AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Days

Notices

View Poll Results: School Days - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 0 0%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 0 0%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 0 0%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-20, 05:59   Link #281
Meatrose
Antihero

To be honest, I can't bring myself to understand this about censoring shows as soon as something happens in the world. Sure, if what happens in the show is related to the real life incident, then fine, but I'll probably never understand the need to cancel the final episode of a show where someone gets stabbed or killed or whatever (with a sharp object) just because person A killed person B in the real world. It's not even related.

Some might think that the episode was canceled simply due to the graphic nature of the violence, but I find that hard to believe. I mean, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni got away with some tremendously violent scenes in the last season. What a certain someone does in episode 21 is a pretty good example of extremely sadistic violence being aired. What I mean is that it has to be (as has been confirmed) that the canceling of episode 12 was in fact related to the incident. Don't get me wrong, I think that what happened is a terrible tragedy, and I really think that one shouldn't ridicule such a tragedy by airing something that holds a content that is similar to the incident. I just can't seem to understand this canceling though. It would be different if the final episode contains a highschool girl killing her father with an ax or a machete or something like that, but I think it's safe to assume that it doesn't.

Okay, I might be overreacting, but I truly hate when stuff like this happens. The boat was really nice though.

What I'm thinking though is that they chose to cancel the episode since they don't wanna add fuel to the fire. I'm talking about those propagating that violent animé sometimes triggers violent behavior. There are those that believe that otakus might snap and decide to live out their fantasy of raping young girls and going berserk in general... just by watching violent animé.

"Movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more creative"

Last edited by Meatrose; 2007-09-20 at 06:14.
Old 2007-09-20, 06:07   Link #282
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
To be honest, I can't bring myself to understand this about censoring shows as soon as something happens in the world. Sure, if what happens in the show is related to the real life incident, then fine, but I'll probably never understand the need to cancel the final episode of a show where someone gets stabbed or killed or whatever (with a sharp object) just because person A killed person B in the real world. It's not even related.
Again, this is because the TV stations might have trouble with various lobby etc.
See in US and Europe, that there are many people seeing with a bad eye anime in general? (claiming boo at the violence and outrageous sexual content) same in japan as well. and if we mention that it is supposed to be all age (as only AT-X use a rating), you know the drill.
Quote:
Some might think that the episode was canceled simply due to the graphic nature of the violence, but I find that hard to believe. I mean, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni got away with some tremendously violent scenes in the last season. [snip] in episode 21 is a pretty good example of extremely sadistic violence being aired.
The situation is different, as it doesn't have any remote similarity to what happened outside, IRL.
That's why it is canceled, and not because it is very graphic, as many shows didn't get many issues either (and higurashi is hardly violent graphically)
For your instance, it has been censored, as there isn't supposed to have a big black veil in this scene. (and try to avoid to spoiler things which aren't related to the initial topic/forum)
Quote:
What I mean is that it has to be (as has been confirmed) that the canceling of episode 12 was in fact related to the incident. Don't get me wrong, I think that what happened is a terrible tragedy, and I really think that one shouldn't ridicule such a tragedy by airing something that holds a content that is similar to the incident. I just can't seem to understand this canceling though. It would be different if the final episode contains a highschool girl killing her father with an ax or a machete or something like that, but I think it's safe to assume that it doesn't.

Okay, I might be overreacting, but I truly hate when stuff like this happens. The boat was really nice though.
let me remind you the similarities :
*A girl
*high schooler
*black outfit (similarities with the school uniform)
*murder, motive: hatred
*ax => bladed weapon.

this kind of things is extremely shocking, considering the initial context (a daughter and a father), and various others points (police involved). If it wasn't a girl, you can bet a lot this cancellation would never happen.

there are too many similarities, and people KNOW it has nothing to do with IRL. but for sake of image, and avoiding risk, they just cancel.

EDIT:
Quote:
What I'm thinking though is that they chose to cancel the episode since they don't wanna add fuel to the fire. I'm talking about those propagating that violent animé sometimes triggers violent behavior. There are those that believe that otakus might snap and decide to live out their fantasy of raping young girls and going berserk in general... just by watching violent animé.

"Movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more creative"
You nailed what i put: it MIGHT result of unecessary trouble with various groups. so canceling/delaying this episode was the only choice they have.
Old 2007-09-20, 06:21   Link #283
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well it's kinda easy. You won't feel the same way until someone close to you decides to somehow try out one of those cool bankai moves on a friend...only this is more realistic than Bleach. Parents who were victims of these things will speak out and form groups, and we can't afford lawsuits and what not, can we?

In summary, you might not think it can happen until it happens to someone close to you. I certainly don't like the episode to be canceled, but I can see their reasoning.
Old 2007-09-20, 06:23   Link #284
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Again, this is because the TV stations might have trouble with various lobby etc.
See in US and Europe, that there are many people seeing with a bad eye anime in general? (claiming boo at the violence and outrageous sexual content) same in japan as well. and if we mention that it is supposed to be all age (as only AT-X use a rating), you know the drill.
Yeah, I agree with you. I didn't originally include it in my post, but I edited my post shortly after clicking the "Submit Reply"-button. I guess you were already typing your message by then though. =)

*Edited the sentence about Higurashi no Naku Koro ni episode 21. Sorry about that one, don't know what I was thinking including names since I'm usually quite cautious when it comes to posting stuff that might spoil people.

And about that scene... I guess there are different versions out then, cause my version certainly doesn't look like it has been censored. =P

And even though the violence in that scene might not be extremely graphic, it felt... well, extreme to me, due to the sadistic nature of it all. I've never seen a scene sporting that kind of violence in any other animé to be completely honest. More blood does not make it more violent. I guess you know what I'm getting at.

Edit: Hehe, I started typing this before I saw your edit. =)
Old 2007-09-20, 06:29   Link #285
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

well its just a shame that such incident happened before we even got to know how School Days will end.
Hopefully we do get to see the episode though...but seeing the original content of this episode seems to be slim after this incident.
Old 2007-09-20, 07:41   Link #286
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
i just love the boat <_<
Old 2007-09-20, 09:34   Link #287
iczelion74
Lost Soul

So is it true that Higurashi Kai has been cancelled because of the attacks as well?

http://www.tokai-tv.com/whatsnew/24/24394.html

Can someone translate that?
Old 2007-09-20, 09:38   Link #288
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

it basically says :

Tonight’s broadcast of “Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai” planned for 3:32 will be changed to “Pole Effect(?) ★ KING gourmet first star!”. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I covered this crap on this thread, and on the blog.

what a great day...
Old 2007-09-20, 09:48   Link #289
Baka-neko
Nekosuki

Send a message via MSN to Baka-neko
Ohhhh great... What a great week.

Pffffft... Maybe the girl planned all of this because she hated otakus?

Anyway, let's hope everything turns to better.
Old 2007-09-20, 10:33   Link #290
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
it basically says :

Tonight’s broadcast of “Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai” planned for 3:32 will be changed to “Pole Effect(?) ★ KING gourmet first star!”. We apologize for the inconvenience.

what a great day...
Son of a bitch...

So, how long untill "Girl A" gets an axe shoved into her own back?
Seriously. It's going to go there and it's going to happen.
Old 2007-09-20, 10:39   Link #291
NaweG
Just some guy

While we're speculating...

I'm going with Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with the Candlestick

Old 2007-09-20, 10:56   Link #292
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
it basically says :

what a great day...
Oh you've got to be fu#@*g kidding me!!!! God damn bitch and her axe. Hope she gets on shoved up her..........nose
Old 2007-09-20, 11:19   Link #293
Serenity85
Horo-ism

Semi of-topic Rant

ewwww, I've lurked this forum for quite some time, and school days semi interests me (its not on my top must watch) but with the latest news if stepped out to post.

This is getting annoying really really fast. Its no biggie for me if School days is delayed (heck like most ppl I've come to my own conclusions as to what happens just need the proof^^) but now Higurashi is getting canned to.... Now that is one of my top shows, and it really p***ed me of to hear this news. Gah, its so stupid that Higurashi S2 has to suffer now cause of this incident. Are they gonna can/delay all violent animes now? They better not start forcing censorship on shows, Higurashi S2 has been so good so far that changing it to suit PG 13 crowds/complainers would just kill all the goodness that has built up so far....

Gah, .... grrr *returns to lurker stats*
Old 2007-09-20, 11:37   Link #294
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity85 View Post
This is getting annoying really really fast. Its no biggie for me if School days is delayed (heck like most ppl I've come to my own conclusions as to what happens just need the proof^^) but now Higurashi is getting canned to.... Now that is one of my top shows, and it really p***ed me of to hear this news. Gah, its so stupid that Higurashi S2 has to suffer now cause of this incident. Are they gonna can/delay all violent animes now? They better not start forcing censorship on shows, Higurashi S2 has been so good so far that changing it to suit PG 13 crowds/complainers would just kill all the goodness that has built up so far....
I wouldn't panic just yet. As I said earlier, broadcasting this sort of content when the tension on this issue is already high would be even more likely to lead to long-term consequences, as you're taking the risk of a public outcry. As it stands, otaku are inconvenienced temporarily, but I expect things will return to normal in time. And it's not "all violent anime"; it's just that schoolgirls wielding weapons and killing people in cold blood hits just a little close to home at the moment. This too shall pass, as they say. Our sympathies should go out to the victim's family.
Old 2007-09-20, 11:49   Link #295
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Following the example of School Days and Higurashi, I think all anime which depict any kind of war should not be shown on TV until there is eternal peace on Earth, it would be only fair to the relatives of victims of war and their familes, right? And while we are at it, let's ban news bulletins from mentioning any violent crime, too. How bloody politically correctly stupid can people get, really?
I would't blame the TV networks much, they are most likely under immense pressure by the rest of the media.

Old 2007-09-20, 11:52   Link #296
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Our sympathies should go out to the victim's family.
Though i doubt they know what "school days" is

well at least this series cant be turned into a scapegoat for anyone to target on.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-09-20, 11:54   Link #297
Joachim
et tu, brute?

This cancelling is getting stupid... but oh well what can i mean WHAT CAN we do.. sigh
Old 2007-09-20, 11:58   Link #298
NaweG
Just some guy

This is hardly a new or isolated incidence. Some of us remember how a rather good series called "Invader Zim" was taken off after 9/11, and the last few shows of the second season and a few shows prepared for the third had to be gathered via the Internet since they were only shown in Australia. Eventually the greedy hands of the license owners overcame their concerns and the show was shown on US TV and DVDs were sold. Damage to the series by that point was done.

I'm not too surprised that networks that decided one show was too dangerous would decide that another one is as well. In fact the poster who I presume was kidding about "lets ban all violence" may well temporarily get his/her wish.

However, such actions tend to also result in folks deciding to spend their money and time elsewhere, and eventually the profit motive kicks in and the cycle starts all over again.

My .02 worth (and probably worth what you paid for it)...
Old 2007-09-20, 12:53   Link #299
Vee Dubman

Quote:
I'm going with Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with the Candlestick
Old 2007-09-20, 13:19   Link #300
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

So the thing L33T raws has released is the stupid nature special????
Closed Thread