AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-03-12, 19:44   Link #8581
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

After re-reading it I think the Negima's ending wasn't so bad. If you think about it, even the problem with Negi's father was kinda of explained when Rakan says "If Negi didn't defeat the Mage of begining and released you...". So I changed my mind about how I view Negima's end.
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 22:03   Link #8582
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcscasio View Post
After re-reading it I think the Negima's ending wasn't so bad. If you think about it, even the problem with Negi's father was kinda of explained when Rakan says "If Negi didn't defeat the Mage of begining and released you...". So I changed my mind about how I view Negima's end.
"And then the children were rescued by, oh, let's say Moe."

No, 'solving' the biggest conflict in the whole series with a throwaway line is NOT good storytelling at all.
Old 2013-03-13, 06:11   Link #8583
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Not to mention it still doesn't answer any of the other important questions. Like, say, who was the mage of the beginning? What did he do to Nagi to make him... whatever he was at the time he fought Negi? And arguably more important: what happened to Negi's mother?

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, there are dozens of unanswered questions like these.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 15:05   Link #8584
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

I didn't say that it was the best end they could give this series, but it was an better ending that what I thought the first time I read.

Sure there are lot's of unanswered questions, but at the same time we have lot of answered questions that, if it was some other authors would never be answered, and we have a big chance that the next series will be in the same world, meaning that we may see this answers from the side lines.
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 15:58   Link #8585
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Honestly, the bits with Negi's father in the last chapter (just that, not the "where are they now" portion, as there's a number of problems with that section) would have the perfect way to end the manga, as it's the type of closure that the readers have been looking for (as the main "drive" of Negima is supposed to be Negi looking for his father). The problem with it: for it to be satisfactory, the last few chapters of the manga should have focused on that final battle, not the manga reverting back to the "unwanted harem" days of the pre-Kyoto volumes (with no reveal whatsoever as who which student Negi ends up with) and having the last "main" storyline feel like a spiritual rehash of the infamous Xebec ending.
Old 2013-03-13, 17:45   Link #8586
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
we have lot of answered questions
Such as?

Who exactly was the Master of the Graves? No.

Who did Negi choose? No.

Who was Chao's female ancestor? No.

What happened to Fate's followers and Anya? No.

What happened to Arika? No.

What happened with the Senate? No.

What became of the Count? No.

How did Hakase and Godel hook up? No.

What was the deal with the twins' princes? No.

How did Sakurako and the other girls got their Pactios? No.

Clarification on the events relayed on the final class roster? No.

How did Bad Future Negi die? No.

Which was Negi's ninth spell? No.

How did Nagi fuse with Lifemaker? No.

How did Ako get her scar? No.

How did they save Nagi? No.

Even something as minor as Cocone's past, when they look like they are going to address it in Volume Zero, they don't end up saying anything on it because TROLL MISORA.

Quote:
we have a big chance that the next series will be in the same world
So what? As I've said before, the connections between series set in the same Akamatsu world are so tenuous they might as well not exist.

Quote:
we may see this answers from the side lines.
Now this is sad. If you're just going to cram answers for a previous series' mess into another series, you didn't do your job well the first time around.
Old 2013-03-18, 08:04   Link #8587
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
How did Hakase and Godel hook up? No.
Actually that isn't too hard to figure out.

Glasses? Check.
Geniuses? Check.
Meglomania? Check
Prone to monologuing? Check.

Hakase probably went on mad science techno babble tangents within earshot of Godel. While most people are left stupefied or terrified by this, Godel was both intelligent AND depraved enough to join in the tangent. This kind of terrifying interchange resulted in an amicable relation between the two of them.

At least that's my head-canon.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 08:44   Link #8588
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

See, that "probably" means that we were never shown in the slightest how it happens. Even half a chapter would have been tons of fun to read.
Old 2013-03-18, 09:34   Link #8589
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
See, that "probably" means that we were never shown in the slightest how it happens. Even half a chapter would have been tons of fun to read.
Oh I know.

I still find it kinda hilarious in a way, since initially it's one of those WTF things that make total sense when you think about it.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 13:22   Link #8590
novalysis

Quote:

Now this is sad. If you're just going to cram answers for a previous series' mess into another series, you didn't do your job well the first time around.
Well, if it's another full length series of a few hundred chapters, I wouldn't consider it cramming, but a proper sequel that builds some of the unanswered questions. Especially if such a sequel poses more questions.

Given the implications of the ability to move between time-lines (and I presume, parallel worlds), there's a crazy amount of potential to be mined if Akamatsu returns to this world.

Of course, this is if Akamatsu returns to this world.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 12:35   Link #8591
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Well, if it's another full length series of a few hundred chapters, I wouldn't consider it cramming, but a proper sequel that builds some of the unanswered questions. Especially if such a sequel poses more questions.

Given the implications of the ability to move between time-lines (and I presume, parallel worlds), there's a crazy amount of potential to be mined if Akamatsu returns to this world.

Of course, this is if Akamatsu returns to this world.
The real world law (to give publishers more power to sue people for doujinshi) made Akamatsu rush the ending. Maybe someone can fix it like the Lelouch S2 remake fancomic or something.....
Old 2013-03-29, 10:42   Link #8592
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
The real world law (to give publishers more power to sue people for doujinshi) made Akamatsu rush the ending. Maybe someone can fix it like the Lelouch S2 remake fancomic or something.....
However, I don't think that's much more than Akamatsu's excuse for it. No one else ever cut their manga short like he did, no law was passed at all, and he went back to Kodansha anyway. And yet he still wants to leave the series buried. Let's face it, he just grew tired of Negima, and now, announcing his next work while saying he'd prefer being an editor in the same statement, we can't really expect him to put much enthusiasm on his next series either. Mark my words, he'll drop it like he did with Negima at the first chance he gets (that is, when he has made enough money out of it).
Old 2013-03-31, 10:13   Link #8593
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Just a quick reminder folks: Ken Akamatsu is one of the few people who does celebrate the tradition of April Fools Day. As such, you may want to take what he posts on Twitter (and possibly his web diary, if he still uses it) with a grain of salt today and tomorrow.
Old 2013-03-31, 13:54   Link #8594
Spamamdorf

One of the few? I was pretty sure a whole bunch of people celebrated that
Spamamdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 17:35   Link #8595
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
However, I don't think that's much more than Akamatsu's excuse for it. No one else ever cut their manga short like he did, no law was passed at all, and he went back to Kodansha anyway. And yet he still wants to leave the series buried. Let's face it, he just grew tired of Negima, and now, announcing his next work while saying he'd prefer being an editor in the same statement, we can't really expect him to put much enthusiasm on his next series either. Mark my words, he'll drop it like he did with Negima at the first chance he gets (that is, when he has made enough money out of it).
It was in protest though.
Old 2013-04-01, 20:34   Link #8596
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
It was in protest though.
So next time he protests over something, and he will since he has put in his mind to be the champion of authors (despite all authors of any actual renown paying him next to zero attention- you won't even see the works of his pal Hata in J Comi, for instance), he will screw the fanbase again in the proccess?
Old 2013-04-03, 05:39   Link #8597
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
Exactly Overmaster.

I actually wanted them to interact with various negima characters. Like how would Setsuna and Motoko interact as of chapter 345 of Negima for example.
Like student and sensei I would guess, considering Setsuna's personality.

Quote:
Or assuming the Mei from negima and the Mei from LH are the same person.* How would Naru react to knowing her sister was a mage.

*I forget if it was ever confirmed if they where the same person.
I think Akamatsu-sensei tried to say Mei in Negima! wasn't the same as the one from Love Hina. Technically, Mei is an anime creation, not an Akamatsu-sensei creation, though he did draw her at the wedding in the last chapter of Love Hina.

Still, Naru has seen strange and supernatural things, primarily through Motoko. So, assuming Mei was her half-sister (or step sister), I think Naru would be surprised by it initially, then accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcscasio View Post
Quote:
"And then the children were rescued by, oh, let's say Moe."

No, 'solving' the biggest conflict in the whole series with a throwaway line is NOT good storytelling at all.
Nope, but it is hurried storytelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Not to mention it still doesn't answer any of the other important questions. Like, say, who was the mage of the beginning? What did he do to Nagi to make him... whatever he was at the time he fought Negi? And arguably more important: what happened to Negi's mother?

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, there are dozens of unanswered questions like these.
Don't forget that the CE folks perfected illusion magic, which is how Shiori was able to become Asuna for a few days (or however long it was...so much happened, and it took so long in our time, it is difficult for me to remember exactly how many days passed from when Asuna was kidnapped until they rescued her).

As to Arika, she's always been the anomaly, much like Eva's time with Ala Rubra. Negi had no mother in the manga until they went to the Magic World (she was never even a thought of Negi's is what I mean), and then Arika was retconned in. Eva apparently never knew about Arika despite hanging with Ala Rubra long enough to become well acquainted with the entire group, even doing some sort of learning with Takahata.

Nagi appears to have wondered to and fro across the Earth (and Magic World) for ten years, disappearing in Istanbul. Where Arika was during that time is a mystery. Arika isn't around when Ala Rubra bring Asuna to Earth, nor when they are traveling the Magic World with Asuna.

Still, we are supposed to believe that Arika was always around somewhere, and then nine months before Nagi disappeared, he got freak nasty with Arika, impregnated her, then ran off again. She gave birth, then died or disappeared, and no one in the village would even say her name. They'd only speak of Nagi.

I've never been happy with the Arika stuff because though Akamatsu-sensei does get away with retconning her in to a degree with most fans, I'm not a fan of retconning. Were someone to PROPERLY do a new anime series from scratch, I'd want them to work with Akamatsu-sensei to work Arika in properly rather than as a retcon.

Quote:
As I've said before, the connections between series set in the same Akamatsu world are so tenuous they might as well not exist.
There's a reason for that, as I see it. Many authors may set their stories within the same world, but when they are telling a new story, they don't like to revisit old characters even though they may mention them. CLAMP would be an exception to that rule, as they seem to just love to revisit their old creations, but Akamatsu-sensei gives small nods to his previous creations. I think he stated that Nitta-sensei was the same character from A.I. Love You.

Quote:
However, I don't think that's much more than Akamatsu's excuse for it. No one else ever cut their manga short like he did, no law was passed at all, and he went back to Kodansha anyway.
Heh. There've been other manga that have been cut short. CLAMP has quite a few. ^_~

Still, the law aspects aside, Akamatsu-sensei got the copyrights to ALL of his manga creations back from Kodansha. No doubt, his wife, the former model, wanted more time with him. Plus, I'm guessing that he was burned out. I'm his age and I know those long hours aren't so easy to do any more. ^_^;

If Akamatsu-sensei's new manga picks Negima! back up, then it is all academic -- he needed a break, but he didn't want to leave fans hanging on for a year or longer, assuming he didn't get a new deal with Kodansha (with Akamatsu-sensei retaining copyrights but granting license to Kodansha to publish and distribute the manga). So, he gives a quick wrap up chapter.

If Akamatsu-sensei's new manga isn't Negima! and has nothing to do with it (other than the cursory nods), then I'd agree that Akamatsu-sensei just got tired of Negima! and wanted to move on.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 10:33   Link #8598
Spamamdorf

Is it weird that I never noticed that Arika was a retcon and didn't see any of the ways that she didn't fit in the story?
Spamamdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 13:54   Link #8599
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmno, but I agree with Astro here. It is rather weird that Negi never wondered about his mother, nor that Eva ever heard of her or anyone even mentioned Negi's mother at all.

However, retcons aside, I would still have liked some answers in the ending. Especially to these very questions raised by the retcon.
Old 2013-04-04, 12:04   Link #8600
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
Heh. There've been other manga that have been cut short. CLAMP has quite a few. ^_~
(Facepalms). I mean it in the context of being cut short specifically by that proposal of law. Even Akamatsu's close friend Hata kept Hayate the Combat Butler going.

Quote:
Still, the law aspects aside, Akamatsu-sensei got the copyrights to ALL of his manga creations back from Kodansha. No doubt, his wife, the former model, wanted more time with him.
I don't know. The way he gave the cosplayer character the worst end of them all sort of makes me think he wasn't so happy with his cosplayer wife, at least at the time.

Tags
action, fantasy