Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-03-16, 09:17   Link #1241
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramped View Post
Ok this time another random passage with a lot of mistakes due to rushing (hope you can forgive me for that). I will recheck it later when I have the time. +I am bad at phrasing.
P.S.don't bitch about the grammar since I don't care about it at the moment.
[spoiler]*snipped-for-length*
Good heavens. Okay then, hang on tight, thread.
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 18:40   Link #1242
black knight iust
spirit 1
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
They were already quite big in other illustrations in Vol.1, the only difference is that her battle outfit emphasizes her breast more than a normal dress (not sure if that function is needed on the battle field).
Someone suggested that it may be due to light/shiny effects that they stand out more.
But yeah, if it wasn't for Olga, I would guess that they become Vanadis due to their breast size, although Ludmira is a size or two smaller than other Vanadis.
ooo ooo ooo i got it its so that they can slaughter men who are mezmerized by thier apperiance
Old 2013-03-17, 09:28   Link #1243
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black knight iust View Post
ooo ooo ooo i got it its so that they can slaughter men who are mezmerized by thier apperiance
Maybe. Well, everything goes in a fight, and if showing some skin is going to make those poor sex-deprived gentlemen in armor lose focus for even a split second, that's one extra split second you have to relieve his shoulders of his head. Heaven knows they don't need it since they're quite obviously thinking with some other part of their body...

Anyway, status update!

We're done with 4.closetodone/11 parts of Vol 6 Ch1. Cramped is currently raw-ing out the 7th part/I'm editing it as we go along (as you can see I'm falling behind. Scheduling woes. Oh well. But the estimated time of completion doesn't change! Need a goal to work towards people!)

It's been pretty awesome going so far.

How long more?
Spoiler for It's an estimate...:

How is it going to be posted?
Spoiler for Something like this.:

Anyway, just a few things of note to say about what you're probably going to get:

1. It's been edited. By edited I mean some liberty has been taken in re-arranging some paragraphs so they make more sense in English overall.

It's not going to match the machine trans or the original Jap prose line for line. But only where we feel that that is necessary in order for it not to sound silly and juvenile in translated form.

Doing otherwise, we believe, would be a disservice to the author's intent; I'm quite sure no one who wrote a novel containing political intrigues and battles of might and magic on a grand scale would be too pleased to see his text treated that way.

2. It's been translated from the Chinese version. We chose to do this for two reasons.

Firstly, because we both have a pretty good grip on Chinese as compared to Japanese. Both of us are native speakers to a good extent, while in terms of Japanese our understanding is at best mediocre, and at worst non-existent.

Secondly, Chinese is actually a pretty good approximation of Japanese, unlike what some people think.

Their styles of using qualifying particles to (indicate/suggest, because neither language always bothers) tense, personage and their common use of the SVO-(A) (Subject Verb Object-(Action)) form of writing makes it easy to understand them in relation to each other, hence Chinese translations are actually more accurate than expected.

This even applies right down to author's prose quirks. We've already found some that were carried over in the translation and we're only 3 out of 11 pages in!

How are they? Well, some good, some bad, but well no one's perfect. We'll just keep the good ones and spare you the bad. As far as we can...I guess?

3. It's been...err, beautified. "Self-praise is no praise save international disgrace", so said someone somewhere some time ago, but well we all like our novels looking nice and polished and shiny. I'm certain that as far as Japanese went that's what the author did as well, so we're doing the same for the English.

Of course with lots of care taken that we don't mangle the original meaning.

4. And yes, we will actually be doing Chapter 2. Because why? Because!

So yeah, hope you guys enjoy it when it gets finished.

Last edited by XenahortCharybdis; 2013-03-19 at 12:26. Reason: For new status. And for much happiness. :D
Old 2013-03-17, 11:02   Link #1244
Kioras

Thanks for the work.

I would suggest not posting it here, as the mods do not like full translations posted, but to instead post it either a blog web page, or on baka-tsuki.
Kioras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 11:34   Link #1245
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Aye, we's aware o' dat. Thanks for the advice.
Old 2013-03-17, 18:27   Link #1246
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenahortCharybdis View Post
Aye, we's aware o' dat. Thanks for the advice.
Good luck! Wish I could help, but my max capacity for translation is 1/2 a page a day at most, and covered with named errors.

Edit: Volume 3 make me dizzy @_@ too many names....

Last edited by ArchmageXin; 2013-03-17 at 19:40.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 23:09   Link #1247
noobarta

Much thanks for those translations If you are posting them up on a blog somewhere mind posting/pming a link?
noobarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 23:41   Link #1248
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

We're still deciding the viewing medium.

All the same, rest assured it will be available to all.
Old 2013-03-18, 00:03   Link #1249
reccaryu

Quote:

Awesome. Thanks for the translations!
reccaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 00:15   Link #1250
noobarta

Quote:

Hm? Take your time lol, I've waited plenty long just to read Yureka the manga XD several years and resorting to raws now in fact....
Old 2013-03-18, 04:38   Link #1251
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist

Urgh, the naming in this story is killing me. Joke aside, moving to extracting PG.5
Old 2013-03-18, 05:36   Link #1252
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobarta View Post
Hm? Take your time lol, I've waited plenty long just to read Yureka the manga XD several years and resorting to raws now in fact....
Okay, that's...really long. I'm dumbfounded by your patience.

Anyway, like he said. Pg5 now
Old 2013-03-18, 05:42   Link #1253
cramped

Okay, I am going to die once more. Ch.1 isn't finished yet and the Chinese released yet another one.
Old 2013-03-18, 05:46   Link #1254
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Lots of fun under the sun for everyone, it seems. Well let's take it at a good pace, and take it as it comes.

CH 1 first. And then, ZA WARUDO!

Anyway, Status Page edited. Again.

Last edited by XenahortCharybdis; 2013-03-19 at 12:26. Reason: Status page edit.
Old 2013-03-18, 08:54   Link #1255
cramped

PG.6 finished extracting. Once more, I will never get used to this series naming of place/person etc. which is jumbled up from many country.

Last edited by cramped; 2013-03-19 at 06:46. Reason: ranting
cramped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:24   Link #1256
noobarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramped View Post
PG.6 finished extracting. Once more, I will never get used to this series naming of place/person etc. which is jumbled up from many country.
Hmm unsure of how complicated they are.

Are you guys translating straight from a book or a document?

If it's a document then I'd recommending just copying the characters and their english/google translated forms down onto a sheet for easy access. That way, it'd be possible to ctrl F and then replace any commonly used terms.

Sorry can't do anything to help but thank you very much for the efforts _(._.)_ XD
Old 2013-03-19, 22:40   Link #1257
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:

If it's a document then I'd recommending just copying the characters and their english/google translated forms down onto a sheet for easy access. That way, it'd be possible to ctrl F and then replace any commonly used terms.

Sorry can't do anything to help but thank you very much for the efforts _(._.)_ XD
Hey, thanks for the advice! We *are* actually translating for a document. Some of the trouble lies with knowing the original root of the name - like with Duke Thernadier. Without knowing that his name is mostly likely of Frankish/French origin the approximation of his name in Chinese barely sounds like anything that makes sense. Got lucky with that one though - hooray for Les Mis!

But yeah, we're still going good. Will post up another status update page sometime either today or tomorrow.

Last edited by XenahortCharybdis; 2013-03-19 at 22:41. Reason: Two four six oh OOOOONE~!!!
Old 2013-03-20, 03:13   Link #1258
cramped

Quote:

Truth be told, google translate doesn't help much if it isn't an English name; plus most of it will come out making less sense than ever.
P.S.Okay, now I am the one falling behind the schedule.

Last edited by cramped; 2013-03-20 at 09:42. Reason: crazy
cramped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-20, 19:58   Link #1259
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Right, thread. We've been a bit quiet for a while. But rest assured we're not dead - we're just not superhuman. And this post is late, I crashed a bit hard last night.

Lesson learned, never do translation first and then fan-fiction.

Okay, Status Update!

cramped's raw trans: Part 8/11

Xena's trans edit: Starting on part 7 some time today.

Estimated Completion Date: Saturday/Sunday. - yes we finally grew some realism and decided that one-point-something parts per day was a good enough speed for us.

Still Doing Chapter 2?: Yes. It's been a fun ride and well it looks like this translation train has no brakes people~

Method of Posting: Same as stated before.

Are There Going To Be Translator's Notes?: Yes. Yes, there will be. There are also a lot of translator's complaints. We can put them into a rant form at the very bottom of the chapter if you don't mind hearing them and then having to use some ear bleach afterwards! I promise it will be quite enlightening to see the Loving/Hating-The-Author process that is translating through our eyes.

How many words are we talking about here?: Something along the lines of 13000 is my estimate. After clearing 6 parts out of 11 our word count is 7000 words. Light novel? My little toe is laughing, author!

Last edited by XenahortCharybdis; 2013-03-20 at 20:05. Reason: For my laughing little toe, what else?
Old 2013-03-20, 22:37   Link #1260
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

Hey guys a translator named mizuho/sinemerald on sakurahonyaku wordpress is having a poll on what to translate next and madan ou is one of them, it's a close tie between madan and eden so if anyone loves this series and have some free time then join the poll xD
ps: thks xena and cram for translating vol6 you guys rock
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, politics, romance, seinen, strategy, true harem, war(s)