AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-27, 05:24   Link #101
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Goddamnit, I should just copy-paste Matrim's comments, since he said pretty much everything I wanted to say.

To put it lightly, that was certainly an elaborate way to make a point. Funnily enough, the panda thing was certainly bizarre, but I wouldn't say ridiculous. I mean, sure, the plot followed a really twisted path to get to that point, but other than Sachiko being able to tell it was Yumi in the suit (which was vital since it was the main point the sequence was trying to make), nothing was left so unexplained that it stretched suspension of disbelief beyond the tolerable. But, it is, at the end of the day, just another example of Sachiko's strengthening love for Yumi. I think we're well and truly beyond the stage now that we all recognize that they have a strong, mutual love for each other in their relationship. Let's see some more focus on the shaky, uncertain relationships.

Like Yumi and Kanako's. As someone said before, I also hated the fact that they skimped on Kanako's introduction, and she was just in Yumi's life at the beginning of the ep like she'd always been there. That's poor storytelling, IMO... let's see a proper character introduction. And this is coming from someone that hasn't read the novels. But, I want to sing the praises of Tsutako, who I think is unfortunately underappreciated and doesn't get the screen time she arguably deserves. She was great in this ep. Ditto Sei, but she's always awesome, so that goes without saying. Loved that character interaction with her and Kashiwagi.

Speaking of awesome character interactions, I highly approved of Yumi's playful teasing of Touko. Certainly that's a relationship that needs more exploration.
Spoiler for speculation from someone who hasn't read the novels:

Good ep, but I think we've seen enough Yumi x Sachiko. Looking forward to more Yumi x <insert petite souer here>.
Old 2007-04-27, 08:09   Link #102
Noriko
白薔薇のファン。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I also hated the fact that they skimped on Kanako's introduction, and she was just in Yumi's life at the beginning of the ep like she'd always been there. That's poor storytelling, IMO... let's see a proper character introduction.
True enough, that bothered me too, especially since we start the ep like that. But after, Yumi says she can't recall how she and Kanako first met and how she got to have her help at the mansion...

So that abrupt appearance of Kanako was maybe to emphasize this idea of "she's always been there not too far, as any Lilian student, we just didn't take notice before".... isn't it kind of fitted for the stalker she is? ^^;

Although I didn't like Touko in the previous season, and I still can't say I like her, I do enjoy her interactions with Yumi, seeing this witted chareacter blushing from Yumi's cute teasing is... also very cute ^.^
Old 2007-04-27, 09:04   Link #103
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriko View Post

So that abrupt appearance of Kanako was maybe to emphasize this idea of "she's always been there not too far, as any Lilian student, we just didn't take notice before".... isn't it kind of fitted for the stalker she is? ^^;
What's funny about this statement is that Kanako appears in the second OAV episode twice. The first time is VERY easy to overlook her, but the second time is pretty obvious.

If Excel Saga taught us anything, it's that everybody loves a panda (yeah, the panda scene for some reason reminded me of when Excel dressed up that robot with the bomb as a panda).
Old 2007-04-27, 16:56   Link #104
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Like Yumi and Kanako's. As someone said before, I also hated the fact that they skimped on Kanako's introduction, and she was just in Yumi's life at the beginning of the ep like she'd always been there. That's poor storytelling, IMO... let's see a proper character introduction. And this is coming from someone that hasn't read the novels.
To be fair, that's exactly how the novel begins. It starts right as the anime did, and is meant, in my opinion, to be jarring and unsettling.
Old 2007-04-27, 20:57   Link #105
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
What's funny about this statement is that Kanako appears in the second OAV episode twice. The first time is VERY easy to overlook her, but the second time is pretty obvious.
She was also in episode 6 or 7 (I can't remember exactly) of the second series as a face in the crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriko View Post
True enough, that bothered me too, especially since we start the ep like that. But after, Yumi says she can't recall how she and Kanako first met and how she got to have her help at the mansion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Gaffney View Post
To be fair, that's exactly how the novel begins. It starts right as the anime did, and is meant, in my opinion, to be jarring and unsettling.
Even if it was in the novels and done for a reason, I still have trouble buying it. I mean, so far this series has been fairly detailed as far as a chronicle of Yumi's life is concerned, and I'd consider a new student coming to the Rose Mansion is a major event. I mean, we were shown how Touko first started helping out at the Rose Mansion. One does not just ease themselves into a place where only a small group of certain people go without people noticing her or conveniently forgetting how she started going there in the first place. Even if they said something as simple as "she volunteered to help out" would have been acceptable. It feels like we've missed something major in Yumi's life, which is pretty much a first in this series, from memory.

It is only a minor criticism at the end of the day, though.
Old 2007-04-27, 21:39   Link #106
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't believe it had anything to do with Yumi. From the translation I read, those clubs volunteered before Yumi came into the picture - they were just glad she was the one to open the door instead of one of the rosae.
I been while since I last read but double check myself. It was that fact it was play been done by the Yamayurikai that pull the extra interest from other club.

You are right that they were just happy that Yumi had answer the door.

Sorry for confusion on my part. I got my self all confuse there and mix up.
Old 2007-04-28, 06:52   Link #107
ashe
くぽ!

That was a good dose of Maria-sama! Beautiful.. wish it doesn't end.
Old 2007-04-28, 11:49   Link #108
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Seen OVA 3!

-> Kanako is really tall. Perhaps taller than Sachiko by a little? Anyway, the first half of the episode is really good and so is that festival thing. It's quite amusing to see Sachiko trying to act all tough in front of others especially with Yumi is around. As Rei said, Yumi became good at manipulating Sachiko
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-04-28, 22:18   Link #109
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Hm... when I first read the part about Kanako it didn't strike me as odd (probably was too excited to get my hands on it at the time). I never noticed how it was odd until I read the posts here. Guess I'm not much of an observant type.

Anyway, images for OVA 4 are updated. You can take a look at them from the anime website. Yumi seems much more senpai like. Good^,^
Old 2007-04-29, 06:08   Link #110
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
Thx for the heads up on the update page. Yoshino has her game face on.

I can't believe there is only one more OVA left after this.
Old 2007-04-29, 06:11   Link #111
Ronja
making the flowers grow;)

Do you think they'll make more OVAs?
Old 2007-04-29, 11:39   Link #112
dxanato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronja View Post
Do you think they'll make more OVAs?
I only saw one sell chart for one the OVA and it was doing very well. If I use this a barometer of public interest than logical step is to continue to produce more. There is still plenty material that can be use. The light novel I think is up to 27 or 28 in volume. The OVA will only cover up to 17th book. There is also growing inernationl interest in the series as increase. The only reason not to continue would be that performance was below their expectation. We will just have to wait and see if they continue doing it.
Old 2007-04-29, 19:12   Link #113
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Shimako wears some funny attire in one of the pics on the official site, what's with the huge hat? I am looking forward to seeing that.

Old 2007-04-29, 19:26   Link #114
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Never mind more OVAs. I want to see another television series.
Old 2007-04-30, 16:52   Link #115
soccer_bre
rawr

Send a message via AIM to soccer_bre Send a message via MSN to soccer_bre
one month from today, the next ova will be released!!! ahhhh im looking forward to it so.
Old 2007-05-01, 00:20   Link #116
farr5792

I think the ending is a bit rush. If I didn't read the novel I might think 'Why is Yumi wearing that panda costume? Where she got it? Kashiwagi?? etc..etc?? '. It also doesn't feel like Yumi been missing for long time. The story about Hanadera Festival is too short. Maybe they suppose make this story in 2 different OVAs; one tells about Kanako and the other one about Hanadera Festival .

Anyway, this OVA is the best among the three.
Old 2007-05-01, 01:25   Link #117
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by farr5792 View Post
If I didn't read the novel I might think 'Why is Yumi wearing that panda costume? Where she got it? Kashiwagi?? etc..etc?? '.
I don't know. I never read the novel for this story and even when I was watching the RAW I understood that much.

Quote:
It also doesn't feel like Yumi been missing for long time.
I think you are right. This may be the reason the second half of the episode fell just a little flat for me. It really didn't seem like she was missing long enough to justify the overly emotional reunion.

Quote:
Anyway, this OVA is the best among the three.
It is good, especially the Kanako half of the story. I think I still like the first OVA episode the best, though.
Old 2007-05-01, 04:50   Link #118
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Maybe they should have added a shot of Sachiko going "Onee-sama senses... tingling!"

(I am, of course, kidding.)
Old 2007-05-02, 04:08   Link #119
Devious

hm... I like the 3rd OVA it was very cute when Sachiko ran to the panda and she even climbed down from the stairs I was really shocked
Old 2007-05-02, 07:52   Link #120
Noriko
白薔薇のファン。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Yep, exactly ! for us who saw her face at the official website opr the persons reading the novels, we obvioulsy noticed her before the 3rd ova, but for those who didn't know her, if they watch the previous ova again now, thy will go : "oh but she was already there!" ^^ The animators made a good job on that ^^
Closed Thread