Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-25, 12:03   Link #781
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
This is getting utterly ridiculous. If you read the topic the guy who makes it is clearly talking about in the American market because that's the place where One Piece is dwarfed by several other manga series. One Piece is a failure in the American market and basically nowhere else, so by unerstanding that he must be talking about the American market.
So why do we even care what the op intended? His post was 38 pages ago. What we are discussing right now is only very tenuously linked to his post.

Besides, i was under the impression that the op was misled into believing that one piece did not sell as well as Naruto / Bleach anywhere in the world aside from Japan, which is not true as stats have proven. Thus, we can conclude he was mistaken in his belief.

Posters in this thread have also concluded the reasons as to why One Piece is not as popular in the US. Therefore, the whole topic is moot since it has already been played out, its rather pointless to keep discussing the same thing for 38 pages don't you think?

Americans are always so US-centric in their views..
Old 2010-03-25, 12:40   Link #782
OMOCHIKAERI!
SOLDIER 1st class

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Anyways, to make a long story short, Naruto and Bleach appeared far more cool that One Piece in their initial episodes but became far less interesting along the way, while One Piece became far more interesting. First impressions mean a lot to the majority of people.

Also, 4KIDS promoted it as a series for 5 year olds when it is not. Bad promotion mean bad reception.

Currently, One Piece is overall the best in the field and all the rest are history.

As for popularity, noone with a mind of his/her own should ever blindly watch only what the majority likes... and like it because the majority likes it. Or else we should all have made a temple to Twilight by now since it has the most followers.

High popularity personally makes me ten times more critical as my expectations are risen skyhigh. Better have as less bias as possible when starting to watch something.
You hit the nail on the head much, much better than I could.

I don't think One Piece has ever been a sellout for higher ratings in its whole run.
Old 2010-03-25, 13:30   Link #783
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I really felt like a detective today and since I have time, I decided to put a nail into the coffin for the argument of whether the poster is referring to US or international popularity.

First of all, the poster himself is not American at all, he uses British English and is very likely a British himself, evidence:

He uses British spelling in his words and I've quoted his posts, put the words in bold, it was easy to search since he has only 29 posts, I just read through every single one of them:
Spoiler for evidence quotes:

For further supporting evidence, I did a search on Google for his username, the username appeared on a Youtube profile and it was stated that he is English, British, from UK, not US

-------------------

Based on my evidence, he is most likely not an American and from the opening post of this thread and the title of the thread itself, he never mentioned anything about the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigkrunch View Post
Now I love naruto and bleach, One piece doesnt have the "wow cool" factor that they do.

My main thought is why is One Piece less popular. Any ideas?
He merely thought that One Piece is not popular compared to Bleach/Naruto because it doesn't have the "wow cool" factor. Its simply an assumption of his to think that One Piece is not popular in general. It has nothing to do with One Piece being popular in US or not. The lack of evidence pointing that this thread is talking about One Piece's popularity in the US can only tell us that this thread is not talking about anything US at all.

Americans are not the only people on the internet, don't think that everything on the internet has an American context. What is 'logical', 'obvious' and 'clear' to you is obviously your own assumptions.
----------------

And for One Piece's popularity itself, its not the type of story that people watch because others watch. One Piece's character design has been well known to be a turn off for many people. The reason it has gotten such popularity is because of its own substance, it attracted people by its great story and setting, not by publicity. Not everyone can be persuaded by peer pressure to read 500+ chapters, those who read it are attracted by the story itself.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2010-03-25, 20:28   Link #784
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
The animation has changed a lot since the begining of the series. Maybe now it is easier to be liked by more people.
Old 2010-03-26, 21:34   Link #785
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
The animation has changed a lot since the begining of the series. Maybe now it is easier to be liked by more people.

I personally think that its how the rest of field had changed. OP's art was actually pretty similar to DB or Ruonin Kenshin, yet no one said DB was cartoonish. And if you read Cross Epoch, it would be tough to figure out the two styles.

Most asian did have any problem with art to begin with since they were still in line with rest of Shonen titles which usually features eccentric art style anyway.

What I do think was different for western reader was because they got introduced to anime/manga via series like Lodass War, Ninja Scroll, etc. Series that was more intune of Seinen than Shonen. As such they are expose to a more mature manga style like AMG or City Hunter. Even series like Kenshin, westerners(especially U.S.) was introduced via Samurai X OVA, which differs from original art style drastically and was actually criticized in Eastern Asia as such.

When you think about, Ranma1/2, YuYu Hakusho, and DB were really the only
Old 2010-03-27, 14:08   Link #786
Kasiro

Because One Piece doesn't have Hinata. You know, the shy girl every geek loves.
Old 2010-03-28, 05:46   Link #787
Orath
Gunpla newborn

Send a message via MSN to Orath
Hinata ...

Come on! if you are a nerd, then you can't pass for anyone less than Robin
She is the queen of Nerds
Old 2010-03-28, 19:10   Link #788
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk

O_O; ...................
Old 2010-03-29, 16:07   Link #789
noktown

Why does this thread still exist ?Right now One Piece is more popular than Bleach and Naruto(put together) have ever been...

I mean that it's kind of funny how new people still reply in this thread,giving reasons why One Piece is less popular while it's clearly not ;o
Old 2010-03-29, 23:32   Link #790
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
It has always been more popular then Bleach/Naruto.
Old 2010-03-30, 01:59   Link #791
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Will please someone lock this thread already? I think we had enough of misunderstandings over a topic that no longer is valid.
Old 2010-03-30, 02:06   Link #792
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Thread closed.
Closed Thread