AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-02-02, 17:44   Link #21
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Bleach is a weird one, but i understand it. Ichigo's hair is bleached basically.
but that's still a pretty dumb name.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 17:57   Link #22
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
It's Erementar Gerad, it's pronounced like it is in the anime, and it is the stone on the Edel Raids' bodies.
Ah so? Why is the English name of the anime "Elemental Gelade"? In my view, "Erementar" is a misspelling of "Elemental" by the Japanese staff in the first place, since "Elemental" almost makes sense, while "Erementar" is meaningless in any language, as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Kaze no Stigma
I still don't know why they used the word "Stigma". Sure Kazuma was an outcast, but why is his power referred to as Kaze on Stigma? I really don't know. Weird name.
I think that "The Stigma of Wind" refers to the fact that Wind was looked down upon by Fire users, but I'm not really sure. Especially considering that Kazuma was an outcast before he became a wind-user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medousa View Post
Well, actually, "La vérité" mean "The Truth".
And more specifically, there are 2 versions of the anime, by different studios. The second one was entitled "La Verite" because it was supposed to be a more truthful rendition of the source material. But since both of them got somewhat poor ratings, I'm not sure how much that matters I agree that the title comes off sounding too wordy and nonsensical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (Would you ever guess this show is about music and that that is the band's incredibly silly name without knowing ahead of time)
I would have thought... a Mongolian motorcycle gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopper_%28motorcycle%29
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 18:12   Link #23
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Ah so? Why is the English name of the anime "Elemental Gelade"? In my view, "Erementar" is a misspelling of "Elemental" by the Japanese staff in the first place, since "Elemental" almost makes sense, while "Erementar" is meaningless in any language, as far as I know.
Saa? You'd have to ask the original manga-ka and the person who decided to change it to Elemental Gelade.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 19:13   Link #24
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
Bleach is a weird one, but i understand it. Ichigo's hair is bleached basically.
That's what I hear but that doesn't really make sense. Who would base the title of an anime on a character's hair?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 19:24   Link #25
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Strawberry Panic- never got the panic part.
Kotetsu Jeeg-The Jeeg par is just weird for me.
Old 2008-02-02, 19:27   Link #26
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
No, it isn't a misspelling. The "r" and "L" issue has been brought up before when commenting upon the title of Sola. Have a look at these two posts

first

second
Old 2008-02-02, 20:21   Link #27
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
Eh, if you bleach black hair, it turns into a deep yellow color, nowhere near Ichigo's orange. (I have a Japanese friend who bleached his hair when he was in middle school.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Strawberry Panic- never got the panic part.
Kotetsu Jeeg-The Jeeg par is just weird for me.
Panic probably refers to the panic/scramble/etc. of the many female characters in their relationships and such.
Something along those lines.

Again, I'll say "Bleach" and agree with the op on "Dragon BallZ"
I also find names that are seemingly pulled out of nowhere quite interesting, though often stupid, Lamune (Lemonade? Okay, sure.), Myself; Yourself, Rec, Pani Poni Dash!, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (the Gurren Lagann really was pulled out of nowhere.)
Names that hold some sort of deeper meaning, such as "Da Capo", "Sola" (wow.), "Air", "Clannad", and co. are usually pretty cool, though, as you feel as if the series has some deeper meaning or something similar.
The titles that have meaningful names that are ambiguous are also interesting, "ef" - a Tale of Memories, "Kanon" some to mind, as you know they mean something, but you don't know quite what.
Kanon is apparently Pachelbel's Kanon dur D, but I'm basing that off of wikipedia, though I had some thoughts of Canon when I first watched the series.
Apparently, ef is either "Euphoric Field", "Eternal Feather", or "Ever and Forever", but as all three came to light after the game was released ("Eternal Feather" is only a translation of the game OP's song title), neither are likely true.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 20:30   Link #28
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Apparently, ef is either "Euphoric Field", "Eternal Feather", or "Ever and Forever", but as all three came to light after the game was released ("Eternal Feather" is only a translation of the game OP's song title), neither are likely true.
ef is the third in a series. The first two are ab and cd.
Spoiler:
Old 2008-02-02, 20:41   Link #29
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Eh, if you bleach black hair, it turns into a deep yellow color, nowhere near Ichigo's orange. (I have a Japanese friend who bleached his hair when he was in middle school.)
Not totally true. If i were to bleach MY black hair, it would turn RED. my mom (full blooded japanese) would have he same issue with her hair.
my hair has sunbleached a dark auburn (but still almost black) however, it has red undertones. my goatee has 2 stripes of fire red in it. the red comes from no where else BUT my mother's side, as my dad's family is nothing but blond hair and blue eyes. no one in the entire family has red hair.

I'm almost tempted to bleach part of my hair orange, but i really don't want to. I do find orange strands of hair quite often. i also thought my red streaked goatee was a result of not shaving it and it getting sunbleached, so i shaved it. It has grown back and those red streaks are still there.

so as absurd as it may sound, even black hair can turn orange if it has the right undertones. my hair has red undertones, so if i bleach it, it goes orange. my mom's hair is the same way.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 20:55   Link #30
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
No, it isn't a misspelling. The "r" and "L" issue has been brought up before when commenting upon the title of Sola. Have a look at these two posts

first

second
Just because the Japanese have an issue with proper romanization, doesn't make it right. While it may be interchangeable in the context of Japanese sounds, it is still a misspelling.

English itself is rife with these misspellings. "Their" when used in reference to a location is a misspelling despite having the exact same pronunciation as "there", which is the proper spelling. You can't just base spelling solely on the pronunciation of the word, especially when translating to English, because English has a crapload of homonyms.
Old 2008-02-02, 21:49   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
The Big O
Lol, this could be taken as innuendo by some. XD
The American online retailer, Overstock.com, became widely known by having a young Scandanavian woman face the camera and intone seductively, "it's all about the O."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 22:48   Link #32
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Kanon is apparently Pachelbel's Kanon dur D, but I'm basing that off of wikipedia, though I had some thoughts of Canon when I first watched the series.
In this case, the wiki is right. In episode 14 (which is Sayuri's backstory), that song is playing in the background of the restaurant that she and Yuuichi are in and she comments on it:
Quote:
While repeating the same melody over and over again, the chords become richer little by little, until they begin to resonate with each other beautifully
Which also references the themes of the anime as well.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 23:15   Link #33
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

oh and another one

bobobobo bobobo bobobobo

geez..
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 23:29   Link #34
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
oh and another one

bobobobo bobobo bobobobo

geez..
That's pretty stupid Sumomo mo momo mo, I don't have too much problem with... it makes no sense at all in the context of the anime, but it is fun to try to say, and the (sub-)main character is named Momoko.
Old 2008-02-02, 23:38   Link #35
Lintendo

Quote:
ef is the third in a series. The first two are ab and cd.
Spoiler:
Haha, that's clever.

As for Bleach, I think it has something to do with "purifying" souls. Purifying => whitening => bleaching. That's how I interpret it.

As for titles I'm not particularly fond of:

Code Geass (I thought it had to do with geese (the duck-like bird), then after watching it, gayass... bleh)
Princess Tutu (one of the reasons why I've been avoiding watching it despite hearing endless praise)
Fantastic Children
Zettai Shounen
Myself Yourself

I have a pet peeve whenever some they throw in some random Engrish/any other foreign word in to make it sound unique. It just comes off as pretentious.
Lintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 00:49   Link #36
bayoab

Quote:
Shin Shirayukihime Densetsu Pretear, since it is really long and makes no sense. Translates to "New Snow White Princess Legend Pretear".
That would be because you translated it wrong. The proper translation is "The New Legend of Snow White: Pretear" and it makes perfect sense. The entire show is a retelling of the story of Snow White.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 02:06   Link #37
Echoes

The only objectionable name I can think of is "Ichigo 100%."
I'm not saying it's an arbitrary tile or anything, but I just hated it.
Old 2008-02-03, 03:38   Link #38
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Just because the Japanese have an issue with proper romanization, doesn't make it right. While it may be interchangeable in the context of Japanese sounds, it is still a misspelling.
What misspelling ? There are no misspellings there, and the "problem" of romanization is ours, not their. How a title might sound in English if someone were to romanize it is not exactly the prime concern of a Japanese writer, wouldn't you agree ? Just because it doesn't sound like you would want it to in your language, doesn't mean it is misspelled. It even has both titles as "official" ones as both are "correct" (Notice that if you Replace the "r"s in Erementar Gerad you end up with Elemental Gelad), so i don't see what is there to complain about, and since it refers directly to something within the context of the show, it is not something devoid of meaning either.
Old 2008-02-03, 06:15   Link #39
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

"Go away, I'm watching new episodes of My Omelette."
Old 2008-02-03, 09:21   Link #40
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
ARIA the Origination does sound like something they randomly pulled out of the air but definately not Engrish!
I see, looks like they pick a word from dictionary disregarding it is commonly used or not.

Like Murder Princess I mentioned before, Scrapped Princess, Exiled or Banished Princess are more appropriate. Sounds like they they would name Recycled Princess as the sequel

And Samurai Champloo, what in the world is champloo?

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence
kucigaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote