Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-01, 16:11   Link #201
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Not really. Again, the main importance of the Gorousei is the knowledge they posses (something Blackbeard could easily acquire if he did go and kill them), and the war Dragon is staging against them and their organization (this is also the main reason I do not see Blackbeard suddenly appearing and killing the 5 elders - that is Dragon's job, not Blackbeard's). Additionally, even if the 5 leaders were to fall, that doesn't necessarily mean that the world would fall into chaos. It's not like the Marines would be gone, nor would the various kings or the Tenryubito, etc. But, even if chaos does come, that could be a very interesting story path.

In other words, there is no point of labeling something as "bad writing" before the events actually unfold.
My point is that we don't know everything there is to know about the WG at this point in time, so there wouldn't be that closure if the gorosei were to fall so abruptly. Furthermore, you are assuming the entirety of their role in the story, when it is not safe to do so just yet. Like you said, there is the whole conflict between Dragon and the WG that needs to be resolved, which makes it very unlikely that Blackbeard would just kill them off.
Old 2010-01-01, 16:21   Link #202
Talendra

I think you are using the term of bad writing a little too easy and fast... personally, i can't see at all why it would per se be bad writing to get rid of some characters who may - but dont necessarily will - play a important role. You don't have to get a awful lot of development on everything that has been introduced to be a good writer. It actually could make for a nice change of pace and style if Oda got rid of them without going into detail with them (he could make that indirect later on, through other characters and events anyways).

So no, you can't call it bad writing at all, as long as you don't even know how the story would play out by going that way. Oda may do something so amazingly surprising/funny/interesting whatever that it would be way better writing than merely doing some 5elder-star-arc with some development, explaining, tension rising and getting rid of them at the end of it.
Old 2010-01-01, 16:30   Link #203
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talendra View Post
I think you are using the term of bad writing a little too easy and fast... personally, i can't see at all why it would per se be bad writing to get rid of some characters who may - but dont necessarily will - play a important role. You don't have to get a awful lot of development on everything that has been introduced to be a good writer. It actually could make for a nice change of pace and style if Oda got rid of them without going into detail with them (he could make that indirect later on, through other characters and events anyways).
The probability of the WG falling now is too low. They are one of, if not the biggest antagonist group in the story currently. Given that One Piece is a shounen, factions of high importance and power (like the WG) are not taken out at such an early stage in the story (especially when they are shrouded in much secrecy).
Old 2010-01-01, 16:39   Link #204
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Given the organization of the Marines, and the general policies of the World Government, even if the 5 old dudes were taken, it wouldn't be the end of the organization. They'd either refill the positions with people like Sengoku, Garp, and that other really old VA, or they'd restructure. I think it'd be interesting to get rid of them without too much development. I can't say I'm really interested in them that much, especially considering they're the source of so many annoying things in the One Piece world.
Old 2010-01-01, 16:44   Link #205
Talendra

Killing off the elder stars does not necessarily have to mean the WG as a whole is going to fall, not at all. It could even help to improve the WGs role as an antagonist, if, for example, the assasination of the 5 stars by revolutionaries would result in some even more extreme hardliners to take their spots (that is actually how its in real life quite often), and some public backup for more extreme actions against piracy and revolutionists.

Killing off the elder stars might actually function as a trigger for showing the readers more of the WGs inner structure, giving it more diversity and complexity (which it, imo, stil lacks, compared to all the facetts we've seen from the marines and pirates).
Old 2010-01-01, 16:53   Link #206
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Given the organization of the Marines, and the general policies of the World Government, even if the 5 old dudes were taken, it wouldn't be the end of the organization. They'd either refill the positions with people like Sengoku, Garp, and that other really old VA, or they'd restructure. I think it'd be interesting to get rid of them without too much development. I can't say I'm really interested in them that much, especially considering they're the source of so many annoying things in the One Piece world.
I don't know. The fact of the matter is we don't even know if those old men are competent fighters or not, so it might not be as easy to get rid of them as some of you suspect.
Old 2010-01-01, 17:59   Link #207
Tenryuken
Pirate God

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Yeah you are right, Luffy should just leave his brother to his fate just because enemy is so damn strong and just because there are stronger people rescuing Ace.

Luffy should not went to Impel Down at first place because its just so damn stupid, he should have left Ace there. Going Impel Down alone? What an idiot.

Who cares about your only and dear big brothers live if there is super strong people all around, Luffy should just piss off and leave Ace to his fate, he would just get his ass kicked around, not worth of all pain...
This post is made of win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Mihawk could have split the giant gold fish by himself....
Yeah, rite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord90 View Post
Lastly, the supernovas have no business in Marinford and it's quite impossible for them to enter it because the three Gates of Justice open only to the Marines (except if they use coated ships).
Unless the Gates are in Metal.
Old 2010-01-01, 18:37   Link #208
Blackbeard D. Kuma

@Tenryuken - You can troll all you want about how weak Mihawk is, but no one here is going to take your bait. We're too smart for that, so have fun with your futile attempts .

Sorry for the off-topic post guys, but a friend of mine came up with a very interesting battle that I would really like to see take place in the future (or perhaps even in this war). The match-up is Sentoumaru vs. Jimbei. This works really well because both are powerful close-range physical fighters and neither of them have DF's. I wonder who would win that fight?
Old 2010-01-01, 18:46   Link #209
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
@Tenryuken - You can troll all you want about how weak Mihawk is, but no one here is going to take your bait. We're too smart for that, so have fun with your futile attempts .

Sorry for the off-topic post guys, but a friend of mine came up with a very interesting battle that I would really like to see take place in the future (or perhaps even in this war). The match-up is Sentoumaru vs. Jimbei. This works really well because both are powerful close-range physical fighters and neither of them have DF's. I wonder who would win that fight?
Well i guess it would depend on how near the sea they fighting , i think jinbei can take on anyone when he close to the sea.
Old 2010-01-01, 19:39   Link #210
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Well i guess it would depend on how near the sea they fighting , i think jinbei can take on anyone when he close to the sea.
Keep in mind also that Sentoumaru said his guard is world class level. This means that his defenses are nearly impenetrable, so that would really put Jimbei's fishman strength to the test. Sentoumaru also has his broad axe, so Jimbei would have to watch out for that. However, if Jimbei can somehow get Sentoumaru to fall in the ocean, then I agree that Jimbei automatically takes the win.
Old 2010-01-02, 05:48   Link #211
Warlord90

I think Sentoumaru can use Haki, but it's not enough to beat Jimbei.
It would be an interesting fight though.

The Royal Shichibukai !!!
Old 2010-01-03, 15:05   Link #212
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Keep in mind also that Sentoumaru said his guard is world class level. This means that his defenses are nearly impenetrable, so that would really put Jimbei's fishman strength to the test. Sentoumaru also has his broad axe, so Jimbei would have to watch out for that. However, if Jimbei can somehow get Sentoumaru to fall in the ocean, then I agree that Jimbei automatically takes the win.
The thought of Jinbei vs Sentoumaru never entered my mind until you mentioned it, but now that you mention it, I'd love to see the match.
I would love to see the showdown between uber sumo and fishman karate/jujutsu.
Old 2010-01-03, 18:51   Link #213
marvelB

I've also gotta admit that Jinbei vs. Sentoumaru sounds like a pretty awesome match-up. I mean, I still want to see Luffy pay back Sentoumaru for smacking him around at Sabaody, but I doubt our rookie friend has the time or energy to take him on at this point. Jinbei would definitely be a good opponent for him since he's not a fruit user either, as was already mentioned. Plus, seeing as the ocean is his element, he'd definitely be strong enough to force Vegapunk's bodyguard to show off his full potential (and maybe reveal whether or not that axe of his is a DF weapon)......

Edit: Just to let everyone know, there probably won't be a chapter this week since the current one was leaked much earlier than usual (which tends to happen during the holiday season). Since chapter 569 was on a double issue of Jump (which is a single issue that covers two weeks of the magazine, remember. It does NOT mean twice the amount of chapters), that means that we've got another break this week, as well. Sure, there's that slight chance that 570 may be leaked this week, but then that would mean waiting another two weeks for the next chapter. So most likely, spoilers for 570 will come out next week, back on schedule......

Last edited by marvelB; 2010-01-05 at 19:28.
Old 2010-01-05, 19:57   Link #214
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Ugh Lack of One piece is very disappointing.
Old 2010-01-07, 05:45   Link #215
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
One more week. But seriously, OP needs to move to a biweekly schedule. Of course, by biweekly i mean that it should have a twice a week release instead of a twice a month.
Old 2010-01-07, 12:23   Link #216
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
hmm
wtf is this
no one piece AGAIN this week?!
Old 2010-01-07, 20:45   Link #217
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Chapter 570 will be released next week?
Old 2010-01-07, 20:47   Link #218
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
Chapter 570 will be released next week?
Yes. Spoilers will be released January 11th at the earliest.
Old 2010-01-08, 00:58   Link #219
valk0v

3 more days for something to at least comment about
Old 2010-01-08, 15:40   Link #220
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
It really feels that this arc is moving a lot slower then others. Which is surprising when you consider how much is going on. I think what is partly to blame is that there have been so many full page panels.