AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-25, 01:09   Link #101
Articalys

http://space-dandy.com/blog/?p=153

Will be simulcast/broadcast on Cartoon Network in North America, and also on Animax Asia.
Articalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 01:17   Link #102
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articalys View Post
http://space-dandy.com/blog/?p=153

Will be simulcast/broadcast on Cartoon Network in North America, and also on Animax Asia.
It should be worth noting although they list Cartoon Network, it might actually mean Adult Swim. Japan has a habit of listing Adult Swim as Cartoon Network at times, from what I've seen.

Anyways, I wonder if this was supposed to be one of the announcements they had intended to make for Toonami next month. If so... guess the cats out of the bag now?

EDIT: Okay, Anime! Anime! confirmed it's airing on Adultswim. Not only that, it's being produced (and been licensed by) FUNimation.

EDIT #2: Toonami confirmed that the show will not only air on January 4th at 11:30PM, but they will also be premiering it before Japan (provided no schedule change occurs). Pretty big news, honestly!

It's also mentioned the series is 26 episodes, as opposed to 13. So unless United Stated are going to premiere more episodes than Japan is...

Last edited by ChibiGoku; 2013-10-25 at 04:58.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 09:13   Link #103
Utsuro no Hako

They must have the entire series finished, or close to it, if Toonami's going to be getting dubbed episodes (which I assume they will since they've never shown anything subbed).
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 09:17   Link #104
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
They must have the entire series finished, or close to it, if Toonami's going to be getting dubbed episodes (which I assume they will since they've never shown anything subbed).
I have a feeling that the show will be the second simuldub series since Black God.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 09:36   Link #105
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
It should be worth noting although they list Cartoon Network, it might actually mean Adult Swim. Japan has a habit of listing Adult Swim as Cartoon Network at times, from what I've seen.

Anyways, I wonder if this was supposed to be one of the announcements they had intended to make for Toonami next month. If so... guess the cats out of the bag now?

EDIT: Okay, Anime! Anime! confirmed it's airing on Adultswim. Not only that, it's being produced (and been licensed by) FUNimation.

EDIT #2: Toonami confirmed that the show will not only air on January 4th at 11:30PM, but they will also be premiering it before Japan (provided no schedule change occurs). Pretty big news, honestly!

It's also mentioned the series is 26 episodes, as opposed to 13. So unless United Stated are going to premiere more episodes than Japan is...
I just hope that it won't create any problems with finding subbed version (most likely it won't, but part of me is worrying )
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 09:57   Link #106
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
I just hope that it won't create any problems with finding subbed version (most likely it won't, but part of me is worrying )
Not if you have a Funimation subscription. Hopefully they'll get the episodes up soon after AS since I rely entirely upon streaming for TV viewing now.
Old 2013-10-25, 10:04   Link #107
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Not if you have a Funimation subscription. Hopefully they'll get the episodes up soon after AS since I rely entirely upon streaming for TV viewing now.
Alas, Funimation does not allow to watch their programs in Russia
Old 2013-10-25, 10:53   Link #108
neshru

Quote:
It's possible. Apparently the Japanese version of episode 8 was already being dubbed a month ago.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 21:30   Link #109
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Now that is just so sweet it being simulcast wondering who the dub voice cast is going to be
Old 2013-10-26, 11:53   Link #110
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

English dub is the worst kind of dub in anime.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 12:42   Link #111
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
English dub is the worst kind of dub in anime.
A rather closed-minded view, don't ya think?

Considering the dub is coming first, at the very least we can judge it on its own merits and not compare it to the Japanese at first.
Old 2013-10-26, 12:54   Link #112
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I won't compare it to original voicing. Just a personal opinion comparing to other dubs(German and Russian actually, never heard other dubs on anime). I can't remember even one good English anime dub but I could remember couple of good German and Russian dubs because english dubbing studios have really bad taste in choosing actors for dub. This is true only for anime BTW.
Old 2013-10-26, 13:14   Link #113
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
I won't compare it to original voicing. Just a personal opinion comparing to other dubs(German and Russian actually, never heard other dubs on anime). I can't remember even one good English anime dub but I could remember couple of good German and Russian dubs because english dubbing studios have really bad taste in choosing actors for dub. This is true only for anime BTW.
Well, while I don't watch English-dubbed anime , so I can't comment about it (the only thing I heard was English version of "God Knows" from Haruhi Suzumiya. Comparing to Japanese and Russian versions it was awful), I have to say that problems comes not with anime (subbed version are usually easy to find). Problem comes with Japanese games, when "good" developers (did I already said f*ck you, Capcom, for the Ace Attorney 5 with no Japanese voices in the West?") don't give player a choice.
Old 2013-10-26, 13:17   Link #114
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I don't play much last years so can't say anything about this.
Old 2013-10-26, 14:37   Link #115
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
That's a really odd thing to say in this particular thread considering Watanabe himself has praised the English dub of Cowboy Bebop.
Old 2013-10-26, 14:53   Link #116
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I'll tell you the shocking thing. I haven't watched Beebop yet. And one of my friends actually liked the English dub for it. But I'm talking of my personal impressions now.
Old 2013-10-26, 17:09   Link #117
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I would go so far as to say that the English dub of Cowboy Bebop surpasses the Japanese version. The show has a very Western vibe, so Western voices fit it better (on top of that, all of the VAs associated with it were very good -- some high quality talent). But that's just my opinion, of course.

In any case, only time will tell with Space Dandy.
Old 2013-10-26, 17:42   Link #118
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
The show has a very Western vibe, so Western voices fit it better
Western =/= English, though. (Never mind American English.) Also I never understood this argument. It's still a Japanese show created by Japanese people with a Japanese cultural background.

Me, I've never heard an English dub that I liked. I tried watching Bebop in English and nope, I don't get what's so stellar about it. It's decent, and with most names being in English at least the pronunciation didn't hurt my ears, but I don't see how it's objectively more enjoyable and authentic than the Japanese dub. Maybe it is for native speakers who perhaps appreciate things about it that I don't, but there's something about the performances that doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-10-26 at 18:53. Reason: one day I'll learn proper grammar
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 17:56   Link #119
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Western =/= English, though. (Never mind American English.) Also I never understood this argument. It's still a Japanese show created by Japanese people with a Japanese cultural background.
Oh, I know this. I didn't intend to imply that they were one in the same, so that was poor phrasing on my part. I just meant that the show doesn't have a blatantly Asian tone (at least to me it doesn't), so I find it easier to immerse myself in the story if the dialogue isn't blatantly Asian. As for the Japanese show by Japanese people thing, Bebop didn't contain any overpowering cultural references. They were there, but it was nothing you had to do deep research in order to understand the context of. So that doesn't mean much to me.

But, as I said in my previous post, that's all just my opinion. It's what works to my ears. I don't know if you meant me or someone else, but I never claimed objectivity to any part of this. It's an extremely subjective thing.
Old 2013-10-26, 19:54   Link #120
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I generally dislike American/Canadian dubs - my theory is that in live drama, Japanese actors overact way more than English-language actors and in animation, it's the reverse. FLCL is about the best English dub ever IMO, with Inuyasha and Outlaw Star also being excellent.

The larger point, though, is that because BONES doesn't follow the conventional marketing strategy that wins the day - i.e. target otaku or fujoshi and sell as many discs as you can - they need to be forward-thinking and creative if they're going to survive commercially. They've always been ahead of the curve at marketing to a Western audience, but that's even more vital to their survival now.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, retro sci-fi