AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-05-22, 14:42   Link #1
Shadowlord
~DESU

closing ports on my router

ok, for the last couple months, some of my ports on my router have been open and i cant close them. the specific ports i want closed are the telnet (23) and
ICMP ping. also, i ran a security scan and it is telling me that port 80 should be closed, but if I close this than i would be virtually locked out from downloading.

i have a linksys firewall router and i have gone to the 192.168.1.1 web address to fix the proble,s, but aside from what my stupid little book that came with the router says, i dont know what to do.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 15:37   Link #2
brood-faun

I really don't own a linksy router how I can't tell exactly you how. Usually, you don't close a port from but rather open it(there could a option where it might let you block ports after you have logged into your router memu using the ip address you listed). Some of the important ports such as port 21, 80,110 are open by default from the router and all the other ports are closed. You can visit your manufacturer website as there ususally lot of faqs and guides regarding your router on the site.

Another thing you could do it is block certain ports using software firewall such as zonealarm.
brood-faun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 16:59   Link #3
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

are you stupid port 80 is for your internet, you block that u arnt going to be able to get on any web pages and as for port 21 thats a ftp port, you dont need to close ports you should be fine.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 18:23   Link #4
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup

Send a message via AIM to cabbit
Hm.. Shouldn't be any reason why you can't block ICMP. You shouldn't need to block telnet unless you know what's going on with it. Is someone attacking you?

For your ICMP, you should be able to go to some sort of packet filtering menu or configuration and set it's IP rante to 0.0.0.0 and destination to 0.0.0.0 from your WAN port and it'll stop those stupid robots and scripts from pinging you.

You should never block your port 80, it's essential to browsing the net.

Also, if you haven't done so, you should probably update the firmware on your router. There may be bug fixes that can make it more robust and may fix some bugs or problems you may be having.
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 18:27   Link #5
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
are you stupid port 80 is for your internet, you block that u arnt going to be able to get on any web pages and as for port 21 thats a ftp port, you dont need to close ports you should be fine.
You don't close ports from the INSIDE. Blocking port 80 means to block it for incomming traffic, it won't prevent you from doing anything except running a webserver.

Same for port 21, that's the server port, closing it won't effect you as a client.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 11:42   Link #6
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
You don't close ports from the INSIDE. Blocking port 80 means to block it for incomming traffic, it won't prevent you from doing anything except running a webserver.

Same for port 21, that's the server port, closing it won't effect you as a client.
Have you tryed blocking port 80 on your router?, try it and then speek, also dont tell me im wrong i know what im talking about i work with networks quite a bit and have my own server. port 21 is a ftp port as i said in my post, there is no reason to block it no reason to unblock it. I have yet to find any problem with opening port 21, its a ftp port. Now you may leave the tech support area and never come back.

Last edited by chris; 2004-05-23 at 14:01.
Old 2004-05-23, 15:38   Link #7
Shadowlord
~DESU

ive had port 80 blocked before, in fact, before i got my router it was always blocked. I still had the internet, i just couldn't download from certain places, so it still works with 80 blocked.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 16:03   Link #8
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

humm from my experiance in theary you shouldent have been able to view any web pages, maybe you didnt have it totally blocked, altho its a good idea to leave port 80 open, it dosent hurt anything to leave it open.
Old 2004-05-23, 20:04   Link #9
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Latest Linksys Firmware, here's a picture explaining how to do it.
Spoiler:

I don't know what the Port for PING is, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Don't forget to hit Apply.

Unless you have a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) pointed at a specific internal IP, or a port forwarded, all incoming traffic that wasn't started by NAT is ignored. I'm not exactly sure why you want this, but that's how you do it.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 00:28   Link #10
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinikuSuki
Latest Linksys Firmware, here's a picture explaining how to do it.
Spoiler:

I don't know what the Port for PING is, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Don't forget to hit Apply.

Unless you have a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) pointed at a specific internal IP, or a port forwarded, all incoming traffic that wasn't started by NAT is ignored. I'm not exactly sure why you want this, but that's how you do it.
To block PING, check the "block wan request".

Also, disable multicast, ipsec, and pptp if you do not use it.
________
BUY VAPIR VAPORIZER

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:11.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 01:06   Link #11
aliensquare

go to linksys.com

linksys.com technical support
if you go to the site, there is a support page which has live chatting system with the people there. its just like the phone.
aliensquare is offline   Reply With Quote