AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2008-08-28, 14:04   Link #261
Zoe

YesAsia recently raised their free shipping minimum to $40. That kinda kills it for manga, IMO.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 02:29   Link #262
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

The best place I've found price-wise is bk1, which I found out about from earlier in this thread. It's a shopping-cart setup like Amazon, but the site's only available in Japanese. (Easy enough to figure out via Babelfish, or check out this guide.) They offer SAL and Sea shipping, which is cheaper than EMS. Using SAL, the price comes out to about what I pay at the local Kinokuniya, but the selection is better. I'm about to place an order with slow Sea shipping which will be somewhat cheaper.

I bought stuff from Amazon.co.jp a few years ago, but their shipping is killer.

YesAsia has decent pricing, but some of the stuff I've gotten from them had a bit of shelfwear. Now I only really trust them for CDs.

Cheap manga occasionally comes up on eBay too.
mako1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 11:30   Link #263
Nervous Venus

SAL shipping takes about 15 - 20 days or up to 5 weeks. There's no insurance, no tracking of any sort. They won't investigate your missing package unless it hits 3 months.

I'd say, go a bit safer, pay a bit extra for economy shipping or at least airmail.

As for ebay, I constantly sell off my collections on ebay (mostly new stuff I don't have room for), and will be doing so over the weekends, so if anybody's interested you could take a look then >_>;;; (shameless plug).
Old 2008-09-01, 05:24   Link #264
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about losing a package, or getting it more quickly. In a way it's fun because one month later, there's a package at your doorstep, and you're all like, oh right I totally ordered this.
Old 2008-09-02, 13:54   Link #265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've been having more luck with my local Kinokuniya Bookstores recently (but unless you're near one of the 3 or 4 in the US that's not terribly helpful).

Giving nippon-export.com a use this time with the 2 or 3 things I need to order.
Old 2008-09-03, 18:38   Link #266
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
Vexx: Yesasia completes all of my orders, it just takes over a month. But understandably so, as I get newer issues, and those are most likely preorders 19 days ahead of the release. However, there were times where they took 2 months, and that was killer.

amazon.co.jp used to have economy shipping. But now they only have the expedited one.
That's too bad. I wonder why they did that?

Has anyone tried ordering from the used and new section? Wouldn't that give cheaper shipping rates since you wouldn't be dealing with a buisness and the shipping rates would cost only what it would be to ship it to you?
KoiNoDensetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 02:01   Link #267
zero-ed

For all those people living in the UK, Waterstones currently have a 3 for 2 offer on all manga!!
zero-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 11:31   Link #268
Nervous Venus

Quote:
Has anyone tried ordering from the used and new section? Wouldn't that give cheaper shipping rates since you wouldn't be dealing with a buisness and the shipping rates would cost only what it would be to ship it to you?
Used section are from sellers within the country. Unfortunately, a majority only ship within Japan.
Old 2008-09-04, 22:51   Link #269
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
Used section are from sellers within the country.
Nooo! Amazon.jp is getting worse and worse for non-Japan residing customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus
Unfortunately, a majority only ship within Japan.
So, then some do ship to other countries? How can you tell?
KoiNoDensetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 05:29   Link #270
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Im from the UK and to be honest my local Waterstones are rubbish in terms of stock and price. even when a rare 3 for 2 comes up thats still going to be £12

Anywho i know a few sites thats built for english like Nippon-Expert and Benippon.
are these any good??? i know there a tad more expensive then bk1 but ive spent an hour getting ISBN numbers i used amazon.co.jp and there still not working ill keep trying though. so out of Benippon are they better than bk1 ???
Bk1 search is useless ive put ISBN number and ISBN 13 on amazon and playasia none work this search is silly ive even put the title the author and publisher in Japanese characters and still nothing . and im using the guide but they put the ISBN 13 number in and it worked mine hasnt .
EDIT

do not try putting in stuff while you using Yahoo Babelfish it DOESNT work with that on works now.

Last edited by ReizoSan; 2008-09-07 at 05:43.
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 05:42   Link #271
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
Anywho i know a few sites thats built for english like Nippon-Expert and Benippon.
Are you looking to purchase the manga in Japanese or are you looking for the English language release?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 06:56   Link #272
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Are you looking to purchase the manga in Japanese or are you looking for the English language release?
Im looking for Japanese as UK ones are way to expensive im not paying £6 for 1 manga books.
Old 2008-09-08, 17:12   Link #273
Nervous Venus

Koi: The seller usually tells you if they ship to US, though unfortunately it is in Japanese. I have yet to see a seller say they ship int'l. Sorry

Reizo: If you plan to import, it'll cost just as much as, unless you're planning to buy in bulk. BTW, where are you pulling the ISBN's from? I usually find manga easily on amazon.co.jp through ISBN. They've got a great search tool.
Old 2008-09-08, 18:29   Link #274
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Amazon is easier but BK1 wasnt working as i put Babelfish translator on.
I wanted some other stuff than Manga like some Artbooks + Magazines so its easier doing it this way.
Old 2008-09-09, 16:52   Link #275
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I'm just wondering is there any other site other then yesasia that sells chinese edition mangas? (since they're cheaper then english edition and I can read them). Yesasia raised the price of chinese manga to $9,99, honestly that is over priced for chinese manga, to my memory they used to sell it at $6,99 or less, which was acceptable.

Chinese or english sites are fine, it's be good if paypal can be used ^_^''
Old 2008-09-27, 13:29   Link #276
evil

Ordered some manga from BK1, they were quite fast in getting the books. Ordered on 9/20 was ready to ship by 9/21 And was shipped out on 9/22 received it on 9/26. Using OCS(Overseas Courier Service). Living on the east coast of USA. But price of OCS will increase from 9/30 onwards, according to a email they sent so EMS will be cheaper or theres always SAL. Price of books are definitely the cheapest I've seen so far.
I checked Nippon Exports, but some books were sometimes 1 or 2 dollars more. Was planning on trying them, but gonna just stick with BK1 for my other orders.
evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 02:20   Link #277
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

The other nice thing about bk1 is their point system: buy > ~$100 and you get ~$10 credit.

I went to my local Kinokuniya a few days ago and it seems that some of the markups are larger than they used to be.
Old 2008-10-01, 03:17   Link #278
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Guys.... there's this thing with shipping: it takes fuel. Fuel is twice is high as it was last year. If you go grocery shopping, you'll notice everything is more expensive -- even fruits and vegetables are rocketing up in price because it takes fuel to go from A to B.

I have very good luck with nippon-exports.com They try very hard to get anything I ask for. Also BK1... no problems from them.

I have no idea why the major booksellers are dropping all but the most expensive ways to ship (EMS). yeah, it guarantees arrival ... but i've never had a shipment lost using SAL or other cheaper methods.
Old 2008-10-01, 09:45   Link #279
sexg0d

Send a message via ICQ to sexg0d Send a message via MSN to sexg0d
another one for justmanga.com, cheapest place, good rewards system and incentives.

arrives fully protected in plastic within a week of shipment (international, australia sydney)

recommend these guys over all ^_^
Old 2008-10-14, 00:50   Link #280
Archmagination2002

How reliable is Himeyashop? I noticed that they are offering light novels now

I was looking for a place where I could by light novels(Japanese) and the only place where I could find that sold them in the US was Himeyashop. How reliable are they? I am a little leery of them because I usually buy from yesasia or sasugabooks and I would end up paying them a lot of money for the novels I want(kinda sucks considering that they go for 595 yen in japan and that coverts roughly $5.82 US and they have them marked up to $11) also their shipping prices seem very high. I would end up paying $106($67 books + $39 shipping) which is a lot of money.
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, import, japanese language, manga