AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 25 36.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 22.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-01, 00:32   Link #21
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
I worry for Kagari since a very much supporting character like him being the only one alongside the hero and heroine in a confrontation with the main antagonist is usually bad news for such characters. Of course, Gen doesn't usually kill characters before they've had a chance to tell their story, but it's become increasingly apparent to me that Psycho-Pass is more concerned with the plot and expressing its themes and social commentary than it is with the characters, so I don't expect every member of the team to be able to develop all that much anymore.
I'm betting it's going to be Kagari giving is life story as the life slowly drains from his eyes...
Old 2013-02-01, 01:01   Link #22
Ragna92

This show is amazing. I can't wait until next episode. I wonder if the next episode will be the scene from the proglue where Kougami and Shougo confront each other.
Old 2013-02-01, 01:46   Link #23
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
One thing in particular that should be pointed out is that the helmets themselves don't actually give you the power to defy, it merely enables you to defy with the powers you already have.

And the fact that every person is already fully capable of such wanton violence, well, there's a reason we see Makishima holding Heart of Darkness.

So when the Panopticon falls, you just have to ask yourself whether what we're seeing is the truth nature of man, or simply the enabled darkness within him.
Sorry to bring up Madoka again, but it's interesting that you brought up the Panopticon there. Sybil can be thought of a, umm, less fuzzy version of the Panopticon. The Panopticon was also the brainchild of utilitarian philosopher Jeremy Bentham.

And we probably know which Urobuchi character was also a devoted utilitarian. (Makishima of course also shares that character's "ends justify the means" philosophy.)

I guess Gen has a bit of a beef with utilitarianism.
Old 2013-02-01, 05:39   Link #24
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium View Post
I kinda find it absurd that the CID wasn't prepared for a possibility of a riot or any revolt happening, to the extent that they have a shortage of tools and manpower to quell the riots.
I find that perfectly understandable. You've got a system that practically prevents crime, and you have a load of scanners and robots to nip potential problems in the bud.
You don't need a large police force, just a small one for the odd rare event.

It's down to financial considerations, I reckon.

Good to see a Philip K. Dick reference.
Old 2013-02-01, 06:01   Link #25
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Sorry to bring up Madoka again, but it's interesting that you brought up the Panopticon there. Sybil can be thought of a, umm, less fuzzy version of the Panopticon. The Panopticon was also the brainchild of utilitarian philosopher Jeremy Bentham.

And we probably know which Urobuchi character was also a devoted utilitarian. (Makishima of course also shares that character's "ends justify the means" philosophy.)

I guess Gen has a bit of a beef with utilitarianism.
My familiarity with the Panopticon was from Foucault.

Well it doesn't really... uh... fulfill the exact definition, but considering how the people are aware that they're every move and emotion is observed by some pseudo-omniscient observer based on an unknown location, it's similar to the Panopticon in that respect.

But it's this similarity that really brings to light one of the darker themes of the show: that it's entirely possible that the entire reason that crime and malevolent intentions in the society are eliminated entirely through fear anf not by trust in the system. It becomes increasingly clear that the dark intentions that can easily spring forth from the hearts of men are merely suppressed in the human heart due to fear of an ever present power that can exact its justice by its ability to see into your... mind, and you don't know where or how to fight back.

But when the mighty observer, judge, jury and executioner loses its ability to observe and to judge, it can no longer be the jury and the executioner. Thus the fear is gone, and the hearts of darkness are unleashed.
Old 2013-02-01, 07:06   Link #26
Gpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I'm betting it's going to be Kagari giving is life story as the life slowly drains from his eyes...
Kagari is certainly there for a reason, cause Masaoka will be with them otherwise like it usually is, but I'd say he still have a fair chance to live thorough it. He doesn't have enough character development to make his death meaningful enough yet. He's probably involved in some future twist to physiologically torture our hero and heroine and for social commentary.

But that's not saying much, seeing most things that happens in this show so far can be boil down to those 2 purposes...
Old 2013-02-01, 08:56   Link #27
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Makishima and Gu Seung are fantastic antagonists. I agree with Vicious108 on their dialogue and chemistry - Very compelling. Listening in on the conversations of those two was honestly my favorite part of the episode. I loved how Gen made the two chaos-creating revolutionaries sound like two of the most normal and well-adjusted people in the world!

And Makishima's overall plan here is very good and very impressive. The "helmet people" causing a riot, and the police responding to that by sending everyone out to stop the riots, were reasonable educated guesses on Makishima's part. Then in the midst of such chaos, he takes aim at his true target - Very smart strategy, tactics, and plan.

The episode as a whole was gripping and intense. Very exciting and enjoyable to watch. And an awesome cliffhanger to end it all off on!

However, I do have some quibbles with this arc. Those I'll get into once I have more time to spare than I do right now. But for now, I simply applaud this episode and the people behind it (BGM and visuals were very smooth and effective here too).
Old 2013-02-01, 09:18   Link #28
garbage

Sibyl has a throughput & computing power not possible with their current technology,...and the heart of sibyl is concentrated on one place, which is really bad security wise... wahhh is the DIRECTOR Sibyl !!! ....and Akane is the next in line, if the director dies.... whew what a thought...wonder if it 's true.

soi guess Makishima's not really that perfect it's the partner who's the genius, makishima's talent(?) just made it possible to do their plan.

Philip K. Dick! yeah sci-fi ! lot's of his work been turned to film too, Blade Runner's my fave... NO wonder episode 1 felt like Blade Runner when I watched it way back

William Gibson ! cyberspace!> that's even before the great Internet of today Neuromancer was a good book.

of course most literate people knows George Orwell and his 1984...
whew nice reference..
Old 2013-02-01, 09:18   Link #29
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpower View Post
Kagari is certainly there for a reason, cause Masaoka will be with them otherwise like it usually is, but I'd say he still have a fair chance to live thorough it. He doesn't have enough character development to make his death meaningful enough yet.
However, Kagari doesn't have much of a life story to tell. He was flagged as a latent criminal at age 5 and since then confined in a correctional facility, until he was selected as an enforcer two years ago.
He is a perfectly expendable character if Gen wants to torture our heroes again. I hope not because Kagari is a funny guy to have around.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2013-02-01, 10:35   Link #30
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
However, Kagari doesn't have much of a life story to tell. He was flagged as a latent criminal at age 5 and since then confined in a correctional facility, until he was selected as an enforcer two years ago.
He is a perfectly expendable character if Gen wants to torture our heroes again. I hope not because Kagari is a funny guy to have around.
They never stated on why he's flagged as a latent criminal and if so, maybe his family (especially his father as I could imagine) has a crazy personality that had an impact on him ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-02-01, 10:43   Link #31
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Gu sung and Makishima's conversation was the best scene in this episode. It was very compelling. Nice to see some intellectual villains.

Makishima's plan to take down Sibyl was well thought-out. Too bad for him Kogami managed to see thought it. I cannot help but root for Makishima on some level this time, since I am not a big proponent of the Sibyl system. Everything fell apart so easily this week.
Old 2013-02-01, 11:28   Link #32
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I loved how Gen made the two chaos-creating revolutionaries sound like two of the most normal and well-adjusted people in the world!
Indeed. Nothing like discussing your favorite literary works and authors and sipping some tea while human civilization crumbles down below you due to the chaos and destruction you've unleashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
Philip K. Dick! yeah sci-fi ! lot's of his work been turned to film too, Blade Runner's my fave... NO wonder episode 1 felt like Blade Runner when I watched it way back
Yep, and I felt this episode in particular brought to life that Blade Runner-ish feel quite well, especially at the end with the scenery that surrounded Makishima and Gu Seung's trip towards the tower, neon blue spotlights and all. The episode in general was one of the most impressive visually thus far. And hopefully we won't see a decrease in that department next week, since things should be at their best in the writing department also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Too bad for him Kogami managed to see thought it.
On one hand, yeah, but on the other hand I also imagine that Makishima will be pleased to see his new prospect can continue to think like him with such ease and efficiency. All the more potential for him to try and bring out Kougami's own heart of darkness.
Old 2013-02-01, 11:33   Link #33
stassy

Based on the quick Makishima smirk at the end of the ep, he might have already devised that Kogami would have perceived his plan, as the 1st ep show he was waiting for him...

And for the fun theory, if Sibyl is linked to the director and the latter die, I guess "someone with a stable mind" might take the lead at the end madoka-style...
Old 2013-02-01, 11:38   Link #34
Battler-kun

So, the Sybil-System is crumbling away, ahahaha so surprising...considering that huge flaw that only device that masks your brain is enough to bypass it and the fact that there are no police force anymore.

As i said before, you can't deny the true nature of the majority of human, which is violent.
Old 2013-02-01, 12:31   Link #35
ookamigirl

The helmet trend is spreading...
Once again criminals are taking over the streets.
So much for their precious Sybil system.
Makishima is truly a genius, too bad he's so evil..
Wonder is he wants just chaos, of the removal of Sybil system as well.
Looks like it's the latter. Great episode!

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-02-01, 13:09   Link #36
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...... That was my thoughts as I watched this episode.
Old 2013-02-01, 15:23   Link #37
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

So it seems like this whole helmet thing has been less a part of some kinda master plan on Makishima's part, and more of him indulging in the * interests* of one of his killers. The only difference is that this has been on a larger scale than his previous engagements. The main goal of the helmet riots has largely been as a distraction to get the apparently EXTREMELY paltry law enforcement manpower* away from the building that they believe ins housing Sybill. One certainly must wonder what reasons went behind building a blatant integrated super compute in one place.

*I'm not entirely sure that the crisis that unfolded with the riots is really a sign that average person under the Sybill system is a sheep. It certainly didn't take long at all for common citizens to start fighting back against the spree killers...FAR sooner than the police. And frankly I don't think the reason for that is because of the helmets. Not when you have facial recognition software that could identify groups of helmeted people, along with citizens growing recognition of the threat and calling the police.

Frankly it looks like they just didn't have enough security personnel to go in and knock heads. Which brings a question to mind. What if instead of helmets, Makishima had outfitted all these people with guns (very simple mechanical tools compared to the electronic helmets)? The CID lacks the manpower or tactical organization and training to deal with protracted shootouts.

Frankly I'm a bit amazed that a state security apparatus this weak hasn't fallen apart yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
Makishima is truly a genius, too bad he's so evil..
Makishima is less of a genius, and more of a wizard. He's kinda like the Joker, in that he can materialize expendable homicidal maniacs out of nowhere.
Old 2013-02-01, 15:28   Link #38
Battler-kun

Quote:
Frankly I'm a bit amazed that a state security apparatus this weak hasn't fallen apart yet.
They have drones and surely other robots.

But i don't know why they don't apply them....lol, kinda dumb, almost a plothole.
Old 2013-02-01, 15:36   Link #39
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
They don't have Tanks anti-riot ?
I was wondering this
Water cannon , those kind of stuff
Old 2013-02-01, 15:47   Link #40
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
They have drones and surely other robots.

But i don't know why they don't apply them....lol, kinda dumb, almost a plothole.
Which if we go with the mentality of the director lady last episode, they don't arm because they don't COMPLETELY trust the Sybill system...I don't think we've ever seen those those police drones do anything, and it's not like they're particularly well armored. And their response to this has crisis has been to do emergency modification of military drones for riot control.

Makishima is kinda right in calling the Sybil system a bit of a parody dystopia. It's totalitarian in nature, but has virtually no effective means of internal security/suppression. A dozen criminals with rifles or shotguns running around in the open would represent a near existential threat to society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I find that perfectly understandable. You've got a system that practically prevents crime, and you have a load of scanners and robots to nip potential problems in the bud.
You don't need a large police force, just a small one for the odd rare event.

It's down to financial considerations, I reckon.
Japan hasn't fought a war in over 60 years yet still maintains a high tech military of over 200,000 men. The world of Psycho-pass seems to have military robots as well. Maintaining riot and SWAT teams are a much smaller expense.

If nothing else, stronger internal security capable of actually getting into fights would be a national security issue. There's not much point to having an army if a dozen infiltrating terrorist commandos are essentially an unstoppable force.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2013-02-01 at 15:58.
Closed Thread