Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-02-25, 02:14   Link #841
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbase
How does it deal with the problems (i.e. thoughtful/philosophical ways, action-orientated, episodic resolution or some combination of these and methods I'm forgetting)?
Mushishi is very typical of the wabi-sabi aesthetic - an acceptance of the transient nature of life. Ginko, the protagonist, doesn't "wage war" on the mushi, because he feels that they are an integral part of nature. The mushi are often harmful to humans, but through no fault of their own. In contrast, other mushishi take a less charitable view. In this sense, the anime gives the viewer a nice insight on how the Japanese feel about their relationship to nature - it's a constant dichotomy between control or coexistence.

Furthermore, Ginko is an atypical "hero". He has his own flaws and foibles, and he is not above being manipulative and opportunistic, if the occasion presents itself. That makes him an interesting subject for character study.

But of course, your mileage may vary. Personally, I disliked Noein, and I didn't manage to last more than four episodes through that show. Mushishi, on the other hand, hooked me from the very the first episode and it continued to fascinate me all the way to the end.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 02:21   Link #842
Moonbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Mushishi is very typical of the wabi-sabi aesthetic - an acceptance of the transient nature of life. Ginko, the protagonist, doesn't "wage war" on the mushi, because he feels that they are an integral part of nature. The mushi are often harmful to humans, but through no fault of their own. In contrast, other mushishi take a less charitable view. In this sense, the anime gives the viewer a nice insight on how the Japanese feel about their relationship to nature - it's a constant dichotomy between control or coexistence.

Furthermore, Ginko is an atypical "hero". He has his own flaws and foibles, and he is not above being manipulative and opportunistic, if the occasion presents itself. That makes him an interesting subject for character study.

But of course, your mileage may vary. Personally, I disliked Noein, and I didn't manage to last more than four episodes through that show. Mushishi, on the other hand, hooked me from the very the first episode and it continued to fascinate me all the way to the end.

Thanks for the term, I didn't know that was the general name for a large amount of anime I enjoy watching. Sorry to hear about your experience with Noein (it seemed different to me from the get go and I'm glad I watched it to the end) but this discription of Mushishi makes it sound like something I'll enjoy. Thanks.

Last edited by Moonbase; 2008-02-25 at 17:42.
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 03:33   Link #843
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbase View Post
How does it deal with the problems (i.e. thoughtful/philosophical ways, action-orientated, episodic resolution or some combination of these and methods I'm forgetting)?
First of all, if you're expecting any action in the form of Law of Ueki, Busou Renkin, or really, any fighting in general, you'll be disappointed. It'll be like expecting the same things from Naruto when you're watching Air. Don't set your expectations like that and you'll be fine.

Problems might be dealt with, unsolved or remain there. Each episode is its own story with a different cast of characters and a new theme. Really, one of the charms of Mushishi was the unknown resolution of said story. And considering some themes explored and if you can identify it/them, you'll notice how today we're still asking those same moral questions. So really, form your own opinion if you haven't already of the issues we haven't found an absolute answer to.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 13:22   Link #844
Moonbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post
First of all, if you're expecting any action in the form of Law of Ueki, Busou Renkin, or really, any fighting in general, you'll be disappointed. It'll be like expecting the same things from Naruto when you're watching Air. Don't set your expectations like that and you'll be fine.

Problems might be dealt with, unsolved or remain there. Each episode is its own story with a different cast of characters and a new theme. Really, one of the charms of Mushishi was the unknown resolution of said story. And considering some themes explored and if you can identify it/them, you'll notice how today we're still asking those same moral questions. So really, form your own opinion if you haven't already of the issues we haven't found an absolute answer to.
I wasn't expecting anything, really. I only included those examples because those are the methods most usually employed in anime resolutions. I actually prefer non-action orientated means of plot movement/character development. Thanks for the episodic resolution bit of information, I tend to like those, too, as they are sometimes more interesting to watch than story arcs that last for several episodes.
Old 2008-02-25, 14:21   Link #845
ginko51

Quote:
I wasn't expecting anything, really. I only included those examples because those are the methods most usually employed in anime resolutions. I actually prefer non-action orientated means of plot movement/character development. Thanks for the episodic resolution bit of information, I tend to like those, too, as they are sometimes more interesting to watch than story arcs that last for several episodes.
Whatever you do at least watch the first three episodes. The first episode didn't hook me right away (did leave me curious though) and looking back it is really different in terms of pace from every other episode in my opinion. This is coming from someone who eventually found it to be his favorite series so your first reaction to the anime might be a little indifferent in a way too.
ginko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 16:30   Link #846
Z3120

Quote:
I wasn't expecting anything, really.
Ahh, no worries. I remembered a bad memory when this Naruto fan was crying for action when he was watching Air TV. I wasn't exactly willing to listening considering he also had a Naruto avatar but that was long ago. My bad if I sounded angry. Didn't mean to
Old 2008-02-25, 19:22   Link #847
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Even though there is not really a continuing plot I find the first episode particularly important to watch first because it gives you in a sense a summary of what Mushi are.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 22:00   Link #848
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Minor suggestion: If you ever plan to finish watching the entire series, I think it's best to save episode 20 for the last.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 02:35   Link #849
Moonbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
Minor suggestion: If you ever plan to finish watching the entire series, I think it's best to save episode 20 for the last.
Er, why's that?
Old 2008-02-26, 02:37   Link #850
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It has a happier ending.

Personally, while I found that episode beautiful, it wasn't as special to me as it was for many viewers. So, I won't guarantee that you'd find it special either. Anyway, just watch the show. You'll soon know if it fits what you're looking for.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 02:43   Link #851
Moonbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It has a happier ending.

Personally, while I found that episode beautiful, it wasn't as special to me as it was for many viewers. So, I won't guarantee that you'd find it special either.
Oh, alright. I thought there was some sort of time-skip arc randomly placed at the end... which I'd think would be an odd move on their part.
Old 2008-02-26, 04:32   Link #852
Z3120

Any episode is a perfect ending depending what you're looking for.

I thought the finale was fine
Old 2008-02-26, 21:51   Link #853
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

There is not one episode of this series that I don't like. If I had to pick which episodes would fit best for a finale I would say episodes 15, 20, and 25.
Old 2008-02-27, 18:44   Link #854
blewin

the author uses the interaction between Mushi and people to explore the gems of life. This is executed wonderfully through what is "unsaid" behind the facade of the human face, and that makes the anime realistic, but realistic in a beautiful and melancholy sense that keeps you entranced. Moreover, the music is emotionally evocative and perfectly complements the atmosphere of each episode (different music for different episode). I'd describe the music as mysterious and curious, as of a person searching for something and making a quiet discovery of great importance.
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 01:16   Link #855
Z3120

I know asking this question would have varying answers, but if you were to rearrange the order of what episodes you were going to show your friend which you thought were some obvious themes your friend would pick up, which first few would you show him to get him interested?

It was amusing experience to see my friend take such an interest in Mushishi compared to when I showed him episode 1 the very first time. I managed to grab his interest much more when I showed him something like 7, 9 and 12 I thought he automatically come to understand. I really want to show him a few more but I'm wondering if I should withhold from anything past 12 to 16 for some reason unknown to me.

Just curious who else might have done something similar.

I think people have but I'm too lazy it seems to bother with a search.
Old 2008-03-01, 01:22   Link #856
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I showed my friend episode 1 first because I feel its a good starting point. Then I showed him episodes 2, 4, and 15 as to show the variety of themes and styles of each episode.

He became immediatly addicted to the show.
Old 2008-03-01, 07:33   Link #857
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post
I know asking this question would have varying answers, but if you were to rearrange the order of what episodes you were going to show your friend which you thought were some obvious themes your friend would pick up, which first few would you show him to get him interested?
I'd just stick with the anime's direction. That or go the way of the manga path --- actually that does seem quite interesting.

I might try that.
Old 2008-03-01, 11:14   Link #858
ginko51

I definitely think everyone should watch the episodes in their correct (the TV series) order.

That being said I find the first few episodes different than the rest of the series. Don't really know why...

If I were to recommend a first episode it wouldn't be the first one because in my opinion is not very indicative of what you are to see in the rest of the series.
ginko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 11:54   Link #859
Kirarakim

For some reason I don't really like the first episode (although it looks gorgeous, but that is true for most Mushishi episodes) so I am not sure if I would recommend that episode to start (especially if you are trying to convince someone who is difficult). I think episode 2 is a better starting point.

Mushishi is so episodic that I am not sure that it matters what episode you start with. Just don't start with 12 or 20. I think those should be saved for later.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 15:30   Link #860
Cal-Reflector

Bad News

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/lsdrug/diary/200804270000/
http://ameblo.jp/heatwing/entry-10091845828.html#cbox

Apparently, the latest volume of Afternoon Monthly has announced that Mushishi, the manga, will end serialization soon, and that Volume 10 will likely be the final tankoubon.

Why?

Are sales off? Is merchandise and DVD sales unsatisfactory? Have the Union of Harem, Fanservice, and Graphic Violence Mangakas banded together to prosecute Urushibara, because their work seems wanton and uninspired in comparison to Urushibara's? Has the Culture Minister, as he sat his office reading To Love, thought, "Gods forbid that Japan produces more works like Mushishi rather than the usual eyecandy and boys bouncing into breasts."

Why?

Hopefully more information will be forthcoming soon, but unless the reason is the Author has cancer or has to go take care of a family member who has cancer... There Will be Blood, and Tears.

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural