Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-01-07, 21:41   Link #35341
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well the reason why they won't attack the US is thanks to Charles Whitman setting an example. Those shooters wpuld have the entire NRA on their head.

In a way, I hate lax gun laws, America's obsession with guns, and how there are so many guns in American homes and on the streets, but...the world is getting crazy, and the prevalence of guns in America might end up being very useful for America sometime in the not too distant future... for example, if jihadist try to do shooting sprees and take hostages, like we've seen in Australia recently or in France today, the fact that there are a lot of Americans who are gun owners could deter at least some of them (or would be terrorists) from committing acts of terror...and actually, even though the police seem really out of hand as of late and the militarization of our police forces on top of that is concerning, maybe that militarization of our police forces could prove to be real useful as well, again further deterring jihadists and would be terrorists, as well as, well, for any of those that commit acts of terror, they've got trained and well equiped police to handle, plus soldiers and a taste of our military might, plus any gun nuts in the vicinity, so...yeah, there is plenty to deter these cowardly scumbags.
Old 2015-01-07, 21:59   Link #35342
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Meanwhile, I hope and am very confident that we will see even more satirical stuff coming soon. If some (and I mean some) Muslims can't take it, half of Europe would be more than happy to send them into deportation.
Sadly, that's probably part of these terrorists' goal. These guys thrive on more conflicts
Old 2015-01-07, 22:12   Link #35343
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Sadly, that's probably part of these terrorists' goal. These guys thrive on more conflicts

Yeah, that is true. God, these jihadists are so cruel, heartless, and evil. They don't care about the death of so many, they do it for their religious beliefs, and because of their religious beliefs, they aren't afraid to die...but every one of them should be afraid to die. For each one of them that has terrorized people and murdered others, or even a single person...they should all be afraid to die. I have news for them, they aren't heading towards paradise and 72 virgins...

It is just so crazy, though...these jihadists are so evil and do acts of pure evil, and they think things will be great for them because of their religious beliefs and their personal convictions...first of all, they are wrong, they won't be fine and their souls are in great jeopardy...but they will be so evil and do such evil things because of their religious beliefs and personal convictions, and...how many of them ever question those things, how many of them think to themselves "Hey, wait a minute, if I'm wrong and being like this and doing acts of terror are very, very wrong...if I'm wrong, might I suffer terribly bad in the afterlife?" It seems like none of these jihadist people ever consider that. It is like it doesn't even cross their minds. How delusional and brainwashed they are. It seems like they always think "Of course we're right" whenever the notion of them possibly being wrong comes up, and then they carry on and proceed to conspire and plot acts of terror, or worse, commit them.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2015-01-07 at 22:23.
Old 2015-01-08, 01:12   Link #35344
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Europeans are both too Islamophobic and too timid to face up to the roots of Islamic fundamentalism.

Really now? You are comparing this to the English Crusades? What about Saladin's one?

Al Qaeda newsflash : Ahmed Merabet, the apostate, has been executed by our holy warriors. His attempt to stop justice being done has been foiled by the bravery of our brothers.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-01-08, 02:13   Link #35345
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
In a way, I hate lax gun laws, America's obsession with guns, and how there are so many guns in American homes and on the streets, but...the world is getting crazy, and the prevalence of guns in America might end up being very useful for America sometime in the not too distant future... for example, if jihadist try to do shooting sprees and take hostages, like we've seen in Australia recently or in France today, the fact that there are a lot of Americans who are gun owners could deter at least some of them (or would be terrorists) from committing acts of terror...and actually, even though the police seem really out of hand as of late and the militarization of our police forces on top of that is concerning, maybe that militarization of our police forces could prove to be real useful as well, again further deterring jihadists and would be terrorists, as well as, well, for any of those that commit acts of terror, they've got trained and well equiped police to handle, plus soldiers and a taste of our military might, plus any gun nuts in the vicinity, so...yeah, there is plenty to deter these cowardly scumbags.

I think you're being awfully naive and shortsighted if you think that would stop (or is stopping) any terrorist. There are better ways to stop such things from happening than relying on whomever has the guns. Because if you're at the stage of relying on the guns to stop them you've failed, and the terrorists probably have a body count.
Old 2015-01-08, 02:36   Link #35346
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Guns have never deterred anyone who is prepared to die. Guns only provide an illusion of safety; if you actually need guns, you are not safe. If you need to carry your gun to feel safe then the only real safe option is to move elsewhere.

And when you feel you need to carry your gun everywhere? Bingo, that's the definition of terrorised.

I feel sad that so many Americans live in the fantasy that they are secretly Hollywood heroes. This isn't any more healthy than Japanese WW2 pilots thinking it makes a difference to crash their planes as living missiles. The problem is real, the enemy is delusional; let's not become delusional ourselves.
Old 2015-01-08, 02:54   Link #35347
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Haha, oh man, yeah those scumbags surprise attacked some police in Paris, but if some jihadist gunmen were messing with the NYPD, surely the NYPD would fuck them up. Would probably end up with the gunmen being shot to death the day of the incident and not them scrambling away like what happened in France.
I wonder about that. 10 minutes, in and out. With AK-47s. Would the NYPD have had enough time to get a proper response there? Anywhere in NY?
Old 2015-01-08, 03:45   Link #35348
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post
According to news channels, one of these SOB lost his ID Card, which led to a big police op in the town of Reims.

Edit: all terros have been identified, whereabouts still unknown for now.
I have no reason to consider the French police incompetent (they are not!), but somehow this "forgotten ID" smacks me as a bit convenient. I hope that the perpetrators didn't simply nab and kill a fall guy that would fit the profile, and then purposely dropped his ID in the car to set a wrong dead end trail.

Based on what I read, the execution of the murder was very professional, and unless I missed something, the listed suspect did NOT have an obvious opportunity to train them. That's what's making me a bit skeptical. Along with the "forgotten ID", which doesn't seem very professional either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I wonder about that. 10 minutes, in and out. With AK-47s. Would the NYPD have had enough time to get a proper response there? Anywhere in NY?
They are not. Case in point: There is enough gang violence which leads to homicides like this terrorist attack. They never get prevented and often enough not resolved at all.

Easy availability of firearms doesn't reduce homicides, especially not from people willing to die. Just like you said.
Old 2015-01-08, 04:23   Link #35349
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Executed-paris-police-officer-was-Muslim

I didn't see this particular aspect of the incident mentioned in this forum. It certainly puts an interesting twist on things.

It just goes to show that radicalized Islam is as much of a threat to moderate Muslims like me as it is to non-Muslims. Though all you had to do is look at that ISIL shit to reach that conclusion; what with ISIL members deciding who is Muslim or not by themselves.
Old 2015-01-08, 06:09   Link #35350
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Executed-paris-police-officer-was-Muslim

I didn't see this particular aspect of the incident mentioned in this forum. It certainly puts an interesting twist on things.

It just goes to show that radicalized Islam is as much of a threat to moderate Muslims like me as it is to non-Muslims. Though all you had to do is look at that ISIL shit to reach that conclusion; what with ISIL members deciding who is Muslim or not by themselves.
He is an apostate for joining the French police and resisting holy warriors. [/extremistlogic]

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-01-08, 06:30   Link #35351
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

It seems two of the three terrorists have been localized.

Last edited by Der Langrisser; 2015-01-08 at 09:15.
Old 2015-01-08, 06:37   Link #35352
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

... Why the heck am I remember Jean-Paul Sartre in this moment?
Guess that even he'd be disgusted by this.
Old 2015-01-08, 08:25   Link #35353
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Europeans are both too Islamophobic and too timid to face up to the roots of Islamic fundamentalism.

Really now? You are comparing this to the English Crusades? What about Saladin's one?
Nothing like a know-it-all schmuck like Yascha Mounk to preach on it. He's been written a book on how hard it is for him as an enlightened Jew to live in boorish-hostile Germany. Poor guy.

What I consider highly encouraging is that _this time_, there are considerable efforts of muslim speakers to make clear that they condemn this kind of madness. I find this highly respectable (I wrote a few days ago that I am really annoyed about the LACK of these statements - this is exactly what I was hoping for).

Yes, mindless slaughter only helps the extremists on both sides. Let's show that the open, free community can counter this with reason.
Old 2015-01-08, 09:17   Link #35354
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Raid and GIGN are deployed near the town of Villers-Cotterêts.
Old 2015-01-08, 09:42   Link #35355
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Artists defiant after Paris killings but fear censorship on Islam
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0KG2D820150107

World’s cartoonists respond to the attack on ‘Charlie Hebdo’
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...charlie-hebdo/
Old 2015-01-08, 09:44   Link #35356
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
The armée de terre's being brought in to help secure public places.

Got news that the dead officers will have burials with full honors. Not sure if there's something specific for them.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2015-01-08, 11:26   Link #35357
LoveYouSaber

Quote:
I agree with the stance of what Vallen said, a gun isn't going to deter terrorists. And besides, I'm honestly not sure that an untrained citizen is a sharpshooter. What happens if terrorists open fire on the streets? You won't want the average citizen to pull out his/her gun and take aim, it'll more likely hit other people than the terrorists.
Old 2015-01-08, 12:07   Link #35358
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

@Mr Hat and Clogs @Vallen @LoveYouSaber Well, I can be convinced of your points and arguments...like I indicated in that post, I hate lax gun laws and the prevalence of guns in America. I hate America's obsession with guns. I don't think a wide availability of guns in America makes it safer, like some gun nuts want to believe, I believe it has led to so many deaths that should have never been. I was just (with a bit of amusement) postulating that maybe things like the prevalence of guns and gun owners and militarized police forces might actually prove useful, perhaps in the way of deterring some militant Muslims. But it was just some postulation. I mean, you guys are probably right, those things probably won't do much to deter terrorists if they really wanted to commit acts of terror.
Old 2015-01-08, 16:40   Link #35359
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
What happens if terrorists open fire on the streets? You won't want the average citizen to pull out his/her gun and take aim, it'll more likely hit other people than the terrorists.
Considering the accuracy of the police, who are presumably well-trained in this sort of thing, definitely not.

In 2012, police shot at a suspect near the Empire State Building in New York. Sixteen bullets were fired of which ten entered the suspect's body. In the process nine bystanders were hit, none seriously, by stray bullets and bullet fragments.

As it turns out, this performance was far above the norm for the NYPD. The Times reports that:
Quote:
It turns out that the officers' "hit ratio" on Friday was almost twice as good as the department's average. According to a 2008 analysis of NYPD firearms discharge data done by the New York Times, between 1996-2006 officers hit their intended target about 34 percent of the time.
How accurate do you expect a bunch of wannabe Rambos will be?
Old 2015-01-08, 20:04   Link #35360
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That number is actually kinda terrifying. Should get the to practice on those arcade duck target range things which move rather than the static bits of paper.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international