AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 123 72.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 14.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 9.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.18%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-19, 10:54   Link #261
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
The macross comunity in this forum is growing a lot for this series
Old 2008-05-19, 11:07   Link #262
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post

As far as the VF-27 is concerned... seem kinda super robot is right now, my guess is that singing will break it's super hax :P.
Imsgine's Sheryl piloting a VF...

Sheryl: LISTEN TO SONG! *Fires giant speaker pod at Vajra capital ship*
Old 2008-05-19, 11:17   Link #263
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Imsgine's Sheryl piloting a VF...

Sheryl: LISTEN TO SONG! *Fires giant speaker pod at Vajra capital ship*
She has a whip to ensure they comply.
Old 2008-05-19, 11:25   Link #264
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

If she has sound boosters equpied she's got her FX covered :P
Old 2008-05-19, 14:28   Link #265
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
GOD i want to see this episode so badly but i promised myself i would wait for subs my Japanese is not nearly good enough to get everything that is spoken
Old 2008-05-19, 14:58   Link #266
Heavy

The space combat in this episodes beats ANY gundam scene i have ever seen!!!
Old 2008-05-19, 15:33   Link #267
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
GOD i want to see this episode so badly but i promised myself i would wait for subs my Japanese is not nearly good enough to get everything that is spoken
I feel your pain, I caved on sunday and watched the raw.

Hold out if you can as there are some talky scenes that are (i'm assuming here) are important.
Old 2008-05-19, 16:08   Link #268
Winchester

Ozma will probably chew out Alto over this episode's events, but I doubt he'll be chewing very hard. The orders he gave in the last ep was "don't die", and Alto was just making sure Luca complied, here. Trading his vanilla Valk for the far more valuable ELINT model was just icing on that deal.

In fact, so far all of Alto's mishaps have been directly attributable to enemy action. The first mecha he even got into was busted to start; the second one was damaged because Alto was rescuing Klein (who needed it, even if she didn't think so); and this one was lost rescuing Luca and his much more valuable Elint model. In fact, in each case the damages have been in trade for something more valuable. That the situation has ended up requiring it three times in a row wasn't Alto's fault...

Also, exactly how many Valkyries did Hikaru manage to destroy during the original series? The VF-1D from the first ep was a total loss; there was the Full Armor prototype he mashed up during the Miss Macross contest; and he was caught by friendly fire the second time Misa used the Daedalus Attack. He also fried the VF-1S pretty thoroughly when he rescued Misa from the Grand Cannon base.

Shin from Macross Zero managed to mangle a Tomcat, a VF-0D and a VF-0A, at least, during *his* show, which was only five eps.

All in all, Alto isn't doing too badly... :-)

SP
Old 2008-05-19, 16:29   Link #269
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Also, exactly how many Valkyries did Hikaru manage to destroy during the original series? The VF-1D from the first ep was a total loss; there was the Full Armor prototype he mashed up during the Miss Macross contest; and he was caught by friendly fire the second time Misa used the Daedalus Attack. He also fried the VF-1S pretty thoroughly when he rescued Misa from the Grand Cannon base.

Also, the one Vrlitwhai tore apart with his bare hands. Not to mention the times he got shot down in his hilarious dream sequence/parody dub clip show while recovering from his concussion. Even in his subconscious, he knows that he's got to stop wrecking the damn things.
Old 2008-05-19, 18:39   Link #270
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
The space combat in this episodes beats ANY gundam scene i have ever seen!!!
Speaking of which, I never understod why no one in the Gundam industry worked on battle scenes and inspired himself on the very elaborated 3-D work from Macross Zero/Plus (they started with that approach anyway) given the budget Bandai gives them.
Old 2008-05-19, 18:43   Link #271
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
It is also worth pointing out, however, that Alto lost his plane engaging in a completely valid military imperative: he was attempting to recover another plane that had been captured intact by the enemy and rescue its pilot. Even though Alto lost his plane, he did manage to rescue Luca and assisted in clearing the way for the Quarter to gun down the enemy carrier. The mission was a complete success and he doubtlessly saved the life of a fellow pilot. Even if he was fully court-martialed, no human court in the universe would give him more than a slap on the wrist for saving his fellow soldier.

From what I could tell, he did this against orders - which means he's screwed, since this is the second time he's done it. Even if it's a 'valid' imperative, if you're told 'don't go in there' and you do... well, even if you save someone, expect a chewing out. If it turns out you screwed up an operation that was going on at the same time you were doing this, or if your firepower was needed elsewhere and another mission failed due to this... you get a court-martial and sometimes a firing squad.

As for 'no human court would give him more than a slap on the wrist', may I point to the case of Third Lieutenant William Sitgreaves Cox? He did exactly what you mentioned, except this was on a Navy ship. He made a rescue of his captain, got him out of the line of fire... and then got convicted of abandoning his post, because everyone else above him in the chain of command was wounded or killed, and he was drummed out of the service for having left his command while under fire. In this case, he wasn't ordered to make the rescue, and he was only shown the mercy of a dishonorable discharge versus a hanging which was legal given the situation. While the USS Cheasapeake lost that battle... even if it had won, he would've probably gone through a court martial, and at least a short stay in the brig, if not being stripped of his commission anyways.

At the very least, Alto-hime will get an earfull from Ozma, even if Luca came back okay. If only to make sure that he is forced to say he's sorry he cost them more money, even if he's not sorry that he used it to save a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium
They are testing the VF-25 in combat conditions. Knowing how well it handles damage, and how far it can go and still be functional would be a part of that. How detrimental it is to the outfit is the greater concern. The people with the money making these things and asking SMS to test them are probably ecstatic over Alto and all the awesome data his personal black box comes back with (as test fighters I assume there are a number of redundant black box systems each holding the data of that flight). Now SMS might be angry if they're down a plane and the makers aren't supplying new ones in time... However I think the situation is probably more that the manufacturer has more planes on hand than they have pilots good enough and trustworthy enough to fly them.
Except that the manufacturer wants them pushed to their limits - not necessarily destroyed. Even if the wreckage supplies useful data, that's still a problem... especially if there's a shortage of parts for these, since they're not in full production. SMS won't be happy if it can't replace planes, the engineers might not be happy if their magnificent creation is shown to have issues and will be more than glad to blame pilot error for it even as they (quietly) make improvements to successive models. And Skull Squadron probably isn't happy that he keeps wrecking planes, since this may mean he's not really a good combat pilot - has great instincts, but his ability to fight well isn't quite up there, and if his luck gives out... he's dead, and maybe other people along with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester
Also, the one Vrlitwhai tore apart with his bare hands. Not to mention the times he got shot down in his hilarious dream sequence/parody dub clip show while recovering from his concussion. Even in his subconscious, he knows that he's got to stop wrecking the damn things.
Hikaru lost four - the VF-1D was abandoned on Macross Island (and possibly recycled later), the Armored VF-1J during Miss Macross, the Vrlitwhai-torn up VF-1J during the recon mission, and the VF-1J he got shot down in during the Daedalus Attack, just before Focker's demise. I didn't count Focker's Skull One during the Grand Cannon mission, since it was mission-capable and didn't lose anything besides the canopy and the retrofitted Super pack, which he ejected before re-entry. It was still flyable, and apparently repairable... and didn't lose any limbs, or major systems that we could see.

Alto's up to three on the "lost VF" counter, topping Shin's two during Zero (I don't count the Tomcat, as it's not a VF), and above just about any other pilot in the series (Isamu's VF-19 was only damaged during the tumble it took in the desert and shot up but still functional after its encounter with Earth's defenses).
Old 2008-05-19, 18:44   Link #272
kuyaaids

The Gattai sub is out now (downloading it), but it's not yet in the listing.
Old 2008-05-19, 18:58   Link #273
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Speaking of which, I never understod why no one in the Gundam industry worked on battle scenes and inspired himself on the very elaborated 3-D work from Macross Zero/Plus (they started with that approach anyway) given the budget Bandai gives them.
Sunrise is a cheap money grubbing studio. If they had any pride at all in their work, half the series they've produced wouldn't have aired, and a new Gundam series wouldn't air every few years with barely any thought put into them.
Old 2008-05-19, 19:00   Link #274
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaaids View Post
The Gattai sub is out now (downloading it), but it's not yet in the listing.
Yes. And it has translation notes.
Old 2008-05-19, 19:59   Link #275
Wesley84

I think it's obvious Cathy resents her new position. She's so easily goaded, even by a simple question. Or maybe it's because she's working directly alongside the hairdresser. He has that effect on people (me).

And they want information on the Vajra. I really hope it's in the interest of fighting them and not in learning/stealing from them. It'd be disappointing to have something bad happen just because someone wanted "biotech" a little too badly.

"Prototype Fold Communication System". What a nice fast counter they've developed...

Why's Alto complaining about armor? I thought he was using a Fast pak?

Surprise! Sheryl's primary concern right now is the concert. What a pro. And almost real time is it? That confirms ones thing at least.

Ranka knows Alto is a pilot. I wasn't sure about that.

Ah, I see. The one ship was just about to escape when the Vajra showed up. That's a real pity...but not as big a pity as losing Peter.

"Finally." And of course the greedy glint in what's his face's eye. Could we please seriously focus on destroying the evil xenos without greedy ambitions getting in the way of our better judgement?

Oh no! They have a Fold Reactor! I bet it has something to do with generating Fold Disruptions and/or navigating them!

Sheryl's a performer. Not that she's not feeling anything, but her crying should be taken with a grain of salt.

And here we are! The glorious second half of this episode! With glowing girl bits and screaming hairdressers calling down the thunder! Let's hope knowing what's being said makes it less painful to watch.

Well, I guess the glowing part between Sheryl and Ranka was more metaphorical than literal.

Two years of flight school didn't teach Alto anything about not being reckless. They should have spent less time hazing him and more time breaking him into the group/unit think. He really deserves to get someone killed for his bullshit.

Remember, ladies and gentlemen; any jerk and I mean it.

So the VF-27 shotdown Alto's pak, but was then captured by the Vajra?

Man, Sheryl's song is way too good for this sequence. It's really pissing me off.

"Skull 3 confirmed exiting." You know, they never confirmed Alto's condition before bbqing the mothership.

Quarter's main cannon is pretty gay with the twirling and rainbow effects, the whole weird...warping thing it does to the target, and most of all having "quantum" as part of it's name. Nothing is more gay than quantum.

So there's at least three VF-27s, with at least two different configurations? I wonder if they're all piloted or if what's his name controls them remotely?
Old 2008-05-19, 20:15   Link #276
SymphonicRain

Quote:
Tomino's actually elaborate in working creative gundam fight scenes. Watch Amuro's creative methods to take down the enemies on par with his own Gundam. Heck, Turn-A's battle scenes can be incredulously bizaare.

In the end, the differences between this Macross F's battles and Tomino's older work would be budget wise. I won't comment on Gundam 00's battle scenes because I haven't watched it yet, nor if I am certain that I will ever be interested in watching the series.
Old 2008-05-19, 20:47   Link #277
xiangkc

did anyone see the wing grow back after he enters into the enemy battleship?
Old 2008-05-19, 20:50   Link #278
U<3Anime
Boo!

Seriously though, I think some of you guys are really over-rating the fight. "best space battle in an anime ever"?, "better than any battles in gundam?" . I just think the battle is pretty decent. I guess I'll just watch the episode again just to make sure. >_>
Old 2008-05-19, 20:53   Link #279
way2slow

Send a message via AIM to way2slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Yes. And it has translation notes.
gg fansubs released ep 07 as well.
will be interesting.
Old 2008-05-19, 21:01   Link #280
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

All this talk of "court martial" is ridiculous. Alto works for a civilian contractor not the military. I'm sure SMS will "punish" him with "vacation without pay" suspension but still pay him for this battle and a healthy bonus for helping to complete the primary contract order.

Even the captain pointed out. Their primary orders were to gather information and then support the other ships. Luca's VF had all the juicy data.

I dunno about best space battle ever, but it was very very pretty.

--- on subs ---

just my personal opinion, i thought GGs were better than Gattai's but only just a bit.
Closed Thread