AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2014-01-07, 11:14   Link #1
amatsunagi
Shi(n)mai

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari [WN]

Original Title : 盾の勇者の成り上がり
Alternative Title: The Rising of the Shield Hero
Author : Aneko Yusagi (アネコユサギ)
Illustrator : Minami Seira (弥南 せいら)
Publisher : MF Books

Spoiler for Novel Cover Illustration:

Summary : Iwatani Naofumi is summoned to another world to become one of the 4 heroes, namely the Shield Hero. Starting out with poor popularity and labeled as the weakest, Naofumi found himself betrayed on the 3rd day of his adventure. Losing faith and money, all that left is just his shield... vowing to exact revenge to those who had betrayed him, Naofumi path is......

News from the Author said this will start serialization in comic flapper later, with Aiya Kyuu as illustrator.

This is a good read, and I really really liked this, as it is similar to The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor with a little spice of Ubel Blatt, though not as dark as the latter.
amatsunagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 11:32   Link #2
BW95
Banned

Similar to Moonlight Sculptor? I don't see the connection, but this looks promising. Harem?
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 15:06   Link #3
amatsunagi
Shi(n)mai

Quote:
Looking from Protagonist quality:
- Both has a certain dark side to them that stems from certain trauma, and this dark side will become the driving force behind their growth and goal. In Weed case, it is greed to gather as much money to become success once more (and for his family as well); In Naofumi case, it is wrath to exact revenge and be more successful than the other heroes (also so that he can comeback to his world).
- Both are hard-working, and focused too much on the practical things that they can be a jerk to other people (cold-hearted, for example) but inside their heart, they're actually very kind.
- Both has crappy class that's very weak at start but grows awesome utilizing menial skills (cooking, production skills, etc). in Weed case, it's Sculptor class-type which is unsuitable for fight. In Naofumi case, it's the restriction on Shield Hero class, he can't use weapons and thus, can only defend.

Looking from plot-wise:
- Both started from the lowest start, and during their journey it is full of boos and jeers from the other, but thanks to their protagonist luck and hard work, they slowly crawl up, and other people start to see them in a different light.

Looking from Setting-wise:
- Both world are set in a medieval world. in LMS, it is the world of game. But in this series, it is in another world that works like game.
I think above points are enough. There are others that I might failed to remember or notice but could be used as a point of similarities for both series.

Lastly, yes this is Harem. Starting from zero, he will gather party members and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) to him, lots of party member he gained are female.
Old 2014-01-07, 17:29   Link #4
bakapervert
A pervert

Looks interesting from your description of the protagonist. Hope I can read it someday.
bakapervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 18:06   Link #5
Vezon

Is it comparable to Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka? hehe harem sounds nice.
Old 2014-01-07, 18:16   Link #6
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatsunagi View Post
I think above points are enough. There are others that I might failed to remember or notice but could be used as a point of similarities for both series.

Lastly, yes this is Harem. Starting from zero, he will gather party members and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) to him, lots of party member he gained are female.
I wouldn't call Weed's motivation dark and you're crazy if you think Weed's kind deep down inside.

So a few questions...
1. Does the protagonist come from modern Japan?
2. How does he compensate for his lack of offense?
3. What are these heroes supposed to do? Is there a demon king somewhere?
Old 2014-01-08, 07:02   Link #7
amatsunagi
Shi(n)mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezonisdead View Post
Is it comparable to Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka? hehe harem sounds nice.
I don't know if this is the same as Dungeon deai, since I haven't read that one (it is in my read list).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
I wouldn't call Weed's motivation dark and you're crazy if you think Weed's kind deep down inside.

So a few questions...
1. Does the protagonist come from modern Japan?
2. How does he compensate for his lack of offense?
3. What are these heroes supposed to do? Is there a demon king somewhere?
Weed's dark enough to me, his greed is insatiable, to the point of squeezing or wringing every last bit of thing he can use, literally. Normally people don't go that far (let just say he is like Uncle Scrooge). But then again, his actions, although not for charitable act, is motivated by the need to care for his family, especially his little sister. Even if he didn't realized it, he actually did care for others, that's why I said he is kind, (his teammates, his teacher, etc).

Okay that's enough rant about Weed ^^

While answering all of your question, I'll talk more about the series.

Spoiler:

Spoiler for Raftalia or Laftalia:

Naofumi ways of adventuring is party style and he is on supportive role. The shield grant him boost in stats, mainly defense and new skill to use such as imprisoning target, heal, guarding, etc.
Spoiler:

Last edited by amatsunagi; 2014-01-08 at 11:23.
Old 2014-01-08, 07:30   Link #8
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

The part about him taking slaves and how they're treated pisses me the F off but this still sounds interesting anyway.
Old 2014-01-08, 07:48   Link #9
BW95
Banned

Quote:
I don't know if this is the same as Dungeon deai, since I haven't read that one (it is in my read list).

Weed's dark enough to me, his greed is insatiable, to the point of squeezing or wringing every last bit of thing he can use, literally. Normally people don't go that far (let just say he is like Uncle Scrooge). But then again, his actions, although not for charitable act, is motivated by the need to care for his family, especially his little sister. Even if he didn't realized it, he actually did care for others, that's why I said he is kind, (his teammates, his teacher, etc).

Spoiler for Summary:

Naofumi ways of adventuring is party style and he is on supportive role. The shield grant him boost in stats, mainly defense and new skill to use such as imprisoning target, heal, guarding, etc.
Spoiler:
Son of a bitch. I always thought those aspects as more comedic than dark. Korean novels like these don't have much depth to them. This shares more similarities to Ark. Another Korean novel with a similar character and setting.

Thanks for the info dump, but I think you should put those in spoiler tags.

I'm guessing this is a harem?
Did this slave magically grow up into the beast woman on the cover of the first novel?
So currently how is our protagonist holding up compared to the other heroes?

Last edited by BW95; 2014-01-09 at 21:46.
Old 2014-01-08, 08:02   Link #10
@GEMC

is there a translation or summary of every volume of these already?
@GEMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 08:12   Link #11
oplover
Usually a lurker

Quote:

The story starts with 4 people from different world summoned there to become heroes, they are:
Amagi Ren - Hero of Sword, 16 years old, High-school student. Bishounen (more to the girly type) and cool.
Kitamura Motoyasu - Hero of Spear, 21 years old, University student. Handsome guy, and easy going.
Kawasumi Itsuki - Hero of Bow, 17 years old, High-school student. Calm and well mannered.
Iwatani Naofumi - Hero of Shield, 20 years old, University student. typical unsociable otaku, but friendlier and easygoing.

They are summoned from japan, albeit different world with the world Ren, Motoyasu and Itsuki came from are far more advanced in technology than where Naofumi came from. After that, the King, Orto Clay Merulomarg, explained that the 4 heroes are summoned to repel the calamity that threaten the kingdom of Merulomarg. They cannot return to their world unless they finish the task of saving the world. The king also explain about Status Magic, a magic in this world which enabled people to check their own status. Naofumi checked his status and he found:

Name: Iwatani Naofumi
Job Class: Shield Hero Lv1
Equipment:
- Small Shield (Legendary Equipment)
- Clothes from another world
Skill: None
Magic: None.

The King then told them to rest, and they go to the guest room, checking and learning about their weapon. Naofumi found that they weapon are equipped with Help function (Tutorial, glossary, etc) and Translation function (Automatic translation of this world language by speaking and listening, not writing). After that they each talked a bit about themselves. They each agreed that this world are really game-alike. Ren and Motoyasu added that this world system are somehow similar to the game in their world (Their world already embraced the VRMMO technology). Itsuki only play consumer game but at least has basic understanding, only Naofumi who has very little knowledge, therefore, making him an amateur. The other three ridicule him a bit, saying that Shield class is unpopular, loser class that only has good defense at start but later on will hard to catch up with others.

The next day, They gathered in front of the King. They are required to travel separately from other heroes, therefore several people from the castle will join them in their adventure as party members. Result:
Ren: 5 people
Motoyasu: 4 people (3 girls)
Itsuki: 3 people
Naofumi: 0 people.

The King explained that there are rumor about Naofumi being an amateur than the rest (apparently someone is eavesdropping on the heroes chat yesterday) making him even more unpopular. In the end, one girl, Mein Sufi from Motoyasu party joined him. The King gave Naofumi 800 gold to recruit new talent, while the others only received 600 gold. Naofumi then goes to purchase new equipments but he then learned he couldn't equip weapon, making him even more hopeless for an offensive. Naofumi, by suggestion from Main buy a chain mail, and new equipment for Mein. They head out to the plain area outskirt of the city. Naofumi has difficulty fighting since he has very low attack (punching), but on the other side, he doesn't even feel pain from the monster attack. Mein comfort him. Later, after fighting a bit, they rested at inn, on different room. The next day, Naofumi found all his equipment (clothes included) and his money (except small changes) disappear. All that left is his shield in his wrist (and boxer pants). Naofumi goes to the room next door, but didn't found Mein. Still not understanding what happening, he deduced he is robbed by thief. Suddenly, two soldiers roughly bring him back to the castle, there he found Mein, is sobbing, while the King, other heroes and people there looking at him with contempt and hatred. When Naofumi going to report he is being robbed, the King bellowed at him, Naofumi couldn't understand. Mein then explain that Naofumi forced himself on her. Naofumi tried to plead for his innocence, however no one believes him. He is even more shocked when he sees his chain mail, is equipped by Motoyasu. Mein makes a mocking gesture, sticking her tongue out at him (unseen by others), and Naofumi finally realize he is betrayed, not only by Mein but also by the King and other Heroes. It is all clear that at the start of his summoning, no one is looking at him as hero, but a nuisance, everyone is making fun of him. He is soon filled with anger and throw the rest of money he have to Motoyasu. The King couldn't execute Naofumi as he is still a Hero, so he pardoned him, but will not support him anymore. Naofumi walks away, and on that day, the rumour spread far, his reputation goes down hill and he lost everything...

2 week later, he managed to get several money from selling drop items to pay for new cheap equipment at the weapon shop. When people still ridicule him or making fun of him, he let them taste Balloon monster hidden beneath his cape to attack those people (if you look at the cover of vol 1, you will sea orange monsters under his cape, Naofumi intentionally keep those monster for this kind of occasion. He is fine since his defense his very high, thus he didn't feel any pain at all even when bitten). Not only his personality changed drastically, he is even more known notoriously for his unfriendly attitude and bad deeds. Later he learned more about his shield, His shield can absorb any material and parts of monster, fulfilling requirement needed for unlocking new shield, and granting him increment in stats and new skill. He can change the form of his shield, to use many skills granted by the shield (later he will acquire skills to increase quality of item he made, ranging from food, medicine, weapon, armor, etc). There is only one problem, he cannot adventure alone. No matter what, he is not suited for attacking, he can only defend himself and others, therefore he need party members. But he didn't trusted other, they will someday betray him. At this time, someone offer him a solution: purchasing slave. Slave will never betray their master, because they are controlled by a magic to force their master order unto them, any act of betrayal or desertion will kill the slave. At first, he is offered a werewolf at Lv66, but Naofumi refused, as it is not useful on long run. Naofumi asked for small and cheap slave, saying even if it's weak, he will train them. Then Naofumi managed to get a slave at cheap price, sickly little girl at age of 10 who is a Human Beast of Raccoon race (Merulomarg is a country with human right, so there will never be human slaves, however Sub-human or Human Beast are exception). This slave name is, Laftalia / Raftalia.

Spoiler:
This seems very interesting. Along the journey did he also get some clues about going back to his world?
oplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 08:21   Link #12
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplover View Post
This seems very interesting. Along the journey did he also get some clues about going back to his world?
The answer was in the quote. They can't return until they beat the bad guy.
Old 2014-01-08, 11:22   Link #13
amatsunagi
Shi(n)mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libros View Post
The part about him taking slaves and how they're treated pisses me the F off but this still sounds interesting anyway.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Son of a bitch. I always thought those aspects as more comedic than dark. Korean novels like these don't have much depth to them. This shares more similarities to Ark. Another Korean novel with a similar character and setting.

Thanks for the info dump, but I think you should put those in spoiler tags.

I'm guessing this is a harem?
Did this slave magically grow up into the beast woman on the cover of the first novel?
So currently how is our protagonist holding up compared to the other heroes?
Since the info above is just 1 or 2 chapter of first volume, I thought it is not that much of big spoiler but I'll do so

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @GEMC View Post
is there a translation or summary of every volume of these already?
Nope, I think this is one of those out-of-radar series, coming out from unpopular publisher or Light novel Imprint
Old 2014-01-08, 11:50   Link #14
black_cat1

Well, something about politic of the world

Spoiler for spoiler:
black_cat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 12:07   Link #15
amatsunagi
Shi(n)mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_cat1 View Post
Well, something about politic of the world

Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2014-01-08, 12:13   Link #16
black_cat1

Quote:
Spoiler:
Yep, that's what I mean.
black_cat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 12:33   Link #17
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Spoiler for Just to be sure:
Old 2014-01-08, 14:01   Link #18
omegasereon

Looks very interesting. Are there any more spoilers/summaries?
omegasereon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 18:26   Link #19
sandhy88
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

There is anymore description about the other heroes? (the sword, spear, & bow). We already know that Motoyasu was a f**king bastard, but there are any story about them? How was their development?
Old 2014-01-08, 19:25   Link #20
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Spoiler:

Since the info above is just 1 or 2 chapter of first volume, I thought it is not that much of big spoiler but I'll do so

Spoiler:

Nope, I think this is one of those out-of-radar series, coming out from unpopular publisher or Light novel Imprint
Thanks! Just a few more questions.

Does mentally maturity come with this growth spurt or is she like Kon from Tokyo Ravens?
I'm guessing Laftalia plays the role of main damage dealer?
Does she call him master?
Has his relationship with her reached romantic or at least one-sided romance?
Is the blondie some sort of healer?
What is the scale of the challenges Naofumi faces every volume? I can't imagine it being like Moonlight Sculptor where Weed always gets roped into some huge Crusade with the bare minimum of forces.
Is this Kawasumi Itsuki male or female? I'm trying to confirm if all the heroes here are guys.

It seems a little weird for the King to betray him just for something his predecessor had done.

Does it look like the author's going to use Naofumi's trauma to further his character development? I can imagine him freeing Laftalia from her slavery under dire circumstances thereby overcoming his trust issues.

Tags
alternate universe, bitch, dark hero, goddess heroine, harem, hero of the kitchen, rpg, shield, webnovel