AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-05-13, 10:10   Link #3701
Chimuts
Call me Anego!~

Location: In a room as blue as the sky, as cool as the autumn wind and as quiet as the desert
Send a message via MSN to Chimuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Human's downfall will be caused by humans, no?
most probably, yes.
Old 2010-05-13, 11:04   Link #3702
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ I would rather say you are overanalyzing your own persona, despite there is no real cookie cutter way to describe someone or put them in a specific category.
Seriously, there is no fine line between normal and abnormal regarding people's behavior and aspiration. It is basically a matter of context, and for that point, you better not focus yourself on definitions and the so called "social classification".
Old 2010-05-13, 11:13   Link #3703
ChainLegacy
廉頗

You're not just an 'evolution,' or a 'defect,' that isn't how biology works. You vary from the population, but the way in which you vary is far too subtle to definitely be called a defect or an advantage. Don't worry about it and just live your life in ways you find meaningful (so long as you don't impede on others).

Also, some financial collapse doesn't spell the end of humanity, considering we didn't evolve to live in this odd world we've created for ourselves in the first place.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 11:35   Link #3704
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Categorizations of mental state are not binary. Most brains exhibit characteristics from several overlapping brain state definitions. In other words, Patient A exhibits enough characteristics to be identified as Ausbergers.. but may also have attributes associated with ADD (hyperactive or passive)... and maybe trend towards OCD behavior.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the current state of brain function diagnosis is such that a person doesn't "have" a dysfunction, disease, characteristic personality -- they simply have symptoms and behaviors that are associated with those descriptive archetypes. Most people's mental status cannot be described with a simple single label -- only the armchair parlor amateurs try that.

That's why many medical reports will say things like "demonstrates symptoms consistent with the model for ADD-passive with abusive self-treatment patterns" instead of "he's ADD-passive and drinks too much".
Old 2010-05-13, 13:01   Link #3705
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That's why many medical reports will say things like "demonstrates symptoms consistent with the model for ADD-passive with abusive self-treatment patterns" instead of "he's ADD-passive and drinks too much".
Yeah, and it comes with "Recommended treatment of Ritalin and therapeutic counselling for sociophobic behaviour" when it actually means "Required him to take pills that cause enough headache to keep him out of trouble and brainwashing him to be more socially dependent".

I survived a year of that before they gave up. Apparently the pills they gave me fuelled excessively aggressive behaviour towards my counsellor as I had problems thinking of how to flaw my counsellor's words (apparently those stuff inhibit active critical and lateral thinking ability), so it's some sort like a blessing in disguise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Moderator Klashikari, I'm afraid that's difficult to do. I've lived my entire life around people that have placed themselves in a social classification, so I unfortunately learned to do this.

Though thank you, I think I get the purpose of what you all are saying. Though it still bothers me, since I try to learn more about myself, and since me is in essence autistic, I feel like I am obligated to know how I react, why I react to things, and what I can and can't do.

Still, thanks. It helped ♪
Not to be offensive to those religiously inclined here, but I once said this to a friend who would pray to that guy up there (he's a devout Christian) to seek peace from the insulting words of the people around him :

You know, your God gave you a brain, a mouth and the middle finger for a reason. Use them dumbass.

He used them after hearing what I said, other than the middle finger. Dammit.

Seriously, you can feel inferior about yourself, however you'll become the trash you think you are if you just sit there and gripe. Get up and do something, you won't know if you can do it unless you've tried.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-05-13 at 13:16.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 14:40   Link #3706
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Which is why I feel bad about it, because I preach about doing the exact opposite. Well... I guess everyone has to be weighed down by something. Mine might as well be something I can't help.

Thanks, but I get the picture now. As Descartes said, "I think, therefore I am."... Should be less worried about the minds of others, and more about mine. I'm existent, this is proof enough. Wow, that sounded really.. Emo. anyways, thanks? =3
Prepare for a boring lecture. I hate giving these, but when it lands between the gray area of practicality and philosophy, there's ALOT to explain.

You know, what Descartes ACTUALLY meant is that doubt shouldn't stem from something inferred. When it first appeared as Cogito Ergo Sum in Discourse on the Method (which is simply finding a way on how to think logically according to "common sense"), he is to imply that of sureness through concrete evidence to substantiate for conviction, rather than inference. In the Scientific Method, the outline is as followed :

1. Accept only what you are sure of.
2. Divide into as small parts as necessary.
3. Solve the simplest problems first.
4. Make as complete lists as possible.

In your aspect, the first and the fourth tenets are breached because :

In 1,
- You accepted inferences. Like in this case, you just took your own interpretation of that quote for granted.
- Inferences do not count as conviction through evidence. If others quote that to you by citing an archived example, it's a "fact".
- "Facts" are in fact derived from popular opinion argued for by the majority, and therefore are only temporarily accounted for rather than "truth".

In sciences and mathematics, there's something called "error carried forward". Subsequently, combined with your breaking of the fourth tenet,

- Your list is incomplete because you didn't solve all the problems
- Some of the problems are unsolvable at your stage due to the breaking of the first tenet
- You closed a blind eye to the smaller but more difficult problems

and like going down the rows of the Pascal's Triangle, it multiplies itself until your emotions step in to protect your personal confidence.

The essence of the "I", as he wrote, does not distinguish between the mind, body and soul, which he considers the epitome of rational thinking. There have been many guesses to what he actually meant, and I personally think that what he was directing at is the wholeness of the human itself that results in his/her own rationality, being which

1. Analyse with your mind (the Basic - something to start with)
2. Work with your body (the Requirement - a way to get it done)
3. Fuel your desire to know and understand with your soul (the Fuel - the passion to keep it going)

hence the single French term "ames" to be used for all, as one couldn't possibly complete the entire process of "rational thinking" by itself. Each of them complete each other, so as long as you don't upkeep any of them, you would be the village idiot for the rest of your life (which you are right now with that train of thought).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-16, 12:15   Link #3707
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Is there anywhere where I can find the mission statement of Animesuki and the Animesuki discussion board?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 13:23   Link #3708
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Is there anywhere where I can find the mission statement of Animesuki and the Animesuki discussion board?
You mean a place where the purpose and goal of the forum (and site) is stated?

Don't know if this would actually help, but it was the first thing to pop up in my head after reading your question.

http://www.animesuki.com/doc.php/history.html

Doesn't seem to say anything about the forum itself, but it does mention the idea behind the creation of Animesuki and how it came to be.
Old 2010-05-16, 13:46   Link #3709
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
A question for the admins here
Why I see only General threads regarding topics in the Off Topic forum but no personal threads regarding people lives etc. it feels a bit evil, is there an option to freely open a thread ranting about something or just being happy with something you got? These threads go down anyway after a few days...
Old 2010-05-16, 13:53   Link #3710
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Why are poeple posting questions that really belong in the Forum & Site Feedback forum in the Silly question thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agito Akiyama View Post
Why I see only General threads regarding topics in the Off Topic forum but no personal threads regarding people lives etc. it feels a bit evil, is there an option to freely open a thread ranting about something or just being happy with something you got? These threads go down anyway after a few days...
We do not have an Off Topic forum.

We are not a "personal" forum as such, we prefer general discussion topics to be created. We don't allow "rant" threads and we don't really allow "personal" threads either.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 14:08   Link #3711
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Why are poeple posting questions that really belong in the Forum & Site Feedback forum in the Silly question thread?

We do not have an Off Topic forum.

We are not a "personal" forum as such, we prefer general discussion topics to be created. We don't allow "rant" threads and we don't really allow "personal" threads either.
General Chat is kinda off topic, after all it's not talking about Anime and such, and I asked this here because it's just a small question... BTW, it's really "personal" stuff, but more like threads about different interesting stuff, it seems the General Chat forum is too strict, IMO.
Old 2010-05-16, 14:28   Link #3712
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Well, you could always use your profile to rant about this and that. Starting a social group could also work, although you'll still need to define what the group would be about to other members.
Old 2010-05-18, 20:55   Link #3713
Kudryavka

Quote:
General Chat is kinda off topic, after all it's not talking about Anime and such, and I asked this here because it's just a small question... BTW, it's really "personal" stuff, but more like threads about different interesting stuff, it seems the General Chat forum is too strict, IMO.
I understand what you're saying, but AnimeSuki really isn't the place for rants, mainly because they always turn into something nasty, like flame wars or "No, you're wrong" hotspots. If you can find a way to intelligently introduce whatever topic you want to get off of your chest, and then encourage friendly discussion or solutions, then that'll prob survive here on AS.

Then there's always 4chan, no one seems to care what goes on there...
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 02:40   Link #3714
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Is it just me or is Google really down!?

Are we all going to die?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 02:50   Link #3715
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Are we all going to die?
Working for me, so their Canadian site seems to be up at least.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 02:58   Link #3716
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Yup, now it works again. Was I hallucinating or was it really down for a while there? Oh well.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 06:42   Link #3717
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Are we all going to die?
Ironically I was reading an article on Cracked about Google.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 06:44   Link #3718
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Whoever has Google rules the world. As long as Google is still based in US, the Illuminati will base their operations there.

Old 2010-05-19, 06:54   Link #3719
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
And precisely, General is used as a broad term to anything not "directly" related to Anime. Not exhaustive, but things like economy, etc are simply in there. That doesn't mean that it should be "talk about anything you want".
Forums are usually used as a place to "discuss" about "topics" at hand, which can involve every reader in a way or another.

By this definition, we aren't fancying stuff like "what have you done today" and the likes: not only it is often one sided, but when it is shared by several people, either it turns into a messy chat derailing the topic even further, or like komari said: flame war and whatever you call.

Unless I'm interpreting the admins' opinions in the wrong way, AS forums are used for "meaningful" topics, as in: a subject that has a meaning to be read and that provides equally or relatively meaningful answers. Random and personal stuff are a "no no", because it simply doesn't fuel any proper discussion, resulting to a bunch of posts that can be mistaken for "a blog article, and comments below".
In fact, it seems visitor messages or blogs are much more appropriate to give that kind of content a shot.

And speaking of the forums being strict, I disagree as it seriously prevents ridiculous situations or downright nonsensical random insanity..
The fine line was set in stone from the very beginning. While I may be a bit blunt, I believe this should be reminded (that is applied to anywhere else... well "should" be applied):
if you don't like this part of the forums, you will have to deal with it, or look something more suitable to your tastes. Why, for it, you are the only one who makes a choice here, we do not force people to stay or leave either way (well, ban hammer, and slav-... moderators aside ).

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-05-19 at 07:10.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-19, 09:00   Link #3720
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I have a question, I'm looking for a word in English to find a particular texture with

this is what I am looking for:

Think of an old book or old school work book that you write in.
On the front you would have a small white square in which you would write your name and probably subject.
What is the name for this tag or even better the appropriate word for this work book kind of thing?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious