AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-19, 01:21   Link #281
Jski

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...pril/index.php is a link to Fan Francisco 1906 7.9 magnitude earthquake. If i am reading this right the energy related would be = to Mt. St. Helens eruption or Largest H-bomb explosion. So 8.0 like end of world type lol.
There are a lot of different scales such as richter and mercalli i do not know which they are using for this show.
I did not look btw if some one pointed this out allrdy and i am very sry if they did!
Jski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 02:37   Link #282
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

in the subs they say richter
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 02:38   Link #283
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Hmm... no Lord of the Flies just yet, but we'll see how it goes from here.

Especially for a nation TOTALLY reliant on electronics and cellphones, it'd be like seeing Vulcans in Klingon now.
I don't think it'll descend into anarchy that quickly, since Lord of the Flies has no adults. (Coincidently, I'm only here on AS right now becuase I'm procrastinating on my essay on that very book!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I found Mirai's angst to be annoying, yet fantastic. She's a young girl going through a rebellious period. Even though her Mom is fine(for the most part) she still has complaints about her not being perfect, and she has legitimate complaints against her dad. Basically they make her unsympathetic (by making her exactly what most were at that age) so that she has enormous room for growth in a disaster situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
I love the way they have built up Mirai's character. She is extremely flawed. You get to hear the reasoning inside her head why she acts the way she does and she is nothing but a brat. But she is a 13 year old girl from a dysfunctional family.
Every 13 year old girl in this world thinks the world sucks and that everyone hates them. Hell, even I went through that age. Mirai is being portrayed so nicely in here, unlike other animes, where the young teenager is a) acting like she's in elementary school, or b) acting way too mature for her own age.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 02:47   Link #284
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Every 13 year old girl in this world thinks the world sucks and that everyone hates them. Hell, even I went through that age. Mirai is being portrayed so nicely in here, unlike other animes, where the young teenager is a) acting like she's in elementary school, or b) acting way too mature for her own age.
Heck, I'm still going through that stage and I'm way passed 13.

... I'm also not a girl.

Ehhhh... I'm really not sure what to think about this anime. At times I enjoy it, and at others I don't. I suppose I was sort of hoping for a more Disaster Report sort of disaster with huge amounts of destruction, flooding, etc. I mean, at the least I expected to see some wicked tsunamis.

It's an 8.0 ffs. Isn't the big thing about earthquakes in coastal regions that they create giant waves that wreck stuff? I don't know anymore, but frankly I'm disappointed. I'm hoping that yet more destruction ensues, because if this was an 8.0 then it seems like it was a pretty pathetic 8.0. I know Japan's building codes are probably strict in terms of earthquake reinforcement and stuff, but still...

Oh well. Maybe I'm just stupid.
Old 2009-07-19, 02:52   Link #285
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
It's an 8.0 ffs. Isn't the big thing about earthquakes in coastal regions that they create giant waves that wreck stuff? I don't know anymore, but frankly I'm disappointed. I'm hoping that yet more destruction ensues, because if this was an 8.0 then it seems like it was a pretty pathetic 8.0. I know Japan's building codes are probably strict in terms of earthquake reinforcement and stuff, but still...

Oh well. Maybe I'm just stupid.
Tsunamis come after...it could take a few minutes after the shake, or even a few hours. The news reporter in the anime did say to watch out for aftershocks (which we have seen) and tsunamis (I'd expect them to show up soon, if they're going to happen).

Old 2009-07-19, 03:52   Link #286
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Color me impressed as far as episode 2 is concerned. Not only were they able to create that sort of tension that one gets from a major disaster, they were able to convey that uncertain atmosphere created by not knowing when the aftershocks would occur. That was heightened further when Mirai and Mari were exploring the mall. Enclosed space + threat of aftershocks yielded a very unnerving situation, at least for me anyhow.

The other point that impressed me was how effortlessly they were able to make us empathize with the characters. There's something to be said about shared experiences in disasters that bring us all together, and I think the most powerful line uttered during that episode was when Mari answers Mirai's question as to why she's helping them out. That was definitely a tear-jerker moment and to know that people will band together in times of need is extremely uplifting.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 06:10   Link #287
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
... I'm also not a girl.
Could've fooled me.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 07:25   Link #288
TCman

Saw the episode 2 several days ago, I must say it's a nice episode. The scenes I like in this episode are:

- the scene where Mirai used the nearly collapsing stairway, taking the risk to jump over to the other side of the building in search for her younger brother Yuuki; Mari went after her and "scolding" her for taking such a risk;
- when Mirai realized that she had asked Yuuki to buy some drinks, so she changed her "strategy" of the search for Yuuki instead of searching Yuuki in the toilets;
- when Mari get the birthday cake, which was meant for her little daughter, it was crumbled, but it's still round as Mirai has noticed (probably refering to her family being "broken" or "seperated" by her parents' busy life-style/working life - Mirai's mother bought several slices of cakes for her own birthday instead of a genuine round birthday cake, probably the one like Mari's cake;

As whether Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is an educational show or not; maybe not since an educational show/series would add (slip in) things like "what to do when earthquakes happened" or "how to do CPR" etc. etc.. or showing more facts about and history of earthquakes in Japan/the world.

According wikipedia the earthquake in the anime is 8.0 on the Shindo scale; The Shindo scale has been used in Japan from 1996 without change; see for more info the table of JMA*.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 08:36   Link #289
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
You know I'm kind of interested in the possibility that instead of being an all-out lives-ruined parents-dead kind of tragedy, the series might instead deal with the horrible but not insurmountably tragic effect that an earthquake has on a fragile middle-class family as they rebuild their lives. Maybe it's just me liking the first episode a bit too much ^_^;
But the family is on the edge of not being a family anymore. An earthquake changing behaviour in adults is in itself cliched. They will just go back to regular behaviour after reuniting and getting settled.

Clean slate is the best thing imo. Mirai wanted the world to "break" so kill off the parents and lets see what happens. If she ends up with Mari, it's a good thing.
Old 2009-07-19, 10:13   Link #290
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
According wikipedia the earthquake in the anime is 8.0 on the Shindo scale; The Shindo scale has been used in Japan from 1996 without change; see for more info the table of JMA*.
It wouldn't make sense to use a number beyond the end of the scale so figures like Category 6 hurricanes and Richter 11 earthquakes are meaningless. The Shindo scale only goes to 7, so it's pretty clear that it's not what's being used. Making it Richter 8.0 would make a lot more sense as it would make this show analogous to the Great Kanto Earthquake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jski View Post
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...pril/index.php is a link to Fan Francisco 1906 7.9 magnitude earthquake. If i am reading this right the energy related would be = to Mt. St. Helens eruption or Largest H-bomb explosion. So 8.0 like end of world type lol.
There are a lot of different scales such as richter and mercalli i do not know which they are using for this show.
I did not look btw if some one pointed this out allrdy and i am very sry if they did!
Different kinds of energies manifest themselves in very different ways. In an earthquake, most of the energy ends up moving very large masses of earth, so they would be far less destructive than an atomic explosion would be. A Richter 8.0 earthquake generates the energy equivalent of 15 megatons of TNT; this is smaller than the larget nuclear bomb ever made (50 megatons), and it's only 1/60th of the energy of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. 8.0 earthquakes occur about once a year somewhere on Earth. What makes this one special is that it's a direct hit on a major city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But the family is on the edge of not being a family anymore. An earthquake changing behaviour in adults is in itself cliched. They will just go back to regular behaviour after reuniting and getting settled.

Clean slate is the best thing imo. Mirai wanted the world to "break" so kill off the parents and lets see what happens. If she ends up with Mari, it's a good thing.
I'm not sure where you get the idea that Mirai's family is falling apart from. They are a little on the dysfunctional side, with little bits of ennui slipping in when they talk, but her parents are hardly on the verge of breaking up or anything like that. And indeed, most of the angst draws from Mirai's projection of what everyone is feeling. The proper term to describe Mirai's family is normal; maybe even painfully so.
Old 2009-07-19, 10:24   Link #291
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'm not sure where you get the idea that Mirai's family is falling apart from. They are a little on the dysfunctional side, with little bits of ennui slipping in when they talk, but her parents are hardly on the verge of breaking up or anything like that. And indeed, most of the angst draws from Mirai's projection of what everyone is feeling. The proper term to describe Mirai's family is normal; maybe even painfully so.
Very well-put, and I think that's rather the point. There's nothing bizarre or even unusual about Mirai and Yuuki's family - they deal with the same frustrations and distance that typical Japanese families do. The everyday challenge is to remain connected when all of daily life's demands are pulling them apart. It doesn't mean they don't love each other or want to connect to each other - it just means they usually (except Yuuki) take each other for granted.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 10:31   Link #292
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

In the first place, what family isn't dysfunctional? A good tragedy is a catalyst to either bring the family closer together or to finally tear it apart.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 12:53   Link #293
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The tone of the story is too light to be heavy on tragedy. There's an almost sentimental feeling that happens in episode two, especially brought on by Mari's dialogue.

The earthquake itself felt very understated. The scenes of destruction (especially the shot of the city on fire) were more striking than the event itself. However the episode improved greatly over the first, and what might have been a "drop" has now bumped to a "I'll check out a few more episodes". I'm interested in seeing where they'll go with this.
Old 2009-07-19, 13:15   Link #294
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
According wikipedia the earthquake in the anime is 8.0 on the Shindo scale;
This was changed from the original "Richter" on July 14 by an anonymous party. I have corrected it back to "Richter". The evidence is overwhelming.

Anybody who thinks that Mirai's family is dysfunctional has a homelife to be envied.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-07-19 at 13:38.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 13:46   Link #295
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Anybody who thinks that Mirai's family is dysfunctional has a homelife to be envied.
And remember, we are seeing things from her POV.

If there is a thirteen year old girl doesn't think that the world sucks and her parents are horrible, then that person has never gone through puberty.

Old 2009-07-19, 14:05   Link #296
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Surprisingly better episode compared to the first.
Old 2009-07-19, 17:17   Link #297
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

I agree. I was gonna stop after watching 2 eps but, this totally improved.
Old 2009-07-19, 17:21   Link #298
Jski

Something that been bugging me on the first few seen she seems alone after it happen and back into her "old" gloomy mood. This could be an omen. My bet is that if the tree she planted is still there it will be happily if the tree is no longer there is going to be sad. I hope i did not spoly it but it was the very first seen.
Jski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 18:08   Link #299
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
And remember, we are seeing things from her POV.

If there is a thirteen year old girl doesn't think that the world sucks and her parents are horrible, then that person has never gone through puberty.
I didn't and I went thru puberty. Gender issues not withstanding of course.

Family is not normal. I agree with Mirai especially since Mari had a round birthday cake for her daughter.

Kids died in episode 2 (12:39-13:05). Nicely shown under rubble too. It's not that light.
Old 2009-07-19, 20:52   Link #300
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I had a much more positive reaction to this episode, largely I suspect because Mirai wasn't able to whiine so consistently through it.

I did find the general calm of the people coming out of the building rather impalusible, though. Mirai wasn't the only person to lose track of a family member I'm sure. Where were the distraught parents, siblings and friends of those other people? I'm not looking for scenes of looting, but the surrounding populace seemed remarkably sedate. As one poster earlier suggested, isn't it a bit surprising that no one asked to share their cake? Not searching for bottled water and snack foods when they were in that store seemed a bit implausible as well. I reached the same conclusion Kaoru Chujo did about Japanese behavior, though I defer to those with empirical knowledge of the Japanese and their culture.

Still, I'm in for a few more episodes. Has the character model for Mari become something of a meme in recent anime? She certainly looks strikingly like Balsa. Is this now the "standard" 30-ish female model?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy