AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2004-08-08, 09:13   Link #1
Tallica

Send a message via AIM to Tallica
Macross / Robotech connection

Hey i am a little confused...what is the exact relation between Macross and Robotech?? yesterday i decided to pick up robotech volume 1...its the first 12 eps i think...anyway i was just wondering what i was watching in relation to the entire macross universe or whatnot...
Tallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 10:34   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallica
Hey i am a little confused...what is the exact relation between Macross and Robotech?? yesterday i decided to pick up robotech volume 1...its the first 12 eps i think...anyway i was just wondering what i was watching in relation to the entire macross universe or whatnot...
Robotech is a patchwork of three different mecha shows (Macross, Southern Cross and something else I think).
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 10:57   Link #3
Mr.Minou

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Robotech is a patchwork of three different mecha shows (Macross, Southern Cross and something else I think).
the third part is "Mospaeda".
Mr.Minou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 12:40   Link #4
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

also anything with macross in the title can/does have a japanese audio track
Robotech, being a frankenstein-esque modification of 3 different series, cannot have a japanese audio track (or else it would make even less sense than it does already)
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 13:19   Link #5
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Not to mention that one of the biggest changes is Robotech changing of what Protoculture is. They made it into a energy source. Macross was very clear that it has to do with "The First Culture" i.e. Prototype and Culture combined. And the Earthlings had culture similar to the ancient one the Zentradi were created by. Macross 7 goes a lot further into it.
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 13:26   Link #6
Tallica

Send a message via AIM to Tallica
judging from the tone of some of the replies it seem that u don't think robotech is very good. is macross better to watch?
Tallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 13:52   Link #7
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallica
judging from the tone of some of the replies it seem that u don't think robotech is very good. is macross better to watch?
Super Dimensional Fortress: Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Corss, and MOSPEDA uncut versions are all much better. You get the real soundtracks, real story, and are allowed to come to your own conclusions.

I started long ago with Robotech and then learned he truth of the series. I enjoyed the originals much better.

Oh, and the actress who plays Minmay can actually sing in Macross. And the songs are different at times, not the repeat song they keep running in the Macross Saga version.
Old 2004-08-09, 07:11   Link #8
megumidk
Chii ?

I have been a long time Robotech fan, but when i, years later, saw the original shows, i found the plot of those a lot better, especially the Macross part.
And as Heibi mentions, the music side of the japanese version if wastly superiour to the somewhat monotone english dub.
megumidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 12:39   Link #9
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
Question about Macross

I see Macross 7, 0, etc. and seems to be popular. From Animeinfo's description, it seems like it happens in the Robotech universe. I loved Robotech, very good plot and lots of action. Is it related to Robotech? And could anybody give so info to get a better understanding of plot and what order to see them in? Thank you for your time.
husyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 13:10   Link #10
Enron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
I see Macross 7, 0, etc. and seems to be popular. From Animeinfo's description, it seems like it happens in the Robotech universe. I loved Robotech, very good plot and lots of action. Is it related to Robotech? And could anybody give so info to get a better understanding of plot and what order to see them in? Thank you for your time.
Robotech has nothing to do with Macross. Robotech was an american creation, by the bastard Carl Macek, formed by splicing together animation from 3 different unrelated anime - Macross, Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada - and rewriting the story and dialogue to make it all fit. DO not confuse robotech with macross.
Enron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 13:25   Link #11
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

To start I'd say that Robotech takes place in the Macross universe and not the other way around. Robotech is an unholy bastardization of three completely different and unrelated series; Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross and Genesis Climber Mospeada. The producers of Robotech chopped the three series apart then pieced them back together in a way that allowed them to make a 'new' longer series out of them so they could achieve syndication.

To watch Macross in chronological order follow the list below:
  1. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (TV)
  2. Macross Zero (OVA)
  3. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross - Flash Back 2012 (OVA)
  4. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (Movie)
  5. Macross Plus (OVA/Movie)
  6. Macross 7 (TV)
  7. Macross 7: The Galaxy's Calling Me! (Movie)
  8. Macross Dynamite 7 (OVA)
  9. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II: Lovers Again (OVA - Released in US as Movie)
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 14:39   Link #12
Kaizoku Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper

To watch Macross in chronological order follow the list below:
  1. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (TV)
  2. Macross Zero (OVA)
  3. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross - Flash Back 2012 (OVA)
  4. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (Movie)
  5. Macross Plus (OVA/Movie)
  6. Macross 7 (TV)
  7. Macross 7: The Galaxy's Calling Me! (Movie)
  8. Macross Dynamite 7 (OVA)
  9. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II: Lovers Again (OVA - Released in US as Movie)
That's not entirely true. If you really want to watch everything in chronological order, you should start with Macross Zero, as that actually takes place before SDF Macross.
I wouldn't suggest doing that though, as the difference in animation-quality will be very, very large going from Macross Zero back to SDF Macross. Not that there's anything wrong with SDF Macross's animation, but the differences are somewhat obvious.
I'd actually suggest not watching it in chronological order at all, as that'd mean saving the worst shows for finals, meaning you'd end off with a bitter taste. I'd suggest just watching it in the order in which it was released.
Kaizoku Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 14:45   Link #13
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Good to know, thanks all for the great info and suggestions.
Old 2004-11-04, 15:53   Link #14
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizoku Luffy
That's not entirely true. If you really want to watch everything in chronological order, you should start with Macross Zero, as that actually takes place before SDF Macross.
SDF Macross starts on July 17 1999 and covers until some time in January 2012 while Macross Zero takes place in September 2008. If anything you'd have to stop watching SDF Macross around episode three, watch Macross Zero, then resume watching SDF Macross where you left off. For simplicity sake I listed it as to be watched after SDF Macross although you could watch it first if you wanted to.
Old 2004-11-04, 16:00   Link #15
Kaizoku Luffy

Quote:
SDF Macross starts on July 17 1999 and covers until some time in January 2012 while Macross Zero takes place in September 2008. If anything you'd have to stop watching SDF Macross around episode three, watch Macross Zero, then resume watching SDF Macross where you left off. For simplicity sake I listed it as to be watched after SDF Macross although you could watch it first if you wanted to.
Hehe, you've got a point there. I listed Macross Zero chronologically before SDF Macross as just about the entire series takes place after Macross Zero.
It ís indeed true that the first few episodes take place much earlier, though
Kaizoku Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 16:08   Link #16
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

It's kind of annoying, especially when trying to list the series chronologically, that the first 3 episodes of SDF Macross cover nearly an entire decade. ^^:
Old 2004-11-04, 17:30   Link #17
Enron
Banned

Quote:
You'd actually have to STOP watching SDF Macross about 3 minutes in. The first ep. shows the ASS-1 (the macross' designation before it was rechristened; and no, im not kidding about the name) crashing in 1999; then in the next few minutes it shows the growth around the spaceship thoughout the years.
Enron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 21:07   Link #18
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Okay, I just started to watch Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. Saw the first two episodes, and its exactly the same as Robotech Saga. Other the voice acting, and some names. Its exactly the same. Are there any differences later on? Or should I just jump to the other ones mentioned in the list above?
Old 2004-12-26, 01:01   Link #19
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
Okay, I just started to watch Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. Saw the first two episodes, and its exactly the same as Robotech Saga. Other the voice acting, and some names. Its exactly the same. Are there any differences later on? Or should I just jump to the other ones mentioned in the list above?

There are a few differences in the actual show, but the first 36 eps follow the storyline pretty well. However, THERE ARE NO ROBOTECH MASTERS AND PROTOCULTURE IS NOT AN ENERGY SOURCE. Macross 7 deals with the Protuculture origins after episode 28 sometime. After episode 36 stop watching Robotech if you want to follow Macross. Southern Cross doesn't even take place on Earth and in MOSPEDA the Earth was conquered and humanity is trying to take it back. And it isn't Protoculture in their mechs.
Old 2004-12-26, 19:58   Link #20
megumidk
Chii ?

Picture for picture are Macross and the first part of robotech almost identical. But the story, the personalities and many connects are quite different in the two shows. One of the most dominent changes are the nature of protoculture and the more mature cast in the japanese version.
Also, i think the musical section of the Macross version outranks Robotech by by lightyears.
megumidk is offline   Reply With Quote