AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-09-22, 02:32   Link #401
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Eliath fails to consider that the Core 2 Duo eliminates the for "1337 gigahertz".
Old 2006-09-22, 02:43   Link #402
Shounen
Away for good

After all this rubbish i've read.. I'm still amazed that people still uses WMP
and CCCP (russia?) and or other user friendly codec packs.
I've never used any of it. Exept that ive read about em...
Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 07:30   Link #403
DryFire
Panda Herder

- comment retracted.

Last edited by DryFire; 2006-09-22 at 09:07.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 11:50   Link #404
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounen
After all this rubbish i've read.. I'm still amazed that people still uses WMP
and CCCP (russia?) and or other user friendly codec packs.
I've never used any of it. Exept that ive read about em...
What's wrong with CCCP? It installs the necessary stuff to play mkv/mp4 files as well as h264 encodes, doesn't wreck my system and spares me the hunt for every separate component. Or was that comment stealth irony? Just curious...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 11:55   Link #405
Ishimaru-kun
My one and only

Send a message via AIM to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via MSN to Ishimaru-kun Send a message via Yahoo to Ishimaru-kun
There's nothing wrong with CCCP, I personally love it, but I configure it to use another h.264 decoder, instead of FFDShow.
Ishimaru-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-22, 12:28   Link #406
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
Whoa Nicholi... Did you mix up the point of comparison of running Vista vs h.264 on other windows into h.264 on Vista? Anyway. 800Mhz minimum for Vista, huh? That's cool. That means if you can run Vista, you can watch h.264 stuff that we've been releasing up to this point. (No guarantee, since I don't know when we'll feel like releasing 720p encodes in the future...) Earlier this year, my staff member has made couple posts stating that he had no problem watching our released materials on his 733Mhz PIII machine. Only with that information in our hand, we've decided to make a hard switch.
Hehe @_@, mayhaps I did. In my defense his sentences were confusing to begin with, and I blame Fluffy's fires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei
Vista still works fine where your h264 releases are already unwatchable.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 08:49   Link #407
Shounen
Away for good

aww forgot my last post...
forgot that there exists people out there, that only need decoders ^^
Old 2006-09-23, 15:17   Link #408
Nei

First of all, I never said that I cannot watch h264 on Vista, but only that I cannot watch h264 where Vista runs fine.
I'm running Vista and I cannot play your encodes, so I should know, don't you think?
Oh and of course I was previously also running XP, and I could not watch them either. And Linux, where it is impossible as well.
Of course I tried with CCCP as well as libavcodec and CoreAVC, with various players.
I have the proof right here at my desk, how can you who obviously doesn't, claim that I'm lying?
Nei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 15:40   Link #409
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Nei: Define "impossible". Also, CCCP Insurgent log or GTFO. My experience tells me I should be very much more inclined to think that you're doing something wrong than to believe that your computer fails it.

The reason I can claim you're lying (or rather, you yourself believe what you say is the truth, but it's very likely not) is that I've seen and solved hundreds of similiar playback problems over the course of almost two years, and I have no reason whatsoever to believe that your case should be more special than anyone else's. Now give us an Insurgent log and some hard facts about your computer and we'll solve your problem, too.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 15:41   Link #410
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei
First of all, I never said that I cannot watch h264 on Vista, but only that I cannot watch h264 where Vista runs fine.
I'm running Vista and I cannot play your encodes, so I should know, don't you think?
Oh and of course I was previously also running XP, and I could not watch them either. And Linux, where it is impossible as well.
Of course I tried with CCCP as well as libavcodec and CoreAVC, with various players.
I have the proof right here at my desk, how can you who obviously doesn't, claim that I'm lying?
Obviously because we can't see what's happening on your end of the internet, and experience tells us otherwise

Post your specs, a test render, what you're trying to play and tell us what you're using to play back and we might just find your problem.

Edit: Curse you, TheFluff :-)
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 15:44   Link #411
Shounen
Away for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei
try ffdshow + mpc
and do this to after you've installed ff:

set it to libavcodec... -> OK
should work...

EDIT^
Old 2006-09-23, 16:06   Link #412
Nicholi
King of Hosers

linux playback = mplayer = very possible even on slow cpu's
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 16:28   Link #413
TheFluff

He probably failed and used VLC or something with an ancient (and slow) libavcodec build. After all, VLC 0.8.5 has a late-november 2005 lavc build, which, IIRC, was just after fixing the last evil crash bugs but before any significant optimizations...
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-09-23, 16:42   Link #414
Nei

Here are a few of your requested details (I'm not lurking on the forums all day like you guys so excuse my not instant response...)
Tell me if there's anything missing.
Spoiler for cccp insurgent scan:

Spoiler for cccp insurgent scan after installing cccp, includes test render!:
Old 2006-09-23, 16:54   Link #415
emptyeighty

Nei: I've got good news and bad news for you. The good news is your system is very clean codec-wise. The bad news is this: Processor: VIA C3, ~1.0GHz. That probably won't be able to play h.264 since it's a cheap and slow proc. Your only chance is to give CoreAVC a try, but don't expect anything. Read here for instructions on how to use it with CCCP.
Old 2006-09-23, 16:57   Link #416
Nei

Here is a log with CoreAVC:
Spoiler for coreavc & cccp:

Well I already said so in my initial post, didn't I.
Vista works fine, but h264 playback is impossible - regardless the operating system.
Wonder who's right here now and who's talking BS, TheFluff.
Old 2006-09-23, 16:58   Link #417
TheFluff

Via C3? No wonder it doesn't work. That "1 GHz" processor is probably equivalent to a 750 MHz PIII or less when it comes to general performance. For video decoding, it's essentially the moral equivalent of a typewriter. Add in the fact that the video decoders are optimized for Athlons and Pentiums... probably not even CoreAVC is enough.
My only advice for you is "get a real CPU". Sorry I can't help you any further, but that Via C3 is really not what we mean when we say "1 GHz CPU".

Oh, and I stand by my statement that on a system with a more decent CPU, 800 MHz will be enough for 640x480 fansub H264 decoding.

EDIT: post the results of Haali's TimeCodec utility when rendering a H264 file to null output. I want to know how bad it really is...

Old 2006-09-23, 17:01   Link #418
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Nei, you have an ancient, unsupported processor. Why are you running Vista Basic (you are essentially running Vista Basic because your system can't take advantage of all the Vista Ultimate goodies like Aero Glass or DVD Authoring) on it?
Old 2006-09-23, 17:02   Link #419
Nei

Oh come on now, first you say it is my stupidity, then you blame it on my CPU, but in fact it is 1GHz, runs Windows Vista™ Ultimate just fine, and can play back everything else but h264.
My computer is neither ancient nor unsupported. I can even play games on it.
I'll see what I can do about that TimeCodec thingy.

Update1: It's "working".

Last edited by Nei; 2006-09-23 at 17:14.
Old 2006-09-23, 17:13   Link #420
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei
Oh come on now, first you say it is my stupidity, then you blame it on my CPU, but in fact it is 1GHz, runs Windows Vista™ Ultimate just fine, and can play back everything else but h264.
I'll see what I can do about that TimeCodec thingy.
Everything but h.264 you say? Try this MPEG4 ASP (read: Xvid) file. Or this h.264 file.
Bottom line is it all depends on the settings used.

Also note this screenshot of a C3 800MHz running Vista idle at around 37% CPU usage.