AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Chapter 113 Rating
Perfect 10 50 45.87%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 25.69%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 11.93%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.42%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 5.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.92%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.92%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-05, 13:32   Link #441
BlackMagister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
As for the implanted part not being recognizable... unless Teresa told Clare off screen somewhere how Claymores are made (and the manga is very clear: "FLESH" and "blood"), the 'stigmata' clearly showed Clare what she needed to do.
If we look at Japanese food preparation, they are very bad at disguising what the original material was (when you want fish you get a fish - head and all - rather than a fillet). Perphaps MiB implants work in a similar way?
Clare had three choices. Take Teresa's entire body which would be difficult given it's size. Take Teresa's hands or take Teresa's head. Like I said before the head has the most personal significance to Clare it's not surprising that she choose that first and does not mean she knew you have to use the head for the process to become a Claymore.

I'm not really sure why you're proposing if Clare had a better understanding she would choose Yoma flesh vs Teresa's flesh. Her decision was emotional not rational and good luck trying to find Yoma flesh in a town filled with dead villagers and bandits. Also Clare has said she was fine with having Teresa's flesh when asked by Rubel if she was ok having it instead of a regular Yoma's flesh.

As for the stigmata if it was a scar not being gross enough for the bandits like others have said these people would not be used to surgical injuries. It could be a wound that is looks fresh, appear "raw" or look diseased which is plenty disgusting.
Spoiler for Real Life Scars from "Keloid" obviously don't open if easily grossed out:
Old 2011-03-05, 13:54   Link #442
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagister View Post
Clare had three choices. Take Teresa's entire body which would be difficult given it's size. Take Teresa's hands or take Teresa's head. Like I said before the head has the most personal significance to Clare it's not surprising that she choose that first and does not mean she knew you have to use the head for the process to become a Claymore.

I'm not really sure why you're proposing if Clare had a better understanding she would choose Yoma flesh vs Teresa's flesh. Her decision was emotional not rational and good luck trying to find Yoma flesh in a town filled with dead villagers and bandits.

As for the stigmata if it was a scar not being enough to gross out the bandits like others have said these people would not be used to surgical injuries. It could be a wound that is looks fresh, is still pink or look diseased which is plenty disgusting.
Spoiler for Real Life Scars from "Keloid" obviously don't open if easily grossed out:
I don't believe it was as emotional as you seem to think it was. Sure the "I want to kill Priscilla" reaction was purely emotional, but just look at how Clare went about reacting to it. She knew that as a human she could not win, and thus choose to become a Claymore. This is a rational decision, as is figuring out how to do it and carrying it out. It would not surprise me greatly if, in the event that the Clare saw a youma foot on Teresa that she'd not cut off one of Teresa's feet herself. I mean how much more creapy is that compared to carrying around a severed human head?

As for the youma - you mis-remembered. The reason Teresa and Clare were staying at an inn when Irene's group found them, was because they killed a youma in that town and saved a little boy - no bandits, no bodies, one fresh youma.

As for the scarring you're going on about. There are much worse than the ones you're showing - wiki smallpox for example. Fact is that on a Claymore this region is localized. And past a slightly unpleasant initial surprise, it'd be easy to shrug it away when the rest of her is still a perfect 10. It's not like normal scars like those will bite or anything.

Last edited by Cyclone; 2011-03-05 at 14:17. Reason: spelling
Old 2011-03-05, 14:06   Link #443
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Clare had three choices. Take Teresa's entire body which would be difficult given it's size.
I don't know about Clare but I'd take both head and torso back to my lab and experiment
Old 2011-03-05, 14:07   Link #444
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
I don't know about Clare but I'd take both head and torso back to my lab and experiment
ryus is into necrophilia ?
Old 2011-03-05, 14:09   Link #445
BlackMagister

Quote:
I don't believe it was as emotional as you seem to think it was. Sure the "I want to kill Priscilla" reaction was purely emotional, but just look at how Clare went about reacting to it. She knew that as a human she could not win, and thus choose to become a Claymore. This is a rational decision, as is figuring out how to do it and carrying it out. It would not surprise me greatly if, in the event that the Clare saw on youma foot on Teresa that she'd not cut off one of Teresa's feet herself. I mean how much more creapy is that compared to carrying around a severed human head?

As for the youma - you mis-remembered. The reason Teresa and Clare were staying at an inn when Irene's group found them, was because they killed a youma in that town and saved a little boy - no bandits, no bodies, one fresh youma.

As for the scarring you're going on about. There are much worse than the ones you're showing - wiki smallpox for example. Fact is that on a Claymore this region is localized. And past a slightly unpleasant initial surprise, it'd be easy to shrug it away when the rest of her is still a perfect 10. It's not like normal scars like those will bite or anything.
Expect she didn't cut off Teresa's feet. The part she picked was the most likely human body part she would choose for remembering Teresa so even if the head is the required body part she would have picked it up first regardless.

Yes got the towns confused, but like I said even when Clare has a much greater understanding of the process to become a Claymore (she is a trainee) she has no regrets about Teresa's flesh being put inside her instead of a Yoma's even though this should make her weaker and more difficult to kill Priscilla.

The point about the scarring I showed was not to say this is the grossest thing but just scars can be gross. Yagi is not showing us the stigmata because either he thinks the readers would be grossed out or he wants to say it's an unimaginable horror that can't be drawn kind of thing. Just like a story might talk about the most beautiful picture ever but only show character's reactions because beauty is subjective.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:11   Link #446
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Yagi is not showing us the stigmata because either he thinks the readers would be grossed out or he wants to say it's an unimaginable horror that can't be drawn kind of thing. Just like a story might talk about the most beautiful picture ever but only show character's reactions because beauty is subjective.
it may be for another reason, up to this point while we have seen AB's nude yagi has not done human nudity , considering the location it would be next to impossible to show it without the breasts (Ophelia reached down the top of Claires shirt so its towards the upper torso side).
Old 2011-03-05, 14:15   Link #447
Vinak
Procrastinator

Quote:

The point about the scarring I showed was not to say this is the grossest thing but just scars can be gross. Yagi is not showing us the stigmata because either he thinks the readers would be grossed out or he wants to say it's an unimaginable horror that can't be drawn kind of thing. Just like a story might talk about the most beautiful picture ever but only show character's reactions because beauty is subjective.

heh yea....thanks to the internet, we know there is going to be at least one person somewhere into that kind of thing. So it was probably pretty smart on Yagi's part to never show the actual scaring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_kenshin View Post
it may be for another reason, up to this point while we have seen AB's nude yagi has not done human nudity , considering the location it would be next to impossible to show it without the breasts (Ophelia reached down the top of Claires shirt so its towards the upper torso side).
...wut?
plenty of human nudity in the story. Unless you don't consider claymore warriors human.

then the half awakening thing...
Old 2011-03-05, 14:16   Link #448
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
ryus is into necrophilia ?
I said Lab not bed... I'd plan on bring her back from the dead!

Afterwards she can reward me anyway she sees fit!

While killing Priscilla would be my #4 goal, I could fore fill it by completing my #1 goal of bringing my goddess back to life. Then also complete my #2 goal of winning Teresa's heart by completing my #3 goal of saving Clare from the path she choose and presenting her unharmed to Teresa upon her revival. Plus with Clare there I couldn't do any necrophilia without Teresa finding out later, so clearly I wouldn't do that.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:22   Link #449
Vinak
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
I said Lab not bed... I'd plan on bring her back from the dead!

Afterwards she can reward me anyway she sees fit!

While killing Priscilla would be my #4 goal, I could fore fill it by completing my #1 goal of bringing my goddess back to life. Then also complete my #2 goal of winning Teresa's heart by completing my #3 goal of saving Clare from the path she choose and presenting her unharmed to Teresa upon her revival. Plus with Clare there I couldn't do any necrophilia without Teresa finding out later, so clearly I wouldn't do that.
*snorts*

So you're saying you would behave yourself only cause Teresa would find out later?
Old 2011-03-05, 14:24   Link #450
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
...wut?
plenty of human nudity in the story. Unless you don't consider claymore warriors human.

since when?

we have seen AB's breasts (Agatha, Ophelia , Priscilla etc) but we have never seen a detailed (so the outline of Teresa does not count from Claires flashback) nudity of a human. By which I mean the inclusion of nipples.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:29   Link #451
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
...wut?

We have seens asses and side boobs but we never got a full frontal shot of a naked human or half human in Claymore.

Quote:
By which I mean the inclusion of nipples.
We can see one of Clare's nipples when she emerges from the Destroyer and Deneve walked around for five chapters or so with a nipple showying.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:31   Link #452
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJB View Post
We can see one of Clare's nipples when she emerges from the Destroyer and Deneve walked around for five chapters or so with a nipple showying.
hmm interesting, ok i take it back then ; I know viz shade out the nipples as much as possible even with the AB's so guess that would explain why I never seen them.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:38   Link #453
Cyclone
Transient Guest

How quickly you forget Jean's birthday suit...
Old 2011-03-05, 14:39   Link #454
evil_kenshin

Quote:
wasn't it sorta not shown though, she was nude but not (though again I may have forgot/it being shaded out in viz version) in a detailed way.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:44   Link #455
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haegar
On Rubel stealing Teresa's head: it is of course possible but I doubt it. Considering #1 went rogue and #2-#5 were on the hunt there should have been at least three handlers present. Would have been quite the risk to take souvenirs imho - adn at the time he had no clue if he'd benefit from it other than piss of Dae
Well, technically there should have been a handler nearby, but just how close is another question. Plus the fight made rather rapid progress out of the city before the big climax, so it would have taken a while for any MiBs near the city to catch up.

Regardless, they obviously weren't present for a fair period of time after the fight's conclusion simply due to the fact that Clare recovered from her crying jag and wandered off with Teresa's head without anyone stopping her. Where she found Rubel was in another town entirely. Oh, and Irene wandered off in the interim as well.

@Gooral: Several little points I want to try to answer.

Quote:
You also haven't explained why all Claymores have already made up their minds, before actually seeing that MiB are lying to them.
Well, I was actually trying to show that they hadn't made up their minds until the moment the speech Lackey #2 gave was completed.

Quote:
They haven't met Deneve's team yet so they can't verify whether what Miria said was true
Technically, I'm not sure that Deneve's team could do anything to verify Miria's statements. At worst you could consider them to have conspired together to present a unified, false story. At best, they work together with Miria, so obviously they share similar beliefs. In neither case is a verification from them terribly useful.

Quote:
knows for certain they're still Claymores
Well, there is that, yes. However one might also say that that's a fairly simple matter to verify (do they still have blond hair?), which means that if Miria was lying about it the jig is up immediately once Deneve's group arrives. Hanging your entire deception on a lie that would be so easily revealed makes the possibility of it being a lie rather low.

Quote:
As you've noticed they were ignoring MiB but when Miria showed up all of them gave her full attention.
I wouldn't say they were ignoring the MiBs until then. I think that if they had already turned to Miria's side that their expressions would have been more defiant/confrontational. I think they were despairing as the last hope that the Org was telling them the truth was washed away. I don't think they decided to follow Miria until the very last moment.

Quote:
And while I could believe that there was a place in HQ where Miria could have been stored/kept I doubt that this place could fit all Claymores and MiB wouldn't notice it. So either Miria would have to repeat the same thing many times to many Claymores that would visit her in a rotative manner (not sure how to say it in English, what I mean is that they would have to visit her in small groups to not bring attention) or they would have to listen to the information Miria had, indirectly (which would make it even less believable assuming Claymores would like to share it with others which we can't be sure of, I would think that some would react like Galatea).
You're right, there's is no way Miria could have been "holding court" or whatever, explaining everything in a huge speech to all the Claymores all gathered at once. There's no way she could convince everyone that way. And having her explain it each Claymore over and over is also silly considering her condition. Plus, people don't become convinced simply by being told. They need to discuss it with friends, argue with rivals, and generally mull it over.

What I envision is that she told a few important things to a few people (likely the highest ranking Claymores, who are the most likely to stand guard over her), that information got told to other groups of Claymores, and it generally spread from the rest talking to each other. Questions to be answered can filter back up, and the process repeats.

You end up having something akin to this forum, where people each have different concerns, and a few things to say, so a few people are discussing one topic back and forth (eg: was Teresa's head used in Clare's Claymore-fication?), with occasional input from others, until you reach a point where the silly stuff is removed and the important questions remain, which can then filter back up as a question for Miria.

Quote:
The main problem I have with all this is that MiB are being presented as idiots who can't even manage their own backyard and yet somehow they're planning to win the war. They can't manage one spy and their own creations. I would prefer that instead of lowering Miria's opponents intelligence Yagi would increase her own.
I in no way think that the MiB are idiots. They are scientists. Through long association they trust each other, more or less (personal rivalries and likes/dislikes still hold). Someone as gifted as Rubel is at subtle manipulations is extremely hard to pin down at the best of times, and for scientists used to dealing with experimental failures, having minor setbacks occur is par for the course. I'm sure there are plenty who dislike Rubel on general principal (his perpetual smile, his oily demeanor), but dislike for someone doesn't mean they're a spy.

Basically, my perspective here is of someone whose real life work involves scientific research and government agencies. The MiBs' behavior and interactions thus far all fit into the bounds of what I'd consider 'normal'. Well, Dae is slightly outside the bounds of 'normal' >.>

The MiBs have come to expect a certain range of behavior from the Claymores over literally decades of work. Probably 90% of all Claymores have never caused a real problem. They go where directed, do what they're told, and don't make a fuss. They even take a voluntary death if they're about to burn out. Every once in a while one of them goes a little spuffy (Ophelia) or picks up a bit of a rebellious streak (Clare), but those are isolated incidents and only cause momentary fluctuations in the overall pattern.

Those who deal with the Claymores become numb to it. Day in, day out for years on end, the Claymores behave as expected. If one or two decide to cause trouble, there's plenty more to take them down and replace them. If the sheet gets a bit wrinkly with lots of minor issues, do a mass purge (Pieta) and start from a nice clean set that won't have any of those issues built up.

To the MiBs, the Claymores are a known quantity. They are no longer interesting to study. They are last year's project. They've been pretty much completely handed over to the middle management tier so that the head scientists can get on with the important, cutting-edge research.

The problem is that none of them have ever read Dilbert.

I'll grant that there is still a degree of uncertainty regarding how well that full agreement took place. It depends not only on the individual Claymores, but on what was discussed, and who they discussed it with. Bonds of internal friendships may sway them when arguments don't. At the same time, some may resist regardless of the evidence. There's a big cloud of "and then a miracle occurs" where we don't know exactly what happened because we don't know all the individuals involved.

I think the best argument that could be made in favor of a mass agreement would actually be the Pieta purge. One of the major points of Pieta was to remove troublesome elements from the ranks, as could be seen by the massive arguments that flared up in the early gathering. The new generation has then be raised specifically to not cause trouble. Note that that is not the same thing as brainwashing/indoctrination; it doesn't mean that they must be zealot patriots for the Org, but rather that they avoid certain types of personality patterns that deliberately work against the flow of cooperation. Perhaps you could say they want them to be more docile and sheep-like.

Overall, while I'm not saying your objections are unfounded, there do seem to be quite viable paths that lead to our current situation that are not completely unbelievable in themselves.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:47   Link #456
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Let's see...

Spoiler for nudity:

No visible nipple and that scar is gone. So, frankly, was Jean even really human at this point?

Also, the pink cover of volume 19. You can see one of Miria's nipples there.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:48   Link #457
evil_kenshin

Quote:
No visible nipple and that scar is gone. So, frankly, was Jean even really human at this point?
yes, though there was past speculation that the half awakening process involved the scar healing (so who knows)
Old 2011-03-05, 14:53   Link #458
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
yes, though there was past speculation that the half awakening process involved the scar healing (so who knows)
It seems to me that in Jean's case, the scar is completely gone. You can even see some flawless skin in there.
It migth have happened because she had her entire body transformed into the Awakened shape, thus healing her torso.
The real speculation should be wether or not, Jean can be called a human being at this point.
Old 2011-03-05, 14:55   Link #459
evil_kenshin

Quote:
The real speculation should be wether or not, Jean can be called a human being at this point.
why not though? she both retained her human mind + her human body.

it also means we cannot consider any of the half awakend's human too if we are not allowed to say Jean is human (its either all claymores are considered "human" or they are considered monsters so i choose human)
Old 2011-03-05, 15:00   Link #460
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
why not though? she both retained her human mind + her human body.

it also means we cannot consider any of the half awakend's human too if we are not allowed to say Jean is human (its either all claymores are considered "human" or they are considered monsters so i choose human)
The other half awakeneds did not underwent a full transformation. And really, it seems to me that all the differences between a Claymore's mind and an AB's can be explained by the power and freedom they suddenly gain.
But hey, as long as she doesn't start saying "I want to eat guts" she should still be a hybrid.