AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-17, 23:14   Link #41
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
I don't know about complaining about GONZO, but the art certainly looks crisp enough to catch my attention. The premises seem promising, too...Especially if it's a novel adaptation and it's fantasy.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 02:51   Link #42
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
I don't know about complaining about GONZO, but the art certainly looks crisp enough to catch my attention. The premises seem promising, too...Especially if it's a novel adaptation and it's fantasy.
GONZO is always fairly crisp and edgy with their stuff. If they have a major weakness its that the stuff they license from light novels and manga is of such great length that they have to come up with their own ending. Usually its vastly different, but not necessarily poor. I'm not really sure why they get a bad rap, they must have done something REALLY popular a long way back and not been able to do the intended ending. Oh that and they did whats it there um.... Kiddy Grade, which is pretty messy plotwise, thought the new movie trilogy is supposed to fix that so that the second series is possible. Anyway that's Gonzo.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 08:24   Link #43
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
Spoiler for lingerie:
Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny influence?

Super sweet!
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 10:45   Link #44
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

With all the GONZO dissing, I did a little search to find what the studio produced, and what do I find?

Full metal panic, GANTZ, Basilisk, Kaleido Star, Hellsing, Solty Rei, Vandread and so on.

Can someone please tell me why it is such a bad thing that the studio who brought these great shows gets to do Kaze no Stigma? Because I quite honestly fail to see anything but good points.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 12:01   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
With all the GONZO dissing, I did a little search to find what the studio produced, and what do I find?

Full metal panic, GANTZ, Basilisk, Kaleido Star, Hellsing, Solty Rei, Vandread and so on.

Can someone please tell me why it is such a bad thing that the studio who brought these great shows gets to do Kaze no Stigma? Because I quite honestly fail to see anything but good points.
I told ya, somewhere along the line they did an adaptation of something that they may have had to do a closed ending for that went on far longer in the manga. Let me check their database.... Hey Macross 7 Dynamite no way....hmmm anyway it might have been Gantz (Mind****), the Densha Otoko Live Movie (Serious stuff Densha Otoko), or SaiKano (Loli blows up the world ). Really I see little but good points too so I really don't know why they are so unpopular. Rumour has it they change a lot of their adapations around, but does it really matter when the end result is just as good.
Old 2007-03-19, 14:50   Link #46
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The only real flaw I've seen is Chrno Crusade, and even that is a matter of opinion, but you can't expect a studio to always deliver perfect stuff. The good outweights the bad by far!

Me? I'm also happy that GONZO took it, if the animation is going to be anything like the other jewels, it's going to be eye candy all over. Story? Meh, they didn't screw up Full Metal Panic, did they? Think positive people!
Old 2007-03-19, 15:18   Link #47
ZODDGUTS

Gonzo has had it's up and downs.

They've done good but they've done bad too. Hellsing (last part of the series was crap), Final Fantasy: Unlimited, Gravion, Samurai Girl Real Bout High School, Trinity Blood (very shallow) , Speed Grapher (started out great then the animation went down the craphole and the show became monster of the week type of show), and Burst Angel (another shallow series).

Gonzo also tends to make it's own endings but that's due to the manga of their adaption not being finished see Gantz/Hellsing/Chrono Crusade and not many people are pleased with that lol even the manga-ka of Hellsing wouldn't allow Gonzo to do a 2nd season because he hated how they made up the final arc in the Hellsing TV series can't blame him though it was crap. And they seem a bit inconsistent with their animation from looking great too medicore too great again then too medicore again.

Which is one of reasons why I'm REALLY worried with the adaption of Bokurano that manga isn't finished either, nor all the characters story arcs have been told. Gonzo will make it's own ending and I'm hoping that it won't suck.

Just stating as to why people are a bit hesistant when it comes with Gonzo's work.

I am looking forward to this series just a bit hesistant this is Gonzo after all...

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2007-03-19 at 18:07.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 16:47   Link #48
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Okay, I can understand your concern (though I personally disagree on the Hellsing part, but I never read the manga to compare) but most people talk about GONZO as if its a sure thing they'll screw it up, while GONZO made a lot of good series as wel.
Old 2007-03-19, 17:02   Link #49
Honey_and_Cleaver

Well theres good and bads. In some peoples point of view and taste. Animes like Burst Angel(It rocks!),Hellsing or Trinity Blood can suck but somewhere else, not me. I dont see a point in creating an exact replica of a manga, its just boring to watch a repeat all over again. A little change little here and there would be much interesting and the change is ought to be good.

Take for instance, Gankatsuo, theres no point in making the exact thing from the book of Monte Cristo. It should have different styles compromising according to the seiyuu's character or the director's opinion, like that theres something to not expect, theres where the thrills are. I loved how they changed Rozen Maiden though.

One thing about GONZO though. They tend to choose very good Seiyuu's for their animes. Thats one A for them.
Old 2007-03-19, 20:41   Link #50
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Oh that and they did whats it there um.... Kiddy Grade, which is pretty messy plotwise
Going a bit offtopic, I thought Kiddy Grade's storyline was pretty good, and the show could've been extremely good if it weren't for Keiji Gotoh's absurdly pathetic directing skills. And, with the prospect of the movies and the sequel being directed by him again, I've got very low expectations on it.

Other than that, what bothers me more about GONZO is its erratic budget for some shows. Watch episodes 9 to 17 of Last Exile and suffer the pain. I've also seen it in a couple of shows more, like NHK ni Youkoso! and Solty Rei. Even Gankutsuou had its low budget points.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 20:52   Link #51
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Going a bit offtopic, I thought Kiddy Grade's storyline was pretty good, and the show could've been extremely good if it weren't for Keiji Gotoh's absurdly pathetic directing skills. And, with the prospect of the movies and the sequel being directed by him again, I've got very low expectations on it.

Other than that, what bothers me more about GONZO is its erratic budget for some shows. Watch episodes 9 to 17 of Last Exile and suffer the pain. I've also seen it in a couple of shows more, like NHK ni Youkoso! and Solty Rei. Even Gankutsuou had its low budget points.
Oh right the Yashigani episode of NHK where they are meeting with the Inchou in her house and everybody is missing detail and each movement looks like its done with like 5 frames of animation total. I hope that doesn't happen here. It worries me that it happens with Solty Rei because I'm interested in seeing that. Okay and finally, aren't the Kiddy Grade movies supposed to fix the plot holes and contradictions by compressing it down into a tighter storyline that doesn't feel like a timeline with 2 or more seperate sets of facts happening at the same time.

Yes the one thing you get with studios this big is that the quality can often vary quite drastically when its passed around between different teams like a game of broken telephone line. (schoolyard game simulating the deterioration of an original message as it passes from messenger to messenger, like long distance telephone lines in the old days)
Old 2007-03-19, 20:57   Link #52
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Oh right the Yashigani episode of NHK where they are meeting with the Inchou in her house and everybody is missing detail and each movement looks like its done with like 5 frames of animation total.
I thought episode 4 (the "Sacred Land" outing episode) had some of the worst key animation I saw in my entire life. I don't remember very well that episode you mention, though. Guess I need to review the series >.>

Quote:
Okay and finally, aren't the Kiddy Grade movies supposed to fix the plot holes and contradictions by compressing it down into a tighter storyline that doesn't feel like a timeline with 2 or more seperate sets of facts happening at the same time.
But then again, I wasn't bothered by the storyline, it seemed quite consistent by itself (anyways I watched it only once and a very long time ago, I was younger back then so who knows). But Gotoh's stupid pacing got me on my nerves.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 14:24   Link #53
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
I thought episode 4 (the "Sacred Land" outing episode) had some of the worst key animation I saw in my entire life. I don't remember very well that episode you mention, though. Guess I need to review the series >.>
Ive seen that similiar animation on Samurai 7 where Shichiroji was dancing with the geishas, cant recall that episode. I think its the same animator from Konozume(cant recall that name properly).

Its said that hes a highly skilled animator in body movements, i think he came and did some work for the scenes for Samurai Champloo. While focusing in the movements, the art makes the face becomes more sketchy, wheres the nose is just a simple line and the eyes become less shiny and the borders become much rougher.

That episode had lots of body movements, so i think they brought up that artstyle just for fun.
Old 2007-03-21, 17:52   Link #54
ZODDGUTS

Speed Grapher had pretty horrible animation even by Gonzo standards. The last several episodes of Hellsing were fairly weak as well.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 21:58   Link #55
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Since it's Gonzo, I'll watch the first eight or so episodes, be wowed by the writing and animation, and then drop the show. The rest of the series will be finished by reading anime blogs...

From what I got reading the websites and pictures, this seems to be the plot:

Kazuma was born in the fire-user tribe, but lost to Ayano when he was 18 years old, and her 12, over control of the legendary sword of the tribe. Banished to a foreign country, he contracted with the spirit of the wind, becoming the only wind user in the world.
But when he returns to his native country four years later, there are coincidentally a spate of murders within the fire-user tribe, and Kazuma is accused of the crimes. Is he, who has a grudge against the fire tribe, guilty? He certainly has the motive...

Sounds like it'll come out of the gate roaring.

EDIT:
Japanese wikipedia says the main character is a 極度の皮肉屋. (translation: incredibly sarcastic person).

Last edited by Eleutheria; 2007-03-22 at 22:42.
Eleutheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 13:56   Link #56
Honey_and_Cleaver

http://pc.webnt.jp/stigma/

Pictures of some of the anime is out. Incredibly cool Kazuma Yagami standing on the building by the city lights.

Awesome!
Old 2007-03-23, 14:00   Link #57
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria View Post
Since it's Gonzo, I'll watch the first eight or so episodes, be wowed by the writing and animation, and then drop the show. The rest of the series will be finished by reading anime blogs...

From what I got reading the websites and pictures, this seems to be the plot:

Kazuma was born in the fire-user tribe, but lost to Ayano when he was 18 years old, and her 12, over control of the legendary sword of the tribe. Banished to a foreign country, he contracted with the spirit of the wind, becoming the only wind user in the world.
But when he returns to his native country four years later, there are coincidentally a spate of murders within the fire-user tribe, and Kazuma is accused of the crimes. Is he, who has a grudge against the fire tribe, guilty? He certainly has the motive...

Sounds like it'll come out of the gate roaring.

EDIT:
Japanese wikipedia says the main character is a 極度の皮肉屋. (translation: incredibly sarcastic person).
See there it is. Though I assume this one is a joke, then again that's usually about the time the mid-series budget drop kicks in and episodes are outsourced to other companies causing animation glitches and divergent writing compared to the source material. Not that it bothers me terribly as the original material is usually fine, but for fans of a novel series it can be a huge slap in the face. Seems a bit extreme, but then again I've done the same thing with Kanon, so who am I to talk.
Old 2007-03-23, 14:04   Link #58
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
Incredibly cool Kazuma Yagami standing on the building by the city lights.

Awesome!
Indeed. I was already expecting this one to be one hell of a series --- and i'm glad to say that those images are making my original idea much stronger. Can't wait to see this one in action.
Old 2007-03-23, 15:44   Link #59
NeoSam

Hmm did they update the character relationship image ? anyway with that many cute bishoujos in that image, I'm definitely watching this

Hmm hopefully that mysterious character is also a bishoujo (lol).

This could turn out to be a great shounen light novel/anime
Old 2007-03-23, 21:20   Link #60
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
We ALWAYS have a masked man every year, don't we?
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen