AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-12-28, 10:21   Link #1
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Black Mesa (Half-Life Mod)

Official Site

So a few years ago, some modders set out to work on "retexturing" the original Half-Life to have the graphics and physics of the Half-Life 2 Source engine, and most of us haven't heard from them since...

... until now.

Black Mesa is slated to be released September 14, and it looks awesome

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-09-12 at 12:41.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 01:57   Link #2
Avisch
Reality Blender

I had heard about this years ago.
....The gameplay actually looks abit better than Half-life 2's.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 02:46   Link #3
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Yeah, after the crap that was Half Life: Source... =X
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 07:49   Link #4
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Heard about it year ago.It good to see some modder willing to sacrifice time & resources to produce this mod.Hopefully it turn out good.Oh my,it really got me remember those good old time when I was squash by a big head Alien.
Old 2008-12-29, 22:15   Link #5
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Looks great. I've always wanted a polished up version of Half-Life.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 04:09   Link #6
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Black Mesa Official Site
Community Update Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman2K
On September 14th you will see the first release of Black Mesa! This will include our re-envisioning of Half-Life all the way up to Lambda Core. We believe this is a great way to provide a complete-feeling 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending, make our fans happy and help us make the best overall game possible.

We are still working hard on Xen and BMDM, but instead of making you wait we are giving you Black Mesa as soon as it's ready! We're doing our best to help bring the immense vision of this project into reality, and we are very excited for what the future brings!

OMGWTFBBQa;opigagalknrhalnhioh'aghn'agat-

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-09-02, 05:48   Link #7
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Yay, finally! DDDDDDDDDDDDD
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 10:48   Link #8
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

And BBC reports on the release of Black Mesa

You know it's serious when even the BBC gets in on it.

Old 2012-09-03, 12:21   Link #9
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

That trailer made Gordon even more of a bad ass soldier than the guys in CoD lol.
Old 2012-09-03, 19:53   Link #10
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Ahah the BBC, classic. Always reporting on big gaming news now. WoW, Diablo 3 now this, makes me chuckle
Old 2012-09-05, 22:17   Link #11
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

vote on the Steam Community thing to get the mod green lighted on Steam

September is shaping up to be an awesome month for old games between this and BG.
Old 2012-09-12, 12:39   Link #12
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

And Black Mesa just got greenlit on Steam Greenlight

It's one of 10 games that will be the first to get the green light. Although considering what it is, that shouldn't be surprising

Only 45 hours left!

Old 2012-09-14, 03:57   Link #13
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

5 hours, 49 minutes, 48 secs!
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 10:19   Link #14
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well that... didn't go so well. A coughing start due to overload left the Black Mesa site and its primary mirrors dead in the water. Fortunately, some mirrors survived the onslaught.

Downloading NOW

Old 2012-09-14, 19:52   Link #15
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

As of now, it's working just fine. There's nothing quite like the rush of downloading something this awesome at 4.0 MB/s.
Old 2012-09-15, 04:24   Link #16
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Good times so far. Kinda surprised with how many security guards you can get following you, lol.

Images
Old 2012-09-15, 21:24   Link #17
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Good times so far. Kinda surprised with how many security guards you can get following you, lol.

Images
I read that the game generates faces procedurally now, allowing for a significantly wider range of faces to be rendered. The game is incredible: I especially love the weapon firing and reloading sounds.
Old 2012-09-16, 08:19   Link #18
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Playing Black Mesa feels like meeting an old friend, only to realize that while you still like them, and that they're now easier on the eyes, they now gained a few questionable quirks through the years along with seeing some of their frustrating qualities as they truly are. Stuff like crouch-jumping are as painful as I remember them, and certain puzzles became hair-pulling because of them (that laser mine criss-crossing labyrinth). Some puzzles also got changed along the way inspired by Half-Life 2, but without the subtle tutorial to teach you that said puzzles exist, unlike how Portal or HL2 does it, leading to some situations where my nostalgia-based solution clashed with what I was supposed to do.

Still, despite parts like On A Rail getting truncated lots, the game really is as awesome as I remember it as. Just awaiting Xen so we can complete the saga, and if it looks as beautiful as a preview we see in the game looks, then I'm sure the Xen parts will be quite awesome this time round, depending on how they do it.

Also, this scene made me go when I first encountered it:

YouTube

Old 2012-09-16, 13:02   Link #19
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Playing Black Mesa feels like meeting an old friend, only to realize that while you still like them, and that they're now easier on the eyes, they now gained a few questionable quirks through the years along with seeing some of their frustrating qualities as they truly are. Stuff like crouch-jumping are as painful as I remember them, and certain puzzles became hair-pulling because of them (that laser mine criss-crossing labyrinth). Some puzzles also got changed along the way inspired by Half-Life 2, but without the subtle tutorial to teach you that said puzzles exist, unlike how Portal or HL2 does it, leading to some situations where my nostalgia-based solution clashed with what I was supposed to do.
I got wiped out by some of the new sentry choke points, whereas in the original, you could jump over them without tripping anything. The room with the boxes also became significantly harder. That said, I'm basing my comparison from what I've experienced and the walkthrough videos I've seen on YouTube of the original. Insofar, I find the game to be most enjoyable.

Quote:
Also, this scene made me go when I first encountered it:

YouTube
I think that's one weapon I don't want to ever find or fire. I'll stick to the more conventional weapons, thank you very much
Old 2012-09-17, 09:45   Link #20
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:

Still, despite parts like On A Rail getting truncated lots, the game really is as awesome as I remember it as. Just awaiting Xen so we can complete the saga, and if it looks as beautiful as a preview we see in the game looks, then I'm sure the Xen parts will be quite awesome this time round, depending on how they do it.
So true that.

I'm only on Blast Pit but I heard about the On A Rail part... they also have some other level that is missing some stuff at the end because the person doing it quit during develpoment. And they never said if they will the missing parts back in.

But it's a nice mod. Only things that I don't liked so far was the useless magnum iron sight and the fact that soldiers of an unit that was supposed to fight in hazardous environments don't bother to wear gloves.