Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-11, 16:08   Link #16461
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Yet they're living in London, Britain which is historically, economically, and militarily linked to the United States?
They also hate Britain. I know that doesn't make any sense but there you go.
Old 2011-09-11, 16:26   Link #16462
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Yet they're living in London, Britain which is historically, economically, and militarily linked to the United States?
Not a lot of point in living in a free country if you're not going to exercise your freedoms, is there?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2011-09-11 at 18:11.
Old 2011-09-11, 16:51   Link #16463
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've witnessed a legal flag burning a few times. Basically in respect for an old retired flag done by the Boy Scouts of America.
Old 2011-09-11, 17:08   Link #16464
sneaker

Quote:
Only anime I've watched in the past two years have been through Crunchyroll and Netflix. And that's not saying much; I've only seen 2-3 series in that time span (there's a reason I feel more at home in general chat than the other sections... )

Well, I did stream DBKai 'illegally,' but I DO own every VHS of Dragonball Z from the 90's so it doesn't count as much.
So you only pirated 1/3 to 1/2 of the anime you watched?

====
for something else:

So after pooring in money for Greece (which is still on the verge of bankruptcy) and both foreign and local banks, German government is calculating whether the retirement age should be increased to 69, after Tax cuts and large and long planned infrastructure investments have already been put on hold. Plus an Autobahn toll for cars has become a topic yet again. Not to mention ECB still taking in Greece papers from banks under its French president Trichet, against all rules made during the Euro founding, because northern representatives simply get overruled.
Old 2011-09-11, 17:12   Link #16465
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

To anyone interested in this news: The zietgeist movement is doing a media festival worldwide today, the main event is going on at this moment in the Hollywood and it is being streamed live over the internet. Many artists and comedians are due to show up. Here is the info:

http://www.stickam.com/zeitgeistmediafestival

Spoiler:
Old 2011-09-11, 17:17   Link #16466
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
So, how do you guys watch anime? Wait till it's available in the U.S., crunchyroll or what? I mean animesuki.com is a warez site after all.
I don't really watch much anime anymore, to be honest. Most of the new series just don't interest me. Almost everything I download is Android ROMs, Linux ISOs, various bits and pieces of open-source software... and Touhou remixes.
Old 2011-09-11, 18:03   Link #16467
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not a lot of point in living in a free country if you're not going to exercise your freedoms, isn't there?
Hey they can burn the flag legally for all I care. I just question the hypocrisy of it when one lives there.
Old 2011-09-11, 18:25   Link #16468
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Hey they can burn the flag legally for all I care. I just question the hypocrisy of it when one lives there.
As long as they bought the flag, they can burn any flag they like from my perspective.
Old 2011-09-11, 18:26   Link #16469
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Britain is not America. Many british people disagree intensely with US policies. Look at what happened over the Iraq War. Not popular.
Old 2011-09-11, 18:51   Link #16470
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I know there's a lot of sentiment and hopes that were tied to Serena Williams at the US Open this year due to the 10-year memorial of 9/11, but for the love of...what a super bitch! The way she carried on during that final was a disgrace. Threatening the umpire, refusing to shake the umpire's hand, her family refusing to acknowledge the winner. What a disgrace.

Sam Stosur - what a great performance. First Aussie women's Grand Slam winner since 1980 and first Aussie to win a Grand Slam in about a decade. You did us Aussies proud. Been a long journey for you but you finally did it. Well done!

Yes, the timing was a factor. Serena got outplayed but she took it with no dignity or class. Not the first time, but this was just not on. You'd think someone who was won as many Grand Slams as she has could accept other people beating her. I lost any respect I ever had for her today. The least you could have done was accept the fact you were outplayed on the day and not be so disrespectful.

Serena Williams - Harden the fark up.
Old 2011-09-11, 21:31   Link #16471
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

This Zeitgiest media festival is great! Some technical problems and lots of improvisation but the comedy and musicians are very talented. The bands seem to be composed mostly of experimental music and the comedy and commentaries are about politics, society and science.

Oh yeah and if you don't like to hear a lot of "bad" words then I suggest you stay away from it.

PS. This reminds me of some kind of hippie festival lol
Old 2011-09-11, 22:08   Link #16472
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iraq cleric to followers: Stop attacking US troops
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-11-21-11-40
In short he say than if they stop killing GI's , they will leave Irak faster.
Old 2011-09-11, 22:20   Link #16473
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would say they finally found a cleric with a brain. The quickest way to get the Americans to leave is for them to not have a reason to stay. Since the American goal is a safe Iraq...blowing stuff up and killing people are the wrong things to do, since that makes Iraq not safe in the Americans eyes...thus they need troops to make it safe.

Do nothing, and the Americans will leave. Assuming they don't feel they need the troops there to counter Iran (see American troops in Japan).
Old 2011-09-11, 22:28   Link #16474
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The cleric in question is Moqtada al-Sadr, he's been around for quite a while.

He's generally done pretty well for himself and his faction in the years since the Iraq war. You'll recall that his Mahdi Army had control over Basra until the battle of Basra in 2008. The Mahdis were pushed out there, but it wasn't a conclusive battle.

He's an interesting, if somewhat mercurial figure.
Old 2011-09-12, 04:24   Link #16475
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I must say I'm surprised that Sept 11 memorials got virtually no mention in AnimeSuki. Am I missing something, or do people in general not care any more about the event, 10 years on?

In the meantime, history comes alive in another part of the world.

Battle of Marathon brought back to life in re-enactment
Quote:
Marathon, Greece (Sept 11, Sun): Sweating beneath heavy armour, a group of die-hard archaeology fans brought the Battle of Marathon to life this weekend on the coastal plain where the fate of Europe changed dramatically 2,500 years ago.

Gathering from Europe, North America and Australia, the re-enactors staged a three-day event of combat, archaic-culture revival and commemoration at Marathon Bay never before seen in Greece, despite its rich archaeological heritage.

For many of the participants, it was also a personal pilgrimage after long years of arduous preparation and unfulfilled hope.

"It's a dream come true after 10 years," said Mr Hywel Jones, a printer from Wales who came to Marathon with his wife, Stephanie, to fight as a Greek hoplite, the heavily armed infantry soldier of ancient Greece.

Most of the re-enactors had spent thousands of euros to travel to this small town 40km (25 miles) north-east of Athens, better known for lending its name to the world's premier long-distance running event.

The hobbyists brought with them family members as well as hand-made armour and kit crafted over the years at great personal cost.

The re-enactors initially had to persuade their hosts in Greece that this was the correct moment to commemorate the 2,500-year anniversary of the 490 BC battle in the bay of Marathon.

"Originally, everybody thought it was last year, and of course it wasn't, as there's no year 'zero'," noted Mr Andy Cropper, a university lecturer from England's Sheffield region.

The organisers had initially hoped for a turnout of 200 but had to settle for 50 battle-ready Greek hoplites and a handful of Persian archers. The municipality of Marathon provided logistical support and allowed the group to hold a memorial ceremony to honour the Greek and Persian fallen at the battle's victory monument.

"I think the town would like us to come back every year," said Mr Christian Cameron, a Canadian novelist and former United States navy officer who headed preparations for the event. However, the cost to the participants makes an immediate re-run unlikely.

One of history's most famous military engagements, the Battle of Marathon is also one of the first to be recorded by chroniclers. The battle galvanised the warring Greek city-states and demonstrated that the Persian Empire, the superpower of the age, could be defeated.

"People argue that it is the battle where the Greeks saved Western civilisation. People can equally argue that it was the moment at which a great civilisation, the Persian civilisation, lost control of the West," Mr Cameron said.

AFP
Old 2011-09-12, 05:29   Link #16476
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I must say I'm surprised that Sept 11 memorials got virtually no mention in AnimeSuki. Am I missing something, or do people in general not care any more about the event, 10 years on?
Though I can't speak for everyone, especially no Americans, I myself am quite tired of needing to be reminded of "The Day the World Changed". It happened 10 years ago, do we really need to hear about it each and every year?
Old 2011-09-12, 06:25   Link #16477
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

10 years and billions-trillions later...
Old 2011-09-12, 07:56   Link #16478
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
And way too many death.
Old 2011-09-12, 08:02   Link #16479
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
There's not much to say. For many Americans, it's less of a punctuation in history and more of a continual thing. What I think many of us feel, looking back on the last ten years, is a sense that things never got any better after that date. Politicians may crow about how "we're safer now with all these actions we've taken", and historians/pundits may spin it as a moment of American "unity", but the toll it took on the country was more than those on that day.

I think beyond the remembrance of the day, there's an emotional turmoil about why the country hasn't healed and moved forward. We could quibble about the reasons, or who to blame, but I don't think you'll find too many people who could rationally argue the country became stronger or better in the face of that adversity. In fact, you're more likely to find people who would argue that things have only gotten worse.
Old 2011-09-12, 08:25   Link #16480
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
So after pooring in money for Greece (which is still on the verge of bankruptcy)
They are already bankrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Iraq cleric to followers: Stop attacking US troops
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-11-21-11-40
In short he say than if they stop killing GI's , they will leave Irak faster.
What he really meant : Stop attacking US troops so they would leave, then we could attack the puppet government they installed without their interference! Me akbar (Me is great)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
The VJ and VE day are still being remembered (the Yanks sent a contigent of Marines to Orussia's parade this year), so why not?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international