Notices

Old 2012-07-22, 22:48   Link #2301
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
^
If fans don't like them, they wouldn't be willing to support them :P
Well yeah, if they didn't like it, they probably wouldn't be a fan, therefore anyone left that buys all of that is a fan. Or rather, worshiper. Nothing easier to squeeze dry than worshipers, after all, hahahahaha.
Though no matter how much I love Pokemon, I refuse to buy those *beep* books to get DW starters
I for one refuse to be suckered into extra payments, as a gamer('s pride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
Beside I consider their marketing genius to actually turn an underground group no one know, with only 8 people in the audience at their first show into a money printing machine.
I have no idea what you are talking about about underground groups and 8 people, because I have never had interest in the real AKB and their history(?), but I can't deny that their marketing is genius, because in reality, they're a success and are raking in lots of money.
Whether I agree with their marketing is a different story though. But well, other than through this anime, I don't plan to use an ounce of thought on the real AKB, so it doesn't really matter in the end.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 00:16   Link #2302
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about about underground groups and 8 people, because I have never had interest in the real AKB and their history(?), but I can't deny that their marketing is genius, because in reality, they're a success and are raking in lots of money.
Whether I agree with their marketing is a different story though. But well, other than through this anime, I don't plan to use an ounce of thought on the real AKB, so it doesn't really matter in the end.
He was talking about the fact the AKB started 6 1/2 years ago as an underground stage show in Akihabara dubbing "Idols that you can meet" (which still holds true now). During their earliest stage, they had as few as 7 customers in the 250 seats AKB theater was that was with the fact that the members sometimes even have has to goes out and handing flyers and free tickets on the street.

And like I said, a lot of their marketing strategies were set by the discussion with their otaku fans at time and most are copying the way ACG industry operates which in turns become how the Japanese music industry operates now.

It's your choice not to buy limited edition, but don't call it a gamer's pride. Because different from you, it's my believe that a true gamer supports the game they love and will "try" to get 100% of everything in that game. At very least they will buy the limited/collected edition of the game they love and not the standard edition.

But I do agree with you that this show surpassed my expectation even with AKB and Macross crew involvement.

I thought this series was going to be just a glitzy feast and a guilty-pleasure level show, but it turns out to be much more. Last time I was this pleasantly surprised about a girls-centric, music/performance based show was when I watched Kaleido Star. Idol Master was good, but it didn't really go that much above my expectation.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:29   Link #2303
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
He was talking about the fact the AKB started 6 1/2 years ago as an underground stage show in Akihabara dubbing "Idols that you can meet" (which still holds true now). During their earliest stage, they had as few as 7 customers in the 250 seats AKB theater was that was with the fact that the members sometimes even have has to goes out and handing flyers and free tickets on the street.

It's your choice not to buy limited edition, but don't call it a gamer's pride. Because different from you, it's my believe that a true gamer supports the game they love and will "try" to get 100% of everything in that game. At very least they will buy the limited/collected edition of the game they love and not the standard edition.
Heh~ Then it is quite an incredible feat then, developing into what it is now.

A fan knows the limit and while loving what they are a fan off, they know when to stop and what is going too far (though this limit is subjective and the wall between fan and worshiper). And of course, is able to criticize what they think is being done wrong. Through that, they can help improve what they like (assuming they are listened too). Did the exact thing with FE (story would get long, so *cut*). Is my idea of a true gamer though.
And limited edition is a bit... rather, quite different from getting "100%"/DLC and extra items though, for gaming. *deletes a paragraph on <--*
Anyways, I'll put this aside. Off-topic. The history of AKB (real) was interesting though.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2012-07-23 at 01:43. Reason: Added a couple of words
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 02:07   Link #2304
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

To be fair undertaker, they could have done something completely budget and cheap and just go for a standard SoL show of shameless Idolmaster style show or just insert their most popular members into an shoujo anime adaptation ala MMPPP or Kirarin Revolution. But instead they went all the way to make their own anime which is a legitimate attempt at Anime. How ironic is it for an idol group to do something rather original by current standards against a lot of standing factors ranging from the cold unreceptive aniota to relying on complete unknowns diving into the genre of anime and in the end earned a good amount of DVD sales for the first volume.

All without latching onto someone's successes (say Madoka for example, they could have at any point made it a dark Idol style anime like Symphogear but they didn't)
Old 2012-07-23, 02:40   Link #2305
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Heh~ Then it is quite an incredible feat then, developing into what it is now.

A fan knows the limit and while loving what they are a fan off, they know when to stop and what is going too far (though this limit is subjective and the wall between fan and worshiper). And of course, is able to criticize what they think is being done wrong. Through that, they can help improve what they like (assuming they are listened too). Did the exact thing with FE (story would get long, so *cut*). Is my idea of a true gamer though.
And limited edition is a bit... rather, quite different from getting "100%"/DLC and extra items though, for gaming. *deletes a paragraph on <--*
Anyways, I'll put this aside. Off-topic. The history of AKB (real) was interesting though.
I do agree with that, but at same time that's not what AKB does with your "DLC" analogy either.

As I said, their format was more of different LE bundles that packs bunch of extra that you usually don't see with other artist's CD single, and they prices them competitively.

It's hard to say they are greedy when for the same money they throw DVD with not just the MV of the single, but MV for C/W songs when other artist could care less about the secondary songs. And instead of buying memorabilia from an unknown source, they randomly throw a photo in as well. Yes, they are randomly inserted but that's no different with the collectible figures or baseball cards.

Same with concert DVD, say it was a three day concert, you can purchase the days separately, or but them in the LE Box and it'll even throw bonus behind the scene DVDs , along with extra photos and books and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
To be fair undertaker, they could have done something completely budget and cheap and just go for a standard SoL show of shameless Idolmaster style show or just insert their most popular members into an shoujo anime adaptation ala MMPPP or Kirarin Revolution. But instead they went all the way to make their own anime which is a legitimate attempt at Anime. How ironic is it for an idol group to do something rather original by current standards against a lot of standing factors ranging from the cold unreceptive aniota to relying on complete unknowns diving into the genre of anime and in the end earned a good amount of DVD sales for the first volume.

All without latching onto someone's successes (say Madoka for example, they could have at any point made it a dark Idol style anime like Symphogear but they didn't)
Eh, not quite sure what you were getting into. I AM HAPPY it didn't end up run-of-mill anime that I was expecting.

But, to be fair, they are not really dipping into an complete unknown. Afterall, their home base Akihabara is the center of everything ACG and they are also known as a group with many hardcore anime, manga, and games otakus. In fact, the nine members who are VAs all happens to being open otakus.

Mayuyu for example, the red glasses she wears in private was bought under the influence of Sarutobi (Sa-chan) from Gintama. Her favorite anime in past few years were K-On, Suzumiya Haruhi, Hetalia: Axis Powers, and Durarara. She once considers Go-on Yellow from Engine Sentai Go-onger as her mai-wifu.

Now before the series started, I thought this was more of a case where anime studio was trying to cash in on AKB's fame more then vice versa, since many core AKB fans are ACG otakus to begin with.

Because of that I thought the show was going to be more of a glitz fest than anything else, but with more and more involvement from AKB side as well as involvement of all active VAs and Macross stuff, my expectation grew, but in reality I was still thinks this show would likely be more of a disappointment.

But as series goes on, its basically turns into a love letter to fans while keeping everything well-construct and well-paced that even non-fans can enjoy. That, was the reason I said it went way beyond my expectation.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:02   Link #2306
Kazu-kun

That was great. I know that once the after glow fades (horrible pun intended) I might start seeing issues everywhere, but right now, when everything is still bright and shiny, it's all great!!

Ah, second season... before it was announced I was totally exited about it. Now though, after watching the last episode, I'm honestly not sure anymore. This series is really good because it was more about the girls growing up than the mysteries of the plot, but the final episode brings up the character development to end-game for pretty much all the characters. They can do another cour to wrap up the plot, but without the psychological drama at the core it could feel very flat. The teaser doesn't help. Acchan the 14th selection? Couldn't care less, we already know it's Nagisa. Get that over with in the first episode and use the remaining 12 to tell something actually interesting!

But that's all for my pointless rant. It was a good run and despite all my worries I'm still very much looking forward to whatever they bring next. ^__^
Old 2012-07-23, 03:27   Link #2307
sa547
*Author

Anyway, if only I could just treat everyone for a drink and toast to this... amazing journey. Yep, I still have the buzz, and so I'm getting the subs.
Old 2012-07-23, 04:34   Link #2308
Undertaker

I have a different thought about that 14th Aachan selection. Based on the way AKB usually operate, I won't be surprised they setting up a website for fans to vote which character should succeed Aachan in S2.

Anyway, ep 13 is a pretty nice finish, putting aside the secret behind Center Nova and Sensei Sensei, everything was pretty much resolved and we are treated with over half of episodes of songs and dances and actions to boot.

BTW, here is "Yakusoku yo" (I Promise), it is the only non-No Name song outside of Nagisa no Cherry, originally from the K2 stage: (it's song before the ED where Nagisa and her parents says goodbye)

BTW, all three No Name songs will be on the CD no matter which version you by. The only difference is that Type A and B have different jacket (A=real live, B=Anime) and different content on DVDs. Type A DVD includes an clip about No Name, while Type B include a make-of/behind the scene clip (not quite sure it's for MV or VA work).

You can purchase online form HMV or YesAsia, Limited Edition (with DVD) listed about $24 on Yesasia ($40 free shipping) and HMV about $15 (after conversion and if you buy 2 or more CDs) + shipping.

BTW, Type A is currently sold out (for preorders) in HMV.

I'll sort out a list of all insert songs in the series and where they originate tonight.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 04:34   Link #2309
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Wowowowowowowow.... is all I can say after this series.

Akimoto wasn't kidding when he said Okada was a genius and that he had no issues leaving the entire project up to them because the end product was nothing short of amazing.

With all the plot lines wrapped up, I'm not quite sure how they are going to feed this into a season 2, but maybe we'll finally get the answer to why DES hates the idols and why dualium allows the kirara to go brighter and cause the center nova phenomenon.

Nagisa's dad was surprisingly bad ass too. The man is full of conviction and drive, but not to the point where he can't admit he's wrong. His last words of encouragement to Nagisa were so on point it was amazing.

The only real issue I had with ep 13 is... why the hell would you open a concert with Nagisa no Cherry, that's like the song that's least likely to get people actually pumped... but ah well...

But damn, it was a nice ride. Sleeper hit of the season in the international community for sure. See you all in 2013!

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 04:44   Link #2310
Kazu-kun

Quote:
BTW, all three No Name songs will be on the CD no matter which version you by. The only difference is that Type A and B have different jacket (A=real live, B=Anime) and different content on DVDs. Type A DVD includes an clip about No Name, while Type B include a make-of/behind the scene clip (not quite sure it's for MV or VA work).
I thought Type A includes the live-action MV while Type B includes the animated MV.

EDIT:

Type A

01. Kibou ni Tsuite
02. Yume wa Nandomo Umarekawaru
03. Niji no Ressha
04. Kibou ni Tsuite off vocal.
05. Yume wa Nandomo Umarekawaru off vocal.
06. Niji no Ressha off vocal.
[DVD]
01. Kibou ni Tsuite PV [Member Version]
02. Members off shot clips

Type B

01. Kibou ni Tsuite
02. Yume wa Nandomo Umarekawaru
03. Niji no Ressha
04. Kibou ni Tsuite off vocal.
05. Yume wa Nandomo Umarekawaru off vocal.
06. Niji no Ressha off vocal.
[DVD]
01. Kibou ni Tsuite PV [Anime Version]
02. Kibou ni Tsuite [Motion Making Video]

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-07-23 at 05:25.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 05:19   Link #2311
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
In fact I personally think of AKB0048 as Madoka done right. Well, obviously Madoka was done like that for a reason, but it's just a matter of believability. In a story where there are battles, it is most likely some character will die. The next most likely thing is that nobody will die, or a lot of character will. The less believable thing is everybody dies. To get so much deaths even if it is highly unlikely you typically need to devise a very contrived plot, which is what happened in Madoka. I respect Urobuchi as a writer, but sometimes his characters feel like they are masochists. I think doing things like in AKB0048 feels more natural.

This episode had me in tears.

Aside from this, in 4chan someone pointed out that AKB0048 members are more likely to come from mining planets, and in this episode it was explicitly mentioned Dualium dust. There could be a connection.

The real kicker for the next season could be being more up close and personal with the DES. In fact, we saw already a manned unit (the one who injured Takamina).
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 05:25   Link #2312
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I have a different thought about that 14th Aachan selection. Based on the way AKB usually operate, I won't be surprised they setting up a website for fans to vote which character should succeed Aachan in S2.
That would be awesome. I mean there's no way to make a fictional Selection believable because the audience is too conscious of the results being plot-driven. Making it real would be a great move. Make it happen Kawamori!!!!!!!!!
Old 2012-07-23, 05:30   Link #2313
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I thought Type A includes the live-action MV while Type B includes the animated MV.
You are right, but I was referring to the secondary videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
Wowowowowowowow.... is all I can say after this series.

Akimoto wasn't kidding when he said Okada was a genius and that he had no issues leaving the entire project up to them because the end product was nothing short of amazing.

With all the plot lines wrapped up, I'm not quite sure how they are going to feed this into a season 2, but maybe we'll finally get the answer to why DES hates the idols and why dualium allows the kirara to go brighter and cause the center nova phenomenon.

Nagisa's dad was surprisingly bad ass too. The man is full of conviction and drive, but not to the point where he can't admit he's wrong. His last words of encouragement to Nagisa were so on point it was amazing.

The only real issue I had with ep 13 is... why the hell would you open a concert with Nagisa no Cherry, that's like the song that's least likely to get people actually pumped... but ah well...

But damn, it was a nice ride. Sleeper hit of the season in the international community for sure. See you all in 2013!

Well there are still enough plot left with the Center Nova secret and what exactly are Kirara and Sensei Sensei's involvement all the while with more DES confrontation.

These plot while ok as it is left untouched, doesn't mean it can't be better is S2 solves them.

With that being side, while I'm happy that Takamina got her spot back, I wonder what happens to Kanata's succession now. I mean everyone other then Kanata can still succeed without really having succession conflict unless Yuko's spot is now a contention. Personally I think Cheri could be a fine Mariko.
Old 2012-07-23, 05:35   Link #2314
sa547
*Author

Quote:
That would be awesome. I mean there's no way to make a fictional Selection believable because the audience is too conscious of the results being plot-driven. Making it real would be a great move. Make it happen Kawamori!!!!!!!!!
Not impossible, given that they want to be accessible, and besides the fan-driven senbatsu elections considerably altered the real-life group's direction as a whole.
Old 2012-07-23, 05:43   Link #2315
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Personally I think Cheri could be a fine Mariko.
I don't see that at all. Suzuko is the obvious Mariko IMO. Besides we know they won't make Chieri cut her hair.

Seriously though, there is quite a bit of foreshadowing for Chieri being the next Yuuko: from her clothes to her competitive personality, etc.
Old 2012-07-23, 06:01   Link #2316
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Suzuko is the obvious Mariko IMO.
And she said that after some years she'll continue to serve as a staff member after graduation.

Chieri having her gorgeous tresses cut down to look more like Yuko? It may sound strange, but the real life Takamina got into an accident in which she got her hair burned, necessitating an emergency trim at the salon, but somehow the resulting hairstyle made her look even more cute that weeks later she had the style redone again.

Wow, and I think in the next installment there could be even more AKB anecdotes to be inserted right into the storyline.
Old 2012-07-23, 06:39   Link #2317
Undertaker

Quote:
I don't see that at all. Suzuko is the obvious Mariko IMO. Besides we know they won't make Chieri cut her hair.

Seriously though, there is quite a bit of foreshadowing for Chieri being the next Yuuko: from her clothes to her competitive personality, etc.
Mariko doesn't have to have short hair:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Suzuko is a bit too calm for me to be Mariko, yeah she do like playing with her phone, and she do seem like to play jokes on other. I agree she'll be a better Mariko then Cheri.

However I just I think Chieri isn't active (or perverted) enough to be Yuko, competitive-wise Mariko can be just as competitive as evident with this past selection, and both Yukirin and Mayuyu are fiercely competitive as well. And really, who isn't competitive in AKB? Even Takamina and Aachan has show their competitive side once in a while. But since I do agree that Suzuko can be a better Mariko I guess it up to others.

Personally, if SKE members are eligible I would said Chieri is closer to Matsui Rena, the co-center and the soul of SKE. Even if there have to be a current member, I would say she is probably more Yukirin than Yuko.

BTW, I just realized that Suzuko's habit of using an tool eating potato chips is Ishida haruka's (Kanata's VA, Team B, 5th gen) habit while reading manga. And her knowledge of AKB0048 can also being attribute to Ishida Haruka being and otaku of anime, manga, and idols.

Images

Last edited by Undertaker; 2012-07-23 at 06:55.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 06:51   Link #2318
Kazu-kun

^ I don't think personalities mean much when it comes to succession. Nagisa's personality is nothing like Acchan and that seems like a sure deal already.

Going by the hints the series drops Chieri would be next Yuuko and Suzuko the next Mariko. Okada might drop a twist on us and change things but the show has been pretty straightforward so far so I don't know.

Then again, I think it would be great to let the audience decide the succession too.
Old 2012-07-23, 07:01   Link #2319
Dop
Mmmm....

Fan-frakking-tastic!

I have to say I went into this show not really expecting anything much, and watched the first episode more out of idle curiosity than anything else. But it just completely grabbed me by the first episode.

While if you think about it the premise is patently preposterous, it's the fact that it plays with a straight bat, takes itself very seriously and doesn't slyly wink at the audience that makes it work.

It has totally exceeded all my expectations and I've enjoyed every episode.

Mondays just won't be the same without it!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 07:15   Link #2320
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
And she said that after some years she'll continue to serve as a staff member after graduation.

Chieri having her gorgeous tresses cut down to look more like Yuko? It may sound strange, but the real life Takamina got into an accident in which she got her hair burned, necessitating an emergency trim at the salon, but somehow the resulting hairstyle made her look even more cute that weeks later she had the style redone again.

Wow, and I think in the next installment there could be even more AKB anecdotes to be inserted right into the storyline.

Speaking of Takamina's hair this is by far my favorite snapshot from recent variety:

Images

While I do like and grow use to her ponytail, (from certain angles and expressions she can be extremely attractive), her current style simply increases her cuteness by not over-emphases her relatively long (but cute) face.

Quote:
^ I don't think personalities mean much when it comes to succession. Nagisa's personality is nothing like Acchan and that seems like a sure deal already.

Going by the hints the series drops Chieri would be next Yuuko and Suzuko the next Mariko. Okada might drop a twist on us and change things but the show has been pretty straightforward so far so I don't know.

Then again, I think it would be great to let the audience decide the succession too.
I would argue that Nagisa's personality is similar to Aachan's, at least the one before prior to Nagisa no Cherry.

Personalty trait is definitely important, at least more so then looks, then again, Chieri looks nothing like Yuko either.

So far the only hint was competitiveness and her own wish to succeed Yuko, other then that, unless Nagisa to turn out to be next Aachan, it is still tough to say she would be next Yuko.

BTW, a Yuko cut:

Full Episode of dodge-ball goodness

Tags
action-adventure, idols, musical anime