AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-30, 06:21   Link #721
tsunade666

I liked the episode a lot.

From the badminton match to the sad back story of Wakana. The cheering of Sawa and Konatsu feels to fast, its like they are lacking in frames there. Watching a gif with low frames used. It's not so fluid that it might look nice if they spend more frames on it.

Taichi's luck isn't up to par to win at least top 4 but he is sure lucky that Sawa comes for him and even while at it Sawa played a prank for Konatsu. The interaction of Sawa and Taichi are nice. Mild romantic but the antics of Sawa and Konatsu and Konatasu and Sawa are much better for me. But adding mild romance in a comedy story turning it into romcom is also good.

Now onto the main part of this episode. Since the beginning its been hinted that their is something wrong with Wakana and her club members notice it. They are worried about her but she is not being a help by isolating herself. She is putting to much on her guilt but I understand. The back story of her is indeed sad and the parting of daughter and mother at that particular time is SAD. Wakana being busy with her exam and her mother trying to help her but and all despite her disease. Its such a sad scene when she was being kept blinded of the real status of her mothers health and she even treated her like that at her last few times she spent with her. Its really super effective. The drama of this episode which mix in first with laughs but we ended up in tears in the end.

And it looks like next episode will hit it a lot harder.

I wish Wein can help Wakana. (at least put a use on that guy, his almost non-existent in the series for me but props to him for stopping stalker guy)
Old 2012-07-30, 06:49   Link #722
Markerlight

That's some serious regret Wakana's dealing with there, and getting rid of things that remind of her of her mum isn't going to help. They're really teasing us with Wein's backstory, showing us the smallest possible glimpses. That could be because it plays a major role later on. I'm hoping anyway.

Great episode, although the sudden cut from heavy drama to cheerful ED song was jarring.
Old 2012-07-30, 07:00   Link #723
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Wakana getting rid of the piano reminded me back when I got rid of mine. It took me months to find a buyer for my piano, though.

A nice episode all around.
I still have mine. It's been gathering dust for god knows how many years

As for the episode itself, what else can I say about this episode other than it was pure excellence. The fact that unlike the modern trend of having something amazing straight off the bat and then slowly declining the quality, Tari Tari has remained extremely consistent in its first 4 eps and then delivered somewhat of a drama bombshell this episode and we can be expected that this will continue to develop.

And the best thing? Sure there is some somewhat sad music in the background but notice there is no excessive crying, wangsting emo - i.e. None of that Key/Anohana-like melodrama that tries so hard to make you cry. It was pretty reserved, contained and subtle to an extent. Actually reminded me of A Certain Infamous Writer during the good ol' days, but look at her now! Guess PA doesn't need her anymore .

Anyways, I'm very pleased with these turn of events. Looking forward to next week!
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 07:54   Link #724
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Official site updated today to mention that there will be an album released on September 26 compiling the insert songs sung in the series. (Yes, that includes the True Tears chorus). It'll also have the not-complete ED versions and the Condor Queens's hit Amigo! Amigo!.
Title is Uutari, Kanadetari (Singing and Playing)/歌ったり、奏でたり. The phrase "playing" is "playing music", not what some may pervert it as.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 08:16   Link #725
Qilin
Romanticist

You know, even if Wakana's emotional backstory wasn't anything original or anything particularly fresh, I really couldn't help but sympathize with her. I can hardly imagine the crushing guilt she felt knowing how coldly treated her mother right before her death. I mean, I know that this kind of sob story has been done to death, but something about the episode's execution just worked me.

It probably helped that the drama, despite taking up the bulk of the episode, wasn't overblown or exaggerated, allowing it to come off as more genuinely sad than angsty. But most of all, it has the most to do with the characters being such a likable bunch.

On another note, I might be in the minority here but I'm beginning to grow interested in the vice-principal's character. I'm really looking forward to future episodes exploring her past relationship with Wakana's mother.
Old 2012-07-30, 08:26   Link #726
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
It probably helped that the drama, despite taking up the bulk of the episode, wasn't overblown or exaggerated, allowing it to come off as more genuinely sad than angsty. But most of all, it has the most to do with the characters being such a likable bunch.
Bingo. Too many times anime (and Asian TV Dramas) use overwrought melodrama to try force a reaction out of the audience, rather than trying tell a story about why they should care about the drama in the first place. Instead of actual characters, they become drama props, and either the audience buys it and follows in their emosadness, or completely flies over their head resulting in either groaning or unintentional lulz.

The way they portrayed drama in this ep is akin to how PA did it in True Tears. Sure, the content and theme is different (Tari Tari is a "school life drama", whilst True Tears was "romantic drama") but the style is very similar. Which is why I'm appreciating it helluvalot.

Melodrama does bugger all to me now unless if it's built up, timed and "deserving" - e.g. Clannad After Story ep 18.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 08:57   Link #727
ookamigirl

Wakana with marakas LOL
Guess she just wasn't in the mood to cheer.
Tanaka's badminton match... he should have practiced more.
Since he's sharing a club with them, no wonder he couldn't have.
Flasbacks to earlier days with Wakana's mom were nice, but sad.
Seems like she's being hard on herself because she treated her mom badly & then she lost her for good.
This episode was all about Wakana and it was just sad.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 09:20   Link #728
Vena
Carpe Diem

I have this odd feeling that Wien has played a good bit of badminton despite what he says. I don't think show has ever wasted a moment for important allusions through the backgrounds of its scenes, and there you have Wien, in the background, playing around.

He continues to be the most mysterious (and its clearly being done on purpose now) character of the show. Unlike the others we (a.) didn't see the face of his problem (nor has it been directly touched unlike every other character), (b.) did not see his childhood, (c.) have seen or heard no mention of parents (but a grandparent), (d.) superhero/power rangers symbolism out the wazoo, and (e.) his role is still very vague but, given the show, important as he's the necessary fifth member that would have otherwise crippled the four friends' attempts at succeeding.

I don't know why but he reminds me of the sixth ranger trope.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:27   Link #729
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Anyone notice the songbook teen Vice Principal was holding in the picture?

Good catch. The piece could be that old. Who do you think would scratch out the name, the vice principal or the daughter?

Nice, Yang actually had the red ranger!
Old 2012-07-30, 10:34   Link #730
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Nice, Yang actually had the red ranger!
The writers/animators pay a lot of attention to detail which is a refreshing effort.
Old 2012-07-30, 10:40   Link #731
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Good catch. The piece could be that old. Who do you think would scratch out the name, the vice principal or the daughter?
I'd have to guess at Vice Principal, guess would be she didn't like a a choice Wakana's mother made and scratched the names out of anger most likely.
However I don't think she hated or hates either Wakana or her mother even now.
More than anything she probably wants Wakana to get back into music.
Old 2012-07-30, 11:01   Link #732
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Even though Wakana's attitude towards her mother in the flashbacks irritated me, I still can't help but sympathize with her. It's obvious she loved her mother very much despite the way she treated her, so parting with her forever this way must have made her feel incredibly guilty. Finding out how much her mother loved her through the letter made her feel even more like crap, hence why she's trying to get rid of the things that remind her of her mother. This is not the right solution, though. She's just running away. I hope the rest of the cast can help her realize that. I'd love for Wein to play that role, but I have a feeling it'll probably Konatsu who will snap her out of her depression.

Badminton part was nice. Sawa and Konatsu's dance was pretty cute, but it would have been more enjoyable if they didn't move at superhuman speed (animation fail here). I can't deny something is going on between Sawa and Taichi, but I still think this anime is not romance oriented and that nothing will happen on that front, at least not until the final episode. We'll see. I don't mind either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
And the best thing? Sure there is some somewhat sad music in the background but notice there is no excessive crying, wangsting emo - i.e. None of that Key/Anohana-like melodrama that tries so hard to make you cry. It was pretty reserved, contained and subtle to an extent. Actually reminded me of A Certain Infamous Writer during the good ol' days, but look at her now! Guess PA doesn't need her anymore .
I remember Haak saying part of him wanted this anime to be bad so that people would realize she is necessary... so far, it's exactly the opposite that's happening and it's making me very happy
I don't want to imagine how this would have been if she had written it.
Old 2012-07-30, 11:19   Link #733
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Opposite? Maybe for you guys but I still think HSI is much better. Tari Tari has been good but I don't think it's been exceptional even taking into account this episode. It's definitely not bad though.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 11:32   Link #734
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Opposite? Maybe for you guys but I still think HSI is much better. Tari Tari has been good but I don't think it's been exceptional even taking into account this episode. It's definitely not bad though.
HSI turned into a cluster**** in the middle of its run, and there were some definite lapses in writing quality through the show but it did end very strongly. Though, here we are, comparing a completed show to one in the infancy of its run.
Old 2012-07-30, 12:01   Link #735
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I remember Haak saying part of him wanted this anime to be bad so that people would realize she is necessary... so far, it's exactly the opposite that's happening and it's making me very happy
I don't want to imagine how this would have been if she had written it.
If she had written it...

1. The stalker guy would have caught Wakana, and tied her up to force her to remain still while he tried in vain to reason with her.

2. Wien's rescue attempt of Wakana would have failed, and Wien would have been tied up along with Wakana in a very suggestive pose for both of them.

3. Sawa's horse would have went wildly out of control due to a certain accident. This would result in several minutes of extreme shenanigans, with Sawa hanging on to her horse from underneath its belly, and the horse rampaging through food-stands, maybe the school, etc... It would eventually end with Sawa's horse's nose going right up inside Konatsu's skirt, sending Konatsu flying, and leaving Konatsu blushing wildly and protesting like a tsundere.

4. Wien's book would have a key error, leading him to believe that he had to cross-dress in order to appropriately cheer on Taichi in this episode. So Wien would have showed up wearing a cheerleader's outfit.

Yes, I think I'm glad Tari Tari has the writing it has.
Old 2012-07-30, 12:04   Link #736
Blaat

Quote:
I agree that Tari Tari is just good, but so far it's consistently good which is more than I can say of HSI after five episodes.
Old 2012-07-30, 12:49   Link #737
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
...On another note, I might be in the minority here but I'm beginning to grow interested in the vice-principal's character. I'm really looking forward to future episodes exploring her past relationship with Wakana's mother.
I'm in the same minority, if it is one. The two harshest characters here are she and Wakana, both of whom may have developed their harshness in response to what they saw as Wakana's mother's cheerful irresponsibility. We can see Wakana-mum as a glorious free spirit, but they had to depend on her.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 13:11   Link #738
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I agree that Tari Tari is just good, but so far it's consistently good which is more than I can say of HSI after five episodes.
Yeah no kidding but i honestly don't think the worse episodes of HSI were actually bad so I can't say the consistency impresses me nearly as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Though, here we are, comparing a completed show to one in the infancy of its run.
Which seems to be happening all the time. Really I just wish the near constant HSI and Okada-bashing would stop already. It's clear other people have different opinions and it's kinda pointless to beat a dead horse. It may have been funny the first few hundred times but now it's just ridiculous. It's come to point where I can't even tell if Triple_R was being serious or not in his last post.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 13:36   Link #739
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Yeah no kidding but i honestly don't think the worse episodes of HSI were actually bad
Same with me,so so far Tari Tari wasn't that appealing to me,however for me this episode (by far my favorite) was a big step up and is up there with my favorites of HSI sor Tari Tari is heading in the right direction.

I really liked the way the flashbacks synced with the rest of the episode,it was a nice way to put them in.
Old 2012-07-30, 14:02   Link #740
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Yeah no kidding but i honestly don't think the worse episodes of HSI were actually bad so I can't say the consistency impresses me nearly as much.
The tone and mood in HSI was all over the place within just the first five episodes. Its not the episodes in and of themselves were bad, it was that they were almost disconnected in feel. (And there we definitely some awkwardly forced in comedy skits that stuck out (Ep. 3 and 7 were pretty egregious), rather than comedy that flows naturally from the characters. Also, melodrama. )

Tari Tari has been largely consistent on the mood that the show is presenting. (I think this is on a large part because of how the music is handled, when you're working with an underlying musical theme, you tend to pay careful attention to the mood so as to best match the pieces played. In this way, its hard to lose track of the mood (for audience and writer alike) and you tend to have it actively on the mind of the writers and story boarders.) More, like I've said, the writers in this show are never wasting a moment of detail (lots of foreshadowing and allusions all over, and just general attention to detail) with what their characters do or are shown, so there's a general air of careful attention (so far) behind each episode. Of course just these things don't make a good show great, but they are still there and we have a *just* good, uncompleted show on our hands right now.

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works