AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-23, 20:48   Link #61
Miwako
***** cadet

Send a message via MSN to Miwako
My favorite japanese band of all time has to be Asain Kung Fu Generation, they are a 60ish 70ish type band that I think was inspired by mayb weezer but I'm not really sure. I first heard them in the second opening of naruto, the name of the song was Haruka Kanata and it was great. Right now I have the lastest Cd of theirs, Fanclub.
Old 2006-06-24, 02:27   Link #62
Aoi_chan
☆ガ♂ル☆

I'd have to say at the moment one of my favorite bands is Plastic Tree. I love their songs and the way they approach songwriting. Ryutaro's mellow voice gives a nice flow to the music and fits very nicely with their style, especially with songs like "Tsumetai Hikari" and their PV's are always so imaginative and beautiful.

Another fave recently (and always), is Dir en grey. I never get tired of these guys, and I can't wait to hear their new single next month. They keep evolving their sound and Kyo has such a way of expressing the lyrics in their lives that it will leave you speechless (ei: Mushi from Blitz 5 Days.)

As far as jpop goes I would have to say Utada Hikaru is on the top of my list. I would especially say so after hearing her newer material.

Luna Sea is another favorite of mine. This is another band I never get tired of, and I can't find a song of theirs I don't like.

Another fave band Gazette, I love these guys! Reita is such a talented bassist and that band has a funky unique sound that has made them pretty well known throughout the jrock fandom. I love their old stuff as well as the new.
Old 2006-06-24, 02:41   Link #63
beansprouts
五月天

Some of the Japanese bands that I listen to and really like would be Orange Range, Glay and Remioromen. I listen to random Johnny Entertainment boybands as well, most of them can't sing, but their songs are sure genki and alot of fun to listen to.

Glay went on a hiatus and hadn't release a single for more than a year and a half, they are so coming back with a bang this summer with a quadruple A side single. I've already heard 3 out of the 4 songs in the single, and I can't wait to see Glay performing these songs live.

Orange Range is another band that I listen to frequently, I was introduced to them when they sang the first OP for Bleach. Got addicted pretty quickly, their brand of rock mixed with hip hop and pop is certainly very refreshing.

Remioromen just released their album recently, their most successful to date. They are very underrated in my opinion, they have been producing awesome tracks for a long time but due to lack of publicity, they never quite made it big. Thanks to 1 litre of tears (the jdrama) whereby they had two insert songs, they suddenly became hot property.
Old 2006-06-24, 04:31   Link #64
ShuiMei

I'm on board with the SPITZ and remioromen love. SPITZ's music is just so enchanting and mellow, but at the same time they manage too be so uplifting. Their kind of melodic rock really sits well with me, they almost have the same happy-side effects that V6's music has on me. I totally know what you mean beansprouts when you say that Johnny's songs are genki and fun to listen to, they really know how to pick up your mood.

remioromen is just wonderful too, I got into them with their ether album, I loved minami kaze and went out to find their stuff on eBay, they're great. I'm glad to see them getting the recognition they deserve with the success of konayuki and the 1 Litre of Tears drama, it is a great great track, it's so good. I just melt when I hear that song xD

I also really like Suther Rand and UNDER GRAPH, they both have a similar sound, a mellow sort of melodic indie rock that I really enjoy, kind of like Mr. Children.
Old 2006-06-25, 07:30   Link #65
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
YUNA ITO - The one, the only. My precious (pun intended). Although she's only released her third single so far (4th and 5th coming soon), this woman stole the title of my current no.1 favourite from the moment I heard her the first time. No other singer has made such a quick and sudden impact like Yuna-chan did and from the first hit 'til now, she is one who makes me forget about all the rest. NOBODY else can compare. I basically like ALL of her songs, but her best easily has to be 'Precious'.

Tomiko Van - Ah...! I always have a special place for this woman. Go Banchan! Finally went solo, and ma, I'll always recognise and iconise her voice. 'Farewell' - awesome album.

Miliyah Kato - Young, fresh, different, this is a modern woman who isn't as cliche as most others. Love her very recognisable voice and her songs are well thought out. 'Beautiful' and 'Jounetsu' have still got me.

Tackey & Tsubasa - I hate boy groups/duets/bands etc., but these guys are actually not bad.

T.M Revolution - OMG*GUNDAMSEEDSPAM*OMG

Tamaki Nami - See T.M Revolution. And also, Realize was a very nice and sweet song - it was probably one of the most meaningful themes me and a friend had. The lyrics are tuff.

Kyoko Fukada - lol... um... by far the worst outta this list and probably in this whole thread, but I still love her ^^
Old 2006-06-25, 07:44   Link #66
lavielove

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Flores
Kyoko Fukada - lol... um... by far the worst outta this list and probably in this whole thread, but I still love her ^^
No, she's still doing well if I have to compare with Ogura Yuko But both of them are cute, so the voices are somewhat skeptical
Old 2006-06-25, 10:58   Link #67
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

Send a message via Yahoo to Truth-kun
I don't really know much of J-pop/rock, but these are my favorite japanese bands / idols:

T.M. Revolution (Though they broke up I think)
Bump of Chicken
YUKI (Her voice is so cute)
Hirano Aya (Of course! <3)
Old 2006-06-25, 11:09   Link #68
syntex
Error 641

mflo and namie amuro, and melody a must if your into r&b and hip hop
Old 2006-06-25, 12:02   Link #69
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

I don't really listen too jpop/rock except Shéna Ringo and her band Tokyo Jihen, Omnyouza, Kokia .... and a little Visual Kei too like Malice Mizer, Moi Dix Mois (not the last album which sucks) and Schwarz Stein.
Old 2006-06-26, 05:09   Link #70
Celes__

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
Hikki became a rocker and I don't like her anymore. She has an amazing voice and attraction,she should still singing pop and groove like before.
Boa, become quite fat. Need more excercises ^^;;
^^;;
What are you talking about??
Hikki is nothing like a rocker. You should check her stuff more carefully. She only has 2 songs that are considered rock and they are so old.

And Boa becoming fat?????
actually her fans were worried some time ago because she got too skinny. And she is still underweight. Maybe you haven't checked her recent stuff???
Old 2006-06-26, 06:56   Link #71
lavielove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celes__
What are you talking about??
Hikki is nothing like a rocker. You should check her stuff more carefully. She only has 2 songs that are considered rock and they are so old.

And Boa becoming fat?????
actually her fans were worried some time ago because she got too skinny. And she is still underweight. Maybe you haven't checked her recent stuff???
We have a freedom to choose things. if you have your own reason,I have mine too.I'm not contributing information in here.If my post bother you alot,sorry,I can't help it.If you want to show off how much you like them,say it in your own post.
Old 2006-06-26, 09:21   Link #72
Celes__

It's not a matter of opinions or a matter of how much I like them,, it's a matter of facts. Hikki doesn't make rock music. And BoA is thinner now than ever. Of course you can post whatever you want, but these things you've posted are not true.
Old 2006-06-26, 11:24   Link #73
lavielove

Quote:
It's not a matter of opinions or a matter of how much I like them,, it's a matter of facts. Hikki doesn't make rock music. And BoA is thinner now than ever. Of course you can post whatever you want, but these things you've posted are not true.
Are you discussing about someone you want to bash ? or discussing about "Your favourite jpop/jrock artist (or band)". Why didn't you post a link about Hikki saying she never make rock music in her life and the comparison of weight ratio BoA had three years ago and now.I already told that I was not contributing information in this thread.
Old 2006-06-26, 13:00   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Please do not confuse what may be a well supported opinion with the word "fact".
"Hikki doesn't make rock music" is an opinion .... and by your own post untrue since she made two tracks that you label "rock". The labels "pop" and "rock" have a lot of overlap along with "R&B", "blues", and a half dozen other so-called categories. Lavie can call her stuff "rock" but then I've seen some pretty amazing things asserted as "rock" by the music industry.

"BoA is thinner now than ever" is an opinion (as is Lavie's assertion she's "fat"). Frankly I'm sure she was thinner when she was much younger. If *you* think she's pretty, thats all that matters, but its an opinion.

Now, "rock" and "pop" are very ill-defined terms. The point of the thread is post what your favorites are...not to attack others. I can argue that musically most of what the Rolling Stones played was country-western but because they were electrified, no one noticed.

In my list above, I forgot to include KOTOKO .... some of her tunes I'd call rock, some pop. I'm sure I could also stick "techno" on it, also ZONE has a wide variety of tunes. The singer Ua does everything from cabaret to rock to ballad to traditional to extremely experimental.

Most of the j-groups I've heard tend to drift around in their sounds --- they just don't stick in one type of noise so on one track I may hear something close to metal followed immediately by a pop ballad track. They don't seem to have the same restrictions on the types of sounds they can explore as U.S. corporate bands.

edit: for those who like guitar work .... here's a new band called "METALCHICKS" .... two small japanese women tearing up their guitars fused into dance-able music. Looks fairly promising but I've not snared a sample to hear yet.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-06-26 at 14:16.
Old 2006-06-27, 01:01   Link #75
Celes__

Quote:
Please do not confuse what may be a well supported opinion with the word "fact".
"Hikki doesn't make rock music" is an opinion .... and by your own post untrue since she made two tracks that you label "rock".
You don't understand my point because you don't know the information I'm talking about.
Actually, I don't think he has that opinion, I think he posted it just for fun, or for bashing the singers, because who can seriously think that Hikki is a rocker when she only has 2 rock songs in all her discography? and who can seriously think that BoA is FAT when she is so skinny now that many of her fans have been worried that she might be anorexic? It's impossible to have such opinions. Maybe you understand my point now.

-Dreams Come True. They have been there for 18 years, and it seems that they still have a long way to go. She has an amazing range, and she also can dance, has great English, writes the lyrics and the music... With a talent like that, it's not strange they are lasting that much.

Last edited by Celes__; 2006-06-28 at 00:49.
Old 2006-06-27, 03:30   Link #76
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Eh, Japanese music on the whole really doesn't interest me—I think a lot of exciting musical movements are going on in other places in the world. Or, it might be more accurate to say that Japanese music has been ruined for my by exposure to some pretty crap stuff... and anime fans tend to not be particularly discerning about music from Japan.

All that said, Mono are from Japan, and also happen to be very good post-rock. To get a feel for their sound, just check out the first track from their latest album "Are You There" entitled "The Flames Beyond the Cold Mountain." Fantastic.

I also enjoy The Brilliant Green from time to time, and Tommy February6/Heavenly6 appeals to me from a self-aware, style experiment point of view.

If anyone's really cracked the Japanese indie scene (if there even is one), please recommend me some bands I might like. Favorite sounds from other places of the world include: Joni Mitchell, Sigur Rós, Boards of Canada, Mogwai, The Decemberists, Belle & Sebastian, Imogen Heap, Kings of Convenience, etc.
Old 2006-06-27, 08:19   Link #77
Gene Yuss
I Cheat at Solitare

Malice Mizer for me. Alas, they've broken up. D'espaires Ray are also good.
Old 2006-06-27, 12:38   Link #78
Remittance Man

Location: I live in the ruins of Gill's fortress. You'll see me there with Ryu...
Send a message via AIM to Remittance Man
I haven't listened to very much J-Pop, so right now...it's all about the Puffy!
Peace! Love! Pop!
Old 2006-06-29, 23:00   Link #79
ShuiMei

Quote:
You don't understand my point because you don't know the information I'm talking about.
Actually, I don't think he has that opinion, I think he posted it just for fun, or for bashing the singers, because who can seriously think that Hikki is a rocker when she only has 2 rock songs in all her discography? and who can seriously think that BoA is FAT when she is so skinny now that many of her fans have been worried that she might be anorexic? It's impossible to have such opinions. Maybe you understand my point now.
It's certainly not impossible to hold such opinions, but they are certainly poorly based opinions. When you compare BoA's body now to her body during her VALENTI/LOVE & HONESTY days, she is evidently thinner now, it is my opinion, but an opinion based on observation. She's lost most of her baby fat, her face isn't as rounded and her frame is more toned. She may have been smaller when she was younger but her face was certainly more round and her figure more rectangular.

I think she looks better now personally, I used to think her rather stocky looking. Her music hasn't been great as of late though, I think her older albums, while nothing particularly original, were more fun to listen to, 'Nanairo no Ashita ~brand new beat~' was fun though

As for Utada's music, labelling one's music as "rock" is certainly up to one's own intepretation, but it is an uncommon one, and one that I don't think holds much ground. However, I don't think Utada's music as of late can really be categorized into a specific genre of music since she's been mixing and blending styles as of late, it's not like several years ago where she would generally be put under Pop/R&B, she's definitely been experimenting with other genres, including rock influences, but I don't personally think the entirety of her music as of late can be classified as rock music. I used to like her a lot when I first got into Japanese music but my opinion of her has wavered in recent years.

Also, I don't see the harm is discussing these subjects, they are about artists some of us enjoy, some more than others, so what if we have conflicting opinions? A little discussion never hurt, and it's not entirely off-topic
Old 2006-06-30, 15:06   Link #80
Baka-neko
Nekosuki

Send a message via MSN to Baka-neko
Ahhh... jpop/jrock.... so much crap that doesn't get me interested or just sounds horrible (Most visual kei's, like Malice Mizer.)

Then there are the best ones.

L'arc~en~ciel. Ah.... So many good songs and only few average. Definately one of my favourites

SIAM SHADE Yes... SIAM SHADE my long time favourite. I just love it, I would include DAITA to this one too as he was SIAM SHADE's guitarist. I love DAITA's solo works and I love SIAM SHADE.

Chisato Moritaka Recently found this one. Her newer albums sound more poppish. I just like her as a musician. Her voice could be better but the songs are composed well.
Closed Thread