AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-02, 11:17   Link #101
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'd point out again that the Ayanami was a destroyer, not a battleship.

Ayanami = roughly 2,000 tons. 6 x 127mm cannon. 9 x 610mm torpedo tubes. 38 knot. (Lost in action with American Battleship Washington in November 1942)

Nagato = upwards of 40,000 tons. 8 x 410mm cannon and 20 x 140mm cannon. 27 knots. (Survived the war. Destroyed in Atomic testing July 1946)
Old 2009-09-02, 11:29   Link #102
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'd point out again that the Ayanami was a destroyer, not a battleship.

Ayanami = roughly 2,000 tons. 6 x 127mm cannon. 9 x 610mm torpedo tubes. 38 knot. (Lost in action with American Battleship Washington in November 1942)

Nagato = upwards of 40,000 tons. 8 x 410mm cannon and 20 x 140mm cannon. 27 knots. (Survived the war. Destroyed in Atomic testing July 1946)
Nagato beats out Rei yet again!
Old 2009-09-02, 11:36   Link #103
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
My mistake.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-02, 14:40   Link #104
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Nagato is like a cross between Data and Spock.

She has Data's tendency towards lengthy and incredibly precise technical exposition... and she has Spock's degree of emoting (i.e. almost non-existent). It's kind of funny, but... Data emoted a lot more than Spock, and that's even pre-emotional chip. The only exception being one time when Kirk ultimately survived a death duel with Spock, much to Spock's pleasant surprise, and Spock (with this big Haruhi-esque smile on his face) grabbed Kirk's two shoulders and yelled "Jim!" with such happy excitement at the sight of his friend being alive. It was kind of neat to see the Vulcan lose his non-emotional exterior for a second, and show how important Kirk was to him.
I was always thinking to myself, Kirk must have been like "That's it?? You could have asked sooner! We didn't need to kill each other!" After all, picking up ladies is Kirk's forte. But that was definitely a good episode that shows how powerful friendship can be. I wonder what Kyon would do for Yuki; would he be willing to give his life for someone who's sworn to protect him?

But thanks for the info on Spock. Most of my knowledge of Trek comes from the three spinoffs that aired when I was younger. I only watched some of the original series, and most of my knowledge of them comes from the movies they were in.

I await the Wrath of Ryoko.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-02, 14:45   Link #105
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I was always thinking to myself, Kirk must have been like "That's it?? You could have asked sooner! We didn't need to kill each other!" After all, picking up ladies is Kirk's forte. But that was definitely a good episode that shows how powerful friendship can be. I wonder what Kyon would do for Yuki; would he be willing to give his life for someone who's sworn to protect him?

But thanks for the info on Spock. Most of my knowledge of Trek comes from the three spinoffs that aired when I was younger. I only watched some of the original series, and most of my knowledge of them comes from the movies they were in.

I await the Wrath of Ryoko.
I more specifically await Kyon's rendition of "KHHHHHHHAAAAAAN!"

All Glory to the Greentext.
Old 2009-09-02, 15:09   Link #106
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Oh no, it's probably gonna have Sugita's choking voice that happens when Kyon is frustrated

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-03, 23:40   Link #107
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

As long as we're going with the Star Trek/Haruhi comparisons, we might as well go all the way (TOS, of course):

Kirk -- Haruhi. Duh.
Spock -- Yuki. Also duh.
McCoy -- Kyon. So right on so many levels it's a little scary.
Sulu -- Itsuki. Truly the "navigator" of the SOS-dan. Also George Takei... 'Nuff said.
Uhura -- Mikuru. Now that is what a woman is supposed to look like. And Mikuru ain't too shabby herself.
Scotty -- Tsuruya. "Ah'm givin' 'er all she's got, nyoro..."
Chekov -- Kunikida. Easily the youngest-looking of the bunch. Hope he doesn't end up as a sociopathic telepath...
Random redshirt -- Taniguchi.

Think about it. Haruhi leans forward in the captain's chair making some crazy, over-the-top order. Kyon stands next to her grumbling about it. Yuki, sitting off in her own little area, looks up from staring into her scanner. Itsuki smiles as he turns to his console to carry out the order with a cheerful "Aye, Captain." Kunikida and Taniguchi sit and stand, at tactical and by the turbolift respectively, looking confused. And Mikuru sits with that thing in her ear, appearing flustered as she attempts to patch Tsuruya through to the bridge. Now, that's a Haruhi poster I'd actually pay for. Make it so.

Speaking of, anyone want to try their hand at Next Gen? Or DS9 or Voyager, even? (Mikuru as Seven of Nine is a given)
Old 2009-09-04, 00:31   Link #108
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
As long as we're going with the Star Trek/Haruhi comparisons, we might as well go all the way (TOS, of course):

Kirk -- Haruhi. Duh.
Spock -- Yuki. Also duh.
Sulu -- Itsuki. Truly the "navigator" of the SOS-dan. Also George Takei... 'Nuff said.
Uhura -- Mikuru. Now that is what a woman is supposed to look like. And Mikuru ain't too shabby herself.
Chekov -- Kunikida. Easily the youngest-looking of the bunch. Hope he doesn't end up as a sociopathic telepath...
Thanks, that image was quite amusing
Old 2009-09-04, 02:08   Link #109
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:

Kirk -- Haruhi. Duh.
Spock -- Yuki. Also duh.

Think about it. Haruhi leans forward in the captain's chair making some crazy, over-the-top order. Kyon stands next to her grumbling about it. Yuki, sitting off in her own little area, looks up from staring into her scanner. Itsuki smiles as he turns to his console to carry out the order with a cheerful "Aye, Captain." Kunikida and Taniguchi sit and stand, at tactical and by the turbolift respectively, looking confused. And Mikuru sits with that thing in her ear, appearing flustered as she attempts to patch Tsuruya through to the bridge. Now, that's a Haruhi poster I'd actually pay for. Make it so.
To use a quote from the wrong series, "Make it so".

How needs five fleets of 15,000 ships each if you have the SOS-dan's USS Enterprise?
Old 2009-09-04, 05:53   Link #110
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post

Kirk -- Haruhi. Duh.
Haruhi Kirk: Never... again... will a movie... be so... totally awesome!!!... as this one... is!

Quote:
Spock -- Yuki. Also duh.
Spock Nagato: Wanting Mikuru to shoot a beam out of her eye is highly illogical, Captain.

Quote:
Kyon McCoy: Dammit, Haruhi! I'm a Doctor... not a cameraman!

Anyway, really loved your Star Trek: TOS/Haruhi mash-up here. It does indeed fit freakishly well.

Voyager:

Janeway -- Haruhi. Very duh.

Chakotay -- Koizumi. Second in command; part of a special organization; has unique visions, ideas, and dreams.

Tuvok -- Yuki. Yuki will always work as the Vulcan.

The Holographic Doctor -- Kyon. The Doctor does a lot of narration on Voyager, and has a bit of a sharp sarcastic wit just as Kyon does. He also irritates easily.

Seven of Nine -- Yeah, Mikuru.

B'Ellana Torres -- Tsuruya is the only Haruhi female I could see working here.

Tom Paris -- Taniguchi. Soooo Taniguchi

Harry Kim -- Kunikida. Especially since Tom Paris is Taniguchi.

Kes -- Kimidori. Kes probably has the softest personality of the Voyager crew.

Neelix -- ...Okabe-sensei? Or maybe the Student Council President.

Seska -- Ryoko Asakura
Old 2009-09-04, 11:01   Link #111
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Agreed. It's the little, subtle things that really hit home for Nagato.
My two cents here.

One thing I really love about Nagato is how to read her subtle expressions of emotions. And because if this, she's also probably the hardest character animate. One striking example is in

Spoiler for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody:
Old 2009-09-04, 19:08   Link #112
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:

Voyager:

Janeway -- Haruhi. Very duh.

Chakotay -- Koizumi. Second in command; part of a special organization; has unique visions, ideas, and dreams.

Tuvok -- Yuki. Yuki will always work as the Vulcan.

The Holographic Doctor -- Kyon. The Doctor does a lot of narration on Voyager, and has a bit of a sharp sarcastic wit just as Kyon does. He also irritates easily.

Seven of Nine -- Yeah, Mikuru.

B'Ellana Torres -- Tsuruya is the only Haruhi female I could see working here.

Tom Paris -- Taniguchi. Soooo Taniguchi

Harry Kim -- Kunikida. Especially since Tom Paris is Taniguchi.

Kes -- Kimidori. Kes probably has the softest personality of the Voyager crew.

Neelix -- ...Okabe-sensei? Or maybe the Student Council President.

Seska -- Ryoko Asakura
lol, that's a very nice one. I still think TNG has the best similarity since it does basically start off as "The Melancholy of Q" with the poor crew as his playthings, but that's a bit too disturbing to run the analogy especially since Q actually said if he had known Picard better, he would have appeared as a female.

But the Voyager comparisons are spot on! I'll add my view on it.

Haruhi- A highly competent and powerful person. She is the leader of the SOS-Dan dedicated to spreading the world with fun, and will let nothing hinder her goal. However, she is reckless and stubborn; she does not like opposition and is not above doing things like blackmail to people who dare oppose her, therefore the crew must work together to keep her from causing massive destruction. She is at the center of many a temporal anomaly. Sometimes, when she is not pleased with reality, she destroys the universe and makes a new one.

Janeway- A highly competent and powerful person. She is the Captain of the Starship Voyager dedicated to returning home, and will let nothing hinder her goal. However, she is reckless and stubborn; she does not like opposition and is not above doing things like torture to people who dare oppose her, therefore the group must work together to keep her from causing massive destruction. She is at the center of many a temporal anomaly. Sometimes, when she is not pleased with reality, she goes back in time, to make a new timeline.

Itsuki- A person who is brought into the SOS-dan and suddenly promoted above everyone else because Haruhi likes him better. Basically serves as Haruhi's second and command and has no real personality because of fear of what Haruhi may do. Ends up getting paired with Mikuru in their movie for no real reason except Haruhi's poor writing.

Chakotay- A person who is brought on Voyager and suddenly promoted above everyone else because Janeway likes him better. Has no personality, but unlike Itsuki, he really does have no personality. Ends up getting paired with Seven of Nine in their finale for no real reason except poor writing.

Yuki- As an Android, Yuki is an incredibly logical character. She helps defend the SOS-dan from hostile threats. May be suppressing murderous urges due to Endless Eight.

Tuvok- As a Vulcan, Tuvok is an incredibly logical character. He helps defend voyager from hostile threats. May be suppressing murderous urges due to the endless annoyance of Neelix

Kyon- He does not want to be here, but must be because nobody can do what he can. Originally, nobody gave him the time of day because he didn't have any powers, but his incredible sense of sarcasm and unwillingness to blindly follow order made him a distinct presence on the club. He begins to develop in personality by helping Mikuru.

The Doctor- He does not want to be here, but must be because nobody can do what he can. Originally, nobody gave him the time of day because he was a hologram, but his incredible sense of sarcasm and unwillingness to blindly follow order made him a distinct presence on the ship. He begins to develop in personality by helping Seven of Nine.

Mikuru-- An time traveler , she became an unwilling member of the SOS-dan due to Haruhi. She eventually adjusts and provides tons of fanservice in suggestive outfits. From her interactions from the group, she starts to regain her confidence.

Seven of Nine-- An ex-borg , she became an unwilling member of Voyager's crew due to Janeway. She eventually adjusts and provides tons of fanservice in suggestive outfits. From her interactions from the crew, she starts to regain her humanity.

Taniguchi- A cool, likable guy, he provides some sensible commentary on what seems to be a crazy world at times.

Tom Paris- A cool, likable guy, he provides some sensible commentary on what seems to be a crazy world at times.

Kunikida- He's just there. He is not gay with Taniguchi.

Harry Kim- He's just there. He is not gay with Tom Paris.

Ok, I'll just leave it at that.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-04, 19:13   Link #113
Sho-tan
Seitenkan's Shota

Since when did this become the "Haruhi Trek" thread?
Old 2009-09-04, 19:17   Link #114
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Since people started comparing Nagato to Star Trek characters...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-09-04, 20:47   Link #115
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
lol, that's a very nice one. I still think TNG has the best similarity since it does basically start off as "The Melancholy of Q" with the poor crew as his playthings, but that's a bit too disturbing to run the analogy especially since Q actually said if he had known Picard better, he would have appeared as a female.
LOL... that never occurred to me. The reason why I didn't do TNG is that...

1) Picard and Kyon are the two most famous facepalmers through out the entire internet. With a comparison like this one, they'd have to be one and the same.

2) I couldn't make Haruhi as someone working under Kyon Picard.

Never occurred to me to make Haruhi somebody outside the crew like Q.

... There's this one episode of Trek where Q gets his powers taken away, and he shows up on the Bridge of the Enterprise, naked (sent there by the Q Continuim). Picard looks at him in a stunned face, but can't take his eyes off of Q. Q makes this sly smile towards Picard (Q even licks out his tongue a bit, IIRC) and says "Red Alert...!". Now replace Picard with Kyon, and Q with Haruhi for this scene, and...

Haruhi/Kyon is quite a bit like Q/Picard. And after you have Haruhi/Kyon dealt with, the rest of the crew might be doable. I could definitely see Mikuru working as Beverly Crusher or Counselor Troi.

Quote:
But the Voyager comparisons are spot on! I'll add my view on it.
I'm glad you liked them! Your write-ups supporting them further were great!

Anyway, to make this a bit about Nagato... if Nagato was Counselor Troi, and Kyon was Riker, I wonder how that would make Kogetsu feel?
Old 2009-09-04, 20:52   Link #116
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I've pointed this out elsewhere: Whoever ends up as Riker would also have to be able to convincingly pull off David Xanatos. Despite my believing him to be an asshole, Kyon doesn't strike me as a Xanatos.
Old 2009-09-04, 20:59   Link #117
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I've pointed this out elsewhere: Whoever ends up as Riker would also have to be able to convincingly pull off David Xanatos. Despite my believing him to be an asshole, Kyon doesn't strike me as a Xanatos.
No... Kyon's no Xanatos. Hard to imagine Xanatos snapping over Haruhi mistreating Mikuru.
Old 2009-09-05, 00:09   Link #118
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Woah, comparing characters from two different universes :O

Fain, I'll do Halo :P

Master Chief (on crack) - Haruhi.
Cortana - Tempted to say Kyon, but Yuki probably is.
Sgt Johnson - Itsuki. Always has MC's back. :P
MC Mendez (dude that trained MC) - Kyon. I think he's/he'll be instrumental in Haruhi's emotional growth.
Old 2009-09-05, 00:33   Link #119
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
... There's this one episode of Trek where Q gets his powers taken away, and he shows up on the Bridge of the Enterprise, naked (sent there by the Q Continuim). Picard looks at him in a stunned face, but can't take his eyes off of Q. Q makes this sly smile towards Picard (Q even licks out his tongue a bit, IIRC) and says "Red Alert...!". Now replace Picard with Kyon, and Q with Haruhi for this scene, and...
I want that! Depowered neekid Haruhi still acting like herself. But there's probaly an even more disturbing scene where he wakes up in bed with him. >.<

Troi is actually probaly more like Itsuki though much less powerful

But since this topic is about Yuki, I felt necessary to crack a "fully functional" joke. Ok, time to run.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-07, 22:48   Link #120
OkamiNoKaze

Yuki looks and acts like an android, but is she really mechanical on the inside, kind of like a terminator? or fully organic?

also Mikuru as 7 of 9 is hilarious, and the comparison makes even more sense. though I always felt that the IDTE seemed sort of like the Borg collective to me, a little bit.

Tags
characters