Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-09, 16:55   Link #421
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
There's a lot more than "Kill one bad guy then move on to another" in Fate/Stay Night, it just happens to look like so.
I sure there is. I've never played the game. But, the anime adaptation to me was like that. It's just as it felt to me, as in I could briefly tell someone else the plot without missing many details. Then again, I'm used to massive plot based shows.

Quote:
The love between Shirou and Saber is a bit different from daily Boy x Girl love you see--no wonder you found it weird. But if you watch more shounen anime, you'll need to get used to seeing different kinds of love.
Actually, I tend to watch more seinen, because shonen is usually a little too dramatic.

Quote:
This anime is an adaption from the game, and thus it has done very poor explanation, I agree--the anime goes for the Fate route, which tells us nothing but the basics but if you have the time, I strongly recommend you to play the game--the second scenario, the Unlimited Blade Works is where the real story telling begins while the third scenario, Haven's Feel reveals the truth of everything.
By the way, Tohsaka's wish is revealed in the very beginning, go re-watch the bit about her and her father.
I'll have to search through that again. Like, I watched it streaming, so I don't have the episodes on hand to do the search. Could you just say it in a spoiler?
But yeah, the explanations weren't nice to me, just very shaky. I can only understand English, however. So, I'm going to play the Fate route sometime in the next month and UBW as soon as the patch is ready. But HF won't be for a while, looking at how fast the patch is moving.

Quote:
The teacher...Fuji-nee? She's supposed to serve as comedy material. Just like Sunohara in CLANNAD(I assume you're watching from your signature?) This is a shounen anime, and even there're lots of girls, they all act like boys, therefore comedic material is found in a girl(and she still act like a guy, kid this time...)
Hm? I wouldn't describe it as Shounen. It's based off an eroge, and that kind of automatically makes it a seinen. It's also more violence based instead of romance based, and seems to be something a boy would like more than a girl. But yeah, I know she's comedy material. . I'm just surprised that out of the entire series, she was the only person who had the anime-esque deformations at comedic parts. The others were not, even when they were supposed to be in funny scenes.

Quote:
It's not as easy as you think, it's really hard to do your hair--no matter how you try to imitate you just can't fix that damned hair--or maybe mine's just too short.
Maybe. I have longer hair, so it could work... The shirt and stuff would be a challenge to make. I wonder if they sell that color green contact lense...

Quote:
Auturia has to die no matter what...unfortunately...Life is tough.
Too true. It's just that I was thinking they'd leave that to our knowledge, saying that Auturia dies, and just show her coming back to her time and all...
Old 2008-01-09, 17:24   Link #422
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
I sure there is. I've never played the game. But, the anime adaptation to me was like that. It's just as it felt to me, as in I could briefly tell someone else the plot without missing many details. Then again, I'm used to massive plot based shows.
The only minus point of CLANNAD: it's so good that it makes most if not all other anime out there not up to standard.

Quote:
Actually, I tend to watch more seinen, because shonen is usually a little too dramatic.
I can't really tell the difference of shounen and seinen--mind telling me?

Quote:
I'll have to search through that again. Like, I watched it streaming, so I don't have the episodes on hand to do the search. Could you just say it in a spoiler?
Hint: Tohsaka respect her father very much.
Spoiler for Tohsaka's reason to fight:

Quote:
But yeah, the explanations weren't nice to me, just very shaky. I can only understand English, however. So, I'm going to play the Fate route sometime in the next month and UBW as soon as the patch is ready. But HF won't be for a while, looking at how fast the patch is moving.
I'm sure the HF translation will take ages. But if you want the general plot without details, I'm always here.

Quote:
Hm? I wouldn't describe it as Shounen. It's based off an eroge, and that kind of automatically makes it a seinen. It's also more violence based instead of romance based, and seems to be something a boy would like more than a girl. But yeah, I know she's comedy material. . I'm just surprised that out of the entire series, she was the only person who had the anime-esque deformations at comedic parts. The others were not, even when they were supposed to be in funny scenes.
That's because Fate/Stay Night is based on a very serious and dark material--Fuji-nee is just there to be a damper on the impact caused by the story telling.

Quote:
Maybe. I have longer hair, so it could work... The shirt and stuff would be a challenge to make. I wonder if they sell that color green contact lense...
I used to have long hair when I am a kid. But now I like my hair short so that it is easier for me to take care off. Ironically, my ex-boyfriends all have long hair.
I have a shirt that's almost identical to hers so I had no problem at all. The hard bit is to get used to wearing long socks--at first it was very uncomfortable, but the hard bit comes when you have to take them off---I already broke 3 pairs. And it was hard to ignore the sights of people looking at my skirt, too...
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 20:46   Link #423
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
The only minus point of CLANNAD: it's so good that it makes most if not all other anime out there not up to standard.
Well, Clannad actually is a little lower of a standard to me than Kanon. Heck, I tried watching Air after Kanon and that seemed awful. It's just, I tend to watch a lot of drama filled anime.

Quote:
I can't really tell the difference of shounen and seinen--mind telling me?
Tranditionally, shounen tend to focus mainly on a girl and a hottie of a guy. Generally the guy is portrayed as being cool and smooth, the perfect guy. Like, flowers surrounding him. They also tend to have more romance/betrayal in them. Kind of like a soap opera.
Seinen tends to be more about the male side of a relationship. But seinen also seems to be anything that isn't for kids and isn't shounen.
These are the definitions I learned, so don't take my word for it.

Quote:
Hint: Tohsaka respect her father very much.
Spoiler for Tohsaka's reason to fight:

I'm sure the HF translation will take ages. But if you want the general plot without details, I'm always here.
Thanks. The UBW translation from start to release is going to take around a year, so HF should be around the same. Though, HF is 15% translated as of mid-December, so maybe October?

Quote:
That's because Fate/Stay Night is based on a very serious and dark material--Fuji-nee is just there to be a damper on the impact caused by the story telling.

I used to have long hair when I am a kid. But now I like my hair short so that it is easier for me to take care off. Ironically, my ex-boyfriends all have long hair.
I have a shirt that's almost identical to hers so I had no problem at all. The hard bit is to get used to wearing long socks--at first it was very uncomfortable, but the hard bit comes when you have to take them off---I already broke 3 pairs. And it was hard to ignore the sights of people looking at my skirt, too...
Thanks.

I just like long hair because I just feel like I can do much more with it that way. It takes longer to dry and is a mess in the morning, but I just kind of like the looks of it.
I just wonder how I could make that shirt. The red is easy, but how can I get a cross on?
Old 2008-01-10, 00:29   Link #424
Kimiko Khan
reality has no meaning

i thought the plot was well done though i also revel in the concepts that this anime uses. heroes of old, forgotten eras, battles of glory, the wish to redeem ones past stuff like that. and ya the plot has some problems but since when has any story in any format been perfect. even the greatest authors don't actually do that great of a job with their stories. its always difficult to be fully drawn into it when looking at the story from a 3rd person view
Old 2008-01-10, 04:22   Link #425
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Well, Clannad actually is a little lower of a standard to me than Kanon. Heck, I tried watching Air after Kanon and that seemed awful. It's just, I tend to watch a lot of drama filled anime.
Make sure you put a copy of this phrase in CLANNAD section...just a final off-topic word: CLANNAD is by far the best KEY games I've played, it's so good that even the animators have a problem making the adaption

Quote:
Tranditionally, shounen tend to focus mainly on a girl and a hottie of a guy. Generally the guy is portrayed as being cool and smooth, the perfect guy. Like, flowers surrounding him. They also tend to have more romance/betrayal in them. Kind of like a soap opera.
Seinen tends to be more about the male side of a relationship. But seinen also seems to be anything that isn't for kids and isn't shounen.
These are the definitions I learned, so don't take my word for it.
That's...a bit too difficult for me to understand, maybe I am simply stupid after all...=.=

Quote:
Thanks. The UBW translation from start to release is going to take around a year, so HF should be around the same. Though, HF is 15% translated as of mid-December, so maybe October?
The HF storyline contains much much more technical terms while UBW is just a lot of hot-blood going on. Actually, the translation of HF started only 2 months after UBW, so if you want to play HF within two years from now on, you'd better learn Japanese or Chinese.

Quote:
I just like long hair because I just feel like I can do much more with it that way. It takes longer to dry and is a mess in the morning, but I just kind of like the looks of it.
I just wonder how I could make that shirt. The red is easy, but how can I get a cross on?
For me it's more of a bother than fun to take care of my hair--that's why I cut it, but maybe it's different for everyone else. One reason I dislike my hair being long is that it gets tangled up so very easily, and if I don't notice it in time, it hurts.

The cross is easy. First you get a large piece of cloth and cut out the cross in the middle of it(and the two circles on top too). You'll have to figure out the dimensions yourself as it is different depending on your height. If you are short you should make the bottom bit of it shorter otherwise it'll look chubby.

Next lay your shirt on a flat surface and put the piece of cloth with hole on top of it. Place the cross well at where you want it to be and pin it onto the shirt.
Get some white paint and another piece of spare cloth and an iron.

Drain the water from the iron if yours is one with steam. Soak the tip of cloth in paint and put it on top of the cross to paint it white. Quickily place the hot iron on top and press down for 3~5 seconds. Repeat until you've painted the whole cross, ask your friends to help you if you're tired.

There! The shirt is done!
Old 2008-01-10, 09:08   Link #426
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Make sure you put a copy of this phrase in CLANNAD section...just a final off-topic word: CLANNAD is by far the best KEY games I've played, it's so good that even the animators have a problem making the adaption
Aw, I don't want to be murdered. . It may be because Clannad is less of a crying game than Kanon, and I was expecting one. It may also be because I'm not marathoning Clannad. It may also be because winter stories always earn me props, especially if there is snow. I don't know, I just like it like that.

Quote:
That's...a bit too difficult for me to understand, maybe I am simply stupid after all...=.=
Shounen=Soap Opera type stories (Generally) meant for girls. Often contains a hotty of a guy.
Seinen=Anything that's not meant for kids and is not shounen.

Quote:
The HF storyline contains much much more technical terms while UBW is just a lot of hot-blood going on. Actually, the translation of HF started only 2 months after UBW, so if you want to play HF within two years from now on, you'd better learn Japanese or Chinese.
Oh, that would explain it. Darn. Ah well, it'd take longer to learn Japanese than two years.

Quote:
For me it's more of a bother than fun to take care of my hair--that's why I cut it, but maybe it's different for everyone else. One reason I dislike my hair being long is that it gets tangled up so very easily, and if I don't notice it in time, it hurts.

The cross is easy. First you get a large piece of cloth and cut out the cross in the middle of it(and the two circles on top too). You'll have to figure out the dimensions yourself as it is different depending on your height. If you are short you should make the bottom bit of it shorter otherwise it'll look chubby.

Next lay your shirt on a flat surface and put the piece of cloth with hole on top of it. Place the cross well at where you want it to be and pin it onto the shirt.
Get some white paint and another piece of spare cloth and an iron.

Drain the water from the iron if yours is one with steam. Soak the tip of cloth in paint and put it on top of the cross to paint it white. Quickily place the hot iron on top and press down for 3~5 seconds. Repeat until you've painted the whole cross, ask your friends to help you if you're tired.

There! The shirt is done!
*Jots down notes*
That should work. Thanks!

The cross on her shirt always has me wondering if she could be a sort of a symbol for anything in the series... Like, the unblemished desire? Jesus? I don't know.
Old 2008-01-10, 10:03   Link #427
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Aw, I don't want to be murdered. . It may be because Clannad is less of a crying game than Kanon, and I was expecting one. It may also be because I'm not marathoning Clannad. It may also be because winter stories always earn me props, especially if there is snow. I don't know, I just like it like that.
We won't murder you, we won't.
It's true CLANNAD is less of a crying game compared to Kanon and AIR, but the story telling is a notch higher than both. That's because the aurthor spent a lot of time developing the story as a whole instead of individual tales like the previous two installment.
This is why Nasu's works are great, because he doesn't design the story as multiple individual tale, but as a world on its whole. The story of each character intertwine with each other to form the world of Fate/Stay Night. It is said that Nasu's writings are just a way of expressing his world to us.

Quote:
The cross on her shirt always has me wondering if she could be a sort of a symbol for anything in the series... Like, the unblemished desire? Jesus? I don't know.
No idea. It's just a pattern perhaps? Note that the cross is not that of a Christian cross, as she is a non-believer. (If a priest like Kotomine exists in real life, the popularity of Christianity will definitely decreas. Luckily there is none) I remember seeing a discussion on this long time ago but in the end there was no answer.
Old 2008-01-11, 08:54   Link #428
Alaya
Counter Force

Actually, Shounen means high school and it means the "boy" magazine. It is meant for boys, not girls. Take a look at Weekly Shounen Jump magazine, most of the manga in there are classified as "Boy" manga. For Seinen, I have to ask my friend again.

One thing I pround of Fate/Stay Night game is that it beats CLANNAD in term of game selling. I won't accept anything lower than that for Nasu-san LOL.

I would rate Fate/Stay Night in a very very dark tone type of game. Sure, the Fate route and anime looks like nothing. The real deal starts in UBW with one of the heaviest question people would face in their life.

Spoiler for UBW:

Heaven's Feel is even much more darker. Yet, the darkest of all is Fate/Zero. After I read EvoSpace's summary of the last book, it makes me like to vomit. The story is just too sad and too dark (but that is a great things).

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 11:21   Link #429
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
Actually, Shounen means high school and it means the "boy" magazine. It is meant for boys, not girls. Take a look at Weekly Shounen Jump magazine, most of the manga in there are classified as "Boy" manga. For Seinen, I have to ask my friend again.

One thing I pround of Fate/Stay Night game is that it beats CLANNAD in term of game selling. I won't accept anything lower than that for Nasu-san LOL.

I would rate Fate/Stay Night in a very very dark tone type of game. Sure, the Fate route and anime looks like nothing. The real deal starts in UBW with one of the heaviest question people would face in their life.

Spoiler for UBW:

Heaven's Feel is even much more darker. Yet, the darkest of all is Fate/Zero. After I read EvoSpace's summary of the last book, it makes me like to vomit. The story is just too sad and too dark (but that is a great things).
Oh, darn it. I forgot that Shounen is "Young Boys". I was thinking "Shojo" instead. Sorry.
Old 2008-01-11, 13:04   Link #430
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
That's only natural, you know what we Chinese call Nasu when we compare him with other Japanese novel writers? "Kinoko kami"(Nasu the God)--his writing is so good that it's complete off the scale which we can use to compare with other novelists. Of course that's only limited to Otaku novels--there're tons of regular novels that're better than Nasu. (but if you add up writing, creativity, hot-bloodness, hentai and everything, Nasu's still quite high on the chart)

Quote:

Spoiler for UBW:

I agree, after reading the underground part of HF for the first time I was forced to leave my computer and later on the day, loose my appetite. (Note: I didn't loose any weight)
Old 2008-01-14, 22:27   Link #431
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

It's funny really, it would appear to be a stigma of all visual novel translations to anime that there is undoubtedly something that is lost or mixed up in the transition.

For example, KimiNozo had time issues that skewed people's opinions on the characters and their actions...Fate had issues with holes in character development that originally built up but apparently didn't seem to translate well to the anime's scale.

Shiro and Saber's relationship was pretty obvious from the beginning if you had played the game, knowing full well how the game could end up with your choices...the thing was, with most of us who have played the game going into the series with this makes it far easier for us to see the subtle nuances that were made between the two to show the dynamics of their relationship.

I don't know, it could be all of that or just the fact I'm getting old and generally look past the obvious top-layers of the anime stories.
Old 2008-01-15, 03:51   Link #432
Alaya
Counter Force

There are animes that adapt pretty well from visual novels. Take Key's works as examples, they are good and have a very good moment in the anime.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 18:46   Link #433
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
There are animes that adapt pretty well from visual novels. Take Key's works as examples, they are good and have a very good moment in the anime.
There are still many different aspects of the Kanon, AIR, Clannad animes that are somewhat problematic at expanding on something from the game to the point that it doesn't make sense to those who haven't seen the game, while the ones who have are kinda scratching their heads at how someone could miss them.

Da Capo is probably the worst in their bunch when it comes to this, the anime (both seasons really) portray him as going around randomly to each girl to fix their problems in almost effortless actions, where-as the games would actually explain that the actions aren't happening overnight.
Old 2008-01-17, 23:23   Link #434
dpryciak

Send a message via MSN to dpryciak Send a message via Yahoo to dpryciak
Why even put in such a tiny thing into the anime (Tohsaka and Sakura relationship) if very few people will understand it?? Frustrating....esp. as I'll never lay hands on the game around here.
dpryciak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 03:14   Link #435
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryciak View Post
Why even put in such a tiny thing into the anime (Tohsaka and Sakura relationship) if very few people will understand it?? Frustrating....esp. as I'll never lay hands on the game around here.
I didn't play the game before finishing the anime and I have no problem understanding this bit? What's that you are referring to?
Old 2008-01-27, 04:17   Link #436
Crisis7

Play the game, you can dl the game somewhere(don't ask me) and get the Fate route patch, the anime, is really weak, they totally twisted everything around and such. Sakura does not wear a bondage suit, Archer never used UBW against berserker, Kuzuki does not get killed by Gil, Avalon does not deflect it just makes it have no effect, etc. Fan service ruins things greatly. Play the game man, its the real thing. Its like judging tsukihime by the horribly done anime.
Crisis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 10:39   Link #437
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis7 View Post
Play the game, you can dl the game somewhere(don't ask me) and get the Fate route patch, the anime, is really weak, they totally twisted everything around and such. Sakura does not wear a bondage suit, Archer never used UBW against berserker, Kuzuki does not get killed by Gil, Avalon does not deflect it just makes it have no effect, etc. Fan service ruins things greatly. Play the game man, its the real thing. Its like judging tsukihime by the horribly done anime.
Except one thing...most people whom have played the game know that an anime, in it's inherent condensed state, will not have the same story as the source material. Most of us accept this fact and will take the anime adaptation, at worst, as a derivative work, and, at best, a pretty good rendition.

Would I say to not watch the anime? No. Would I say to try and play the game and then watch the anime? Probably not. Would I say watch the anime for what it is, an anime? Wholeheartedly yes.
Old 2008-01-28, 23:29   Link #438
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

This anime made me register... wow.

I haven't played the game or know very much about King Arthur.

I'm curious, the anime says that servants cannot die and their spirits can regenerate or something similar(very vague memory in the earlier eps).

Saber does not drink from the HG and stay because it will taint her personality and such, and Shirou knows that if he makes her drink it, he loses his integrity and Sabers. Saber destroys the HG and returns to her time in history. It so happens that it's right after she is injured. So does Saber die and Shirou continue to live a "normal" life with his girl friends (Tohsaka, Sakura, Ilya, etc.). I am really not understanding what happens to Saber and Shirou in the end. The whole build-up seems to contradict the ending. Without game knowledge, im assuming that Saber dies and Shirou just lives on with memories.

I've reading many pages and there are so much information to grasp. Someone with good knowledge just sum up the proper ending for me. Thanks! (I hope Saber meets Shirou again)

BTW What's the PC game called?

What a sad anime, I wish it had a happier ending just for the sake of happiness!

Last edited by Synria_; 2008-01-28 at 23:57.
Synria_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 01:11   Link #439
Raykun
Protect my imouto ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher7 View Post
This anime made me register... wow.

I haven't played the game or know very much about King Arthur.

I'm curious, the anime says that servants cannot die and their spirits can regenerate or something similar(very vague memory in the earlier eps).

Saber does not drink from the HG and stay because it will taint her personality and such, and Shirou knows that if he makes her drink it, he loses his integrity and Sabers. Saber destroys the HG and returns to her time in history. It so happens that it's right after she is injured. So does Saber die and Shirou continue to live a "normal" life with his girl friends (Tohsaka, Sakura, Ilya, etc.). I am really not understanding what happens to Saber and Shirou in the end. The whole build-up seems to contradict the ending. Without game knowledge, im assuming that Saber dies and Shirou just lives on with memories.

I've reading many pages and there are so much information to grasp. Someone with good knowledge just sum up the proper ending for me. Thanks! (I hope Saber meets Shirou again)

BTW What's the PC game called?

What a sad anime, I wish it had a happier ending just for the sake of happiness!
1. Game is called Fate/Stay night lols

2.Yes saber dies and gies back to her time in the end and shirou continues living on with his ideal na dhis love fo saber

We assume that due to this he [sp] Became Archer but in archer's timeline he didn't like saber but Rin[/sp]

3.Servants when they run outta mana or stuf they just go back to the grail Saber is different since she made a pact with world before her death which allows her to keep her memories of each time shes summon. The only other servant that can keep their memories is Archer since UBW records everything.

4. The game has 3 routes and the anime is mostly based on Fate route which is the cleanest and happy one to me ^^

Outta the 3 I enjoy UBW route the most.....

Well my opinion of this anime after finishing the game and reading Fate/zero its that as a whole Fate/stay night would get a 9 in my book
Raykun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 01:30   Link #440
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

From what I have read so far, If shirou becomes archer he should still hold memories of Saber and still loves her. But now you're saying that he comes to hate saber and love Rin instead (is this because of the training he receives and time he spends with Rin after the anime?)

You said that Saber made a pact with "world" and is able to keep memories each time she is summoned. Being able to keep memories implies that you are still somewhat "alive" and in a "conscious" state. And if Archer is the only other that can remember stuff he should be going after Saber.

We are implying that Archer is in a futurous state and his timeline got mixed with the fate/stay night timeline and so they can see and interact with each other, but he doesn't remember them?? And are we saying that if Saber died, she lost all memories or does she keep it with her in the Throne of Heros (lol?) or whatever?
Synria_ is offline   Reply With Quote