AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 17
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 17 14.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 34 29.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 37 32.46%
7 out of 10 : Good... 17 14.91%
6 out of 10 : Average... 5 4.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 1 0.88%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-27, 17:15   Link #41
Solafighter
Hige

Great episode.

My new laptop wallpaper.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-10-27, 17:19   Link #42
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
She didn't recognize him. Anime art style in general does a poor job of depicting it, but Kirito's ALO avatar is not identical to his real world face.
Well, and as was said, there's no reason to assume anyone would look like their real life self online either, given that she doesn't look like her real life self in the game. So even if his avatar looks like her real life brother, it could be anyone.

(In this game, there isn't even any guarantee that people are playing their own gender, given that Kirito had to choose in gender last episode when creating his character. I guess they must have a voice altering feature too, or else people wouldn't have been surprised when the genders were revealed by the Mirror in SAO. So neither appearance nor voice will be give-aways in the game, even though it's obvious to us.)
Old 2012-10-27, 17:39   Link #43
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, and as was said, there's no reason to assume anyone would look like their real life self online either, given that she doesn't look like her real life self in the game. So even if his avatar looks like her real life brother, it could be anyone.

(In this game, there isn't even any guarantee that people are playing their own gender, given that Kirito had to choose in gender last episode when creating his character. I guess they must have a voice altering feature too, or else people wouldn't have been surprised when the genders were revealed by the Mirror in SAO. So neither appearance nor voice will be give-aways in the game, even though it's obvious to us.)
If a male chose a female avatar, he'd be like Mariandale from Ixion Saga DT?

Now that you mention it, the guys turned girls in Ep.1 had female voices before transformation, so there were voice altering features. I doubt Kayaba got a wide range of samples, so everyone in the game is talking in the same voice?
Old 2012-10-27, 17:46   Link #44
GundamZZ
残念美人

The naming convention is making the sense now. The show makes the reference to Shakespeare's work, A Midsummer Night's Dream. Titania is a fairy queen in the play. By Oberon's cruel joke, she falls in love with a donkey man. I thought I knew all about it since my high school class. Apparently, there's still something new. ALO avoids Tolkien reference. Instead, it uses Shakespeare reference. Per Shakespeare reference, fairy is equivalent to elf. Per Tolkien reference, the usage fairy is avoided. According to Wikipedia, Tolkien avoided it due to some disturbing reference. It doesn't stop anime fans from teasing the show has “Fairy of Forest” (森の妖精 or “Mori no Yousei”) element.

The second joke about the show is NTR element. Apparently, Kirito is having the backup plan. That's why he's flirting with a fairy whose nutrient is as big as her head. The downside is it kinda degraded Kirito as a worthy man for Asuna.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 17:48   Link #45
Green˛
It's bacon!

They have a Alf class of characters we learn this episode. Other than being able to get really high, you can bet that the other special ability naturally has to involve eating lots of pussy.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Green˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 17:54   Link #46
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I can't say this new arc is all that entertaining thus far. After the tribulations of SAO, the lack of suspense is almost laughable. I'm not particularly saying that Kirito should have went from one death game to another death game, but the scenario on display in ALo feels a heck of a lot different than SAO. In SAO, it felt like something was at stake, and it was; their very lives. I feel that thousands of peoples lives have far more reach in terms of empathy than Asuna's life by itself. Once I saw how cocky Kirito was, I just felt an sense of disgust (=_= ). I can't but help but correlate how he smirked at taking out those red guys to when he killed Kuradeel. The way he felt at the latter, becoming a murderer, really made me empathize his oh-so-perfect character. The former made me think of him as bullying the weak =02.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 18:02   Link #47
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

It looks to me like Kirito is downright ecstatic to be playing a video game again. To posture like that and play the hero in a setting where you no longer have to worry about your actions potentially endangering the lives of yourself or others must be an amazing relief.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 18:03   Link #48
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I can't but help but correlate how he smirked at taking out those red guys to when he killed Kuradeel. The way he felt at the latter, becoming a murderer, really made me empathize his oh-so-perfect character. The former made me think of him as bullying the weak =02.
That's kind of a totally different matter. This is a game where "death" is just part of the normal mechanics. There's a penalty, but there's absolutely no stigma with killing someone -- it's just like beating someone at any other sport. You don't feel guilty about fragging someone in a multiplayer FPS, or whatever. And besides, Kirito and Lyfa were the ones being threatened in the first place -- they'd have been "killed" if it weren't the other way around. That's just the nature of the game.

There is still something at stake in the lives of Asuna and the rest of the 300 prisoners, but sure -- this is a totally different kind of game, since "death" is more of an annoyance than a real problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
It looks to me like Kirito is downright ecstatic to be playing a video game again. To posture like that and play the hero in a setting where you no longer have to worry about your actions potentially endangering the lives of yourself or others must be an amazing relief.
Yeah, I agree with this. SAO was a game... but it really wasn't a game, given the stakes. This is what all the SAO players expected when they logged-in, but never got. But of course, it's a completely different experience.
Old 2012-10-27, 18:17   Link #49
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Yeah, this is why I can't really bring myself to hate him so much. If Kabaya made NerveGear and SAO just to create the fantasy world in his head, then Sugou is doing basically the same: it's almost like he's just living out his fantasy of being a villain. (The whole Oberon/Titania thing being a prime example of this.) If I didn't know better, with the way he's spilling secrets left, right, and center (and standing to the side to make sure that Asuna could see him entering the "secret code" ), I'd almost say that he wants the hero to come defeat him and rescue the "princess", just so that this little play of his can reach its foreseen end. So I really can't take him seriously; I almost see the whole thing as a parody, whether it really is or it isn't. Meanwhile, everything else that's going on is where the fun is for me.
We defintely know sugou never read the 100 Rules for a Successful Evil Overlord.
Old 2012-10-27, 18:24   Link #50
Divini
Senpai!

Enjoyable episode. Got to see ALO magic and HUD for the first time. Suguha and Yui are as adorable as ever.

... and then they decided to animate every single detail of Sugou feeling up Asuna. That was even more rage-inducing than how I imagined it from the novel. Though because of that, I'll admit it's very well done.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 18:30   Link #51
GDB

Quote:
and standing to the side to make sure that Asuna could see him entering the "secret code"
To be fair, it seems he's done something to her sensory system so she can't see the keypad. It still wouldn't surprise me if he taunts her with it too many times and she memorizes his hand movements, but still.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 18:51   Link #52
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
To be fair, it seems he's done something to her sensory system so she can't see the keypad. It still wouldn't surprise me if he taunts her with it too many times and she memorizes his hand movements, but still.
I interpreted that as though the resolution of the graphics in the game have a certain limitation, and she's a long ways away so she's straining as much as she can to decipher something happening in the distance. (This is similar to how the zoomed-in photo of her looked.) But yeah, it was a bit unclear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
We defintely know sugou never read the 100 Rules for a Successful Evil Overlord.
That's for sure. Just keeping her in such a visible location was a red flag from the get-go. (By the way, enjoyed the list. )
Old 2012-10-27, 19:14   Link #53
Vmem

Gave the episode an 8, was a bit surprised that so many others did the same lol.

I find it hard to believe that the name Kirito isn't an online legend by now, I suppose the government and Kazuto himself covered it up well, even from Sugu lol.

That aside, the whole knight saves the princess theme is getting a bit old. It was enjoyable to watch Kirito fight, but in the end the level of his opponents abilities makes the fights a bit too one-sided

oh well, all in all it seems there'll be a lot of exciting things in future episodes
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 19:17   Link #54
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I interpreted that as though the resolution of the graphics in the game have a certain limitation, and she's a long ways away so she's straining as much as she can to decipher something happening in the distance. (This is similar to how the zoomed-in photo of her looked.) But yeah, it was a bit unclear.
If the graphics were that crappy for everyone and everything, it'd break the immersion. Besides, what was around the keypad after a certain disance looked fine.

Though I don't know why he bothers with a keypad at all. It should either be a menu command, or a key item.

Another point is that Asuna did see - roughly - what moves he made to enter the code. And she's got nothing but time.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 19:19   Link #55
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Though I don't know why he bothers with a keypad at all. It should either be a menu command, or a key item.
Probably to break her spirit. The exit is right there. The way to open it is right there. Yet she's powerless to do anything about it.

Until she does something about it, as I surmise she will. Seriously, this bad guy is a sadistic idiot. Just alter her memories and get on with your life already.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 19:21   Link #56
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
This is just perfect for this arc. Or any fantasy fiction that is. XD

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL

Last edited by Netto Azure; 2012-10-27 at 19:36.
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 19:21   Link #57
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmem View Post
Gave the episode an 8, was a bit surprised that so many others did the same lol.

I find it hard to believe that the name Kirito isn't an online legend by now, I suppose the government and Kazuto himself covered it up well, even from Sugu lol.

That aside, the whole knight saves the princess theme is getting a bit old. It was enjoyable to watch Kirito fight, but in the end the level of his opponents abilities makes the fights a bit too one-sided

oh well, all in all it seems there'll be a lot of exciting things in future episodes
it is been explain already. Kirito in ALO is written differently then in SAO.
Old 2012-10-27, 19:26   Link #58
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
it is been explain already. Kirito in ALO is written differently then in SAO.
But that isn't the case in the anime. Kirito in ALO is written exactly the same as in SAO, in the anime.

Spoiler for Comparison to what people said about the novels:
Old 2012-10-27, 19:28   Link #59
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Furthermore back in episode 15 we saw that Kirito's identity was likely kept hidden. Sugou called him the hero Kirito, and Mr. Yuuki chastised him for it since that's supposed to be under wraps.
Old 2012-10-27, 19:36   Link #60
Dark Wing

Well selling mind control technology to the highest bidder my not be a very original idea but i guess it is a hell of a lot better then Kayaba Akihiko motives...