AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-07, 07:04   Link #1
D2UA

what next for me?

I've been watching anime off and on...and found that I really can enjoy anything as long as it keeps up a good pace. Comedy, romance, thriller, suspense...anything is ok by me. But since that's the case, I have a hard time with picking the next anime I'll watch. So hopefully you all can help me out. I'll list some of the anime I've seen. This isn't my full list, just something for everyone to base their recommendations on.

To see my full list, go here- http://www.anime-planet.com/users/d2ua/anime

COMPLETED
Air TV
Akagi
Azumanga Dioh
Death Note
Fruits Basket
Kaiji
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamia
Midori no Hibi

WATCHING
Hitman Reborn
One Outs
One Piece
Toradora!

I love mind games, shonen, romance, and mystery.
Old 2009-02-07, 09:46   Link #2
Smithsky

For mystery try

Ghost Hunt - ghosts, thriller and mystery
Mouryou no Hako - didnt watch it, but heard its pretty good, mystery

For suspense, twists, action try Code Geass (I see it's on your want to watch list) and Xam'd

As for comedy, romance try

School Rumble (I see it's on your want to watch list aswell ;p)
Kannagi ( and a bit of mystery)

Last edited by Smithsky; 2009-02-07 at 10:40.
Old 2009-02-07, 10:36   Link #3
cerrian

Having gone through your "stalled" and "want to watch" lists, I picked out those that are considered to be some of the best.

Black Lagoon
Rurouni Kenshin
Eureka Seven
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Great Teacher Onizuka
Hajime no Ippo
Code Geass

It looks like you've mostly seen only the R2 available stuff. As you start expanding your list to those titles that are not licensed, you'll find a whole other world of anime out there.
Old 2009-02-08, 12:07   Link #4
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I'd third Code Geass, it has the mind game elements you'll enjoy.

Voices of a Distant Star is an amazing action/romance. It's 30 minutes-- a single ova...that's it. That being said, it redefined my opinion of ovas. I usually don't like movies because I don't feel the characters develop enough--you just can't find yourself

I'd suggest Scrapped Princess. It sorta reminded me of Full Metal Alchemist, though alittle less depressing.

Shion no Oh is a decent mystery, but also shojo, so venture in at your own risk. It's set to a shogi motiff, so it might fit in with your interest in Hikura no Go.

It's a bit dated, from the late 80's, early 90's, but Ranma 1/2 might work well for you. Its shonen sorta action/comedy/romance mix. In particular it is similar to Fruits Basket because
Spoiler for minor spoiler:
. It might be too similar to Inuyasha which you stalled on.

It doesn't fit anywhere but maybe mystery theme wise, but sense you've seen Air, want to see Clannad, then I have to suggest you go full circle and watch Kanon or its remake as well.

Seeing Cardcaptor Sakura on your list, I have to suggest Tsubasa Chronicle--it's the shonen counterpart involving the same to leads in sorta an alternative universe. The anime has a slow start, but is alright as it goes--the ovas are absolutely thrilling. If you enjoy manga, it's a good choice.

While I am writing about Clamp, you might really enjoy Xxxholic. It is a very mysterious show blending Japanese folklore into a modern era...holic pulls few punches however.

I cringe whenever I write the name "Princess Tutu", but after a friend twisted my arm to actually watch it--it proved much more formitable than I'd ever have guessed from the name, especially a show with heavy ballet motif. The first half of the first season was very so so, but then its like the writers decided to make it incredible--it's one of the few shows actually dramatically improves over time. There's alot of mystery in it--the entire world seems rife with them. Plus it is similar to Fruits Basket because
Spoiler for spoiler:

You might be bored to death by it, but Zettia Shonen has an amazing mystery going on. It goes at a very, very, very slow pace but over the course of the first story arc, the mystery is revealed and its incredible. The pace is so slow because it seems to be set at "real life"...characters have converstations that are everyday--there shonen is a bit of a misnomer, because while the story is about a boy, it isn't anything like most anime.

Haibane Renmei is a pretty incredible anime for dozens of reasons, but the entire feel of it is surreal--the mystery is trying to put together all the different pieces. Some of them are obvious--some are not so easy to spot. Its a masterpiece in my opinion, one that can stand its ground with works outside of anime as well.

While I am still lingering on mysterious, Dennou Coil is another fine choice. The entire world is mysterious in it, as the character learns more so does the reader. It is definitely light hearted though, it reminds me of Ghibli films.
Old 2009-02-09, 02:04   Link #5
D2UA

Thanks for all the suggestions guys ^_^

I do kind of want to watch some more unlicensed stuff if there's anymore out there you could suggest.
Old 2009-02-09, 12:30   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'd strongly suggest to keep away from CLAMP anime/manga unless you really have a lot of time in your hands, there have been quite a few crossovers and all of the series run around the same universe. I watched Tsubasa chronicles before cardcaptor sakura, I was so confused I had to wiki it and see the connections between the characters.
Now,I see Jigoku shoujo futakomori and mitsuganae are not on your list, it's a great chance to see what happened to Ai and her hell buddies
xxxHOLIC is also a refreshing one to watch, the anime had all crossovers removed so you won't get confused about the "real story" behind the series.
SCRYED is your casual shonen series, if you want comedy check out 2x2=shinobuden.
Old 2009-02-09, 19:27   Link #7
Jimbasushi

Send a message via AIM to Jimbasushi
try SKIP BEAT! great story line so far. and one of the current animes.
Old 2009-02-09, 20:07   Link #8
itisjustme

On top of my head:

It may perfectly fit with my personal tastes, but I can't recommend Seirei no Moribito enough.

For pure comedy, I haven't seen much of the animated version but the Yakitate!! Japan manga is by far the most hilarious one I've ever read.

In the sport category Major is really really addictive, the fifth season is running right now.

Also I second Ghost Hunt and Scrapped Princess, both excellent.

I see you dropped Full Metal Panic! though, so we might not like the same things.
Old 2009-04-07, 00:50   Link #9
D2UA

thanks for all the suggestions. i recently have finished Welcome to the NHK and started up Hikaru no Go.

What I'd really like now is some suggestions on unlicensed anime from the past 5 years.

Still something along the line of my original post please.

PS: Can't wait to finish One Outs and start up on some new anime this season!
Closed Thread