AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2010-01-12, 00:42   Link #561
Neovoid

Anything that EWII VC differs from WWII is the weapons. Would Modern VC have original weapons (like Mags SMGs or Panzer Lances) or is it going to go "Ace Combat" style where you have Real World weapons but it takes place in an alternative Modern Earth?

Also, I'm sure people have noticed that in a lot of video games, weapons like look and function like real world weapons like the HK MP5 or AK-47 for example have been given alternative names or genereric names like "Submachine Gun". Why? It has to due with copyright and potential lawsuits. There are many Trademark brands like Heckler and Koch, GLOCK, Beretta, etc. See AKA47 for more information.

Last edited by Neovoid; 2010-01-12 at 01:14.
Neovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 01:45   Link #562
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I just hope the mods will allow us to create a new thread to discuss about what VC would look like with modern day weapons, so we can all pour in different ideas.

For the sake of not going off-topic, please be patient and hold the posting as I'm almost done with the next drawing. I don't want people to scroll down too many pages to see VC fanarts, pictures, etc.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2010-01-12 at 03:12.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 03:29   Link #563
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neovoid View Post
Anything that EWII VC differs from WWII is the weapons. Would Modern VC have original weapons (like Mags SMGs or Panzer Lances) or is it going to go "Ace Combat" style where you have Real World weapons but it takes place in an alternative Modern Earth?
A fair question; while considering this, we should keep in mind that the VC world probably does have a variety of arms manufacturers; it's just that the games weren't in a position to really give this any real 'face time'.

Quote:
Also, I'm sure people have noticed that in a lot of video games, weapons like look and function like real world weapons like the HK MP5 or AK-47 for example have been given alternative names or genereric names like "Submachine Gun". Why? It has to due with copyright and potential lawsuits.
And this almost always comes across as sounding silly at best, not to mention an insult to the readers'/viewers' intelligence, whenever it crops up. It is especially noisome in games with a firm real-world grounding...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 14:56   Link #564
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Alright, let's get back to business!

I went on with my ideas on Welkin and Isara this time. I tried to have Isara with a tanker's helmet, but the result went wrong and I preferred to forget about it while I kept the Darcsen shawl (she wouldn't be Isara without the trademark shawl). About Welkin... I must say the design for General Shepherd (from MW2) gave me te tip for what an officer would look like in non-combat days. By the looks of it, Welkin's practicing at the shooting range or showing a Pull the trigger 101 demonstration to new recruits.

Note that I chose to use Gallian designs for the lieutenant badge (which was easy to identify compared to soldiers below the rank of lieutenant) and to add the "Gallian Army" velcro backed tape on the left chest (I just added the same for Alicia too) on this one. In normal time, the militia/national guard should be distinguished from the regular army only by the unit patch on the arm, so that's why I felt wrong not to add the army tag on the uniform.

I concede this one is quite lame compared to the others, probably because there was no extra equipment on them this time and because "normal" uniforms only look better with camouflage pattern. The colors will come after I finish the sketch with Largo (which I feel to be very dificult ahead).

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2010-01-29 at 04:11.
Old 2010-01-14, 15:08   Link #565
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I really like that one, Kira.

I love how you've used the same poses as the PR artwork. But Welkin's boots need a little work but I still think he'd benefit with some combat webbing. What about his map case or binoculars?

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 15:10   Link #566
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
File... Save As...

Nice. You are right about Isara. The shawl stays (that, and Alicia kept the headscarf, and Edy, the ribbons, so why not?).
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 15:12   Link #567
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
I really like that one, Kira.

I love how you've used the same poses as the PR artwork. But Welkin's boots need a little work but I still think he'd benefit with some combat webbing. What about his map case or binoculars?
I was thinking about that, but I decided he won't need them for now on the base, far away from combat zones. That's how I decided to portray him this time.
Old 2010-01-14, 21:44   Link #568
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Are you drawing these on a tablet? I still draw free hand pen and paper.

Old 2010-01-14, 22:28   Link #569
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Are you drawing these on a tablet? I still draw free hand pen and paper.
In fact, I am drawing free hand, pen and paper. I don't have the time nor space to afford such furniture.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2010-01-15 at 00:14.
Old 2010-01-14, 23:40   Link #570
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

:O your lines are really straight >.> particularly the guns

and i second your choice of helmetless

on a side note, i'm rather bothered by how pre-mw2 most of people haven't heard of a ump despite it replacing the mp5 years ago...then again im bothered by mw2... whats the purpose in mounting a scope on a weapon whose effective range is only ~100m and is not even calibrated for that kind of ammunition!

bleh, but that has nothing to do with VC,

dropleg holster! +

why's welkin get a beret and not a volks cap xD
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 00:30   Link #571
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Since I've watched The Matrix Reloaded and the last 2 James Bond movies, I had a particular interest towards the UMP (it's also among my favorites in MW2). The scope... well, I felt it very useful as an accuracy extra for mid-range shots (maximum range being 700-800m).

For the beret, I just like it probably because I see it often with Canadian, American and most European armies.
Old 2010-01-15, 07:00   Link #572
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

oh don't worry, that was just a little pet peeve-least of my concern and is with other ppl

i know very little about uniforms actually, but i do remember seeing berets used almost everywhere, eh w/e looks good and thats all that matters

Quote:
Actually I was thinking of a PSG-1 because half the snipers of VC fame are weedy little bastards and wouldn't have the upper body strength to wield such a heavy weapon. ;D

And because I'm sick of anti-material rifles being used as sniper rifles in video games like it's the "in thing".
YES, enough with the compensation spam! It's fine when theres only one or two used against special targets, but when its standard issue it gets a bit wonky
However, here's my solution to it being to heavy:

Spoiler for size:

i tihnk it'll look great for those with small frames

but what if it was set up like an mg? doesn't look too bad, (with the exception of this because the artist decided to exaggerate like crazy )

Last edited by SoggySoyBean; 2010-01-15 at 17:25.
Old 2010-01-20, 06:45   Link #573
incognito253

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post

Spoiler for size:

i tihnk it'll look great for those with small frames

but what if it was set up like an mg? doesn't look too bad, (with the exception of this because the artist decided to exaggerate like crazy )
The Barrett A2 I would say is more "appropriate" for the small frames, because I just can't comphrehend the words look and great side by side when you're talking about such a bugly-pragmatic piece of military hardware.

As for the link image, that really isn't that big of a stretch; for example, view this article:

Type 97

59 kilograms and 2.06 meters long. The piece depicted in that image is a bit long for even an anti-tank rifle, it looks to be about 2.5 meters, but still not that significantly exaggerated compared to many of the anti tank rifles of today.

What -I- want to know is how the heck that girl got that thing up to a rooftop. I don't see her anti-gravity suit.
incognito253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 19:05   Link #574
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito253 View Post
The Barrett A2 I would say is more "appropriate" for the small frames, because I just can't comphrehend the words look and great side by side when you're talking about such a bugly-pragmatic piece of military hardware.
how many over-the-shoulder systems do you know of, fire bullets? and this doesn't count

but "appropriate" would be the better word to use xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito253 View Post
As for the link image, that really isn't that big of a stretch...What -I- want to know is how the heck that girl got that thing up to a rooftop. I don't see her anti-gravity suit.
it's not a stretch, the rifle is stretched it's not that long

well, fire escape and some help, maybe a heli-drop. or the elevator...lol
its only around 30 lbs... thats what slings and the carrying handle are for
Old 2010-01-20, 19:18   Link #575
incognito253

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
its only around 30 lbs... thats what slings and the carrying handle are for
She's like....12.

OK, maybe 16. But still, it's stretched to a casual 8-9 feet in length..lol. Maybe she got a horse and disguised it as a lance...
incognito253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 05:18   Link #576
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Now comes Largo!

Not quite a lance per se, but you won't find such in real world anyway. I must admit I had plenty of choices for his rocket launcher such as the Carl Gustav, the AT-4, the RPG-7, the good old Stinger missile, or the SMAW launcher. I guess I would have picked one of them if it was for someone else (smaller and lighter). BUT since it's Largo we're talking about, I gave the heaviest, the meanest, and the smartest rocket launcher on the market to the big man... FGM-148 Javelin.

It wasn't easy to do this one since there was nothing existing of a pose with Largo wielding something similar, but I'm quite happy with the result. For now, I'll try to focus on coloring everything but also hope I'll get my hands on scans from the 400-page artbook someday. I'll need its sketches as I currently have something in mind about Juno, Lynn and (especialy) Jane.
Old 2010-02-02, 05:39   Link #577
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

It looks good don't get me wrong but I just don't see Gallia in a modern day with really high tech kit. Especially the militia, you might see regular or special forces soldiers with current generation equipment and weapons but the militia would be limited to whatever they can get; meaning Army rejects.

With my current wip of Alicia, she's wearing a current issue MOLLE CIRAS plate carrier rig with extra shoulder protection and off leg platform but all of her weapons and equipment otherwise is previous generation.

It's just my opinion on the matter. A Javelin does seem fitting of Largo but I'd rather see him with a big old clunky Carl Gustav or shit, a really old M40 recoilless rifle...

Old 2010-02-02, 05:51   Link #578
DC20

I don't see the Militia using old equipment myself, but that could just be me. I would liken them more to either the reserves or the national guard - they may not be the full time Army, but they've still got up to date equipment - they had modern weaponry in 1935, why not in modern times?

Nice work with Largo. His smile is definitely the kicker XD
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 06:22   Link #579
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC20 View Post
I don't see the Militia using old equipment myself, but that could just be me. I would liken them more to either the reserves or the national guard - they may not be the full time Army, but they've still got up to date equipment - they had modern weaponry in 1935, why not in modern times?
Gallia is like Finland with a system of universal conscription. But which nation do you akin Gallia to by today's standards? It's not a super power with it's only real income coming from ragnite mining.

I just can't see a nation that can call forth massive reserves of men and women being able to give every soldier - let alone a militia member - current generation assault weapons. Even if they did possess those sorts of weapons they'd most likely be given to special forces or limited use in the larger concentrations of troops.

Gallian militiamen with top of the line SCARs and HK416s just doesn't seem correct to me. An aging but reliable weapons system like the G3 or SiG 540 series just seems to suit the Gallian militia in my books.

Old 2010-02-02, 08:23   Link #580
Neovoid

I thought the militia was suppose to be the equivalent to the "National Guard." And yes the National Guard don't always get the best weapons and equipment, some of them are still using the M16A2s while some of the regular Army (Airborne for example) gets M4 Carbines. And you also have Nation Guard Units (at least in the US) deploying overseas every year and some of their tour of duty are longer

Well at least the Gallia Government was nice enough to issue every scout a semi-automatic battle rifle. WWII Germany was still issuing the Kar 98K out as their main battle rifle while the Gweher 43 was limited to a marksman/sniper rifle.
Neovoid is offline   Reply With Quote