AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-30, 11:32   Link #1741
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Not this kind of incest. Incest between sisters is very rare in anime. In fact, I only remember seeing it once (Candy boy, which was very sweet and innocent).
Old 2013-03-30, 11:36   Link #1742
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, in any event, I was probably being a bit too flippant in my 5th suggestion there.

Realistically speaking, such a kiss would fit the narrative best if it was between Akane and Rei or Aoi. Wakaba has possible yuri routes with Himawari and Momo.

I just thought it'd be nice to see all the yuri subtext get a payoff for a change. It would certainly make this final episode more memorable.
Old 2013-03-30, 11:51   Link #1743
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Sadly, yuri subtext often remains subtext in magical girls shows.
Old 2013-03-30, 12:36   Link #1744
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Story was retarded, they never explained anything about that crow.
Of all of the things Vividred Operation deserves to be derided over, I wouldn't include failing to explain itself. Pretty much everything is answered in episode 11. Finding it contemptibly silly is a valid opinion, but I think it makes consistent sense.

- Infinity Monsters decide Manifestor energy is dangerous in the wrong hands, and develop a test of heart/character for any world that wants to use it. All have failed the test.
- Rei is sent to Earth to test it. She's given seemingly conflicting orders: Destroy the world, but until you do, immerse yourself in it socially, creating the opportunity for mutual sympathy to develop. Crow mediates the test, as it probably always has, and serves as the voice of authority, prompting Rei to proceed whenever she has doubts, like a more twisted version of the Milgram Experiment.
- Earth fares surprisingly well against the Alones because Ishiki based his magical girl tech on the power of friendship, giving them an edge.
- Earth passes the test when Akane and Rei face their it's-either-your-world-or-mine existential conflict and still manage to become friends. By the measurements of the test, earthlings are sufficiently responsible/virtuous to continue existing, even with such powerful technology.
- Crow doesn't accept this outcome, either because it thinks the test was designed to be impossible, or because it's just a total prick. Either way, it goes AWOL and decides to destroy Earth personally.
- The Infinity Monsters restoring (had it even really been destroyed yet?) Rei's world indicates that Rei has also passed the test on behalf of her own world by putting her friends before herself, in spite of constant verbal/physical conditioning by Crow.

Anyway, it might sound backhanded, but I'm serious when I say that Vividred was better than it had any right to be. The show knew what it was, and readily mocked itself, but the characters themselves played it with completely sincerity to the very end. It should have been a total wash, but I'm going to give it a 6/10.

Admittedly, the one thing I'll probably remember is WAKABA'S INSTINCTUAL CRISIS-MANAGEMENT FLOWCHART:

1) Identify the cutest girl within snatching range
2) Pick her up in a bridal carry
3) OMOCHIKAERI!
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 15:02   Link #1745
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
I can only say one thing now:

Let the fanfics flow! (doujins stated to flow way earlier so not going there)
Old 2013-03-30, 17:17   Link #1746
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Of all of the things Vividred Operation deserves to be derided over, I wouldn't include failing to explain itself. Pretty much everything is answered in episode 11. Finding it contemptibly silly is a valid opinion, but I think it makes consistent sense.
I don't think it was explained how Rei got that apartment and where she got food and water from during her time on Akane's world.
Spoiler for Sakura Kyoko from Madoka Magica:

Maybe the crow brought her money? I'm fine with the sole reason is just, 'because plot' though.
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).

Last edited by Auxilism; 2013-03-30 at 17:30.
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 21:26   Link #1747
Jimmy C

Think about it this way, with almost every other "person from another world," how they get their basic neccessities is hardly ever explained either.
In fact, I can't think of one where that is explicitly stated.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 22:12   Link #1748
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Think about it this way, with almost every other "person from another world," how they get their basic neccessities is hardly ever explained either.
Actually that is explained this time.Rei had fake paperwork that she used to get into school and lease her apartment, including a bank account probably.Provided by the Crow I guess.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 23:09   Link #1749
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Actually that is explained this time.Rei had fake paperwork that she used to ... lease her apartment, including a bank account probably.Provided by the Crow I guess.
I could be wrong but I recall that they only mentioned that Kuroki Rei doesn't exist in that world with no mention of guardians or parents. Even if the fake paperwork fooled the banks, why wouldn't they question how a fourteen year old (or even seven since the accident took place seven years ago and assuming that she ages at the same rate as a normal human) is able to have so much money or is able to own an apartment by herself? I don't think that they would give anything to someone who could be a criminal.
Old 2013-03-30, 23:23   Link #1750
Ridwan

This show is no satire nor a deconstruction, but it definitely doesn't take itself seriously to the point that you've got to doubt that it was unintended. And this was obvious enough...
Old 2013-03-30, 23:48   Link #1751
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Agreed.

Spoiler for Nanoha comparison. Slight spoilers.:

Spoiler for Madoka Magica comparison. Slight spoilers.:

So VRO is no worse than the recent titans of the genre in this regard.
Old 2013-03-31, 01:22   Link #1752
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

Quote:
I don't know; I've only watched anime for a year and this is the fourth out of five franchises that I look forward to watching the next episode or try to find extra content so I can't make a lot of comparisons.

@Triple_R
Spoiler for Response to Madoka Magica spoiler:
Old 2013-03-31, 01:24   Link #1753
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191
Even if the fake paperwork fooled the banks, why wouldn't they question how a fourteen year old is able to have so much money or is able to own an apartment by herself?
Because they wouldn't even know she's fourteen. Even kids have bank accounts, and after the account's been created, no other bank employee would care enough to go over one particular customer's data. Not when they have so many and that one didn't draw any attention to itself.

Quote:
I don't think that they would give anything to someone who could be a criminal.
You'd be surprised, but that's neither here nor there.
In this case, it can be explained as money for living expenses from her parents. You'd have to dig at the source of the money to find an anomaly.
Old 2013-03-31, 01:56   Link #1754
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

@Jimmy C
I don't know about other countries but I made my bank account when I was fifteen. I was directed to another form where I needed my parent to sign as well (not just for monthly transfers, to recognise that I have an account). If you're saying that the crow hacked the system and just placed it there without going through the standard procedures then I understand your points and concede.
Old 2013-03-31, 02:10   Link #1755
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191
If you're saying that the crow hacked the system and just placed it there without going through the standard procedures then I understand your points and concede.
Considering the quality of her forged documentation, that would be easy for them. Also note that, with ATMs for all money in, money out transactions, there's no need for Rei to ever talk to an actual bank employee, ever.
Old 2013-03-31, 02:14   Link #1756
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

Quote:
Also note that, with ATMs for all money in, money out transactions, there's no need for Rei to ever talk to an actual bank employee, ever.
Thus, I completely understand how it would have worked knowing that the crow dumped the account into the system without physically going through any humans.
Old 2013-03-31, 02:29   Link #1757
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I just saw the last episode .... too much emotion I love the last merger Vivid red, and as I thought Rei goes into his world ... and as I suspected I cried :'(

but... Rei back?? if she was at the end of the episode is that its mean Rei can use its key to a door to the beginning accession to the world of akane?

so.... Good episode Good anime very good anime :')
Old 2013-03-31, 03:58   Link #1758
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Vividred Operations is EXACTLY the kind of Magical Girl series Madoka Magica was written to mock, and possibly, deconstruct. But then again, it's clear that the writers probably aren't trying to write a serious story here - after Nanoha and Madoka Magica, trying to write an archtypical Mahou Shoujo Story like Vividred Operations seriously is probably very difficult.
I would actually argue that Madoka Magica is EXACTLY the kind of Magical Girl series that Vividred Operation was written in reaction to. Whereas Madoka Magica took conventional magical girl series tropes to its logical extreme to bad endings for its characters, I would say Vividred did the same pushing its characters to a happy end by basically making the common magical girl trope "friendship" the single most powerful idea in its universe.

And I would also argue there wouldn't be a Hiroki Rei without characters like Akemi Homura or Fate Testarossa first.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 03:59   Link #1759
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Rei's farewell fails to build any emotion because it was just rushed. Here's the door> here take my scarf> ok thx bye! Felt like I was watching one bad mahou shoujo parody at the end. There's good cheese but there is also bad cheese. I feel this show falls more into the side of bad cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
I just saw the last episode .... too much emotion I love the last merger Vivid red, and as I thought Rei goes into his world ... and as I suspected I cried :'(
Two very different opinions. It didn't leave me in tears (not even Madoka Magica did and it seems that it was very emotional for many fans) but it led me to do this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191 View Post
I had to find the raw version, download it and watch almost the whole thing again because I couldn't forward but it was worth it for this gif (avatar and signature safe).
So I have to say that I'm leaning more toward Chiaki_chan's opinion. The part where the antagonist understands the protagonists and vice versa is deeper than the other anime I've watched. When Rei docked with Akane, she also received all the memories of Aoi, Wakaba and Himawari. Usually the protagonist(s) beat it into the antagonist and then they start to understand or just talking happens. Yes, Rei changed her view after Akane shouted that she wanted to understand her because she saw her as a friend but the docking puts a nice finish to it.

For Rei, she knows how Akane felt when she lost her father and her mother had to be hospitalised because of the Engine which is similar to her losing bother her parents. Sure, Akane had told her in episode 5 and admitted that she still had her grandfather and sister so it wasn't that bad but Rei now knows the emotions she felt for the brief period that Akane was dealing with the initial shock (I doubt that a seven year old would immediately see the bright side).

Aoi also had a similar experience when she woke up in the hospital by herself without anybody that she knew beside her (in episode 9 she recounts it when they didn't want to leave Akane).

There are other traits that I see from the very first episode (which caused the opening to be a nice touch when it was played throughout the scene) but they are due to friendship and I think everyone is jaded towards those unless
Spoiler for Madoka Magica:

For Akane, she understands how depressing it was for Rei to spend years as a child by herself and only having animals for company (nothing against animal people). Furthermore, the sheer agony when the crow told her that she suffered seven years for nothing as her world would not be brought back. When all this is implanted, it's more believable that Akane and Rei would cry when Rei finally goes back as they know each other on a very through level. Thus, them docking and then saying, "See you later." is more emotional than most series where people become friends by bashing each other or being told what another person has done for them.

Last edited by Auxilism; 2013-04-02 at 21:19. Reason: Debate which was turning nasty
Old 2013-03-31, 05:15   Link #1760
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Vividred Operation have attempted to be Madoka's Gao Gai Gar. Unfortunately, in my eyes, it fell short to accomplish it. I guess sugary optimism, "Our friendship cannot be measured" and yuri undertones could never convey the same feelings as nekketsu, "Hikari ni nare" and Nobuyuki Hiyama.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, bishoujo, comedy, ecchi, science fiction