AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Zero no Tsukaima

Notices

View Poll Results: Zero no Tsukaima (second series) - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 11 21.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 21.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 17.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 26.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.92%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.92%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-03, 17:43   Link #21
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuma77 View Post
Colbert could leave her to be burned alive, but he rescued her... why?
Because colbert wasn't a silly blood thirsty killer, unlike menville.

damn, i believe I shouldn't have read the novel summaries after all
colbert drama was watered down imo, but what really annoyed me was how they completely messed up Agnès, making her looking like a retard (yeah, taking your revenge over your duty, while Menville is happily doing some barbecue in the same room)

I felt kinda weird that Menville attacked Agnès as well, while it was clear she was focusing Colbert only. he could let her doing some job, and he just finish him up in a cunning and cheap style. but... no, he didn't, and moronically attacked Agnès.

And finally, but not the least, we see "normal" Agnès, giving without any problem the letter to Saito, while she wasn't able to think correctly once she knew the truth.

To be honest, I think even if i wasn't spoiled, I would rant the same way, OTZ...

well, this episode earned a 7, since it wasn't as bad as the previous episodes. Animation and "pace" wise, it was okay, though I was ticked about how the lame "flame" battle was occuring and dragged. (it looked like the flames didn't have any heat, except the very end of it...)

now, we got only 3 episodes left, with 1 possible episode to craft the plot back to... the inexistent war and... the usual "double episode" for the big battle, which should also add a way for saito (if they don't prepare another season) to get back on earth.

expectations? extremely low for me...

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-09-03 at 17:54.
Old 2007-09-03, 18:17   Link #22
Echoes

I thought the episode was touching and quite decent, but a lot of the action didn't make much sense to me.

As mentioned, why did Menville attack Anies? As bloodthirsty as he viewed Colbert, I don't think he'd be able to foresee his heroic rescue. He also seemed to plain forget about her after he had pinned Colbert. Wouldn't he realize that she'd be sort of mad that he tried to kill her? His arrogance would be the answer, I guess, but it just seems really dumb of him.

I did enjoy the episode, though. It was one of the better of the second season.
Old 2007-09-03, 18:22   Link #23
Calawain
Gaijin

I'll echo the sentiments of the weird way in which they did this episode. Not sure they portrayed Agnes and Colbert in the way one would expect from previous episodes. I am curious as to how they are going to end this show in 3 episodes unless they plan to make a third season. The war doesn't seem like something that could really end in 3 episodes and have Saito and Louise's relationship have enough screentime for some sort of resolution.
Old 2007-09-03, 19:38   Link #24
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
Who wouldve thought Colbert would die
A nice SaitoxLouise moment at the end
Old 2007-09-03, 21:30   Link #25
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Send a message via AIM to neutralizer
Spoiler for Wow, I totally didn't see that coming.:
Old 2007-09-04, 00:51   Link #26
ordnance11

With only 3 episodes, I got to wonder about the ending of the season.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-04, 01:30   Link #27
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
They should have named second season Agnes No Kirai as she is the main lead of this season and not Louise or Saito.

Now with only three episodes left and returning back to main story in an non-existant war and to relationship of a couple that had only two or three episodes centered on them before...

Spoiler for novels:

Unless they would start skipping and butchering down the novels again, since they seem to love that to do to the main plot while only trying to portray the sub-plot.

But in the end it will be this way :

"Zero No Tsukaima second season? Hmm what was that anime about again... Oh yeah, about Agnes, and a few filler episodes."

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2007-09-04 at 01:42.
Old 2007-09-04, 01:40   Link #28
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Why do you say the war is non-existent? Because the frontline is in another country?
Old 2007-09-04, 01:49   Link #29
Darknemo2000

Because it has no real importance so far. More episodes about Agnes past than the ones about war.

In novels this go through volumes being the main theme together with Saito/Louise and a few Saito/Henreitta & Saito/Siesta moments. Agnes was important mostly in one volume that had displayed her story, yet, even there the volume was still centered on a war. And the Guiches side-story was actually even longer...

In the anime it felt like they rushed through the main plotline not paying much attention to it while giving all the focus to an side-story that doesnt even have all that big importance in the novels and was only a short break from the war.

Here war becomes not imporant at all if compared to the novels... It's so easy to forget... Like this whole season.
Old 2007-09-04, 02:02   Link #30
wana10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
As mentioned, why did Menville attack Anies?
menville attacked anies because she attacked colbert. this was the fight that menville had waited for, longed for, and here was some commoner with a sword interfering. so menville would take out anies and then he could have his eppic dual with his former captain.

in other news, god i'm going to be glad to get back to the zero and her tsukaima...you know, like the title of the show. the anies backstory was interesting, but not this interesting. maybe two episodes could have gone its way, but it didn't need half a season! not to mention that the director really needs to work on his foreshadowing skills. i had it pinned that colbert was the captain episodes ago, thus no drama when the shocking secret was revealed, thus the reason it didn't need to be strung out over so many episodes. blargh. next week looks interesting. huzzah
Old 2007-09-04, 02:33   Link #31
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

way too predictable, but i still liked it, so a 10
Old 2007-09-04, 04:48   Link #32
SinsI

Didn't like it a bit. Drama developement was too inconsistent with the previous "light comedy" image, all those chibi character designs and that toned-down violence... If he's dying from being burned alive show him at least a little bit scorched!
And why the hell was Saito doing nothing? He's a kick-ass warrior-type familliar! Is he's there just for furniture? Why wasn't he fighting?
Old 2007-09-04, 05:09   Link #33
Darknemo2000

The problem is that in novels he wasn't there. The whole scene was changed only the outcome is the same.

Spoiler for Novels:

Now, since the idiot director decided that war is not that important, Saito and Louise don't have much to do so just kind of hang around just for the sake that they should be main heros (though they are not in anime, Anes is).

So again director put them in as a spectators just so that we would not forget that they exist. Yet this also made this scene weird, they did nothing at all though they could have (while in novels they couldn't do much about it because of the circumstances).

But again, don't look too deeply into this anime. As it strives hard to become the worst continuation of anime series this year, so let it slide.

They are doing their best to be the worst after all. You have to give them credit at least for that.
Old 2007-09-04, 05:16   Link #34
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Man they should forget about making a 3rd season.
Old 2007-09-04, 05:21   Link #35
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The thing is... the novel also fleshed a much more dramatic and painful irony

Spoiler for novels:

I don't know if it can be considered as the worst (as Nanoha strikers is a utter fail in term of sequel too). But like I and Darknemo said, the war is completely unexistent.

so far, we saw the guys leaving on the battlefield (which we never saw to begin with). A small glimpse of Reconquista army. Few henrietta moments about the war (they even watered down her memories of wales, when she was with saito, etc).
Frankly, the amount of actions is ridiculously disproportioned, and we got many tasteless and repetitive "comedy", while this season "plot" should be much more serious and dramatic than season 1. (i don't mind the start, with EP1-2, but there is a limit, and they surely bypassed it for too long... episode 5 is enough to be extremely annoyed)

I don't have any "problem" (well... i "can" withstand this) with "changes" with the characters (as Siesta was supposed to be much more heartwarming, and henrietta, much more dramatic, Saito really GAR, and Louise conflicting herself... but no they demolished them as well.)
But at least... give us the PLOT, for Crying out loud!

EDIT, Mist : i don't know about if they should. But there is no way they can wrap a "war" of this scale in only 3 mere episodes. Heck, if they don't pull the 1/70.000 it will be FLAT.
Old 2007-09-04, 06:07   Link #36
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Now, since the idiot director decided that war is not that important, Saito and Louise don't have much to do so just kind of hang around just for the sake that they should be main heros (though they are not in anime, Anes is).
Even if it did last a bit to long, i still think it was done nicely, and i very much enjoyed Agnes' back story.

Its not that the war isn't important, its just that the characters are more important. If we were shown the war instead of Agnes' backstory --- then it wouldn't really be ZnT anymore, we'd just have a bunch of fight scenes day in and day out. Sure they could go somewhere with that, though i'd rather watch it as it is now.

Also with the high animation from this episode, i hope for some more Hax Saito towards the end of this season.
Old 2007-09-04, 06:22   Link #37
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

That was actually pretty good. Sure, it was predictable, and I'm not going to argue it wasn't trite compared to the novels (since I haven't read them), but this is the best ZnT (the anime) has done at portraying genuine drama in either series. But, this is how it should be done... if they're going to do drama, they should devote an entire episode to it rather than interspersing comic relief throughout as they were in previous episodes. I'm not willing to forgive all of this sequel's flaws on the back of just this episode, but I do consider it a highlight in the overall scheme of things, and I don't think I'd have complained as much if we had this sort of stuff earlier in the series.

Agnes' arc didn't have to take this many episodes, though.

And to echo what others have said of the war, you'd be willing to forgive anyone who forgot that there was supposed to be a war in this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I don't know if it can be considered as the worst (as Nanoha strikers is a utter fail in term of sequel too). But like I and Darknemo said, the war is completely unexistent.
I'd say StrikerS is much worse than this, but that's because I'm at least somewhat partial towards a few of ZnT's characters. But StrikerS is one of the most soulless anime I've seen. Although, I have only seen what's been subbed, and reports state that it gets better... but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 2007-09-04, 06:43   Link #38
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I knew Colbert was involved in the incident 20 years ago but i had no clue he was the one that actually caused it that a surprise in its self but for them to actually kill him blew me away. I guess you say his death in saving Anies one more time was his peance for his deeds in the past. I think the letter that he sent to Saito was very important. We all see how Saito gets when he is protecting Louise and with his power it would be very easy for him to go over the deep end. Im glad that he didnt put dont kill ever, because they are in a state of war if it came down to it Seito might have to kill an enemy to save either him self or Louise. HOwever saying dont make a habit of it was perfect. You can never take back someones death thats something you live with all your days. Seeing Seito and Louise crying on each others shoulders was a perfect way to end it. Hopefully i hope this is the end of story about Anies because as much as i kind of like her character he story is very uninteresting and just dragging maybe we will get back on the main story now
Old 2007-09-04, 07:36   Link #39
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Well, his involvement to that extent wasn't a surprise to me after the gross foreshadowing of the last episode. Ya just knew it had to be BAD.... His death kinda reminded me of the death of a character in The Hunt for Red October (movie version) when Vassily dies, saying, "I would have liked to have seen Montana."

Anyway... Snowy Alps next! ^_^ SNOOOOOOOW! Man, I'd love to see some of that now. It's too damn hot here in Pennsylvania right now.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2007-09-04, 10:31   Link #40
cyw1988
Japaholic

Send a message via MSN to cyw1988
Well... everyone has already mentioned what I wanted to mention so I wouldn't go too deeply into that. This ep was at least better than the previous few. The series sorta went downhill from ep 5 onwards(I still considered the Saito X Louise boat scene to be acceptable). Next ep, the snowy alps. I dunno why but the setting seem to seriously remind me of that episode in the anime Gatekeepers where Ruri and Ukiya met Yukino in the snow. Well, I am hoping that the series will end on a better note. But with 3 episodes to go, can the producers do it?
Closed Thread