AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-10, 19:50   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

What's with adults watching kid's shows?

Okay, not insulting any adults who actually saw those shows but I just want to make a simple retro-perspective of this issue. Roughly 10 years ago it was cool to hate a kid's show such as Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh for examples. In fact most anime forums back then are constantly filled with hatred to those shows, much like what most "kids" today did to Naruto, Bleach, random ecchi and moe shows.

Today things had changed. The kids who once hate those shows are now grown into adults and some of them are collecting cards, a hobby which they once hated. I can't say much about how it changed but I think introductions of Yu-Gi-Oh and Vanguard cards and exhibition duels in most anime-related convection may help to change their mentality towards those shows.

If Cardfight Vanguard was shown in 1999 instead of 2009 and I don't think it is cool as it is today. Just wondering.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:04   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Shows don't automatically get worse as you age.

There are plenty of cartoons I'd watch today, over many an anime, for sure...

Though yugioh kinda always sucked.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:06   Link #3
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Why do I have the feeling that this is directed towards Bronies more than anything?

As to answer your question....oh hush really. Who cares....if they like it, they like it.
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:08   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Actually, I think it's mainly because a lot of kids a decade or more ago did like shows like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh.

Then those kids grew up, but many simply continued on with their fandom into adulthood, because the show is continuing on and/or getting sequels/spin-offs. At least in Pokemon's case, I'm sure that the video games helped.

The producers of these shows noticed this, and so they tried to make the show more appealing to adult anime fans in general, while still making it accessible to the kids of today. This is to ensure that these now adult Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh fans continue to stay around.

This picture nicely sums up one way this is accomplished.
Old 2013-01-10, 20:14   Link #5
NK_500
Disabled By Request

In my country, 20-something men are playing Yu-Gi-Oh and Vanguard in the public. Something you're not going to see in past 5 years.

I think the reason why some of the "kid's" shows are quite popular among adults, at least in my theory, because of the clever marketing campaigns for the card games rather than the shows themselves. How you mentioned anime conventions already gave the clue.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 20:28   Link #6
Traece
:cool:

I see two major reasons for this:

The first thing is that society is overbearing and critical of children and their hobbies, and liking things like Pokemon cards and other such "nerdy" devices is and was considered to be "nerdy" and caused you to be a social outcast. In order for something to be socially acceptable, people have to outwardly enjoy them. When you're a kid, you feel like you shouldn't do these things because they're frowned upon. When you grow up, you stop caring about what society thinks about what you do with your own money and in your own home. When you get older and you become a well-defined individual you no longer have to hold yourself to the standards of others to the extremes that children often do to fit in.

The second thing is social media and the internet. Everything has scaled up. There are more conventions, more tournaments, and more everything for things that were once considered to be nerdy. People have the ability to go on forums, and talk on Facebook, and interact with each other in their hobbies over the internet. When there are millions of other people who enjoy the same things that you enjoy, it stops being an issue that some people think badly about your hobbies.

As far as myself, I can be pretty critical when I really want to be. A lot of cartoons (especially those made by Tartakovsky and Faust, for specific examples) are actually very well made. They have all of the elements you expect in a Hollywood movie but sometimes do a better job of portraying them. Heck, Kids Next Door actually had a romance aspect to it that was pretty nicely done considering its medium and audience. I suspect a little bit of this enjoyment also comes from the fact that a lot of adults watched cartoons as a children, and society really doesn't provide us with any reason why we can't enjoy them as adults. Especially as long as animated movies from studios like Pixar are going to come out and be held to the same standards as every other kind of movie.
Old 2013-01-10, 20:29   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
They're pretty enjoyable. Less seriousness in some and not complication which most mature anime shows gives.

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-10 at 21:36.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 21:14   Link #8
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I admit that I have been an avid watcher of Courage the Cowardly Dog on Cartoon Network.
But heck, that show isn't made for kids!

I don't think adults watching kid's shows is a problem. The problem begins when they begin a makeshift cult and type mysterious runes using their keyboards to look for fellow advocates.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 21:32   Link #9
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Codename: Kids Next Door was awesome when I was 21

Pretty much any cartoon that doesn't treat you like an idiot can be surprisingly watchable.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 21:33   Link #10
4Tran

I'm not sure what's hard to get about this. Kids' shows that are well made have entertainment value regardless of your age. This has always been true, and nothing's really changed. Sailor Moon was worth watching as an adult 20 years ago, and Precure is worth watching today.

The main difference is that teenagers are young enough that they don't want to be associated with kids' stuff, while adults don't have to care about that kind of thing.
Old 2013-01-10, 21:51   Link #11
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Codename: Kids Next Door was awesome when I was 21

Pretty much any cartoon that doesn't treat you like an idiot can be surprisingly watchable.
Kids Next Door even did a parody of that prequel they made for The Matrix. Yeah, they parodied the back story of the robots taking over the planet from under their human oppressors. The children were the "humans" and the adults were the "robots." It was kind of gritty too.

Some real hardcore stuff. I having nothing but respect for a bold move like that.
Old 2013-01-10, 21:59   Link #12
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A person's teenage years are the years when they most want to prove that they're "adult". This is because it tends to earn them greater respect and trust from adults (which translates into more leeway on curfew, getting to drive the car, etc...), and greater admiration from their peers. Appearing "kiddish" will get you the opposite - Lack of respect and concern from adults, and teasing from your peers.

This makes sense, as a person's teenage years are about gradually transitioning into adulthood. Just about every culture in the world puts a certain emphasis on that "rite of passage". High school graduation ceremonies often aren't just about finishing high school, but also about (hopefully) completing that transition into being an adult.

Once you're an actual adult, people will treat you like one as long as you appear reasonably professional at work and basically are self-sufficient. You're also not monitored the same way, generally speaking. People don't care as much about your entertainment interests unless you give them a reason to care (talk about it a lot at work, say).

So a person's teenage years are actually the hardest years to be an "open" fan of certain things. Like cartoons aimed primarily at kids, and "children's card games", and collecting figurines. Being an adult can actually make being an "open" fan of this easier.
Old 2013-01-10, 22:24   Link #13
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Haven't you noticed?
"Nerd" is the new "cool".

At least, that's really what it seems like these days....
Old 2013-01-10, 22:29   Link #14
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Haven't you noticed?

At least, that's really what it seems like these days....
Everyone grew up and realized that the "nerds" who spent all their time on their computers and learning all kinds of cool things about technology were the people who would end up furthering the technological era we live in, and make large amounts of money as a result.

Ha. HA I SAY! The tables, they have turned!
Old 2013-01-10, 22:30   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Haven't you noticed?
You mean Otaku? That's when you're around people who share the same thing...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:43   Link #16
Random32
Also a Lolicon

We're adults. We do whatever the fuck we want with our free time, and if we want to watch shows aimed at kids, we will.

It's not like shows automagically reduce in enjoyability as we age. Also, specific to anime:
-Most anime aimed at kids realize they have big and growing (considering birthrate and population of Japan) periphery demographic of adults.
-Some anime is explicitly aimed at two demographics. e.g. "shoujo" stuff that is girls 5-12, males 18+.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 23:02   Link #17
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
We're adults. We do whatever the fuck we want with our free time, and if we want to watch shows aimed at kids, we will.

It's not like shows automagically reduce in enjoyability as we age. Also, specific to anime:
-Most anime aimed at kids realize they have big and growing (considering birthrate and population of Japan) periphery demographic of adults.
-Some anime is explicitly aimed at two demographics. e.g. "shoujo" stuff that is girls 5-12, males 18+.
While this ongoing trend does exist, children's anime has always held a great deal of universal appeal. Look at the "50 Years of TV Anime" list: almost all of the shows pre-1990 were meant for children, and the majority of them are quite watchable for adults. One difference between those older shows and some of the newer ones is that they often appealed the same way for adults as they did for kids, without needing to aim for specific demographics.
Old 2013-01-10, 23:38   Link #18
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
You mean Otaku? That's when you're around people who share the same thing...
No, I mean nerds.
Computer nerds, comic book nerds, fantasy nerds, sci-fi nerds, gamers.
Anime nerds? We are cut from the same cloth.

What movies got the most hype for 2012?
The Avengers and The Hobbit.

What TV show has one of the most highest ratings on a regular network?
The Big Bang Theory.

And what brand-new show is starting this month on TBS?
King of the Nerds.

Freaking Wal-Mart has Sailormoon and Naruto among their book section, and several mainstream anime series in their DVD selection as well.

We nerds are no longer shunned or ignored.....at least "we who live in the USA".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece
Ha. HA I SAY! The tables, they have turned!
INDEED THEY HAVE. We shall take over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32
*pumps fist*
F*CK YEAH!
Old 2013-01-11, 00:11   Link #19
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I did grow out of Pokemon though but I'd watch it if it was on and just stumbled upon it while flipping channels. I still play and collect the games though.

Other than that, I still watch cartoons. And like Random32 said, I'll watch whatever the hell I want. Lol

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 05:34   Link #20
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Roughly 10 years ago it was cool to hate a kid's show such as Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh for examples.
Whilst not directly answering your question, I sort've had the opposite experience with Pokémon when growing up. I liked it to start off with, then I found out it had a repeating nature (i.e. tournament after tournament), coupled with the expanding number of new creatures; apparently 150/151 were just not enough to sustain an endless anime.

Now this was the era of the VHS recorder, and so my brother & I were taping shows whilst we were at school. He convinced me to start recording/watching Babylon 5 instead (on a different TV channel), and I pretty quickly picked up that a show/book/comic/whatever with a pre-scripted ending was going to provide a superior experience to any endless show jammed with repetitions and filler .

So, to this day I have an aversion to any anime which looks like it doesn't have an ending; Hayate I think is the only exception to that, but then I only watched it for the comedy, not the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Pretty much this. So long as you're not being annoying about your hobbies (i.e. broadcasting them to an audience that isn't interested), then nobody will care what you watch/do outside of work.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote