AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2004-02-23, 17:49   Link #1
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

How to color fanart in photoshop CS

Hey, can anyone help me?
I can't seem to figure out how to outline the drawing.
You know, like the black outlines. I know how to do it in paintshop pro.

I can figure out the actual coloring part, but the outlining is confusing me.
Help is greatly appreciated

Also, anyone have any tips to use when coloring.
Thanks again
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 19:04   Link #2
Dark_Sun
I LOVE YOU!

srry if you were expecting some help but..i am just adding that some help would be nice.
Dark_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 19:59   Link #3
Mundain
They call me stew

Send a message via AIM to Mundain
Well, I have done a total of 1 outline in PS, and its on the fourms here I dunno where, I am sposed to post the finished but I havent. but anyway, let me tell you how I did it.

I start out with a huge picture, like 2000+ x 3000+ or something like that. I still only use 200 DPI though, cause for 1, im no pro, and its just a waste of ram :-p . anyway, I take that large drawing, and then my hard edged bursh tool on a size that looks good to you when its on like 25% zoom. I used 7 on the ourline, and 4 on detail lines. I used the eraser to vary the zsize where it neeeded to be change, or brought to a point and such. Best advice, go slow, really slow. Also, I didnt use the pen tool, but if you use that, it will most in likely make your job much easier, more so if you have a mouse.

hope that helps, maybe I will make some screenshots of how I did it if you want me to.
Mundain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 20:46   Link #4
zillford
Wandering/Rambling Artist

well there's two things I can sugguest depending on if I understand the question right.

the easiest one is to simply set your scanned lineart layer to "multiply" and then add the color to layers under it. with multiply on, it will make the color appear anywhere there isn't black. the neat thing about this is that it works with transparancies. why is this good? because a scanned pencil line is not just a single black line, if you zoom to the pixel level you'll notice that it goes from dark grey/black to a very faint grey. that's because those are (as far as the multiply layer is concerned) gradients of transparancy.

the simple end result of this is that you'll maintain your pencils smoothness, and still have total color incorperation.

if you're talking about digitally inking your pictures, then I would reccomend you NOT use Photoshop at all. for any of my digital inks I use Illustrator, as it can do many wonderful things for an inker that Photoshop just wasn't built to do.

if you're interested in pursuing the second option, I can add more on the topic.

:EDIT:
if you really need black outlines (not just pencil) and you don't have Illustrator, then I would sugguest inking by hand. a 20 cent ballpoint is a great choice: it's cheap, and it has some nice effects that a inking pen doesn't. otherwise, use a drafting/inking pen or a brush.
zillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 20:51   Link #5
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
ooh, I'd like to hear some more about that
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 21:08   Link #6
zillford
Wandering/Rambling Artist

then look no further, my friend
zillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 21:36   Link #7
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
wow, that's really nice. I'll have to check it out soon, when I have some time.

time: the only thing that everone has the same amount of. Some waste it while some crave it. While young, we thow it away and while old seek to gain it back. Worthless one moment and priceless the next. Gives more of itself to you when you least want it, while escaping your grasp when you most desperately wish to keep it. We are all given time. When we are born, it is the only common gift we have. What is done during that time is what determines its value.

Okay, why. I just wasted.... yes, time. I felt like typing and that came out, whatever. I'll write a book about time some time, when I get... well, time. Funny how often we don't have (or pretend to not have) time.
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote