AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-25, 23:27   Link #1541
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That definitely could be something to serve as a wrap up.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 23:41   Link #1542
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
It's updated http://up.40ch.net/swf/swf/swf000626.swf
Now you can pat her butt.
"Work,work"
"Something need doing?"
"Me busy, leave me alone!"
"Poke poke poke - is that all you do?"
"Me not that kind of Orc!"

SOMEONE DO IT.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 00:20   Link #1543
bluelittledino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm probably with Pocari Sweat on having a 13-episode second season. There's not much room for improvement with Tari Tari, and so having a full-length sequel could undo much of what is great about the show.

However, I think I'd like to see a Tari Tari movie at some point. I think that Tari Tari left just enough up in the air to make a nice animated movie. It could be about Tanaka, Wien, Konatsu, and Wakana all paying Sawa a visit, and making a real vacation to a foreign country out of it to boot. It could be a pretty nice movie, and be similar to the K-On! film.
I like this idea... Hopefully something like this comes true.

I want they to meet again together, while doing something new, they remembered all the things in the past~

Maybe Wakana's new song again for the main song?
Old 2012-09-26, 01:36   Link #1544
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelittledino View Post
Maybe Wakana's new song again for the main song?
Maybe it could even be what brings them all together again. For example, let's say Wakana wins a music contest at college and she gets to have her latest song sung in a concert abroad (and she also gets to attend too), which just so happens to be in the same country Sawa went to. Realizing this Wakana calls the rest of the gang and they all meet there.

Something like that.
Old 2012-09-26, 01:47   Link #1545
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
The show just ended, and you guys want a movie already?

Lol...

Just wait till PA's new slice of life/drama anime original. I give it a maximum of 1 year. We can fag then ok?
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 01:55   Link #1546
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
Did Taichi get rejected?
If we follow the theme of "girls are independant and strong, etc", then I'd say her reply would be something along the lines of "I haven't sorted out my feelings yet, but I'm putting my dreams first and not returning until I'm satisfied" (ie. probably not ever coming back), and "pick another girl if you don't feel like waiting for me".

Spoiler for Cruel reality:
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 04:05   Link #1547
Pocari_Sweat

I think I listened to that full choir version of Reflectia a bit too many times ...
Old 2012-09-26, 04:40   Link #1548
bluelittledino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
The show just ended, and you guys want a movie already?
I wanted a movie even before the show ended

Right now I'm 'wasting' my time by listening to the songs one by one and doing nothing else~ (I don't feel it's wasted anyway)
I need the english title translation for disc 1 >.< Can't understand the title.. Can anyone tell me where I get the translation? Google translate didn't help to tell me the title clearly.
Old 2012-09-26, 04:58   Link #1549
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelittledino View Post
I wanted a movie even before the show ended

Right now I'm 'wasting' my time by listening to the songs one by one and doing nothing else~ (I don't feel it's wasted anyway)
It's a popular thing to say that "Tari Tari is well-executed at what it does, but I don't think it will be remembered" atm. Imo, I call bollocks on that. In terms of slice of life/drama TV series (not including movies, I consider them a different medium altogether really partly due to budget differences), I can think of two that were of comparable quality in recent times and that was Hyouka that also recently ended and Usagi Drop of last year.

Everything else despite "ambition" as many people seem to look for in series, either fell on its face on more than one occasion, had some supernatural gimmick or two, artificial melodrama and/or pacing problems. Personally, "ambition" or "plot" is not a trait I look for in slice of life/drama (that's more so in fantasy, sci-fi or intended "epic" series) but rather how relatable it is. Subtleness, Genuinity, Understatement, Sentiment and how much heart it has in general are all virtues I look for. Tari Tari had ton of this, albeit it wasn't absolutely perfect - it was very close.

Plot devices for drama, excessive "moeblobs", exaggerated melodrama, Obnoxiousness, pretending to be something when it isn't and generally trying too hard to evoke an reaction are elements that put me off. Don't think I need to repeat myself on examples

EDIT: Forgot Wandering Son. My bad.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-09-26 at 05:19.
Old 2012-09-26, 05:21   Link #1550
Kazu-kun

Quote:
It's a popular thing to say that "Tari Tari is well-executed at what it does, but I don't think it will be remembered" atm. Imo, I call bollocks on that.
I agree completely. Personally I think Tari Tari is one of the best slice of life shows out there. It's better than Iroha and miles away from the likes of K-ON. These characters felt alive, which is something pretty rare in anime this days. I call achieving that ambition!
Old 2012-09-26, 05:29   Link #1551
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Imo, the show lacks that little something to make it truly memorable. I agree that it's a good series with decent execution, but it seems to be missing an x-factor that will really clinch the deal - I'm thinking of something along the lines of the ending in 5 cm per second.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 05:36   Link #1552
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Imo, the show lacks that little something to make it truly memorable. I agree that it's a good series with decent execution, but it seems to be missing an x-factor that will really clinch the deal - I'm thinking of something along the lines of the ending in 5 cm per second.
To me it's more a solid series with near-perfect execution at what it's trying to be, and it's never intended nor tried to be some ambitious social commentary or meant to baw your eyes out.

In terms of movies, like I said in my above post, movies are different beast alltogether. 5cm/s, Place Promised in Our Early Days, Time of Eve, Colorful, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Only Yesterday, Millenium Actress, Ocean Waves and the list goes on. These are all magnificent movies of the drama genre... but they are movies, they should be held in different (higher) standards because they have the BUDGET, don't have to pack in as much content as a TV series and can spend more $ per scene making each scene look more remarkable.
Old 2012-09-26, 05:37   Link #1553
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I think it lacks seminality. It's good, yes, but it's not original enough to be a game changer, and it's not enough of a masterpiece to really stand out.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 05:45   Link #1554
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think it lacks seminality. It's good, yes, but it's not original enough to be a game changer, and it's not enough of a masterpiece to really stand out.
Of course. Then again the slice of life genre is not seminal. Even the best of the genre like 5cm or Usagi Drop are not seminal, but they achieved what they aimed to do in flying colors. Sure, you can tack on supernatural elements to make things more "ambitious" or "original" like a whole bunch of anime this year have, but that just exponentially adds more chance to fall flat on its face... which every single one has done so this year btw (maybe except Tsuritama, but the supernatural elements in that were very mild).

You have to look into sci-fi, fantasy, supernatural or the more "substance" genres to look for seminal ... which is exactly why "plot, premise, concept" is something I look for in those.

Also, nothing is completely seminal these days. Virtually everything is a repackagement of something that's been done in the past, and it's quality depends on how its executed/presented.
Old 2012-09-26, 06:03   Link #1555
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, but there are things that (re)awaken fads. Like Lucky Star did for slice of life comedy centered around four high school girls. Tari Tari isn't going to be one of those.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 06:05   Link #1556
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Yeah, but there are things that (re)awaken fads. Like Lucky Star did for slice of life comedy centered around four high school girls. Tari Tari isn't going to be one of those.
Azumanga Daioh did that 3-4 years before Lucky star did. And before that there was most likely something else.
Old 2012-09-26, 06:05   Link #1557
novalysis

I'd rather have more anime in the vein of Hyouka than Tari Tari, that being said, if you do want to compare Slice of Life Shows.

However, Tari Tari is a fun little piece of entertainment. Nothing exceptional, but neither is it horrible.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 06:09   Link #1558
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
To me it's more a solid series with near-perfect execution at what it's trying to be, and it's never intended nor tried to be some ambitious social commentary or meant to baw your eyes out.

In terms of movies, like I said in my above post, movies are different beast alltogether. 5cm/s, Place Promised in Our Early Days, Time of Eve, Colorful, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Only Yesterday, Millenium Actress, Ocean Waves and the list goes on. These are all magnificent movies of the drama genre... but they are movies, they should be held in different (higher) standards because they have the BUDGET, don't have to pack in as much content as a TV series and can spend more $ per scene making each scene look more remarkable.
Good execution is a necessary condition for a show to be considered great, but in my opinion, it is not a sufficient condition on its own. An analogy could be drawn with olympic diving, where competitors get a score for execution and multiplied by a difficulty factor. A well-executed dive will get high scores for execution, but a diver will not get anywhere if he's only a master of the jacknife and can't do any somersaults.

Of course, movies are an entirely different ball-game, but series can have memorable scenes as well. I referred to 5 cm per second because it was the first example that came to my mind, but the point I was making was that Tari Tari seems to lack that final slam dunk. It doesn't have to be something that's costly to produce. It could be an episode (School Days final ep ), a scene (5 cm/second ending), a single frame, or a single quote (Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn).

Overall, I applaud Tari Tari for its execution, but I can't really find the x-factor that would take it from good to great.

Quote:
Pretty much agree on this.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 06:16   Link #1559
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I'd rather have more anime in the vein of Hyouka than Tari Tari, that being said, if you do want to compare Slice of Life Shows.

However, Tari Tari is a fun little piece of entertainment. Nothing exceptional, but neither is it horrible.
And I prefer more anime in the veins of Usagi Drop. Tastes differ .

Not taking anything away from Hyouka though, since that's also excellent. For me, it's hard to say what's better because they have different aims. Hyouka was more wrapped in more unrealistic but interesting purely fiction set-ups using fancier, prettier and more sophisticated presentation but really it didn’t approach characterization any deeper. Someone with "near god-like detective" skills like Oreki are extremely rare. Not saying it wasn't interesting though, because it definitely was and the relationship between him and Satoshi is what the series for me. Unless you're a Chitanda shipper .

I actually stopped trying to decide what's better, and decided with a cop-out Jinrui, Tari Tari and Hyouka all being the best of the season.
Old 2012-09-26, 06:27   Link #1560
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Good execution is a necessary condition for a show to be considered great, but in my opinion, it is not a sufficient condition on its own. An analogy could be drawn with olympic diving, where competitors get a score for execution and multiplied by a difficulty factor. A well-executed dive will get high scores for execution, but a diver will not get anywhere if he's only a master of the jacknife and can't do any somersaults.
What you just said reminded me of this scene which pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works