AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-06-17, 23:23   Link #261
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Just heard, Funamation got the rights to Ookiku.
Old 2008-06-18, 07:57   Link #262
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Ookiku Furikabutte

Just announced. Funimation has acquired the rights to this great series.
Old 2008-06-18, 08:30   Link #263
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Just heard, Funamation got the rights to Ookiku.
Now let's hope that extra boost of loot can lead to a quicker season 2.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 11:08   Link #264
cmanimevids3000
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to cmanimevids3000 Send a message via AIM to cmanimevids3000 Send a message via MSN to cmanimevids3000 Send a message via Yahoo to cmanimevids3000
They had better not murder it if they do I will personally call up Gen Fukunaga and tell him to go to hell.
cmanimevids3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 17:01   Link #265
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Darn. With only one episode left to finish the series and they go and license it.

It's almost as if they were waiting for it...
Old 2008-06-18, 17:48   Link #266
vel
I'm in despair?

I have finished reading the 4 volume.

I can't help being fascinated by Oofuri ;C).
vel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 17:57   Link #267
eris_sama

I think it's interesting they're calling it Big Windup instead of Swing Big so the emphasis is on the pitcher.
Can the Japanese be translated both ways?
eris_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-18, 18:26   Link #268
vel
I'm in despair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eris_sama View Post
I think it's interesting they're calling it Big Windup instead of Swing Big so the emphasis is on the pitcher.
Can the Japanese be translated both ways?
Big windup means the motion in which a pitcher throw a ball, on the contrary swing big dose the motion a batter hit a ball in.
So, they are different and had better not mix translation XD.
vel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 21:19   Link #269
eris_sama

Here's something I've been wondering about for a while. In the US professional baseball, the head of the team is the manager and his assistants are called coaches.
I think in the anime Momoe is called the coach and the girl who helps out is called the manager. I think that's also the case in the US high schools. Why is that?
Old 2008-06-22, 00:30   Link #270
imbehindyou
turn around...

I finished the series few weeks ago (in diff. language) and it was awesome! I finished it in like 2 or 3 days. Although Mihashi was somewhat annoying at first, I got over it. Well, Abe's attitude toward that helped me a lot. Stress reliever.

I read newest chapter of manga too, and I hope they make season 2.

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 03:50   Link #271
Elvanvitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eris_sama View Post
Here's something I've been wondering about for a while. In the US professional baseball, the head of the team is the manager and his assistants are called coaches.
I think in the anime Momoe is called the coach and the girl who helps out is called the manager. I think that's also the case in the US high schools. Why is that?
well i think you have to look at the actual terms. in high school the coaches actually coach the players. making them better, etc. at the big league level the manager generally isn't the person that does this. they have the pitching and hitting coaches that work with and 'coach' the players when they are struggling.
Elvanvitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 18:51   Link #272
Prestwick
The Victorian

Send a message via MSN to Prestwick
Cripes a Baseball anime! Whatever next?! A Rugby anime?!

*prays and hopes*

I'm a fan of Cricket so I watch Baseball from time to time and I found the anime absolutely fascinating. You can get lost in the strategic permutations that span possibly multiple episodes and individual man battles. The personal battles that each player had to endure in order to play at their best were really great to watch.

Now, lets have a Rugby anime! We came close with FMP Fumoffu..darned close and that was absolutely hilarious! Something along those lines would be genius!
Prestwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 02:48   Link #273
Meis Triumph
The Spirit Blacksmith

American football?
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=2441

Anyway, im now watching this anime, and im loving it, is really funny. I must say this anime is really good, well at least i think so.
Meis Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 03:41   Link #274
shrek

is there a second season for this series . I find it odd that they stop in just 1 tournarment
shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 03:49   Link #275
jpwong

It's probably the lack of manga. I don't know exactly where the manga is in terms of the magazine issues, but I believe for the volume bound stuff they're only around Volume 10 or so. The anime covers all the way up to the end of Volume 8, so unless they start going original story, they don't exactly have a lot of material to work with.
Old 2009-01-12, 11:05   Link #276
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Partly a lack of manga. The Oofuri anime ending point is at the end of the 30th monthly instalment of the monthly serialisation. The last bound manga volume released is Volume 11 (instalments #39 to #42). As at December 2008, the manga serialisation reached the 62nd monthly instalment. There is enough for a second season of similar length.

I've read up to #62 and the story has not ended yet
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 00:05   Link #277
mit7059

raep time just released the first installment from the 11th volume, along with an apology for taking so long. There's no need to apologize, I'm just so happy I get more Oofuri!

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 20:46   Link #278
eris_sama

I've caught up with scanlations and now there are more girls! Hope they make an appearance in the anime sequel. Just found out the manga is up to at least 65 so that should be enough material for several sequels!

Last edited by eris_sama; 2009-03-25 at 12:07.
Old 2009-08-21, 03:20   Link #279
Theowne
耳をすませば

I just finished the entire second half of Oofuri in one day. That second match was so incredibly captivating that I just couldn't stop until I watched by the end. If you had asked me earlier if a TEN episode long baseball match would have been that addictive and interesting, I wouldn't have been able to picture it. I mean, a play by play run through of an entire nine-inning game? Yet....I was captivated and couldn't stop until I was through the whole thing. And about a month ago I had absolutely zero interest in the sport. But I'm glad that I "broke into" baseball with Cross Game first, because I can tell that my enjoyment of the series really was helped by having some knowledge of what was going on.

So there was some discussion earlier in this thread where someone said the series was more about the baseball and someone else said it was more about the relationships with baseball as a background.

My opinion is that it this is a story which basically shows all the best possibilities of baseball, particularly high school baseball, the friendships and camaraderie that can be formed, the teamwork, the hard-earned runs and disappointing mistakes, and of course the immense reward of winning. It never strays from its one chosen genre, and instead squeezes every possible nuance. It never wanders into unfamiliar territory and for that reason I can't find any faults with it - it doesn't feebly try to pull off anything outside its scope. It centers on one subject and then delivers expertly. Even showing the interaction of parents cheering on their sons! I loved the lack of "superhero" abilities conveniently coming up when necessary, or the character who suddenly becomes motivated and then hits home runs. In fact I don't think a single home run was ever scored in this anime - every run was the result of hard work. I also loved the way we also heard the opponents strategizing and responding to the main character's tactics and even after cheering on Nishiura with the characters, I couldn't help but get a bit choked up at Tousei when they lost afterwards.

While interest here on ASuki seems to be very small, I'm heartened by the success of the show in Japan, and hope that another season will be coming to us in the near future.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-08-21 at 03:46.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-21, 05:34   Link #280
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
While interest here on ASuki seems to be very small, I'm heartened by the success of the show in Japan, and hope that another season will be coming to us in the near future.
Welcome to the small group of people here in Animesuki that enjoy this show. It's good to know that Cross Game got you into baseball-related anime and which led to the classic Touch and now to Oofuri.

FWIW, recent early/advance reviews of the R1 DVD release of Oofuri part 1/2 (Episodes 1-13) by people who are watching the first time have been very positive:

J!-ENT's review - link

activeanime.com - link

What this show really needs is for people to give it a try.

Last edited by leongsh; 2009-08-21 at 05:34. Reason: typo
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, seinen, sports