:30.
Old 2010-12-13, 18:43   Link #65
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
This does smack of more if a political thread story that a gun thing.
You might want to ask Asuras then if I can change the title of the thread to "General Gun Appreciation" (or something along those lines), or if he/she would edit their OP to include some rules disallowing any actual discussion of guns beyond their general purpose use, because "General Gun Thread" is simply begging for a anti-gun person to storm in and start accusing everyone of being baby-killers (or whatever anti-gun individuals accuse others of being).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 18:57   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agreed.... so far its just been a listing of who has what and what people like. "General Firearm Appreciation" or "Firearm Hobby Talk" might be better.
Old 2010-12-13, 20:28   Link #67
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Test and Evaluation model. According to the article it was mounted on a CIWZ platform and test fired at UAVs. And that the Navy is seriously looking at this as a possible replacement for missiles.
Cool stuff Gundamfan0083 thanks!
You're welcome.
The Sci-Fi fanatic in me thinks it's neat that the US is pushing towards energy weapons.
I know...I know, it's still a deadly weapon, and people will eventually die due to them.
Nevertheless, its one step closer to Turbo-Lasers and Phasers so...I'm still jazzed about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
This seemed as good a place as any to place this article:
As Mexico drug violence runs rampant, U.S. guns tied to crime south of border

Interesting article with only a little bias. It certainly paints an interesting picture of the problems that can occur with even the legal selling of firearms.

In many respects, I do think this encapsulates the underpinnings of many of the debates concerning firearms.
I won't spend any real time on this since this thread is not supposed to be political.
I'll simply direct you to the op-ed pieces done by David Alsabery of the Santa Monica Daily Press and Radley Balko of Reason magazine.
Those two op-ed pieces do a fine job of explaining the situation in a rational, measured manner without all of the hoplophobic hyperbole of the mainstream press.

Gun control doesn't work, China's growing gun culture has made this incontrovertible.
The Chinese gun culture has been on the rise for some time now, and as the previous article points out, it's not going away anytime soon.

With that said, allow me to move on back to the general subject of this thread.

Here's a nasty little sucker being developed by the US Army.
Might be the begining of a much broader move towards actual MECHA!!!

It allows the user to lift far more than an conventional soldier and I can only imagine the kinds of weaponry a soldier in this suit could use.

Here's the article and a video to explain the machine.
http://www.botjunkie.com/2007/11/27/...mech-warriors/

Just found this and thought I'd add it to this post in order to show how far back multi-shot weapons go.

This is a beautiful eight-shot wheel-lock revolver made in the early 1500s.:

article here.

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2010-12-13 at 22:19. Reason: Found something cool to add, didn't want to double post.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 12:14   Link #68
Asuras
Dictadere~!

This thread is meant for the discussion, debate of effectiveness/proper usage, or whatever may, of anything and everything military or gun related.

I'm not sure what to change the title too, as it seems we need one. "Firearms Hobby Thread" and "Gun Appreciation" don't exactly entail that, at least IMO.
Old 2010-12-14, 12:59   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
This is a beautiful eight-shot wheel-lock revolver made in the early 1500s.:

article here.
That's fabulous, looks like a bit of steampunk art.
Old 2010-12-14, 20:42   Link #70
Lost Cause

So whatever happened to those old break open revolvers, like the Webley? They seemed to speed up the reloading process due to their self-ejecting system, so why didn't they become more popular?

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-12-14, 22:01   Link #71
GundamFan0083

Quote:
That's fabulous, looks like a bit of steampunk art.
I think so also, and I agree it certainly does have a steampunk look to it.
I bet it would make fine model-art for mangata who are writing stories set in the Renaissance, or Industrial revolution eras.
I can see a dark hero/heroine wielding a pair of these pistols against werewolves, vampires, or other natural and supernatural nasties.

Quote:
So whatever happened to those old break open revolvers, like the Webley? They seemed to speed up the reloading process due to their self-ejecting system, so why didn't they become more popular?
Break open models were expensive, so they never really caught on.
The Remington model 1858 and Colt model 1851/52 both had detachable cylinders and were cheaper overall.

Remington Model 1858:

Colt Model 1851/52:

Currently A. Uberti firearms still offers the old SchoField break open revolvers in various styles and calibers (some are blackpowder).
If you're interested in getting one of these fully operational, quality, reproductions you may want to check out their website.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/top_break.php

Here's their basic model:

Old 2010-12-14, 22:46   Link #72
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
If you're interested in getting one of these fully operational, quality, reproductions you may want to check out their website.
Its so tempting...... I must.... Buy!
Old 2010-12-14, 22:49   Link #73
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
LC's gonna love the Webley pretty much...

but never EVER EVER the colt navy.... EVAR....... im so tired of the gunpowder residue on my left hand.....

guys, meet the OC14 Groza... lovechild of the AK47 and either L85A1 or AUG

my fave of the avtomat rifles... Nikonov's AN94....
Spoiler for AN 94 5.45x39:

wonder why this thing isnt that popular with the Russian army

oh and the KS23 still is in service... right?
Spoiler for KS23 pistol grip:
Old 2010-12-14, 22:53   Link #74
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
[IMG]
[/IMG]
From what I heard, yes it still is by Russian Law Enforcement.
Old 2010-12-14, 23:18   Link #75
GundamFan0083

Quote:
LC's gonna love the Webley pretty much...

but never EVER EVER the colt navy.... EVAR....... im so tired of the gunpowder residue on my left hand.....

guys, meet the OC14 Groza... lovechild of the AK47 and either L85A1 or AUG

my fave of the avtomat rifles... Nikonov's AN94....
Spoiler for AN 94 5.45x39:

wonder why this thing isnt that popular with the Russian army

Sweet.
How does the OC14 handle I wonder?

You reminded me of a weapon type a buddy of mine used to own years ago.
The SVT-40.

When the Soviet Union fell a whole slew of these semi-automatics flooded the American market.
He bought one, but OMG the kick from the 7.62x54 Russian round was rougher than an M1 Garand!
He sold it after a few years because he just got tired of the recoil and the field stripping (which was hellatious).
The AK or SKS it is not.
Otherwise it was a very accurate and powerful rifle at considerable range.
Old 2010-12-14, 23:26   Link #76
ZeKeR
Superbad

Tokarev's SVT40... i remember the gun... the 7.62x39 it used is now in the AK47... still prefer the mosin nagant tho...
Old 2010-12-14, 23:51   Link #77
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

What about the Wheellock now there is a gun
Old 2010-12-15, 02:34   Link #78
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
All the Bad Company 2 fans will know of the MP412 "Rex". A Russian revolver with a top break action. My take on the design is that a roll out cylinder makes for a sturdy weapon whereas the only moving part is the cylinder.

Quote:
Tokarev's SVT40... i remember the gun... the 7.62x39 it used is now in the AK47... still prefer the mosin nagant tho...
The SVT used the 7.62x54R round.

I have to say my favourite Russian rifle of WWII was the AVS-36. Shame it suffered from so many problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
How does the OC14 handle I wonder?
Being an inline Bull-Pup I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier to keep rounds on target in full automatic and would point to targets very well compared to a standard Kalashnikov.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 03:03   Link #79
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
All the Bad Company 2 fans will know of the MP412 "Rex". A Russian revolver with a top break action. My take on the design is that a roll out cylinder makes for a sturdy weapon whereas the only moving part is the cylinder.

The SVT used the 7.62x54R round.

I have to say my favourite Russian rifle of WWII was the AVS-36. Shame it suffered from so many problems.

Being an inline Bull-Pup I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier to keep rounds on target in full automatic and would point to targets very well compared to a standard Kalashnikov.
wait, 54?! wawawawawait.......... ya, yer right... sorry... info mixed up... coz i never really held the actual bullet, only the magazine...
Old 2010-12-15, 04:27   Link #80
GundamFan0083

Quote:
You must be thinking of the SVD Dragonov sniper rifle.
That is based on the AK-47 but fires the 7.62x54R round.

Here's a pic for reference:

Tags
firearms, guns