AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-13, 14:20   Link #1
Soujiro10

Ready, Set, FIGHT-O!!!

What can I say? I love the fighting anime genre, and I’ve seen a lot of it. Now I need my fix of more animated ass-whupping. Not just any regular beat-downs either. I'm looking for the good stuff. I want the stuff that’s so wonderfully animated and choreographed that I end up losing myself in violent awesomeness

Some of the anime which i personally thought had some awesome fight scenes:
Rurouni Kenshin
Hajime No Ippo
(Dempsey Roll!!!!)
Bleach
Naruto
(Gaara fight = much luv)
Dragonball Z (yeh i know it lagged. but still......)
Hunter X Hunter
Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's
(still think Shakugan no Shana should have taken some notes from this anime's fight scenes)
(these are all i can think of atm. I'm sure theres a lot im forgetting)

If anybody can recommend some anime with some truly A++ memorable fighting then please, share the wealth

Last edited by Soujiro10; 2006-05-15 at 03:07.
Old 2006-05-13, 15:07   Link #2
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Fate/stay night. Definitely.
Old 2006-05-13, 15:10   Link #3
jedinat

The fight scenes in Blood+ are pretty good.

I tend to like an anime in spite of the fighting

~geh, Fate/stay has crappy combat
Old 2006-05-15, 03:24   Link #4
Soujiro10

Yah currently already watching Fate/Stay Night. Personally I think that the fighting is ok but it lacks a certain......."oomph". Not sure really why. I guess it's something to do with the pacing or shortness. I was watching Blood+ a while ago but it ended up in the back-burner after an episode where nothing was really happening. Guess ill come back to it again. Oh and of-course I enjoy all types of anime. It's just that right now I have the urge to find something with kick-ass fight scenes that I can show to my friends and have them go "ooooh!"

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em' coming
Old 2006-05-15, 11:03   Link #5
FiRe_RoSe82
SaKuRa-HiMe

Send a message via Yahoo to FiRe_RoSe82
Hmm.. you might wanna check these out:

Chrno Crusade
Flame of Recca
- i bet you will enjoy this
Shaman King
Tenjou Tenge
The Law of Ueki
- characters have weird powers but its still interseting

Check its synopsis at AnimeNewsNetwork!

I can only recall what's on my mind at the moment. I let you know again if i do have more.
Old 2006-05-15, 16:08   Link #6
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Definitely check out Chrno Crusade, great story, good action.

Two more recomandations are

Tokko - It's pretty violent, the fighting are pretty good.
Black Lagoon - This show is about a group of modern day pirates, the gun fights are very well done.
Old 2006-05-15, 16:41   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I find it hard to believe Nanoha was put in this list ... great magical battles and special effects but not really the center of the show. Same for Blood+

second jedinat --- too much fighting and I might as well be watching wrestling actors puff up and shout at each other. (I prefer live-action with accomplished artists over animation for fight-based drama). To be interesting to me, fighting is something characters do to solve problems, not just to fight.
Old 2006-05-15, 22:44   Link #8
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Airmaster. It's licensed though, but I don't think they ever finished releasing DVDs for it.
Old 2006-05-16, 22:02   Link #9
DarthAndy

Send a message via MSN to DarthAndy
Soujiro10, you should really watch Tenjou Tenge. There are hot chicks, blood, some psycho characters with special abilities, and of course FIGHTING.

ps. don't forget to download the OVA if you are going to watch this show
Old 2006-05-16, 23:03   Link #10
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAndy
Soujiro10, you should really watch Tenjou Tenge. There are hot chicks, blood, some psycho characters with special abilities, and of course FIGHTING.
lol... if that were directed at me I wouldn't be sure whether you were recommending it or telling me why not to watch it.

Okay I exaggerate. Hot chicks and and a bit of blood is generally nice. But still, the show is obviously lacking in the story and character department, which you don't bother to mention and most people consider the most vital part of any anime. But obviously that is not what the OP is asking for.
sry...I guess I just like to post.
Old 2006-05-17, 01:05   Link #11
DarthAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Okay I exaggerate. Hot chicks and and a bit of blood is generally nice. But still, the show is obviously lacking in the story and character department, which you don't bother to mention and most people consider the most vital part of any anime. But obviously that is not what the OP is asking for.
sry...I guess I just like to post.

The VERY long flashback in the later episodes of Tenjou Tenge when Shinn steal's Nagi's spotlight is quite irritating but from what I have heard of the manga, there will be many more things happening with Nagi. However, the flashbacks do show us some character development and at the very least, make watchers feel that the characters aren't fighting randomly I really hope they continue the anime as the manga progresses.

Personally, lack of story doesnt bother me much. Hot chick + katana + psycho eyes = WIN
Old 2006-05-17, 01:41   Link #12
Misuzu
Dribble.....SHOOTOH!

Licensed: Gungrave

Unlicensed: All I can think of that wasn't mention is Shadow Skill: Secret of the Kurudan Style. Action anime tends to get picked up fairly quickly.
Old 2006-05-17, 02:17   Link #13
Soujiro10

Vexx: "great magical battles and special effects" is exactly why I put it in that list . That list I compiled was just whatever anime I could think of atm that had fight scenes that were really memorable and enjoyable to me regardless of what kind or actual genre they fell in

When I first posted this thread I was really just thinking about satisfying a random urge to find any anime with "sweet ass fights". On second thought though, I have to agree that characterization and story are pretty important to make a truly enjoyable anime-watching experience regardless wether the prime prerequisite is just "ZOMG! Crazy fighting FTW!!!!11111". Watching a nicely animated fight between two characters that I dont give a dam about is just as lame as watching a boring and ugly fight between nicely made characters.

So in short the new criteria is Anime with cool characters, crazy fight-scenes, and an interesting, well-told back story to boot

About Tenjou Tenge....in all honesty I have mixed feelings about this one. I
watched all 24 episodes of the t.v. series in basically one sitting so it did keep me interested but personally I thought it had some huge downfalls. Maya, Bunshichi and Shin were gold but I really hated Nagi, Bob, and Aya (for a trio of main characters they really felt like uninteresting, underdeveloped side chars). Additionally, I have to admit the first fight scene was awesome and drew me in. However........all the other fight scenes were so basic and poorly animated that it seriously made me sad thinking about what could have been (the last fight with Nagi.....ugh i cant even begin to say how much i hated it). I dunno....does it get better with the ova?

Gonna definitely check out (when I have the time lol):
Chrno Crusade
The Law of Ueki
Tokko
Shadow Skill
Airmaster

The rest I've either already fully watched or ended up putting in the back-burner for one reason or another. Muchas gracias for the recommendations so far
Old 2006-05-17, 20:22   Link #14
DarthAndy

Spoiler for Tenjou Tenge:

I found Samurai Champloo to have quite nice sword-fighting scenes but the storyline and character development is below average
Old 2006-05-17, 21:51   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

How can One Piece not be mentioned?

Its the best long running series ever.

Kaizoku > ninja or shinigami or anything else
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-05-26, 07:02   Link #16
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Try both seasons of Grappler Baki...this is fights galore, tournament-style!
Old 2006-06-15, 00:41   Link #17
Kingpincollector

If you can put up with dated animation, don't forget the classic Hokuto No Ken/Fist of the North Star. And screw anyone who says it sucks....the story is how anime/manga should be done.
Old 2006-06-15, 02:42   Link #18
einlancer
stick-figure-man

Quote:
So in short the new criteria is Anime with cool characters, crazy fight-scenes, and an interesting, well-told back story to boot
I think Samurai 7 is a must, as well as Samurai X reminiscence, and of course Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heavens Door
Old 2006-06-15, 03:23   Link #19
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

With that, I suggest Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo.
Old 2006-06-15, 09:24   Link #20
saznami

um... Try Saiyuki. Tenjou Tenge I highly recommend. trust what the others have said.
Closed Thread