AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-05-29, 11:07   Link #61
Fran~
floating away...

The Mustang is an all-around solution, i've seen Mustang doing Metallica song's and doing funk improvisations. Mustang's switches are very useful to fulfill a wide range of styles. A friend once told me that the Mustang is like a fusion between the Strat and the Tele...

Remember that this guitar was an affordable solution for students, until the 90s, when Kurt Cobain transformed the Mustang in a cult instrument.

@Willen: thanks
Old 2009-05-29, 13:36   Link #62
Sides

Azu-nyan guitar must be one of those later reissued 69 versions build in japan. Just like the Jaguar it has a shorter scale, some thing people should consider when buying a guitar, or bass guitar, if you have small hands. Of course their are some other advantages with a shorter scale, like putting on higher gauge strings and it is easier to play, but not true for everyone, like if you have big hand/long fingers.
I wouldn't really associate the short scale fenders with jazz or blues, it is more suited for rock kind of stuff.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 13:59   Link #63
Fran~
floating away...

Can i comment a later chapter from the manga about this?.
Old 2009-05-29, 14:22   Link #64
Sides

Why not, maybe out some spoiler tags around it.
Old 2009-05-29, 14:36   Link #65
Fran~
floating away...

Spoiler for manga content:
Old 2009-05-30, 13:03   Link #66
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
Spoiler for manga content:
Spoiler for yui's guitar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
The Mustang is an all-around solution, i've seen Mustang doing Metallica song's and doing funk improvisations. Mustang's switches are very useful to fulfill a wide range of styles. A friend once told me that the Mustang is like a fusion between the Strat and the Tele...

Remember that this guitar was an affordable solution for students, until the 90s, when Kurt Cobain transformed the Mustang in a cult instrument.

@Willen: thanks

Kurt's mustang had a Jaguar Bridge which was a common modification because the mustang's bridge isn't designed as well. Fender of Japan actually made a tribute version of Kurts guitar back in the late 90's The Fender JagStang.
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 15:22   Link #67
Fran~
floating away...

^Yes you're right, and it's funny, because people go and buy "that guitar" by the looks and when they play, it doesn't sound exactly like "that guitar" because profesional musicians always customize their instruments with different parts: pickups, bridges, etc... and after that there is the effects, differents amps, etc.

In the end... there's a lot of people like Yui, who just buy a guitar because the looks

Azusa is playing guitar since 4th grade, so her hands were even more small, so i think that she probably learn with a 3/4 scale guitar.
Old 2009-05-31, 03:31   Link #68
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Spoiler for yui's guitar:
Don't think it is a 58 reissued, those VOS are more expensive. I reckon it is a 2008 standard, due to price range.

As for the mustang, the 69, IIRC are the only ones with the matching headstock, and were only available as 24", at least the reissued one.

Last edited by Sides; 2009-05-31 at 03:43.
Old 2009-05-31, 23:07   Link #69
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Don't think it is a 58 reissued, those VOS are more expensive. I reckon it is a 2008 standard, due to price range.

As for the mustang, the 69, IIRC are the only ones with the matching headstock, and were only available as 24", at least the reissued one.
looking at the price I think you are right. But I could have swore that somewhere I read that it was a 58.

Looking back at the episode where she gets the guitar. In the first shot it has a flamed maple top and later it is a plain top. I guess it was too much work for them to animate a flamed les paul LOL.
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 13:10   Link #70
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
looking at the price I think you are right. But I could have swore that somewhere I read that it was a 58.
Mind you, the 2002 version were available with 50s or 60s neck, where as the 50s neck is the fat neck similar to the 58. I'm not 100% certain, if the 2008 version comes with 2 different necks like the 2002, but the ones i saw in a shop have a 50s neck.
Old 2009-06-02, 23:19   Link #71
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Am I the only one who realizes it, or does Mio hold her bass on the wrong side? Aren't you supposed to use your right hand for the pick and your left hand is the one that's on the neck?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 23:28   Link #72
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Am I the only one who realizes it, or does Mio hold her bass on the wrong side? Aren't you supposed to use your right hand for the pick and your left hand is the one that's on the neck?
Because it is a lefty version.
Old 2009-06-03, 10:24   Link #73
Mafty-Navue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
How heavy is it?
The MG 15CDR is not that heavy for me to be exhausted while carrying it with both hands like Yui does (well, I'm a guy so that should be normal -___-)
Mafty-Navue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 12:58   Link #74
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
As stated before, she's left-handed, thus she plays a left-handed model...

If she was indeed holding it the "wrong way" or a left-handed person playing a right-handed guitar, you'd notice with the guitar itself, with the tuning pegs on the bottom of the headstock (Fender doesn't make reverse headstocks, especially) and the pickup controls placed above the strings...

Ergo, see Jimi Hendrix
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 19:07   Link #75
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
As stated before, she's left-handed, thus she plays a left-handed model...

If she was indeed holding it the "wrong way" or a left-handed person playing a right-handed guitar, you'd notice with the guitar itself, with the tuning pegs on the bottom of the headstock (Fender doesn't make reverse headstocks, especially) and the pickup controls placed above the strings...

Ergo, see Jimi Hendrix
Ahh, that makes for sense.

I thought guitars/basses worked the same way as the violin (you use the same side no matter what hand is your dominant one). I'm too classical for my own good.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 12:05   Link #76
Sides

Quote:
Ahh, that makes for sense.

I thought guitars/basses worked the same way as the violin (you use the same side no matter what hand is your dominant one). I'm too classical for my own good.
Actually it is the same. I'm not sure if you're talking about lefthanded violin players who are forced to play right-handed by a lot of teachers, still, or real left handed violins. You get lefthanded people playing right handed guitars all the time, but it is also true for righthanded people to play left handed guitars, because someone teached them that way.
Same as with the violin guitars and bass will need some adjustment to the bridge and rod, because the strings will be strung in mirrored position, and obviously the setting has to match the gauge of the strings.
Since right handed guitar are cheaper and more easier to access, you get people like Dick Dale and Hendrix who occationaly have them strung reversed.
Old 2009-06-04, 12:55   Link #77
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Yeah, the order of the strings are really the only thing you want to pay attention to...A right-handed person playing a right-handed guitar will string the guitar from the top-down (Or at least the top in orientation with how you would hold the guitar) in the order of the highest-to-lowest gauge string; If you're a lefty playing a righty guitar, you'd do the same thing, but with the order reversed for obvious reasons...

Everything else regarding the differences of a left-handed person playing a right-handed guitar are either aesthetic or ergonomic...Which side of the headstock the tuning pegs are doesn't matter, and the placement of the pickup controls are placed below the strings so they don't get in the way of your picking hand...Short of that, it's a perfectly normal practice...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 06:19   Link #78
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

The cut outs for reaching the portions of the strings closest to the neck/body joint nearest to the 'top' pickup of the guitar are usually different for most guitars. It doesn't mean it's impossible to reach them if they aren't there, it just makes it easier. A Gibson SG or Flying V is practically the same played righty or lefty, especially if there is no tremolo arm (obviously, it needs to be strung differently). The Fender Stratocaster has offset cut outs so it's better suited for a right hander to use the right handed version, but a left handed person can make it work (and vice-versa). Although it always amused me that left-handed Jimi Hendrix's right-handed Strat had a tremolo arm on it making it more obvious that he's playing it upside down. A Gibson Les Paul on the other hand...

The only other reason is to get a proper pick guard for the guitar since they don't make pick guards to fit the normally upper part of a right handed guitar (they go below the strings near or around the area of the pickup and volume controls. But pick guards are usually optional anyways and some people don't like them because they can change the sound of the guitar with them on.

But finding left-handed models is not always easy and they usually cost more than the right-handed versions. If there is a left-handed version at all. (No left-handed US Fender Mustangs since 2002. I think Fender Japan still produces it, but it's not easy to have shipped out of Japan.) Some models get left-handed versions sporadically; I think left-handed Strats were recently made available again.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 18:05   Link #79
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

Jimi Hendrix played right hand guitars because he believed left hand models to be of inferior quality.. and in the 60s and early 70s he was correct.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 15:02   Link #80
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanxpr View Post
Oh yeah, 88 key version is BIG, took up my whole desk!
OMG, You are so lucky you own one. They are so hard to find, and I cannot find anyone who will sell me one at the most. I looked for at least 34 hours of my life just finding that Triton Extreme keyboard. T_T, so lucky you.