AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-23, 09:24   Link #1
theanimedude

Send a message via AIM to theanimedude Send a message via Yahoo to theanimedude
internet not working!! please help!

ok, my friends computer is networked through a lynksus router. And suddenly, his dsl internet stops working, BUT the other computer still has DSL connection. I've tried to call the techsupport for them, they have verizon. He tried to help me. what he did was.....delete all the network adapters in there and then made me restart the computer so then it would load up everything again. that didnt work. And so he told me that there is something seriously wrong with the network configurations. When i go to CMD -> ipconfig the IP addresse it like 169.??.?? and he said that it's bad or something. Any ideas on how to fix??? When i try to open internet explorer, it says that it cant open search page. I tried system restore, and theres no point saved.
theanimedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-23, 09:28   Link #2
theanimedude

oh yeah, here is the specs for his computer.

1.3 Pentium 4, 384 SDram, ati radeon 9000, um......cd burner and dvd player. It's an HP or something....
Old 2004-12-23, 09:49   Link #3
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
169.something is a private IP address, the standard IP that a computer gives itself when it can not obtain an IP from the router.

Check the connection to the router, it is most likely dead. i'd suggest doing this

1. check if there are any firewalls blocking (all) traffic on the PC
2. if 2 doesnt work, Plug the network cable thats going from the computer to the router into a different port on the router
3. if 2 doesnt work, replace the cable with another one and try again.
4. if 3 doent work either, try using another network card.

if that doesnt work... im out of idea's
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-23, 14:12   Link #4
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

A few more things.
1. What is he doing when he looses connection. If running a lot of network apps like BT, it could be that his NIC is bad or cannot handle the traffic.
2. Check for virus/spyware. Some plug apps into the Winsock.dll which causes the system to lose connection.
3. If they are connected via Wireless, check for signal strength and interference. Also, check encryption.
4. Heat. Some laptops, espcially P4 with internal Wireless cards can heat up causing the system to freeeze and NIC to shutdown. Solution is to reduce encryption and improve the airflow.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 20:10   Link #5
theanimedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
A few more things.
1. What is he doing when he looses connection. If running a lot of network apps like BT, it could be that his NIC is bad or cannot handle the traffic.
2. Check for virus/spyware. Some plug apps into the Winsock.dll which causes the system to lose connection.
3. If they are connected via Wireless, check for signal strength and interference. Also, check encryption.
4. Heat. Some laptops, espcially P4 with internal Wireless cards can heat up causing the system to freeeze and NIC to shutdown. Solution is to reduce encryption and improve the airflow.
lets see.....i think the wire is ok, because when i disconnected it, i hear the sound.......and it's not a wireless. we tried to unplug the power cable and and that didnt work. and for the virus and spyware programs, what do you suggest????