AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2011-05-22, 07:38   Link #4061
Snow White
★ Starlight Breaker ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
Spoiler for Spoilers for Freshman Girl:

Looks like we finally get a character design on that freshman girl who Kyon described in Book 9.
Could it be that she's the slider we're all waiting for?
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 09:34   Link #4062
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
Could it be that she's the slider we're all waiting for?
I suspect that Mikuru Big is pulling out all the stops.
Spoiler for Possible:
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 09:38   Link #4063
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Okay, let's move all the current discussion about the new novels to the Surprise thread. To help that out, I'm going to close this thread for the day.

Thank you.

EDIT: Thread re-opened!

And remember: novel 10 & 11 discussion has its own thread for spoilers.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-05-22 at 22:14.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 23:10   Link #4064
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Oh geez, I just noticed something else. Her uniform is different, and the only reason I can think of for that would be that it's her middle school uniform. And I really hope that's not the case because... Ew.
Technically, this would have been less than a year before Melancholy begins, so the difference between "drool at Haruhi in Melancholy" and "drool at Sasaki in Rainy Day" is a matter of numbers rather than a visible difference in appearance--I mean teenagers don't change that much visually in a single year unless it's the year in which they cross the puberty divide.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 09:54   Link #4065
Javiersansano

Anyone knows a safe, and understandable site (english preferible) to buy volume 10 and 11?............I'm thinking of buying them, and having them translated by some translation service company, or whoever I can find, because there is no way the novels will be fan translated, right?
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 10:06   Link #4066
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Technically, this would have been less than a year before Melancholy begins, so the difference between "drool at Haruhi in Melancholy" and "drool at Sasaki in Rainy Day" is a matter of numbers rather than a visible difference in appearance--I mean teenagers don't change that much visually in a single year unless it's the year in which they cross the puberty divide.
I guess that's fair. When I thought "middle school" I was thinking more like Tanabata Haruhi's age.
Old 2011-05-23, 15:14   Link #4067
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
I guess that's fair. When I thought "middle school" I was thinking more like Tanabata Haruhi's age.
Keep in mind that the level of squick involved is all relative. Yes, the middle school "Tanabata Haruhi" was no more than 13 (probably only 12), but even the oldest primary character in the series, Tsuruya, is only 17, and that's only as of late, as she started the series at 16, like any normal Japanese second-year high schooler (I don't count Mikuru or the data interfaces in the discussion, as we don't know exactly how old she is in either form, and they are presumably all much younger than they appear). Over the majority of the series, most of the characters haven't been any older than 15, which makes them just as much jailbait in most countries as Imouto-chan (who certainly has her share of..."enthusiasts")...
Old 2011-05-23, 15:28   Link #4068
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Keep in mind that the level of squick involved is all relative.
No doubt. If the girls are drawn with bodies like they're in their twenties, it's hard not to react as though they are adults. I guess it's the same reason we don't have an issue with Tanaguchi rating Yuki an A-, despite us knowing as informed viewers (as you alluded to) that she's literally probably no more than three years old. You go based on appearance, and, to me, Sakaki has the appearance of a middle-schooler in that picture.

But still, regardless of age...

Really??
Old 2011-05-23, 17:19   Link #4069
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
No doubt. If the girls are drawn with bodies like they're in their twenties, it's hard not to react as though they are adults. I guess it's the same reason we don't have an issue with Tanaguchi rating Yuki an A-, despite us knowing as informed viewers (as you alluded to) that she's literally probably no more than three years old. You go based on appearance, and, to me, Sakaki has the appearance of a middle-schooler in that picture.

But still, regardless of age...

Really??
Oh, I have no problem with Taniguchi rating any of them anything. He's underage as well, after all, and Yuki (and the other interfaces) are designed to look and act their supposed ages, so you can't fault anyone for treating them as such. They're not even human, anyway, or even really biological, except physically, so the sexuality argument doesn't even apply in the same way.
Old 2011-05-23, 17:53   Link #4070
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Oh, I have no problem with Taniguchi rating any of them anything. He's underage as well, after all, and Yuki (and the other interfaces) are designed to look and act their supposed ages, so you can't fault anyone for treating them as such. They're not even human, anyway, or even really biological, except physically, so the sexuality argument doesn't even apply in the same way.
Well, right, which is why I said WE don't have an issue with it. I'm pretty sure we're on the same page here, for the most part.
Old 2011-05-24, 07:46   Link #4071
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
The cover for the Official Fanbook: The Observation of Haruhi Suzumiya has been released by Kadokawa:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 10:16   Link #4072
Yumeka
Anime fan/Pokemon trainer

Cool, what's in the fanbook?

~ Yumeka ~
Mainichi Anime Yume - my blog
Yumeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 11:35   Link #4073
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumeka View Post
Cool, what's in the fanbook?
The fanbook is as it says: a guide to the novel series. It'll feature some things from the new novels as well as some unreleased items from Tanigawa and Itou.

Today the official website updated with a new webpage. It states "Pray with Haruhi. When 15,498 desires come together, something good is bound to happen!".

The referred site allows you to send a message to the site (with one of the main SOS Brigade characters if wanted) or you can tweet your wish with the official hashtag #haruhinegai.

Edit: It's not worth a new post, but here's images of Vol 5 (Eng. version) that I received today:

2nd Edit: Overall I'd say the translation was well done. One mistake (switching between yen and dollars between stories) was all that I noticed. I did like the adaptation for Tsuruya to call Haruhi "Harls" instead of the original "Haru-nyan." Everything was put together well outside of that mistake. You should feel great in purchasing it!

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2011-05-24 at 19:25. Reason: mistyped number
Old 2011-05-25, 07:16   Link #4074
s07195
However,

And so.....
Here comes Surprise!

Apparently there was a promotion for preordering the Chinese books, and I managed to do that in time. Just picked it up today. No Rainy Day, there is something awesome...

Spoiler for something awesome...:

EDIT: Not sure if this is a spoiler, should I add it to the *official* thread?
Old 2011-05-25, 08:09   Link #4075
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

chinese LN cover? or manga?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 08:27   Link #4076
s07195
However,

Special Edition cover for preorders of The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya (First and final part). I think this is Chinese version only.
Old 2011-05-25, 11:53   Link #4077
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
EDIT: Not sure if this is a spoiler, should I add it to the *official* thread?
I'm fine with these merchandise updates being posted in this thread, however, any story-related material should go in the "official" thread.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-27, 21:02   Link #4078
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

"Selling well" would be an understatement for the latest set of Haruhi novels. This is far from official (those numbers will be out Wednesday) but I'm hearing some GREAT news on the status of stores in Japan with the LE set.

To begin, I've heard rumors that some stores have already sold out of the set and some are already running low. The Melonbooks in Akiba is already down to half of their original set by the end of sales on Friday and Gamers's head store has gotten rid of the double screw seen here and has had a decent chunk taken from the base as seen here.

Then we have this blog post by a bookstore. They've checked and they sold approximately over 40% of their allotted stock on the first day alone. That one store has sold over 2000 copies of everything Haruhi already (manga, novels, extras, etc). What's even better is the clientele coming in and purchasing the set. Not only do you have men and women, you have salerymen, office ladies, housewifes, high schoolers, middle schoolers and more. They didn't have a break at all during that first day. They are highly concerned that they won't be able to make it through the weekend with their stock.

Kadokawa has already told that store that it's incredibly unlikely that they'll be sending more stock of the LE. I'm incredibly eager to see what the first week sales will be.

Old 2011-05-28, 09:53   Link #4079
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Does this mean we're going to get another Season of Haruhi? (hopefully with higher budget animation than the last one...)

Also. Someone NEEDS to find a high quality raw of that long image of all the rerelease Haruhi novels. The one featuring all the characters. I'm so annoyed that I haven't found a bigger version of that.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 10:56   Link #4080
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Does this mean we're going to get another Season of Haruhi? (hopefully with higher budget animation than the last one...)
Only if it's economically justifiable. *orders more Haruhi things*

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga