AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-04, 14:04   Link #41
marvelB

Yep, Whitebeard was definitely full of awesome quotes this chapter:

Quote:
Whitebeard: Is that what Akainu said...
I know how much you hate Roger... I know it painfully well...
But Squad, blaiming the sins of a parent on the child is foolish... what did Ace ever do to you?
Get along with him... Ace isn't any more special than the rest... you are all my family!!

Quote:
Whitebeard: "A wealking" huh...? Say whatever you want, but give me a break croc brat...!
I'm still just a man... with one heart.
They may call me a demon and a monster, but I can't stay the most powerful man forever!!
If I save the future of one young life, I should be allowed to retire from this, no?
Ace: Pops.....

Whitebeard: Anyone coming with me... throw your life down with me, and follow me!!

Heh, maybe Whitebeard will cause a super-quake that will create erupting volcanoes next chapter......
Old 2009-11-04, 14:05   Link #42
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMASHERJACKSON View Post
my prediction for how WB will die -

Wb & Co will take the upperhand perhaps even freeing ace, in desperation sengoku will order the execution of Ace possibly via the 3 admirals - perhaos croc too - at which point WB will take the blow instead

though i expect to see squadro try to redeem himself during the remainder of this arc too.

w/e happens that final speech was awesome
Wb already gave a speech before he jump off the ship and it was bad ass.
Man i am really liking WB right now , to bad he has to die soon.
Old 2009-11-04, 14:09   Link #43
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Wb already gave a speech before he jump off the ship and it was bad ass.
Man i am really liking WB right now , to bad he has to die soon.
..."w/e happens that final speech was awesome"...
Old 2009-11-04, 14:23   Link #44
marvelB

On a somewhat unrelated note, Greg of AP forums recently pointed out that Oda mentioned a former enemy of Luffy's would become his partner and head to the New World with him. If that's true, then I'd say that Buggy or Bon Clay would be the top candidates (Hancock and Jinbei were never really enemies, after all). I dunno about Crocoboy, since he's a distrustful bastard who'd sooner kill a would-be partner than join with them (just look at what happened with Doflamingo). However, I'd still sorta exclude Buggy since signs are already pointing towards him becoming his own beast. So... I'd say that Bon Clay's the best bet (I highly doubt that Magellan actually killed him, anyway)......
Old 2009-11-04, 14:29   Link #45
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
On a somewhat unrelated note, Greg of AP forums recently pointed out that Oda mentioned a former enemy of Luffy's would become his partner and head to the New World with him. If that's true, then I'd say that Buggy or Bon Clay would be the top candidates (Hancock and Jinbei were never really enemies, after all). I dunno about Crocoboy, since he's a distrustful bastard who'd sooner kill a would-be partner than join with them (just look at what happened with Doflamingo). However, I'd still sorta exclude Buggy since signs are already pointing towards him becoming his own beast. So... I'd say that Bon Clay's the best bet (I highly doubt that Magellan actually killed him, anyway)......
Don't forget about Perona. Hancock did start off hostile to Luffy, she had him fight her sisters.

Buggy is likely to run off with Ace or even the Revolutionaries.

Perona is likely to join too. She was lonely on that island until Zoro arrived. She'll probably tag along as the rest of the crew meets up.
Old 2009-11-04, 14:48   Link #46
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

This chapter is all kinds of awesomeness. Great speech by WB.
So WB took Squardo in after his crew had been wiped out by Roger.

Although its understandable he'd despise Roger, but what did he expect? He's a pirate, he challenged Roger and got beat and his crew wiped out. Thats the life of a Pirate

All Buggy's been frozen, but I'll be expecting Marco will come along any moment and melt the Ice away.

I can't wait for the next chapter. The Marines are pissin themselves with fear now that Whitebeard has taken to the battlefield. One can only imagine how powerful WB would have been in his prime, its a scary thought

Akainu vs Whitebeard, this is a battle that must happen.
Old 2009-11-04, 14:55   Link #47
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Don't forget about Perona. Hancock did start off hostile to Luffy, she had him fight her sisters.

Buggy is likely to run off with Ace or even the Revolutionaries.

Perona is likely to join too. She was lonely on that island until Zoro arrived. She'll probably tag along as the rest of the crew meets up.
I agree with MarvelB that Buggy seems like a bit of a long shot, if for no other reason than he is becoming legendary in his own right. And, I have some apprehension with Hancock joining - Sanji would be turned to stone every day (unless the special training he received on Okama Island made him immune to women's charm...) So, Perona seems like a good guess (especially since it finally gives Usopp an admirer...)
Old 2009-11-04, 15:18   Link #48
longnose-kun

Perona doesn't have any real fighting skils though. All she has to do is use her negative hollows and that will defeat the enemy. i know she used all of those other mover against Usopp, but she won't have to because her hollows will work anyway. plus, she was perfectly happy in thriller bark crew, but boroqe works were all separate, so i feel Bon Clay will be the better choice. I'm pulling for buggy, though as he is my favorite villain.
Old 2009-11-04, 15:54   Link #49
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I don't see how it's bad writing. Squado had a grudge against Roger, and the marines used that to their advantage. Squado considered Whitebeard to be a traitor because Akainu deceived him into thinking that the old man held the life of his sworn enemy's son in higher regard than any of his NW allies. It just goes to show that Squado's hatred for Roger was stronger than his loyalty to Whitebeard, and his emotions ended up helping the marines turn the tides in their favor. As I said before, this is psychological warfare. It may seem dirty and cheap, but it had its desired effect. Besides, the marines can't really afford to play fair when they're up against some of the strongest pirates in the world.......
You can try to rationalize it up to a point, but that doesn't make the fact he fell for it any easier to believe imo. For one thing, he should know full well that WB would never do anything like this. And worse, he trusted the marines in favor of WB. He should have been suspicious that they 1) conveniently managed to contact him 2) why would they leak information to him about their own deal 3) the marines are unlikely to make such a deal to begin with (just like WB wouldn't).

I would have preferred it if Squado found out about Ace being Roger's son somewhere in the past, and his hatred for Roger made him resent Ace until the order to rescue Ace made him turn against WB. But not triggered by this farfetched story about a deal between WB and the marines, that he never should have believed at all.
Old 2009-11-04, 16:09   Link #50
Rainbowman

Would have posted earlier if I hadn't had problems with the computer I was using. Here are my reviews:

Squado mentioning his reason for stabbing Whitebeard. Having something to do with Akainu mentioning Whitebeard's deal with Sengoku. Then we go into Squado's past and then Marco's past. I can't believe Sengoku planned to put distrust among the NW captains. It was quite effective.
Old 2009-11-04, 16:09   Link #51
p-kun

I hope WB's speech this chapter about all sons being equal means that Sengoku's speech about WB wanting to make Ace the pirate king a complete lie.

I hated the idea of a greenhorn like Ace succeeding WB, when there are more experienced crew like Marco around. I hated it with passion.
Old 2009-11-04, 16:22   Link #52
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
I hope WB's speech this chapter about all sons being equal means that Sengoku's speech about WB wanting to make Ace the pirate king a complete lie.

I hated the idea of a greenhorn like Ace succeeding WB, when there are more experienced crew like Marco around. I hated it with passion.
So? Its the best man for the job, not the most experienced.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2009-11-04, 17:31   Link #53
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I was wrong. I have never thought that the WG would be this dirty in their attempts to stop Whitebeard. Since Aokiji froze Buggy and the rest, I don't know if that part will make it to the rest of the world, but hopefully it will. And hopefully WG will suffer the worst damage they had ever felt since the crimes they committed hundreds of years ago.

Another interesting thing is Akainu is doing the dirty work as usual. I guess this also tells something about the Vice Admirals and their personalities. And, the waste of the phrase, Government dogs, by using it for the Shichibukai.

Anyway. Whitebeard will definitely die before this arc ends. There is no question on this anymore. And the way he dies, in terms of the results, will get closer to how Roger died, in terms of strengthening the flames of the young ones. I guess next chapter will be an extremely emotional chapter, showing the response of the pirates to Whitebeard's words and actions. (And I won't be surprised if he actually dies while saving not Ace's but Luffy's life)
Old 2009-11-04, 17:33   Link #54
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
He should have been suspicious that they 1) conveniently managed to contact him 2) why would they leak information to him about their own deal
Akainu clearly states that he wants Whitebeard to fall, and that he doesn't care about the NW Captains. And since Akainu is seen as something of a proponent of an "Absolute Justice" ideology, Akainu would the one most disgusted with the WG potentially dealing with Whitebeard instead of killing him. That being said, it wasn't just the fact that Akainu contacted him, but rather the fact that he gave a specific outline of how the assault would play out, something that could potentially only be known if the assault was planned out in advance (or there is someone that is a superior strategist ...this is Squado's biggest mistake, not realizing that someone like Sengoku could have deliberately sacrificed his own forces during an initial encounter with Whitebeard, just so that Sengoku could have sprung a trap later on, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
3) the marines are unlikely to make such a deal to begin with (just like WB wouldn't).
The Marines work for the WG, and the WG likes to keep pirate as pets (called the Shichibukai)...so why couldn't the WG make such a deal with Whitebeard? As for believing that Whitebeard could have betrayed him and his men, well that is a little harder to explain. I agree that the explanation Squado provides only really makes sense if you can understand the betrayal that Squado must have felt toward Whitebeard for potentially siding with Roger's son. But, I agree that this betrayal is not (yet) adequately explained. Maybe there will be a flashback in the chapter to help convey the emotional gravity of the situation; otherwise the lack of trust for Whitebeard seems a little simplistic, even if Squado did believe Akainu's words.

Then again, maybe Squado really didn't believe that he would actually strike Whitebeard, so the attack was supposed to be a way of confirming the situation (i.e. Squado attacks, Whitebeard dodges, then they talk...but that is not how it played out).
Old 2009-11-04, 17:41   Link #55
SMASHERJACKSON

tell you what guys its about time the marines suffered some defeats on there side, preferably in the manner that oars jr did!

as for squadros betrayal, consider the fact that in the heat of the battle watching his men die he mite hav had a error in logic due to emotions running high, if this scenario shows the darker side of any1 its gotta be the marines more so then any1 else.
Old 2009-11-04, 17:45   Link #56
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I agree that the explanation Squado provides only really makes sense if you can understand the betrayal that Squado must have felt toward Whitebeard for potentially siding with Roger's son. But, I agree that this betrayal is not (yet) adequately explained. Maybe there will be a flashback in the chapter to help convey the emotional gravity of the situation; otherwise the lack of trust for Whitebeard seems a little simplistic, even if Squado did believe Akainu's words.
I don't know. I think the explanation covers what we had seen so far. WG used Squado's personality (hatred, envy) to their advantage. Even though Squado may not have believed what he was told at the beginning, during the course of the fight, with Sengoku's words and orders, Whitebeard's response, and the resulting entrapment, it all helped solidify the suspicions he had for Whitebeard.

That may be Sengoku's main plan, to shake the support Whitebeard had with the captains following him, and weaken him at the same time. But, Crocoboy's cry may tell a lot in this situation. Even weakened, he is still the strongest pirate, with all the qualities needed to shake away all of these stains.
Old 2009-11-04, 17:53   Link #57
p-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
So? Its the best man for the job, not the most experienced.
Has Ace ever proved that he's the best man? Looking at the current situation, where he's the "damsel in distress", definitely no.
Old 2009-11-04, 18:58   Link #58
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
Has Ace ever proved that he's the best man? Looking at the current situation, where he's the "damsel in distress", definitely no.
And what exactly has Marco proven? We've seen him in exactly one fight, Kizaru kicked him and he kicked him back, that's all that happened. This isn't about current strength, its about potential. None of the big shots in One Piece are worried about Luffy's current strength, Luffy would get utterly owned if he tried to fight one of them. There worried about how strong he has become in such a short period of time especially considering how young he is. It's the same story with Ace, he's only 20 years old. How old do you think Squado is? Or Jozu, or even Marco? Anyone with eyes can tell that its only a matter of time before he passes those guys up, if he hasn't already.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2009-11-04, 19:10   Link #59
sjaako

Well played sengoku, well played.

The chapter sounds awesome but i am a bit disappointed because Roger was sick and now WhiteBeard is also sick/old. I really wanted to see WhiteBeard at his best vs the WG.
I wanted to see the great pirate WhiteBeard at full strength going all out.

Whitebeard: Anyone coming with me… throw your life down with me, and follow me!!
Everyone: Uooooo!! Let’s go!!
Whitebeard comes down from the ship, and heads to the enemies.

So WhiteBeard is going in !
Old 2009-11-04, 19:36   Link #60
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Some of you are being a little hypocritical here. The marines are living in a world infested with devious pirates who play by no rules/fairness, and yet you guys accuse the marines as being treacherous, cheap bastards? Pirates can get away with this kind of behaviour and the marines can't? Come on now. It's just like the saying, "fight fire with fire." This was by no means a cheap shot.