AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-04, 18:06   Link #1
ginko51

Lifting the spirits

Okay I'm looking for an anime with really good comedy and something that lifts the spirits.

Last edited by ginko51; 2012-05-03 at 17:44.
Old 2009-06-04, 20:15   Link #2
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
whats are some series you have liked in the past?
Old 2009-06-04, 20:26   Link #3
Shadow Kira01

It sounds so much like..

You are looking for a comedy, yet you don't want any..

Seinen animes are really comedic, you know..

Have you watched Gintama? However, its not a seinen anime, more the shounen type, kind of like Naruto or Bleach sort of thing but much better, I guess.. I haven't watched it yet.

Other suggestions include:

Antique Bakery: This one is something you are looking for, features an older cast and is a romantic comedy. However, I am not sure if you will like it or not as that it is BL.

Higepiyo: The episodes are short and the main character is a really strange looking baby chicken that has a beard and is voiced by Romi Paku. Not sure if you will like it or not as that it might not lift your spirits and do the exact opposite. Nontheless, it is listed as a comedy..

Yakitate!! Japan: I haven't seen this one yet either but it seems to have very high ratings..
Old 2009-06-04, 21:37   Link #4
Troilism

Try Kamichu!

It's got the "cute" schoolgirl thing going on but it's done really really well. I would definitively check it out. It's comedy/slice of life leaning more to the slice of life side but IMO it really lifts the spirits.

You might actually want to give full metal panic fumoffu. I never thought I would like it but it was quite enjoyable with some sweet moments.

Trying to find something more "mature" would be a little difficult since it would probably involve more than just comedy.

I would recommend you Honey and Clover. Absolutely hilarious sometimes and it has really really great characters but there is drama and its really something you would appreciate more if you're in university or have gone through that.
Old 2009-06-04, 21:38   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about Nodame Cantabile? That has humor but there's much more to it than that. It's also rather inspiring at times.

A couple of off-beat comedies are Moyashimon, about a college freshman who can see microbes, and Oh! Edo Rocket, a strange romance set in 1840's Edo. That was recently licensed by Funi, though, so it might not be available for a while.

Chi's very cute and funny, and each episode lasts only a couple of minutes. I think it's funnier than Higepiyo, which I also like, but that might be because I own a cat. There's also another short episode comedy series, Charady's Daily Joke, which is clearly targeted at adults since it's humor is a bit off-color. Some of the jokes hit their marks.

Kure-nai is a very serious show at base, but the script is often very witty. There's a lot of excellent ensemble acting in the comedic parts.
Old 2009-06-04, 22:51   Link #6
james0246

I'll second Kamichu (episode 5 or so of this series is one of my all time favourite nostalgia moments - specifically, the episode is about the very nature of nostalgia...) and Oh! Edo Rocket. Both are warm and pleasant stories.

I am going to go out on a limb and offer up 2 Satoshi Kon films: Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers. Tokyo Godfathers is immediately obvious, but you have to see Millennium Actress to its conclusion before the uplifting nature of the film becomes evident.

Additionally, while it might be a bit juvenile, Hajime no Ippo can be particularly uplifting at times...
Old 2009-06-04, 22:58   Link #7
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Have you seen the currently airing Sengoku Basara? That show never fails to entertain me -- I love its sense of humor, though some may argue that the humor is just attached to its main genre of action. But nevertheless, it lifts my spirits. XD

And if you're not opposed to yaoi, give Junjou Romantica a whirl -- nothing more uplifting than watching true love succeed.
Old 2009-06-05, 07:51   Link #8
ginko51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
It sounds so much like..

You are looking for a comedy, yet you don't want any..
I get quite frustrated with the lack of variety in anime sometimes. Finding a realistic looking anime with an adult cast and that feels like a comedy movie only in anime form....it's near impossible.

Last edited by ginko51; 2012-05-03 at 17:45.
Old 2009-06-05, 10:37   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Oh! Edo Rocket seconded. Mahoraba might fit your bill, too.
Old 2009-06-05, 13:19   Link #10
Troilism

Oh god moyashimon! HILARIOUS show. Seriously one of the better comedies. I definitively recommend it.
Old 2009-06-05, 18:01   Link #11
LeoXiao
思想工作

It has high school characters and isn't exactly the prototypical definition of "spirit-lifting," but I'd definitely recommend Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu as being really hilarious. It helps if you like guns, too.
Old 2009-06-06, 02:57   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
If you liked Honey and Clover, but wanted older looking characters, perhaps you should try Maison Ikkoku.

You'll have to give it at least till the 2nd season to see how good it becomes though.
Old 2009-06-06, 03:51   Link #13
Killifish

Try Genshiken, although the anime truly pales in comparison to the manga. It's a seinen about a group of otakus who do little more than watch harem anime and play H-games. Despite that, it's extremely uplifting in that you get to see these pitiful (yet awesome) examples of humanity become functional members of society.
Old 2009-06-07, 07:35   Link #14
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

I'd suggest Ah My Goddess (pretty much any incarnation), although the movie is more serious and the mini-goddess series is just goofy (super-deformed cast and all). The cast is generally college aged with the exception of the goddesses who obviously aren't, but only Skuld would be considered a child.

If you liked Great Teacher Onizuka, try Gokusen. My only complaint was that the anime was too short.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is populated with high school students and settings, I know. The snarky comments of the main lead are quite funny and the series plays on many of the tropes of the sci-fi genre and anime in general.
Closed Thread