AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-05-20, 03:49   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 980 [manga] (NOTE: NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

We're back! Right now a partial summary is out, courtesy of Redon and co. at AP:

-Chapter title is "Fighting Music". Ministory involves Lola making a marriage proposal to Gotti.

-Continuing from last chapter, Luffy goes on a rampage after witnessing the enemy pirates ridiculing Wano's poor! Soon, Zoro manages to catch up to his captain and attempts to calm him down at first, but when he sees the oshiruko and learns of the reason behind Luffy's anger, he too becomes enraged and joins in on the mayhem!

-The supernova Scratchmen Apoo spots the two troublemakers, and reports the situation to Queen. The all-star, being the opportunist that he is, comes up with an idea: Since he wants to get rid of one of the members of the Tobi Roppou, He offers that member's seat as a reward to anyone who captures Luffy and Zoro! Apoo takes Queen up on his offer, and targets Luffy and Zoro! He not only manages to injure them with his DF ability, he even briefly knocks out Luffy! However, he gets interrupted by fellow worst generation pirate Eustass Kid, who crushes him with his prosthetic scrap arm as revenge for his earlier betrayal.....!!!!

-Unfortunately, THERE IS ANOTHER BREAK NEXT WEEK! I know, it sucks, but Oda himself warned that the breaks would be more frequent due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We'll just have to bear with it for now....

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2020-05-29 at 12:40.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-20, 06:45   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Amazing, Zoro didn't get lost and actually managed to find Luffy, though I assume that was because he heard the commotion Luffy was causing.
Old 2020-05-20, 12:17   Link #3
marvelB

^Yes, I also noticed that this is at least the second time Zoro managed to avoid getting lost this arc (the prior time I recall being when he reached Yasu's execution site with no apparent help from Hiyori). Rather curious, indeed....

Anyway, a little more info's out. Turns out Apoo is joining the fray after all, though Kid may have ended the long-armed one's run rather prematurely. Well, I at least hope we'll get the name of Apoo's DF soon enough....
Old 2020-05-20, 23:41   Link #4
mickbis

Nice sweet revenge Kid !
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-21, 09:06   Link #5
Hoodspirit

More spoilers out, so far nothing of interest as it is just a pure action chapter.
Action is just rehash too according to the leaked panels, no new attacks.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-21, 12:17   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
More spoilers out, so far nothing of interest as it is just a pure action chapter.
Action is just rehash too according to the leaked panels, no new attacks.
I dunno... I'd say the fact that Apoo actually managed to wound Luffy and Zoro with relatively little effort is pretty significant, if you ask me. It's further proof that all Worst Generation pirates can't be taken lightly, no matter how goofy or harmless some of them may seem on the surface. I mean, let's not forget that Zoro already suffered wounds at the hands of both Hawkins and Killer earlier this very arc, pretty much the first injuries he's had since the timeskip occurred (he's been steamrolling his way through all opposition prior to this point, otherwise).
Old 2020-05-21, 13:31   Link #7
Hoodspirit

Oh please, we have over 5000 people Oda could have let Apoo flex on, and he decides to make him knock out the guy who came just out of a training to fight the strongest creature.

This is not something going for Apoo but against Oda if we are being honest.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-21, 16:08   Link #8
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I dunno... I'd say the fact that Apoo actually managed to wound Luffy and Zoro with relatively little effort is pretty significant, if you ask me. It's further proof that all Worst Generation pirates can't be taken lightly, no matter how goofy or harmless some of them may seem on the surface. I mean, let's not forget that Zoro already suffered wounds at the hands of both Hawkins and Killer earlier this very arc, pretty much the first injuries he's had since the timeskip occurred (he's been steamrolling his way through all opposition prior to this point, otherwise).
Eh, both Zoro and Luffy is tend to get first hit due to their reckless nature. Zoro get hit yes but it probably become scratch of wound next chapter. So far kinda expected. I do agree it mean that Apoo is strong and not just random mook lol.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-22, 03:18   Link #9
Zolton

Finally some action with Apoo. I wish Oda realized that Supernova fights are much more interesting than anything those shitty Wano samurai can do. Good chapter.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-22, 07:20   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Oda went a bit too far with the Apoo hype. Having Luffy lose consciousness, even if only for a minute, after one of his attacks is too much. It doesn't seem like he's taken any lasting damage at least, so I suppose it's fine. There's also the "we couldn't move well in those clothes" explanation too.
Old 2020-05-22, 09:10   Link #11
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Oh please, we have over 5000 people Oda could have let Apoo flex on, and he decides to make him knock out the guy who came just out of a training to fight the strongest creature.

Apoo is an opportunist and Queen gave him an incentive. He knows who Luffy and Zoro are by their reputation, so there's a pretty good chance he wasn't half-assing his efforts in his assaults on them. I would expect him to be a threat to some degree given his affiliation with the Worst Generation pirates. I don't see anything wrong with what Oda did here.
Old 2020-05-24, 22:32   Link #12
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I remember that Kidd and Apoo got feud back at Sabaody Archipelago. But Apoo do things with Luffy is a reminisence when Apoo can take down Kizaru without touching him, unaware that only Haki wielder can harm Kizaru directly (That results in Apoo getting smacked down by Kizaru with one hit). In a supernova terms, I'd rather want to see Apoo gets taken down first since he's annoying as hell.

Though I want to see how Luffy and the gang can cancel his DF ability before he can attack them, but I think Apoo is suitable to fight Robin soon.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-25, 02:09   Link #13
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

hahaha Kidd got the same reaction with Law when he first spotted how Straw Hat did things

Apoo is stronger than I thought.. or probably because his power is mysterious
Kidd most likely will wipe him out
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-25, 08:09   Link #14
Theia_Loki

I don't think Queen realizes just yet that there is definitely one particular Tobi Roppo that he should be removing and replacing: Drake. And boy would he be in for a surprise if it comes out that he's actually a Marine spy, assuming he doesn't know or suspect it yet.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-29, 15:12   Link #15
marvelB

Going back to the ministory, I'm slightly surprised that we went back to Capone so soon after we found out about Pound. Guess Oda wants to save the full story of his revival for later, then. That being said, will Gotti become his captain's brother in-law....?

Oh, and as for the Tobi Roppou member Queen wants to eliminate.... well, assuming he's still oblivious to Drake's deception, I'd say it's Page One since he failed to take out Sanji earlier (remember, it was Queen who sent him on that mission in the first place). Though if that's indeed the case, I'm not so sure big sis Ulti would take that quietly....

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Oda went a bit too far with the Apoo hype. Having Luffy lose consciousness, even if only for a minute, after one of his attacks is too much. It doesn't seem like he's taken any lasting damage at least, so I suppose it's fine. There's also the "we couldn't move well in those clothes" explanation too.
Late response, but as me and a few others already said earlier, the fact that Apoo got away with hurting a pair of fellow supernovas just further proves the strength of the Worst Generation as a whole. After all, they're the ones who were hyped as being the rising stars of the current generation of pirates. Putting that into consideration, I think it's only natural that even a goofball like Apoo should get the chance to back up the great reputation he's garnered, so who better to exploit said chance against than his peers? That being said, I have no issue with what Oda did here. In fact, we're talking about a guy who brazenly attacked an admiral back in the arc he was first introduced, so is it really so surprising that he would immediately target the pirate who recently became the (un)official Fifth Emperor, regardless of the promise of a juicy promotion to sweeten the deal?

Oh, and as far as Luffy's recent training goes, I still strongly doubt it guarantees him a solo victory against Kaidou. I feel pretty darn certain that it's going to take a team effort to topple the world's strongest creature, anyway. And before anyone brings up Oden slicing him up, remember: that was TWENTY years ago. I think there's little room to doubt that Kaidou became much stronger since his bout with the samurai, so now it's going to require a combination of both quality AND quantity to take down both him and Big Mom.....
Old 2020-05-29, 18:51   Link #16
Rainbowman

So close to knowing the names of Kidd and Apoo’s Devil Fruit powers. 😖
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-30, 01:24   Link #17
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think he mimicked Zoro and Luffy's attacks somehow, which is why he was able to slash Zoro and deal Physical Damage against Luffy. So in a way Luffy could have lost consciousness from his own attack.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote