AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sakurasou

Notices

Old 2012-11-08, 03:14   Link #741
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
I'm a bit annoyed that the show took such a cliche turn...

Female classmate that loves male MC ends up living in same building, gets in the way of the two main character's relationship, argues about anything that the male MC would do for the female MC... *zzzzzzz*

I was actually hoping that it would be Sorata who would teach Mashiro on how to take care of herself. Nanami moving in is just a boring move for me... I would've preferred she stayed a classmate that eventually confesses her feelings. I don't dislike her (yet), it's just I don't find her type of tsundere interesting or entertaining.
I kinda agree with this, though I retain hope that Aoyama's character will be taken in a direction that doesn't revolve around her being a persistent handbrake in development between Mashiro and Sorata. So far the show has been pretty good at surprising us with would-be cliche situations that ended up being more than just that, so I would expect something similar here.

While it's without question that romantic conflict (perhaps unfortunately) is going to play a part here, I have my doubts whether they are going to make that the focus of Aoyama's character. Yes, she has a crush on Sorata, but her overbearing goal for now seems to be her voice acting career. Once she inevitably blows up from all the pressure and is forced to confront her reasons for behaving the way she does (which I don't doubt is coming), I'd be somewhat surprised if she doesn't dial down her overbearing attitude.

And I definitely don't think that that Aoyama is the one who will end up teaching Mashiro how to take care of herself better. Down the road remains to be seen, but for now Mashiro doesn't even like Aoyama, and I don't get the impression she is particularly inclined to listen to her (on that note, Mashiro looked uncharacteristically defiant after blowing up the watermelon. Normally she doesn't even blink when doing any of her unusual stuff, but there it almost looked like an act of defiance against Aoyama ). To the point she goes to sleep in Sorata's room so she doesn't have to see her in the morning.

Suffice to say, Sorata couldn't have been more wrong in his assessment that the two of them get along, but then again he ain't particularly sharp when it comes to these things, as the episode clearly showed the arrangement not working too well. I would guess that Mashiro is "putting up" with it for now because it supposedly helps Sorata with his work, but otherwise I don't see the situation lasting. I would be very surprised if Sorata doesn't have "Mashiro duty" back for himself in near future.

So ... yeah, I don't see Aoyama teaching Mashiro much, simply because Mashiro doesn't look like she is about to listen to her. Contrast Mashiro usually ending up doing the stuff Sorata asks of her, like actually studying, going to clarify what she meant to Aoyama, not grabbing stuff without paying and similar, to her ignoring Aoyama saying that she shouldn't be having Sorata fold her laundry and asking him again. Until it was mentioned that he doesn't have the time because of the need to focus on his game. Unless a major paradigm shift happens between the two girls, I don't see Aoyama getting anywhere with Mashiro.

So I can perfectly understand feeling somewhat annoyed about moving Aoyama in to Sakurasou, an act that's bound to conveniently interrupt a number of scenes that would otherwise develop in to development between Mashiro/Sorata, but so far I don't think it's that bad. The show has shown itself to be better than that thus far, and I don't see Mashiro becoming less Sorata-focused with Aoyama around.
Old 2012-11-08, 03:16   Link #742
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 05:

Other than Aoyama moving to Sakurasou, I can't believe that Yoshitsugu Matsuoka's performance is over the top!

"COME BACK!"
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 03:39   Link #743
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
And I definitely don't think that that Aoyama is the one who will end up teaching Mashiro how to take care of herself better. Down the road remains to be seen, but for now Mashiro doesn't even like Aoyama, and I don't get the impression she is particularly inclined to listen to her (on that note, Mashiro looked uncharacteristically defiant after blowing up the watermelon. Normally she doesn't even blink when doing any of her unusual stuff, but there it almost looked like an act of defiance against Aoyama ). To the point she goes to sleep in Sorata's room so she doesn't have to see her in the morning.
Ah... I can't believe that went over my head. I just thought Mashiro went to sleep in Sorata's room just because she misses spending time with him. It didn't even register with me that she was doing that to avoid Nanami even though Mashiro clued us in on it... When Mashiro said that she's trying to avoid Nanami waking her up in the morning, I took that as "I want Sorata to wake me up" instead of her expressing her dislike of Nanami. However, both scenarios are possible.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 03:55   Link #744
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Ah... I can't believe that went over my head. I just thought Mashiro went to sleep in Sorata's room just because she misses spending time with him. It didn't even register with me that she was doing that to avoid Nanami even though Mashiro clued us in on it... When Mashiro said that she's trying to avoid Nanami waking her up in the morning, I took that as "I want Sorata to wake me up" instead of her expressing her dislike of Nanami. However, both scenarios are possible.
Aye, I definitely do think it's a combination of both. I guess I came across as implying she was doing so only because of not wanting to see Aoyama, which wasn't my intention. Probably because I was focusing on why I don't think Aoyama will have much of an impact on Mashiro.

But yes, it's a combination of both things. Her appreciating Sorata's presence, combined with the fact that Aoyama's company doesn't do much for her. Like her mentioning she hasn't been sleeping well lately, contrasting to being fast asleep in Sorata's company. Perhaps an outright dislike might be too strong of a word, but she is certainly not fond of Aoyama's antics. From the various looks Mashiro displayed throughout the episode, I got the impression she would like to simply tune her out

How the two continue interacting remains to be seen, but for now I don't think we are in any real danger of Aoyama stealing "Mashiro duty" for long.
Old 2012-11-08, 04:30   Link #745
garbage

Quote:

How the two continue interacting remains to be seen, but for now I don't think we are in any real danger of Aoyama stealing "Mashiro duty" for long.
well they better go back to Sorata fast ... or else we'll get to see the initiation of PLAN C
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 06:22   Link #746
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Episode 05:

Other than Aoyama moving to Sakurasou, I can't believe that Yoshitsugu Matsuoka's performance is over the top!

"COME BACK!"
I completely agree. He has been doing IMO an amazing job.
Old 2012-11-09, 02:50   Link #747
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

I just finished watching EP04, that has to be one of the best final episodes I ever watched. Great Anime, but a bit short.
Old 2012-11-09, 02:51   Link #748
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
I just finished watching EP04, that has to be one of the best final episodes I ever watched. Great Anime, but a bit short.
...I can't tell if you're kidding or not
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 02:53   Link #749
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
It's no where near being over.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 02:57   Link #750
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I would like to assume he was being sarcastic while saying that

One has to admit that episode 4 did almost feel like a finale, considering the issues tackled aren't that dissimilar to what we would expect from your typical anime endgame stuff.
Old 2012-11-09, 03:04   Link #751
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
One has to admit that episode 4 did almost feel like a finale, considering the issues tackled aren't that dissimilar to what we would expect from your typical anime endgame stuff.
That's it, exactly^^
Old 2012-11-09, 17:43   Link #752
Ghanw
(-_-)

There probably will be more of these type of scenes due to it being animed from a LN which is based on Volumes.
I wonder what more kind of suprises does the show has stored for us.
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 18:06   Link #753
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Would've been funnier if you also mentioned that you were awaiting the second season.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 18:16   Link #754
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Lol. So now we're either going to get six more tries to create something as good; or else an anime that builds to something higher than this. Pretty good either way.

With a total of 24 episodes, they've given themselves lots of room to grow.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 18:26   Link #755
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... well, in some ways after watching ep 5 I found myself feeling very sorry for almost every character in the series - they all have so many internal failings, shortcomings, or such that really are making their lives difficult, and what is more they almost all seem dimly aware of the fact yet do not know practically how to "deal with it" or change, even if it should cause difficulties for the ones they each want to be close to.

But the feeling sorry for them came from both a sense of empathizing and finding myself moved by them at the same time (and they do not always go hand in hand btw). They remind me a little of some of the wacky characters from some of the Dickens' novels ... which is a good thing for me btw.

In many ways I did not expect such "realism" to jump out at me in this odd, jumbled, awkward and yet endearing series. I am very curious, though, to see where they will go with the series for 24 eps. Thus far it somehow had the "feel" of a 12-13 ep series to me....
Old 2012-11-09, 19:35   Link #756
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Wasn't ep.4 the last for the first volume of the source material
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 22:13   Link #757
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I took episode 4 as the end of an arc (Possibly first novel?)

Since I know that there's like 7 novels (There's a cd dorama subbed somewhere, taking place between 6/7 methinks) I would really like to know what happens next.

AOYAMA FTW. The only reason she's not my avatar is because Nikutani is just a little bit better because I can relate to her somehow.

Aoyama's attitude is priceless. Stubborn as hell. I love that.

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 22:50   Link #758
tsunade666

Episode 04 is the end of the first volume
there are (I think) 8 current volumes and the story will end on vol 10 which was scheduled next year thus maybe they will do this like Toradora. They will end the anime together with the novel.
Old 2012-11-10, 05:44   Link #759
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Episode 04 is the end of the first volume
there are (I think) 8 current volumes and the story will end on vol 10 which was scheduled next year thus maybe they will do this like Toradora. They will end the anime together with the novel.
I don't think they will end this with the novel if that one is still a year away.
Old 2012-11-10, 08:36   Link #760
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I don't think they will end this with the novel if that one is still a year away.
Next year = sometime next year, not a full year away and being 2 cour this show runs for a while next year.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, slice of life