Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-11-18, 12:36   Link #1
Issac
Spiral Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Issac
mp4 playback woes in WMP, vista 32bit

Hey everyone, I feel kinda silly asking for help with codecs, but I've put a decent amount of effort into this with no luck.

I actually fell over when VLC choked on mp4 playback, too.

Specifically what happens is the video doesn't sync with the audio on playback. The video lags and the sound just keeps chugging on, and it gets worse and worse, up to 30 seconds or more of delay.

This is happening on both my laptop and desktop, both with ready and willing video cards. My media player of choice is WMP (Windows Media Player) only because it's clean and simple in Vista. I used to be into winamp, but I gave up on it when I needed to organize my music, it's too messy.

Opinions aside, I just want a pack of codecs that will work in pretty much anything. I used to use just Vista Codec Pack by shark007, but they're failing me at mp4 playback, and I have no idea why. I'm actually trying to watch Soul Eater, it's encoded in mp4, but I'm not sure about any more specific details. If you want me to find out, let me know what to use to do so and I'll paste any info you need.

I tried uninstalling every codec on my PC and laptop, including quicktime, and doing a fresh install of CCC. No luck there, mp4 playback was still choking. So I uninstalled CCC and installed the latest version of vista codec pack. Unfortunately that also didn't work.

I'm not sure if I gave all the info required so please let me know if any more is needed.
Old 2008-11-18, 13:22   Link #2
Shadow Kira01

Are you sure the problem is not related to your video file itself? Try other mp4 files as a method of testing...

Go to Game Trailers and get a small sized mp4 game trailer to test if it has the same lags or not, as a method to determine whether your problem is related to the codecs and video player or not.

For a decent video player, get the latest version of the VLC Player.

For codecs, try these links:

Combined Community Codec Pack
FFDShow
Quicktime 7

Hope this solves your problem! (^-^)
Old 2008-11-18, 19:22   Link #3
Issac
Spiral Enthusiast

I'm at work right now, but thanks for the reply.

I'll try another mp4 when I get home. I had used the latest version of VLC when playing it back which is why I was surprised.

So try CCC with FFDShow? That's one thing I haven't tried.
Old 2008-11-19, 04:56   Link #4
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issac View Post
I'm at work right now, but thanks for the reply.

I'll try another mp4 when I get home. I had used the latest version of VLC when playing it back which is why I was surprised.

So try CCC with FFDShow? That's one thing I haven't tried.
No! Just install CCCP, it includes ffdshow. Use one of the included players.

Also stay away from QuickTime if you can help it.
Old 2008-11-19, 08:39   Link #5
Issac
Spiral Enthusiast

Wish I could stay away from quicktime, but for some reason my kodak easyshare camera has some sort of relation with apple, it records video in *.mov. It does a great job at it, that tiny mic on the side actually records a lot, but the format is a bit annoying.

I tried to install this alternative pack that just has the codec so the player isn't hanging around, but I didn't have any luck unfortunately.

I'm going to try starting fresh with CCCP again.
Old 2008-11-19, 09:36   Link #6
emptyeighty

You can always use QTLite, which installs only the needed QT components for playback. Since .mov and .mp4 are related, it is also possible to play most .mov files with Haali + ffdshow (both included in CCCP). See the explanation here.
Old 2008-11-26, 11:16   Link #7
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Try installing CoreAVC. Its not free though, but it might help. Also, for your laptop, are you using the original power cord? I had the same problem and i found out it was because i was using the wrong power cord that only powered the laptop, but didn't charge the battery. ended up that it didnt provide enough power to the comp to run high end vids.