AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2010-12-24, 04:57   Link #7461
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Actually, that's exactly why I'm puzzled. It's quite clear if you're actually paying attention to everything, including the other characters, that he doesn't love Athena more.
Hinagiku can be quite stupid sometimes, and even she's seeing clues to it. Why else would she have reacted the way she has in the last chapters if she thinks she's already lost? Hayate even told her that he loves Athena, yet she's not acting in any way like the game's over. And she's not even trying to play for herself!
lol, it's probably a bad time to have these kinda discussion... but what's being highlighted, no one believes that. I mean that’s quite the exaggeration to believe so..... A-tan said no, not because she doesn't love Hayate anymore but for other reason (it's quite clear from the manga). Otherwise she wouldn't say "Let's return to Japan in the same chapter". Lol, why does it feel like I'm replying to a conspiracy theory, like trying to conspire the meaning of volume 25 being a lie and more recently chapter 300-301.

Anyone can tell there's still a relationship going; the meaning of farewell sometimes isn't just an end but circumstantial where feelings are still lingering. In my view volume 25 end chapter follows this situation. Rather trying to be suborn, about the matter, you should notice that interpretation can vary to each person base on an earlier post I wrote however the basis of interpretation shouldn't be use as a fact when something as vague as body language ( at least when it isn’t as detail enough, yes hayate looks the same in most situation)

Hinagiku (Hina-tan) can keep fighting because she has a chance but a very slim one atm. Yet there is nothing wrong with her to keep trying, since I enjoy characters with love interest trying their best to win.

What I'm looking for is how Hayate feel because the voices and feeling of the girls (Hayate Harem) are irreverent in the end decision. Not that it doesn't mean I don't support their action.

Atm I'm more or less trying to find post where people are in agreement with your accusation.

First is with regards to chapter 301 about Hayate affection regarding body language (although using interpretation isn’t reasoning for facts, it’s an opinion). Second would be this one regarding the events after volume 25 that Hayate doesn't love Athena more. I would be more willing to accept if you stated it as an opinion but otherwise what your trying to do is turning an opinion into a fact is where we have a disagreement.

Last edited by Nemuru; 2010-12-24 at 09:33.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 09:29   Link #7462
madmac

So much shipping talk for two chapters that have no meaningful shipping content at all.

Its not as if anything has changed since Golden Week ended, it's just a historical re-enactment of great wars in shipping history.

Quote:
The last panel also gives me much hope of Nagi-Athena interaction.
This is what I'm most looking forward too, personally. Athena has displayed a lot of curiosity about Nagi in the past and I really want to see how they interact.

I'm also hoping Hina drags Ayumu back with her because it just seems wrong to leave her out of the whole thing.

Seriously though, with all the (probable) fanservice and slapstick this set-up calls for this is precisely the worst time to be looking for meaningful shipping hints.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 14:20   Link #7463
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
First is with regards to chapter 301 about Hayate affection regarding body language (although using interpretation isn’t reasoning for facts, it’s an opinion). Second would be this one regarding the events after volume 25 that Hayate doesn't love Athena more. I would be more willing to accept if you stated it as an opinion but otherwise what your trying to do is turning an opinion into a fact is where we have a disagreement.
When you're done living in your 'human-centric' world, the rest of us will be waiting. Humans are the only race of creature that focus on words, and yet the rest of the world, animate and inanimate, still communicates with us. Humans don't even always use the same language to do so all the time.

Hinagiku is acting completely differently to a confession of words for Athena, than when she (falsely) thought Hayate was dating Ayumu.

There's lots of story going on in the character's actions that you can't just ignore. Nagi even said so after destroying the stone in the Golden Week arcs. You can't trust words to give you the true picture.

Hayate is not showing the level of affection his words are describing for Athena since his confession.

@madmac: This isn't a new discussion, it's just been kicked up again with the reemergence of Athena in the last few chapters.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 15:00   Link #7464
Nemuru

Quote:
Snip.........
Lol, in the end we're just going to resort to insults and say the other person is ignoring or cherry picking their examples and response.
Like you’re “reading too much from nothing”
Still my main objective is still a disagreement with your response and

Quote:
Atm I'm more or less trying to find post where people are in agreement with your accusation.
We could go on with just my words vs your but I'm more interested in reading a wider response from other people.

The next few chapters will shed more light on this topic, however I would like to say that I agree with many people here that there hasn't been anything worthy in the past recent chapters to solidify a response that Hayate likes xx more maybe we(me and you) can leave it as such since that was my original intention from the beginning even if I will object to your earlier statement that Hayate show affection towards Hinagiku regarding the latest 2 chapters available. While, it is widely accepted by the many poster in this sub-forum that not much is happening. However if you’re still persistent I have nothing more to say.

P.S merry xmas from Australia (25/12/2010) here
Old 2010-12-24, 15:05   Link #7465
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
So much shipping talk for two chapters that have no meaningful shipping content at all.

Seriously though, with all the (probable) fanservice and slapstick this set-up calls for this is precisely the worst time to be looking for meaningful shipping hints.
I'm pretty much on the same boat as you but, apparently, something, unknowingly to most of us, about the body languages said otherwise.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 23:51   Link #7466
thenightsshadow

Not to say that Hata-sensei is not skilled in regards to drawing and all, but why does body language HAVE to apply to manga?

To me, it's more superfluous and less exact particularly because while those characters can appear, act, and feel real, note that body language is something we do unconsciously at times, but is almost always deliberate in manga.

I dunno, I just think that trying to argue on the basis of body language here is a null point.
thenightsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 13:12   Link #7467
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightsshadow View Post
Not to say that Hata-sensei is not skilled in regards to drawing and all, but why does body language HAVE to apply to manga?

To me, it's more superfluous and less exact particularly because while those characters can appear, act, and feel real, note that body language is something we do unconsciously at times, but is almost always deliberate in manga.

I dunno, I just think that trying to argue on the basis of body language here is a null point.
Except for the fact that twice Hata has explicitly said that you have to pay attention to the body language and not the words being said.

Are we forgetting that at the very start of the story, Nagi misinterpreted Hayate's words to her as a confession when he was actually thinking of kidnapping her. And then in the later chapter of the Golden Week arc she actually said that words can't be trusted to convey actual feelings?
Whether that means that Nagi might actually come to some sort of conclusion that Hayate wasn't confessing to her has yet to come up again.

Hayate pretty clearly hasn't backed up his confession for Athena by his actions.
I've spent 18+ years learning the body language of people, and found a lot of commonalities.
It's also pretty easy to read once you learn the cues.

@ All, sorry about my earlier post, finally pushed to my breaking point and I ended up snapping at you guys.
Would have rathered have snapped at the one who helped get there but telling me that body language means nothing didn't help anything, it's a pet-peeve of mine, read one of my sig quotes here.
Late December is also a bad time to push my buttons also, as I tend to hate the christmas season for what society has turned it into -_-

... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.

Last edited by Bastion_Arcion; 2010-12-25 at 14:06.
Old 2010-12-25, 13:48   Link #7468
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Meh, body language in page 5 of chapter 300 says it all for me. I am NOT at all scared for my ship when it comes to body language, no siree. XD

Nah, what scares me the most right now is Athena giving the ring back, as it symbolizes Hayate's heart (while the ring case symbolizes his body, which btw is both 'owned' by nagi, no coincidence there). In other words, it would mean that his heart is his own again if you think of it symbolically.

That said, I still have great faith that it will all work out in the end (I mean, think of the ramifications that after all this, Hayate gives the ring back!). Either that, or Athena will kick the bucket (the foreshadowing is there if it's true, I'm not gonna lie) and all this is to make Hayate move on properly. In other words, it's as I said last time... any girl to be the winner of Hayate's heart must go through Athena first (ie. the 'big boss'), and this arc could very well be the setup to that.

Glad to see Athena take 2nd spot though, considering how little she actually has appeared in comparison to other characters. Gogogogo A-tan! ^_^

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 15:16   Link #7469
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Except for the fact that twice Hata has explicitly said that you have to pay attention to the body language and not the words being said.
1st: Hata said no such things. Nagi did mentioned something like "words cause misunderstands," but if you use her words, you are contradicting yourself.

2nd: I believe we all know from experiences that both words and actions (or body language) can create misunderstands. When Hayate touched Nagi's bottom, it did not mean he wanted to get intimate with her contrast to Nagi's belief. Nagi misunderstood Hayate's statement "I want you to go out with me (to kidnap you)."

Quote:
Are we forgetting that at the very start of the story, Nagi misinterpreted Hayate's words to her as a confession when he was actually thinking of kidnapping her. And then in the later chapter of the Golden Week arc she actually said that words can't be trusted to convey actual feelings?
Whether that means that Nagi might actually come to some sort of conclusion that Hayate wasn't confessing to her has yet to come up again.
You are contradicting yourself with this example. From above, you think Nagi and Hayate had a misunderstanding and believe Nagi misinterpreted Hayate's words. Why?

Because you believe in the texts "I want you to go out with me (to kidnap you in his thoughts)" that Hayate stated, which was different from Nagi's thought (in words/texts) about being a couple. You believe that their words hold true to themselves and their intentions were different through their words to come to your conclusion that they had a misunderstanding.
Nagi stated that words can cause misunderstandings. Why do you use that statement if you don't believe in the texts?.

The reason Nagi and Hayate misunderstood one another was because they didn't explicitly stated their thoughts. There won't be a misunderstand if Hayate said out loud "I want you to go out with me because I love you or because I want to kidnap you." In Athena's case, Hayate clearly said he loves Athena to Hina out loud, which was something Hina didn't misunderstand.
Old 2010-12-25, 15:50   Link #7470
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
1st: Hata said no such things. Nagi did mentioned something like "words cause misunderstands," but if you use her words, you are contradicting yourself.
I'm wondering how you came to this conclusion, since you answer both situations directly below the statement itself.

Quote:
You are contradicting yourself with this example. From above, you think Nagi and Hayate had a misunderstanding and believe Nagi misinterpreted Hayate's words. Why?
This is why I dislike debating with you. You seem to think you can parcel out a comment and react to it as if the rest of the post doesn't exist.

Quote:
2nd: I believe we all know from experiences that both words and actions (or body language) can create misunderstands. When Hayate touched Nagi's bottom, it did not mean he wanted to get intimate with her contrast to Nagi's belief. Nagi misunderstood Hayate's statement "I want you to go out with me (to kidnap you)."
That was clearly not the intent of the statement, as he's grabbed her in inappropriate places before, during the fishing incident, when he was trying to keep her from being pulled overboard,
She's reading the actions as more intimate than the are intended. In both cases, he's reacting and happens to grab her inappropriately (he doesn't really have much of a choice, she has a small form), he's done similarly to the other young women as well.
Putting his arms around Hinagiku, while they were in costumes (under Nagi's directions no less), and accidentally triggering her berserk button.

Quote:
Because you believe in the texts "I want you to go out with me (to kidnap you in his thoughts)" that Hayate stated, which was different from Nagi's thought (in words/texts) about being a couple. You believe that their words hold true to themselves and their intentions were different through their words to come to your conclusion that they had a misunderstanding.
Nagi stated that words can cause misunderstandings. Why do you use that statement if you don't believe in the texts?.

The reason Nagi and Hayate misunderstood one another was because they didn't explicitly stated their thoughts. There won't be a misunderstand if Hayate said out loud "I want you to go out with me because I love you or because I want to kidnap you." In Athena's case, Hayate clearly said he loves Athena to Hina out loud, which was something Hina didn't misunderstand.
The text tells us explicitly how the statement was misinterpreted. I'm not looking at it separately, as you seem to want to imply, I'm reading the text in addition to the subtext.

In English, the word used was 'love'.
Using only the Greek language, there's four different words that are correctly translated into English as 'love'. And that's only in one language, and not even the original language. He never makes clear which word he's using from an English-speaker's perspective, and even explicitly states before he says them that he's not sure which one should be used.
In this case, I'm implying that the ones who are doing the misreading are the fans who say that Hayate's true love is Athena.

Old 2010-12-25, 16:00   Link #7471
Nemuru

Quote:
In this case, I'm implying that the ones who are doing the misreading are the fans who say that Hayate's true love is Athena.
.................... lol, there wouldn't be depress Hinagiku fan out there if there wasn't some truth to it... (keeping it to small talk to I can enjoy the holiday lol)
Old 2010-12-25, 16:08   Link #7472
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
.................... lol, there wouldn't be depress Hinagiku fan there if there wasn't some truth to it... (keeping it to small talk to I can enjoy the holiday lol)
I've never denied that Hayate has some affection for Athena, he does still hold to his promise of 'eternal love' for her, it's just pretty clear that it's not the 'true love' that Hayate x Athena shippers think it is.

Old 2010-12-25, 18:34   Link #7473
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
I'm wondering how you came to this conclusion, since you answer both situations directly below the statement itself.
Can you show me the page where "Hata said that you have to pay attention to the body language and not the words being said." (like you stated)?

I agreed with Nagi that words can cause misunderstanding (action and behaviors as well), but it depends on how they are used. As readers, we know when misunderstanding are made by the characters through words of their true feelings/thoughts, even though it wasn't their intentions.

Quote:
The text tells us explicitly how the statement was misinterpreted.

The texts just explicitly tell us how the characters truly feel and think, so we don't need to make assumptions.

-When Hina said she's in love with Hayate (in texts), she did not lie.
-When Hayate stated that he tried to kidnap Nagi (in texts), he didn't not lie.
-When Nagi said she wants to be with Hayate forever, she did not lie.
-When Ayumi said she likes Hayate, she did not lie.

-Why should we (the vast majority who believe Hayate romantically loved Athena) think it was misinterpreted when Hayate said he loves Athena (which he never said to any other girl)?

Quote:
I'm not looking at it separately, as you seem to want to imply, I'm reading the text in addition to the subtext.

I've never denied that Hayate has some affection for Athena, he does still hold to his promise of 'eternal love' for her, it's just pretty clear that it's not the 'true love' that Hayate x Athena shippers think it is.
You said before "I only look at the subtext (the art works)" after I stated Hayate said that Athena's not like the others, he said he loves her, and he said she dumped him for evidences. Remember how I said you ignored everything I said.

I don't really know what you mean by "true love" because I never once said or thought about it. I just argued that Hayate DOES loved Athena romantically, in which you denied, as an viewer and other shippers agreed as well, not just Athena's fans.

I'm pretty sure you told me Hayate loves Athena as a mentor a few days ago.

Last edited by zodanhko; 2010-12-25 at 19:11.
Old 2010-12-26, 17:33   Link #7474
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

*sigh* zod, you may now claim the distinction of forcing me to change my sig..
And I'm about to scan this thread (the only place we've talked for the last few days) for the third time to try and find where you're getting that 'quote' from about my only reading the subtext.
I think I might know where you're getting the message from, but the statement clearly says that I didn't get anything additional from the English text that I hadn't already pulled from the body language.
You do also have a habit of reading a statement exactly how you want to, sometimes over the top of me spending quite a bit of time trying to make sure the wording can't be read in that manner.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you told me Hayate loves Athena as a mentor a few days ago.
Are you honestly trying to imply that you can think of someone as a mentor and not have some level of affection for them?

Did Luke not have some affection for Obi-Wan and Yoda?
I know there are more examples of student-mentor relationships, including cross-gender ones, but my brain refuses to spit them out right now >.<
Spoiler:

Old 2010-12-26, 18:54   Link #7475
Nemuru

Quote:
Well I'm glad that I didn't continue on arguing over xxxx........ However I still do like to write whenever I can. And yes I can't win argument vs someone who........ (leaving it imagination). As I can already foresee what kind of response you're going to use but I have to say you need to be less forceful sometimes, since I wouldn't consider something debateable being clear/obvious when discussing your opinion unless there are enough material evidence to state otherwise.

So enough teasing, On balance we could argue the meaning of true love or even affection in general (something I rather not). But I can accept your view that Hayate's true love might not be Athena from Hayate's perspective (debatable) however Athena is the only girl which Hayate has confessed to and shown physical/romantic interest. From one(many) person view that is enough to indicate 'love' considering that Hayate has yet to show that side to others or simply a response that he doesn't hold others in such high esteem base on material events or at least I don't believe anyone can challenge Athena current status while Nagi is debateable although their relationship looks more like a brother and sister type.

I will have some peace of mind and put this entire discuss behind when Hayate action are steered by physical attraction towards A-tan (currently a loli ) or others.

A-tan Quote
Quote:
Will you be my butler.
I died in bliss a few times after reading that . An A-tan confession (yes, this is me trying to reading the subtext).
Old 2010-12-26, 19:04   Link #7476
aldw

Quote:
Well I'm glad that I didn't continue on arguing over xxxx........ However I still do like to write whenever I can. And yes I can't win argument vs someone who........ (leaving it imagination). As I can already foresee what kind of response you're going to use but I have to say you need to be less forceful sometimes, since I wouldn't consider something debateable being clear/obvious when discussing your opinion unless there are enough material evidence to state otherwise.

So enough teasing, On balance we could argue the meaning of true love or even affection in general (something I rather not). But I can accept your view that Hayate's true love might not be Athena from Hayate's perspective (debatable) however Athena is the only girl which Hayate has confessed to and shown physical/romantic interest. From one(many) person view that is enough to indicate 'love' considering that Hayate has yet to show that side to others or simply a response that he doesn't hold others in such high esteem base on material events or at least I don't believe anyone can challenge Athena current status while Nagi is debateable although their relationship looks more like a brother and sister type.

I will have some peace of mind and put this entire discuss behind when Hayate action are steered by physical attraction towards A-tan (currently a loli ) or others.

A-tan Quote

I died in bliss a few times after reading that . An A-tan confession (yes, this is me trying to reading the subtext).
That's pretty much my sentiments as well; however much A-tan may be focused on her goals Hayate's meaning to her won't waver (and vice versa) despite what the naysayers may spout.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 19:05   Link #7477
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
So enough teasing, On balance we could argue the meaning of true love or even affection in general (something I rather not). But I can accept your view that Hayate's true love might not be Athena from Hayate's perspective (debatable) however Athena is the only girl which Hayate has confessed to and shown physical/romantic interest. From one(many) person view that is enough to indicate 'love' considering that Hayate has yet to show that side to others, it is simply a response that he doesn't hold others in such high esteem or at least I don't believe anyone can challenge Athena current status while Nagi is debateable although their relationship looks more like a brother and sister type.
I seem to have a vague memory of Hayate stating somewhere that he could be dating Nishizawa, I don't think it was to her though, but it's still enough to put your statement on questionable ground.
He also seems to hold Hinagiku's relationship to him as somewhat equal to his relationship with Nagi, so there's potential for romance there.. he just thinks she's always angry with him for various reasons.

Old 2010-12-26, 19:13   Link #7478
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
*sigh* zod, you may now claim the distinction of forcing me to change my sig..
And I'm about to scan this thread (the only place we've talked for the last few days) for the third time to try and find where you're getting that 'quote' from about my only reading the subtext.
Did you forget the debate earlier we had on Mangafox after you privately pm me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion
This is entirely based on the subtext of the manga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion
[B]Subtext, done in black and white (and sometimes even color). Ever heard the statement 'actions speak louder than words'?His feelings for Hinagiku and Nagi are 'spoken' louder than those for Athena.

Quote:
Are you honestly trying to imply that you can think of someone as a mentor and not have some level of affection for them?
Ugh...No. Students can have affections for their mentors no doubt.

I was trying to say Hayate loves Athena as a girl, while you think he loves her as his mentor. I supposed there's nothing wrong in assuming Hina loves Hayate as her brother and Nagi loves him as her butler/father if one can assume Hayate loves Athena as his mentor.
Old 2010-12-26, 19:37   Link #7479
madmac

Quote:
I seem to have a vague memory of Hayate stating somewhere that he could be dating Nishizawa, I don't think it was to her though, but it's still enough to put your statement on questionable ground.
No, you're remembering right. Hayate visits his old high school with the Hamster and muses that if his parents hadn't sold him off, they could be dating right now.

It's a recurrent theme with Ayumu, really, Hayate expresses interest but offers various excuses as to why he's just too busy/poor ect to take her up on the offer.

Ayumu consistently interprets this as meaning "he won't look at her" and on balance, she's probably correct. Hayate isn't disinterested in her, but he's not willing to make her his number one priority either, and thus they're at a stalemate.

In 239, Hayate puts Hina and Ayumu side by side, which strikes me as probably correct in the sense that Hayate would happily go out with either of them if it was convenient for him, but he hasn't shown enough interest to really work for it.

Of course, feelings evolve over time, and we're yet to see the full impact of Athena essentially freeing Hayate from his past/allowing him to move on. He's made no attempt to contact her since leaving Athens (And has apparently given the whole thing very little thought until Yozora jostled his memory.) and it would be extremely premature to expect Hayate to go running after her ago just because she's popped back into his life.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 19:41   Link #7480
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Did you forget the debate earlier we had on Mangafox after you privately pm me?
Ah..
Still waiting to hear the part about me only reading the subtext though.
Quote:
Ugh...No. Students can have affections for their mentors no doubt.

I was trying to say Hayate loves Athena as a girl, while you think he loves her as his mentor. I supposed there's nothing wrong in assuming Hina loves Hayate as her brother and Nagi loves him as her butler/father if one can assume Hayate loves Athena as his mentor.
Except that he stares at, and talks about, Hinagiku, Nagi, Maria, and most of the rest of his harem's 'feminine aspects', while he tries to avoid looking too much at the same aspects of Athena.
He even talks about respecting Kotetsu's traits as a butler, but he needs prompting, possibly even significant prompting, to even mention things about Athena.

And it's actually made a pun about which word is used to describe the type of love Hinagiku feels for him, which is the romantic style.

Tags
comedy, shounen