AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-13, 04:23   Link #21
MightySpirit
Yuri Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to MightySpirit
Hmm, since I have not completely finished Otome, I shall only mention HiME since I know the scenes better in that one anyways >_>

Mai-HiME:
- All scenes with Natsuki, Midori, and Nao :]
- When Natsuki tries hitchhiking (that scene is love <3 I had to reply so many times over lol)
- When Midori first shows off her element/child to Mai, Natsuki, and Mikoto
- When Midori breaks up the fight (all drunk-like) in the alley with Nao and the other three girls
- The Cake Wars episode (mainly when Natsuki and Nao keep arguing)
- The Karaoke episode (got to love Natsuki and Nao teasing each other when they dress-up and sing)
- The whole Shizuru/Natsuki relationship taking a turn for the worst (Shizuru going psycho and their final battle)

Old 2008-06-10, 12:54   Link #22
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

I haven't seen Mai-Otome yet (soon!), so I'll just list Mai-HiME:
  • I think my absolute favorite scene is in ep 25. Mikoto thinks of Mai's cooking when she tastes her ramen and just breaks down. Mikoto's emotions are always so genuine, without guile or deceit, and you can tell how sad and lonely she is when anything reminds her of Mai. This scene was probably the hardest (read: impossible) to keep the eyes dry (although certainly not my only failure to do just that in this series). Then her ani-ue being an evil bastard when he "comforts" her.
  • Natsuki vs. Shizuru - final round: When Natsuki looked at Shizuru and yelled out to Duran to fire, and the look on both their faces as they hugged each other, accepting each other's feelings and the inevitable outcome...
  • Tate's death gets a special mention because it wasn't phony or macho. He faces death frightened, but with dignity. "Damn, it's scary to die", boy if hearing that doesn't send a shiver up your spine.... And then Mai's despair afterwards, along with Natsuki going to comfort her with tears in her own eyes... Mai looking over to Mikoto to scream at her, but stopping short when she sees the tears streaming down Mikoto's face... Powerful stuff.
  • Tate saving Mai with Miyu's sword. Some people think this was a macho thing (the guy has to be the one to save the day), but I disagree. Tate always wanted to help in any little way he could, even if it was blocking one slash, and then keeping Reito busy so that Mai could do what she needed to do to save the day. Plus, Mai comes right back and saves him a moment later. I think it drives home that a relationship is about being there for each other when the other needs help.

Ciao!
Old 2008-07-06, 05:38   Link #23
evangeline88
Moe Master

~ When Chizuru calls 'Kiyohime'
~ When Mai calls 'Kagutsuchi'

i just like those moments ...
cool ^^
Old 2008-07-06, 14:50   Link #24
solarknight123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneNineTails View Post
[*] Tate saving Mai with Miyu's sword. Some people think this was a macho thing (the guy has to be the one to save the day), but I disagree. Tate always wanted to help in any little way he could, even if it was blocking one slash, and then keeping Reito busy so that Mai could do what she needed to do to save the day. Plus, Mai comes right back and saves him a moment later. I think it drives home that a relationship is about being there for each other when the other needs help.[/LIST]
Ciao!
Finally someone else who agrees with me on that.
Old 2008-07-07, 16:57   Link #25
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Tate saving Mai with Miyu's sword. Some people think this was a macho thing (the guy has to be the one to save the day), but I disagree. Tate always wanted to help in any little way he could, even if it was blocking one slash, and then keeping Reito busy so that Mai could do what she needed to do to save the day. Plus, Mai comes right back and saves him a moment later. I think it drives home that a relationship is about being there for each other when the other needs help.
I've also read some criticism that the Obsidian Lord really sucks as a bad guy, because "only-human" Tate can hold his own in a sword fight for so long, but two things, 1) The Obsidian Lord is still in Reito's human body with all of the weaknesses that go with it, and 2) Wasn't Tate supposed to be like one of the best Kendo students in the area, if not the country? I think they talked about it in a few places, how he won multiple tournaments... Plus, of course, the Obsidian Lord finally wears Tate down, which is when Mai has to save him. So, I dunno that I buy that criticism too much.

I did like how the story wrapped itself up in the final episode (no, the reset button didn't bug me, I thought it was well planned out and actually was integrated into the story without any Deus Ex Machina. Plus it would have been WAY too brutal to leave everyone dead...), but I just wish the execution of that last episode was a bit more serious and dramatic, and that they could have withheld the cheesy silliness until the "epilogue" part (and then it can get all silly, that's fine with me, that's what epilogues are for. ). Oh well, the interaction between Mai and Mikoto near the end of the big battle was really touching.

I do wonder how Alyssa was returned to life, though, because if you think, she was the only HiME that actually died from a real mortal injury. It might have been a bit more bittersweet if Mashiro couldn't bring her back because she really died from a real injury... As it was, I guess Joseph Glear was the only real casualty of the series, heh...

Ciao!
Old 2008-07-07, 18:39   Link #26
solarknight123

Quote:
I've also read some criticism that the Obsidian Lord really sucks as a bad guy, because "only-human" Tate can hold his own in a sword fight for so long, but two things, 1) The Obsidian Lord is still in Reito's human body with all of the weaknesses that go with it, and 2) Wasn't Tate supposed to be like one of the best Kendo students in the area, if not the country? I think they talked about it in a few places, how he won multiple tournaments... Plus, of course, the Obsidian Lord finally wears Tate down, which is when Mai has to save him. So, I dunno that I buy that criticism too much.

I did like how the story wrapped itself up in the final episode (no, the reset button didn't bug me, I thought it was well planned out and actually was integrated into the story without any Deus Ex Machina. Plus it would have been WAY too brutal to leave everyone dead...), but I just wish the execution of that last episode was a bit more serious and dramatic, and that they could have withheld the cheesy silliness until the "epilogue" part (and then it can get all silly, that's fine with me, that's what epilogues are for. ). Oh well, the interaction between Mai and Mikoto near the end of the big battle was really touching.

I do wonder how Alyssa was returned to life, though, because if you think, she was the only HiME that actually died from a real mortal injury. It might have been a bit more bittersweet if Mashiro couldn't bring her back because she really died from a real injury... As it was, I guess Joseph Glear was the only real casualty of the series, heh...

Ciao!
Yeah I enjoyed the ending as well, thou it was a bit cheezy, i really could not see it end tragically in anyway.

As for the Alyssa thing, I think it's safe to say that mashiro's powers extended from just reviving the MIPs and she was also able to revive Alyssa who was probably a wandering spirit(just of theory of mine)
Old 2008-07-07, 22:44   Link #27
Ippikiookami
One of many ShizNat fans

Quote:
I do wonder how Alyssa was returned to life, though, because if you think, she was the only HiME that actually died from a real mortal injury. It might have been a bit more bittersweet if Mashiro couldn't bring her back because she really died from a real injury...
I believe she counted as a real HiME, since when her MIP died a pillar rose beneath the school like with all the other HiME. So her "life force" and that of her most important person was able to be revived. Like when Sister Yukariko died with Ishigami - she still got resurrected. I agree though, it would have been more bittersweet. However, then she wouldn't have been able to grow up and her descendants couldn't star in the sequels (yeah I went there )

Quote:
As it was, I guess Joseph Glear was the only real casualty of the series, heh...
You're forgetting all those First District people and the little old ladies that Shizuru killed. I don't remember any mention that they came back to life.
Old 2008-07-08, 23:54   Link #28
Alyssa Searrs
legend drop out

My-Hime :-

-When Mai’s powers awaken

-The whole episode with the panty thief +when Natsuki’s skirt fly’s up in front of Mai

-When all the Himes MIP disappear and their child is defeated (it was so sad)

-When Miyu carries Alyssa into the lake and freezes it over (it was just so sad)

-Mikoto crying after defeating Chio

-The last episode

(There are some of my favourites, but i have a lot more ^-^)
Old 2008-07-09, 17:01   Link #29
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:

For me it was exactly the contrary, since I found extremely weird that Reito (even if possessed by the Obsidian Lord) could almost successfully beat the crap out of Tate, who was a kendo student and was wielding the sword of Miyu. For a moment I thought that his normal katana should break for the impact.
Anyway, as you said before, that was a powerful moment in the anime, and one of my favorite too. I mean... I waited for 25 episodes for those two to get together, and for Tate to finally find a way to help those he loved
Old 2008-07-10, 12:23   Link #30
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
For me it was exactly the contrary, since I found extremely weird that Reito (even if possessed by the Obsidian Lord) could almost successfully beat the crap out of Tate, who was a kendo student and was wielding the sword of Miyu. For a moment I thought that his normal katana should break for the impact.
Anyway, as you said before, that was a powerful moment in the anime, and one of my favorite too. I mean... I waited for 25 episodes for those two to get together, and for Tate to finally find a way to help those he loved
I had the impression that his katana was more than just a ceremonial sword, but I could have been wrong. I was definitely not a big fan of Yuichi screaming out "I LOVE MAI!!". I think a quieter, more personal declaration would have been more appropriate (and less Dragon-Ball-Z-ish), but oh well. There were quite a few tweaks in my head about how I would have rather seen the last episode fall out, but they are all basically small changes to the implementation. I really did like how the basic story wrapped up. But I do think the Alyssa thing would have added a bit of a dramatic, somber overtone to the otherwise silly/happy ending...

Ciao!
Old 2008-07-10, 15:11   Link #31
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Me too, actually, also because, as you said, she died as a normal human not dissolved into green sparkles.
And I do not think that those of the First District got the "reset", they probably staid dead, making Shizuru the only Hime who actually killed someone.
Old 2008-07-11, 16:43   Link #32
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
Me too, actually, also because, as you said, she died as a normal human not dissolved into green sparkles.
And I do not think that those of the First District got the "reset", they probably staid dead, making Shizuru the only Hime who actually killed someone.
HiME, yeah. But Miyu sure did quite a number on her own "father"... Joseph-Shish-ke-bob, Miyu-style. AFAIK, Alyssa was the only "main" character to actually be killed by a real injury other than greenspark. Except (as a previous poster rightly pointed out) Yukariko did kinda kill herself inside St. Vrus's iron maiden... So I dunno, that might count too... I dunno if she would have greensparked in there or died from a flesh and blood wound...

I think you're right about First District... They all kinda got pretty much the "pink slip" the hard way, and I don't think they were supposed to really be around afterwards. Oh well, they killed Natsuki's mom, so they got their payback.

I tallied up the "HiME body counts" too, Mikoto actually won that one, although she was pretty much possessed by her ani-ue at the time.

Mikoto - 3: Shiho (Tate - sadness!), Fumi (Mashiro's "doll"), Midori (her professor sweetheart)
Shizuru - 2: Yukino (Haruka), Nao (Nao's mom)
Natsuki - 2: Shizuru (kills herself which also kills Shizuru for the double-KO!)
Yukariko - 2: Kills herself (herself and Ishigami)
Shiho - 1: Akira (Takumi)
Mai - 1: Alyssa (Alyssa's dad)
Alyssa - 0 (unless you count the bridge, which pretty much got vaporized)
Nao - 0
Midori - 0
Yukino - 0
Fumi - 0
Akira - 0
[Miyu - 1: Akane (Kazuya)]
[JGlear - 1: Alyssa herself]

Of course, IMHO Mai was by far the most powerful of them all, but she only took out Alyssa's child (and Kagutsuchi even kinda did that on his own accord). Heh, good thing she wasn't an evil Mai, she coulda easily racked up all 12. Throughout the whole series, as far as my opinion goes, Mai only did something really cruel once, and that was when she told Mikoto to go away. And that one act was pretty much the one thing that caused her untold grief afterwards, and I don't think she even really meant it, either...

Ciao!
Old 2008-07-16, 06:04   Link #33
Cake-kun
At least it's on the book

Send a message via Yahoo to Cake-kun
Well. My favorite parts/scene/episodes:

Mai-Hime:

*When Natsuki have no lingerie on, and the wind blew her skirt off. Takeda saw it, and he went nosebleeding. XD hahahahah! I really laughed so hard at that part.
*When Natsuki commanded Duran to blast off Kiyohime, and when Natsuki and Shizuru are vanishing. that scene somewhat moved me.
*Mai-Shiho fight. I feel pity for Shiho instead. Well, kinda true, Shiho fell inlove with his "Onii-chan" first. hahahah.
*The cake exam. Fumi displayed her abilities as Mashiro's maid, and it's cool! Especially knocking Mikoto off using a spoon. :P
*When Tate protects Mai with Miyu's sword. (The Marie) How sweet! Especially when he said out loud that he loves Mai. XD
*The final fight. Especially Mai's final dance, with the background music on it.

Mai-Otome:

*When the star of guidance turned red, and all of the otome's are freed from the certification, especially the background music! (i downloaded that music right away after seeing that scene.)
*When Miss Maria has shown her robe. Natsuki, Arika, Mashiro, and Mai (there's no shock at Mikoto's face at all.) got shocked when they saw Miss Maria.
*Sounds weird, but, when Shiho is doing her "maki-maki" or spiraling, her chants made me laugh. It almost choked me (sounds exaggerated, but true.) when she appeared at episode 25, when the two slaves got "maki-maki-ed" by her.
*When Haruka tried to materialized, but unfortunately, she's isn't certified yet by Yukino, and fell from the cliff instead. hahahahah.
*When Akane fight with her Pearl robe. Really touching episode.
*The episode of Arika and Nina, when Arika found out about Nina's weakspot. hahahah. Nina looked kawaii when being tickled by Arika.

Mai-Otome Specials:

*Natsuki's episode! It's really hilarious! hahahah!
*Maya Bryce, Akane Soir and Kazuya Krau-xeku. I'm so surprised that Maya's like that. hahahah.
*Aswad. Midori's been got by Mikoto! How funny! And the scene that Midori's so shocked that Mikoto dodged her attack. Especially, the materialization scene of Mikoto! XD
*Shiho's spiraling. That's one of the Mai-Otome specials that gave me a burst of laugh. hahahahah!

Last edited by Cake-kun; 2008-07-19 at 07:17.
Old 2008-09-09, 18:00   Link #34
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

OK. Now I'm done with Otome, so I can give my favorites from that one.
  • The last after-credit scene with Nina. The fact that she went through all that just for Sergey, and then he doesn't even who she is... Ouch. A pretty bittersweet compliment to the ending. Oh well, Nina, you deserve a whole lot better than that manipulating bastard anyways...
  • Erstin's death, especially since this was "Killed Off For Real". That spurred on so many touching moments in the rest of the series, when her friends remembered her (and Nina almost having an emotional breakdown from her guilt).
  • The scene with Aoi courageously refusing to betray Mashiro. *sniffle*
  • Nina undressing and asking Sergey to "take away her right to be an otome". That simple statement carried so much meaning in such a seemingly simple request. I didn't even see it as being at all about the physical act of sex, but rather as her pleading for him to acknowledge her feelings and her guilt.
Of course, what that might have done to her if Sergey HAD done anything might have also been pretty tragic, so I give him props for not screwing around with her, although I had to say the way he cruelly manipulated his own daughter and Arika into those situations, fully realizing how much pain he was causing the two of them... it's harder to say who's the bigger bastard, Nagi or Sergey. I don't care that he thought he was sparing Nina heartbreak or what, it was still pretty terrible.

I kinda really felt for Nina. She clearly didn't have the same ability Arika had to just ditch tradition and duty to do "what was right", but she clearly wasn't an evil sort. The inner turmoil combined with the forced stoic facade as her guilt almost ripped her apart was pretty evident and painful to see. She was forced to do all sorts of terrible things by her father and her master, but in the end instead of shrugging it off as "just following orders", she chooses to live the rest of her life atoning for what she had done, which in the end is the more honorable choice, I believe.

Ciao!

Last edited by KitsuneNineTails; 2008-09-10 at 09:35.
Old 2009-02-01, 05:53   Link #35
natsukishizuru

i like when shizuru always have kiss..hehehe shiznat forever......
Old 2009-02-01, 05:56   Link #36
natsukishizuru

everything i like in my hime and my otome........yeah.......
Old 2009-02-04, 13:15   Link #37
pinhead
Hellraiser

in Hime the scenes with Shizuru and Natsuki

in Otome the scenes with Shizuru and Tomoe

pretty simpel huh? ^^
Old 2009-03-04, 20:35   Link #38
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
Being a big fan of the franchise, there is too much for me to list, way too much...

I would say the most epic scenes for me would be when the HiME crew went for a karaoke party and when Natsuki tries to hitchhike. But I say that its good they meet people they know rather than people who they don't know at all. Also, any moment with Mai X Mikoto or Mai X Tate are great for me ^_^
Old 2009-06-08, 21:22   Link #39
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Mai-HiME

When Midori is drunk and pukes sparkly orange stuff on Nao

When Midori gets Yukariko drunk (Karaoke episode)

The panty episode, where at the end, Mikoto is swinging back and forth with panties on her head

When Mai freaks out because she sees Mikoto trying to "get a date" (Nao episode)

Mai-Otome

The scene at the pool where Erstin thinks Nina is touching her and says something yuri-ish like "But were both girls... ok..." (or something like that)

When Nagi laughs after seeing the cradle thingy that Arika was in (Episode 21)

Arika finding Nina's week spot

When Sergey says that Arika looks like an ant
Old 2009-06-09, 04:35   Link #40
kitten320

For me there is too many of them